IMDb > Delhi Belly (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Delhi Belly

Delhi Belly More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

DELHI BELLY (Movie Review)

Author: Saayer from United Arab Emirates
30 June 2011

Humor is relative. What's humorous to me might not be funny to you and while you laugh on something, I might not laugh on it. Humor is also circumstantial and gets rusty out of the context. However, there is some humor which is universal and is acceptable to everyone. If we apply the same theory on modern Hindi films, Andaz Apna Apna and Munna Bhai series might be the only films to go in universally accepted humor category. Some other humor examples that worked on the box office but were not universally accepted are Singh is King, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, Phir Hera Pheri, Ready, Dhamaal and Golmaal etc. Then there is another kind of humor which does not go well with the masses but has its own cult following like that of Wesa Bhi Hota Hai Part II, Mithya, Bheja Fry etc. Delhi Belly (DB) is somewhere in between the universally accepted form of humor and the subtle cult following kind of humor. Through DB and other such efforts, Hindi cinema is coming out of romantic comedies and running around the trees.

To start with, the film is hilarious. It leaves you with one laugh riot after another and does not give you a chance to fully recover from the previous one before sending you through another piece of joviality. It's mostly tongue in cheek humor but at times goes very physical as well. What works in favor of the film is its dialogues and wonderful acting even though the story does not have ground breaking stuff to offer. DB could very easily go as the best casting of the year 2011, especially with the kind of role given to Vijay Raaz. Another thing that goes in favor of DB is its short duration and fast pace.

Abhinay Deo, in his second directorial outing after a mildly interesting and mildly painful Game, has made sure that he doesn't go wrong anywhere even if he does not create a masterpiece. He has focused on technical side more to make sure that the editing is crisp and background score goes in line with the action despite no songs. Also, with an open ended climax, he seems to have left a door open for a sequel. Nonetheless, it's more of an actors' film rather than a director's film and the actors have handled their responsibility with utmost satisfaction of the director. Nobody goes overboard in humor and specially the sidekicks stick to their jobs and cinematography is as per the need. The biggest compliment that I can give DB is that it has made Shehnaz Treasurywala look bearable.

The lead trio, which has a distant similarity to the trio of The Hangover, has carried the film well on its shoulders. Imran Khan has done a very good job. This is his best performance since his debut. He looks in control and has a much improved dialogue delivery and comic timing after two lowly performances in Break Ke Baad and I Hate Luv Storys. Kunal Roy Kapoor is a welcome addition to the comic brigade. Vir Das is fantastic. A highly underrated actor, I must say. If someone needs more exposure for his talent, that's got to be Vir Das. The debutant Poorna Jagganathan surprises. She might not be the best looking new comer, but she surely is a good performer. The film, however, in my opinion, belongs to Vijay Raaz. He is in terrific form and outdoes himself. We all know what a brilliant actor he is but here he takes charge and delivers an outstanding performance as the villain. His scenes with Vladimir in the hotel and with the trio in their apartment are to die for. It's criminal to see so less of Vijay in recent times. Aamir Khan also appears at the end for an item number but that's after the film has left its mark.

There are two reasons why DB might not work with masses even though it has a release of 1400 prints which is huge. The first barrier is the language. 95% of the film is in English. The last film with such high level of English in it was Kites and it was a box office disaster, though from a different genre. The other issue is also the language but here I mean the profanity in it. Yes, it's an adult movie and has an A certificate but the explicitness that DB has, I have never seen in Hindi cinema before. In that department, it can actually put Hollywood to shame. It's that openness though, that makes DB worth watching again.

To conclude, DB is worth a watch. Actually a lot more than worth a watch but you have to have an appetite for a certain kind of humor to watch it repeatedly. Also, be careful who you are accompanying when you go to watch it and what's your level of frankness with the people you are watching it with. Definitely, not a movie to watch with your mother-in-law or your 12 year old niece.

Americans Will Like, If They Give a Chance

Author: redvelvet-1 from United States
17 July 2011

I'm reviewing this with an American point of view. First off, most non-Indian Americans might not understand what the big deal is. To us, this is nothing new. We've watched comedy like this for years. However, those of us who have some general knowledge of Indian films and Bollywood will certainly be able to appreciate just how different and important this movie is. It is like no other Indian film previously made (at least, not like any I have seen.) It's dirty, raunchy, explicit, disgusting and crude. It's also extremely witty and hilarious.

While I don't think most Americans will feel this is anything special, I *do* think a lot of them would like it, if they gave it a chance. It's the kind of American Pie like comedy that sells well here, yet I personally think it's a lot more intelligent than our normal crude comedies. Also, I'm a girl and while I may have liked it, I can see how not many other females would be into it. It's really, when it boils down to it, a guy movie, about guys, complete with their toilet habits, dirty clothes, and disgusting apartment. ;) If you don't speak Hindi, that's not a problem, since the movie is about 98% in English and the spoken parts that aren't in English, had subtitles. The only disappointment I had with the language barrier was that, in the version I saw, there were no subtitles for Aamir Khan's absolutely HILARIOUS song number at the end, where he is 'Disco Fighter'. Apparently, the lyrics for "I Hate You (Like I Love You)-In Brackets" is loaded with innuendo and double meanings, but unfortunately, I was unable to understand.

So, if you have shunned Bollywood because you can't speak Hindi, you don't have that excuse with this movie. If you have stayed away from Indian cinema because of the over the top melodramatic love story formula, you also have no excuse with this movie. Go see it. Just not with your parents or on a first date. ;)

This is how movies should be made!!

Author: Rahul Hanchinamane from India
1 July 2011

It's barely half an hour since I left the movie theater, and I'll say this - I could easily buy tickets for the rest of shows for the day and watch this movie over and over.

The whole ensemble of cast has done an awesome job. Right from the extra you see in the background to Imran Khan. Vijay Raaz really defines the term "effortless acting". Right from the start of the movie it is shown just how the real world is. Delhi Belly is unpredictable. You probably won't even try to predict what will happen next because you will be too busy trying to drink in the explosion of humor on screen.

It (the movie) is really bold in some areas. I actually am still wondering how it got through the Censor Board without taking out the stuff that I saw. If this movie has an uncensored version, I would buy it in the blink of an eye.

I am quite ecstatic that Aamir has branched out from the typical movies he produces to invest in something so uncanny. Bollywood really needs more movies like Delhi Belly. Not the pretentious love stories with the ridiculous fantastical songs every ten minutes. If you haven't watched it yet, open a new tab right now and book tickets. Really, open a new tab...NOW!!

I'd rate this movie 11/10 if it were possible.

S#!T Happens , and S#!T Excels!

Author: Soumya Mukherjee from India
1 July 2011

Bollywood has taken a big bold step with this movie , and once again , it was Aamir Khan who showed the way! He not only gave a movie that will be talked about for quite a long time , but again came to Imran's rescue, to give him a re-launch he desperately needed!

Every thing new has been tried , with the language being 90% English , the occasional Hindi comes out in the forms of those "terms of endearment" , and the lingo is something that we all dig! This one has fresh comedy, is stylish , and is worth a repeat view! All the performances were worth-watching ,especially the trio and Vijay Raaz 's !

Watch out for the "Ja Churail" number, its frigging hilarious!! And the one-liners too!

Rib tickling and hard hitting reality of urban youth

Author: saba2115 from United Arab Emirates
1 July 2011

I had liked Abhinav Deo's GAME too for its style and had not known at that time that he was directing DELHI BELLY or was from the advertising world. I mention this fact about being from the world of advertising because this would factor into the director's understanding of urban realities, most of all the language of real life.

Language is the MAIN character of this movie. The plot, the actors, the music, the songs, the chases-- all lean heavily on language and that's the most unique feature of this film. The language of the by now infamous lyrics, the "heroes" and the "villains" alike reflects the grim, gritty, sometimes squalid reality of urban India and translates it into images that are at once shocking, disgusting, entertaining and creatively ingenious.

Once the director has decided that he is going to use this language (both literally as well as metaphorically) he has complete freedom to depict urban realities-- sexual, emotional, physical, financial, marital, professional et al. The film is funny because beneath all the crudities and cuss words lies the recognition of ourselves in our day to day life, its frustrations, the curve balls that it throws us from time to time and our desperate attempts to keep our sanity in a completely insane world.

In a recent interview, Abhinav Deo thanked Amir Khan for his vision. This vision is possible only in a man who has the creative genius to shed the hypocrisy and double entrendres of Bollywood cinema and move on to a cinematic form that is so completely in tune with the 21st century India, the metamorphosis of our youth, the blurring lines that divide morality (as we knew it) from immorality, even amorality, cynicism from romanticism and so on.

The movie from start to finish is tightly held together. The cast is well chosen and so are the locales. Nothing jars in the movie. People look as much at home in a five star hotel as they do in the clogged by lanes and streets of Old Delhi. The screenplay is tautly held together by an equally taut editing. I loved Vijay Raaz who is able to depict the malevolence of a sleepy looking but deadly reptile with such finesse, the two young men who share Imran's filthy apartment and the young woman who tempts Imran to break his engagement. The contrast between the old Maruti and the red new (Santro?) car that can zip through the flyovers of Delhi is as meaningful as the black eye that Imran sports through most of the film.

I am sure some reviewers and certain sections of the audience will slam the movie for various reasons. But that is because the movie is ahead of its time and will make people uncomfortable because of its iconoclastic nature. I salute Amir and his team for this and wish them many many years of great film making.

A Nutshell Review: Delhi Belly

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
2 July 2011

Having starred in two back to back Hindi blockbusters in Ghajini and 3 Idiots, I'm guessing Aamir Khan, one of the largest stars of contemporary Hindi Cinema, is looking to spend more time behind the camera to forge a different brand of Hindi film targeted at an international audience, one that's probably sans the usual Masala formula containing song and dance routines, and creating movie magic that is within a comfortable two hour runtime. His Aamir Khan Productions have already produced the more art house fare in Dhoby Ghat, and now, Delhi Belly continues the trend to appeal to audiences around the world, stating its intention with the predominant use of English, and circling around the crime caper with a generous dose of madcap comedy.

And it worked wonders, with a very audacious, tightly knit plot that contains everything including the proverbial kitchen sink, where 3 friends and flat mates go about their usual daily business and routine, until they get inadvertently caught up with a smuggling ring with the smugglers out after their blood following a mix up of their precious cargo, and lumps of watery faeces. Yes you read that right, this is almost a Bollywood answer to Hollywood's Hangover where the protagonists go on a quest of sorts, only that it's genuinely funnier, and loads more charming, even as it does venture into toilet humour for a fair bit, and a lot more dropping of the F-bombs quite unheard of in Hindi cinema.

As far as Hindi adult comedy goes, this is probably my first, and what a ride it was. Aamir's nephew Imran Khan, to date only starring in romantic comedies, steps out of his comfort zone to play a jaded journalist to perfection, being the de-facto leader of his group of friends as he gets himself stuck in a rut when his girlfriend's family and his parents bring forth his marriage plans to the following month. Flatmates Arup (Vir Das) has to struggle with getting no respect for his cartoons from his meddling boss, while Nitin (Kunaal Roy Kapur) rounds up the trio as the photographer working with Tashi, but has his own photographic agenda to pursue that spawns its own interesting subplot. And before I forget, Nitin's the catalyst of the film with his contracting of Delhi Belly, which becomes the inevitable running joke throughout the story – watching just how he contracts it, is already worth the ticket price (and a warning we must be wary from which hawker we buy food from).

Before you know it you're thrown into the classic mixup involving mistaken identities, misplaced items, little side gags and plots that get thrown around thick, fast and furious (my favourite involves orange juice), a landlord who got blackmailed, romance, and gangsters who very well behave like, well, regular Joes and inadvertent poseurs. Comedy comes courtesy of the physically disgusting to verbal jibes, and even accents are not spared, never once the film was consciously trying to be politically correct, which would neuter its effectiveness. And it worked for Delhi Belly not coming off as trying too hard to please.

What worked wonders was the trio sharing incredibly chemistry in 3 Idiots fashion that was important to hold all the plot points together, as plot devices open, close and go full circle. Writer Akshat Verma and director Abhinay Deo are due credit to have crafted a complex narrative that was yet simple to follow, with pacing and story kept punchy and tight, and reminiscent of some of the best crime capers already seen from the West. Everything just about gelled perfectly here, with gorgeous art direction and sets to highlight some of the most disgusting living conditions in the city, and flowing cinematography that puts this right into the scheme of things with snappy editing and well crafted, natural dialogues coupled with excellent makeup. Then of course the marvelous soundtrack, with Nakkaddwaley Disco, Udhaarwaley Khisko opening the film in what I felt was one of the best in a long time.

Keep your eyes peeled for Aamir Khan himself as well, who makes the much touted cameo appearance every now and then as the character Disco Fighter, in posters, film stils, marquees and even a television show, culminating in what would be, as he hoped, the start of an Item Boy revolution. Disco Fighter serves up plenty of retro, disco fun coupled with his fair share of vulgar moves, that I think he'd fit right in if cast in the next Austin Powers film, complete with exaggerated gyrating pelvis to boot.

Delhi Belly is the best Hindi film to date for the year, and you will do yourself a disservice if you were to miss this totally. A highly recommended must watch, as it shortlists itself into the list of my top films for the year.

Discover humor... in new fashion

Author: mohanish58 from India
2 July 2011

They had to break some day. Those rope of morality, sanctimony and congeniality which had tied down so many of India's almost-awesome films have been cut open and the authentic urban Indian (who does hurl a few abuses here and there every day due to the misfortune happening to him) is now free thanks to Aamir Khan and Abhinay Deo. Still, Delhi Belly is fine filmmaking mostly due to the makers' unabashed vision and the decision to let no stone unturned in making this comedy.

To start off, Ram Sampath's mind-blowing music in the promos is what brought the first batch of audience to this movie and it has some really wacky numbers (Bhaag DK Bose, Nakkadwale Disco and Bedardi Raja to name a few). On the actors' front, Vir Das portrays his pitiable character perfectly. Imran is in a dream role and this could be his best act ever if he continues to do movies like the ones before he did Delhi Belly. Kunal Roy Kapoor's problems with gastric motions (after which the movie is named) bring down the house more than once. But it's Vijay Raaz to whom most of the misfortune happens and he, therefore reacts like a truly enraged gangster would and gives us a lesson or on how swear words are meant to be really pronounced. Purna Jagganath is the find of the film and could be Bollywood's first really non-traditional looking heroine. But still, am I the only one who found her cute?

Once Mr DK Bose (the story) begins to 'bhaag' (run) in the beginning, it hardly stops even after the end. Such is the flow of the movie that even when you're laughing your ass off to any one of your preferred situational jokes, you hardly miss the link to the next scene because the story is simple enough to be a 96 minute movie. Great storytelling by Abhinay Deo. As a bonus we're treated to a never-before item number by Aamir Khan in the end, along with some food for our ingenuity-hungry mind throughout the film.

Like all of Aamir Khan's house productions, Delhi Belly is an important film in Indian cinema history because the success of this film will directly measure the immeasurable: how much have our minds really adapted to the next generation mentality. And what all comedy filmmakers should learn from Delhi Belly is that Indians have brains not just while doing math but while watching movies too.

S&it that actually works ..

Author: siddharthasankarjana from India
1 July 2011

Delhi Belly : A never seen before fast paced Adult Humor in Bollywood . Imran Khan, Kunaal Roy Kapur, Vir Das and Vijay Raaz are awesome in their respective roles .. What will go against this movie is that this movie is not typical family movie which one average Indian family can watch together . It is also doubtful whether conservative Indian mindset can handle this movie. Its performance in the Box office will also test whether the taste of average Indian movie goers have grown up or not .. Irrespective of the film's performance in box office , it will remain a milestone movie for Bollywood industry as the first movie of a new genre of movies ..

A worth and must a watch for all (...adults!!) ..

Truly a laugh riot...but in the adult way..!!!!

Author: LakshmiKar9 from INDIA
21 September 2016

Our Bollywood industry seems to be growing up day by day and this has again proved by this film. Clearly a laugh riot with a brilliant stand up comedian Vir Das and the not so fat in real life Kunal Roy Kapoor. Our very own Mr.perfectionist aamir has rightly chosen to produce a film,which exactly uses slangs like slangs,not behind the beeps;shows kisses like kisses,makes out in bed,not hiding the lovers behind the umbrella or petals of flowers like 90s. what they do just do. there are many scenes which may give audiences the feeling of disgust but hello..it is the name of the movie itself. Shehnaz and Anusha were like an extra treat to us. we have really want to think over that if Aamir has chosen Imran for being his nephew only or he really sees the potential in him because it could have been better with a little bit Experienced actor. & last but not the least, the most famous track "Bhaag D.K.Bose" has pointed a finger (i hope you understand which finger I am talking about) to the censor board with a saying "BAN me if u can",which really deserves a bow from us.

Rough n Tough

Author: bollywood hollywood from United States
1 July 2011

Its BOLD Bollywood. Gone are the days of double meaning David Dhavan's dialogs. There is only one meaning and that's always of other side of boundary. Its straight A movie with no gimmick to fool Censor board. That's kind of openness I always admire. Delhi Belly is roller coaster ride of one and half hours where you get exactly the kind of entertainment, what movie promises to deliver. It seems Abhinay Deo has very clear picture of targeted viewers and he didn't compromise a bit to deliver them. If the trend continues we can hope to see desi version of Pulp Fiction some day (is it still too much to wish for?).

Delhi Belly is Imran's best performance till date. Having Aamir as mamu is best thing happened to him, and he is also making sure not to squander this fact. He imbibed his character till throat. You just don't see a bollywood hero Imran Khan, its always Tashi with lots of s*** around him engross you. One good thing that stood out about movie is to making sure that each character has enough camera space. And to encouraging surprise, every one of them: Kunal, Vir, Vijay gave top notch performance. For sure, these guys are going to stay in bollywood for long time.

8/10.