IMDb > Thanks for Sharing (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

I Could've Lived without Seeing Mark Ruffalo's Sex Face

Author: utgard14 from USA
26 April 2014

I have to laugh at some of the pretentious comments about this movie. Courageous? Daring? Open a window, people! The subject matter is ridiculous, in my opinion. Whenever I hear people talk about sex addiction I roll my eyes. Times we live in, I guess. It's not a comedy like the trailer made it out to be. It's a drama with some bits of 'comedy' here and there, mostly from Josh Gad, whose character we first see physically molesting a woman on a subway train. But he's an addict, folks! Not a pervert. He can't help himself. You would think any movie with Pink playing a sex addict can't be all that bad, but you'd be wrong. An overlong, boring mess of a movie rife with clichés and misplaced priorities. A low point in the careers of Ruffalo, Robbins, and Paltrow.

Sex Lives of the Recovering Addicts or "Don't play with it or it'll fall off!"

Author: Sergio Campanale from United Kingdom
8 October 2013

Made in 2012, this strange little film is now finally seeing the light of day.

Ostensibly, the film is a blend of serious "issue" drama (in this case Sex addiction and the battle to beat it using the AA 12 step programme) and a romantic comedy, though the mixture is often a little off-putting and intoxicating, as if mixed by a competent but not expert barman.

The film follows the stories of three New York "Sex Addicts anonymous" members at three distinct stages of 12 step treatment: Start - Middle - Veteran. The "vet" is Mike (Tim Robbins) who has been "sober" of both sex and other vices (drink and drugs mainly) for over 15 years and is the head guru of this circle. His protégé is Adam (Mark Ruffalo) a successful eco-businessman who is also a sex addict, and has been "clean" for 5 years. Adam has been sober enough now to have his own "paduan", in this case typical comic overweight Jewish nerd-boy doctor Neil (Josh Gad) who finds his kicks touching up women on subways, looking up fellow employees skirts and copious masturbation (no actual sex for the sad fattie though eh?) who is there courtesy of a court order and psychiatric report.

The three each have their own little "dramas" that intercutting and crossing, make up the film. Mike finds his happiness challenged when his twentysomething son Danny (Patrick Fugit) turns up out of the blue. A former drug addict who had stolen from his parents, he is eager to make amends with both his father and his mother Katie (Joely Richardson), Mike however is defensive and dismissive of his son, preferring Adam as a surrogate son figure, forcing Danny to bring up all Mikes own horrific past sins inflicted upon him and Katie, causing both a violent fight between father and son and a terrible crisis of faith in the stone cold sober guru.

Adam meanwhile is now at a place where he can have a "committed relationship" in which to allow his mended sexuality to bloom. The ideal lady appears at a party in the form of health nut and breast cancer survivor Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow) but her off hand remark about never again dating an addict (she had previous with an alcoholic) forces him to hide his condition, until she discovers it. Although their relationship continues, mistrust starts to creep in and the two are forced apart, sending Adam on his own dark night of the sexual soul. When a former conquest, Becky (Emily Meade) offers to reignite things, a strange role play game reveals her own demons and almost ends in tragedy, forcing him to reassess his direction.

Neil meantime is in constant denial, not taking the program or Adam's mentorship seriously until one trick too far gets him fired from hospital. Forced to pull himself by the bootstraps for the first time, he finds solace, companionship and mutual support with another newbie, a female, Dede (Alecia Moore, aka rock star "Pink") whose sex addiction has wrecked countless lives including her own. The two form a strong, yet healthily platonic bond, and together turn the corner once and for all.

The film's tone is a strange one. It wants to play as a romantic comedy (and is marketed as such) with drama overtones, yet ends up appearing more like one of those stern moral warning movies that various leagues for decency-morality used to put out to warn the unsuspecting of their sinful ways and force them to repent before it is too late, the kind that have been parodied to death, or become cult items ("Reefer Madness" in particular). There is a strong strain of good old fashioned finger- wagging moralism running through it, that sexuality is not normal or healthy in itself (even if it sometimes produces pain or awkwardness) but only, as the film puts it, "is expressed in a healthy committed relationship". No one wears silver rings, but you feel they're somewhere in Mike's drawer. That would be fine if it didn't overpower the romance, comedy or drama, all of which are tainted by this pulpit moralism so that they no longer feel natural or living. This is especially true in Becky's case, where her sexy role play game cum mental breakdown is so utterly unrealistic and forced that it provokes laughter instead of the desired horror and shock.

Writer-director Stuart Blumberg handles the film well and it looks and flows very nicely, but it is the illustrious cast he has assembled that really save the film. Robbins gives it his all and manages to make his long dark of the soul believable, ably assisted by Richardson and Fugit. Gad is excellent, being both schlubby and sensitive, a loser and a winner, and is probably the best of the trio. He is well helped by Pink, who proves she has a good career ahead of her as an actress under her real name (as per rapper-singer turned actor rules!) and provides a depth and humanity lacking in many professionals. Ruffalo and Paltrow, excellent and always welcome actors, were clearly hired as an availability job-lot after "The Avengers" (it was made immediately afterwards in the same city) and seem to be playing much the same characters. Ruffalo is Banner-esque in quiet zen mode trying to keep a lid on the monster inside while Paltrow is in full Pepper Potts mode, sparky, spunky, wise cracking and condescending. It makes one dream of how a Banner-Potts relationship might blossom if Tony Stark were out of the picture for a while.

Rather like a free bowl of soup you get at a church meeting, it is an enjoyable enough morsel to warrant sitting through a fire and brimstone sermon, with great actors and decent direction, but bear in mind it won't be a conventional romantic comedy!

Josh Gad gives "metrosexual" a new meaning in this involving comedy-drama

Author: The_late_Buddy_Ryan from UWS, NYC, USA
28 November 2014

For his directorial debut, Stuart Blumberg, co-writer of "The Kids Are All Right," has stepped away from the reproductive side of things. "Thanks…" interweaves three stories of sex addicts in recovery, each with a different tone—an edgy romance between Mark Ruffalo and Gwyneth P, a family drama with Tim Robbins and Patrick Fugit as embattled father and son, and a less complicated tale with Josh Gad and Pink as perfectly matched recovery buddies. The conflicts in the first two stories may seem contrived—you get the feeling Blumberg doesn't like to create difficulties for his characters—but the atmosphere of camaraderie in "the rooms" and the gritty twelve-step humor ("It's gonna hurt like a back-alley colonoscopy," says Robbins at one point) come across as authentic. Nice work by Emily Meade as the booty call from hell; the final montage of twelve-steppers testifying, with a great Billy Bragg song on the soundtrack, is genuinely moving. Without a skilled director like Lisa Cholodenko at the helm, this one's not as solidly constructed or as emotionally involving as "The Kids Are All Right," but it's an entertaining film with some real substance to it. Available on streaming Netflix.

A good, serious story, NOT a romantic comedy

Author: SteveMierzejewski from Poland
23 January 2014

I don't know who classified this as a romantic comedy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Because of this classification, I almost didn't bother watching it at all. A comedy about sex addiction? I figured it would be an excuse to loosely tie together sex scenes, as was done in 'Wolf of Wall Street'. I really didn't want to go through that charade again. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

Okay, that said, there are a few non-explicit sex scenes that I certainly wouldn't want my 11-year-old son to watch. But these scenes are not gratuitous as they were in 'Wolf' and there really were not that many. The story came first, and the actors bought into it. Good work by all concerned. I worried somewhat when I heard that Pink (Alecia Moore)was in it, but she held up well and did not distract us with poor acting as some other pop stars have done (like Rihanna in 'Battleship').

The relationships between the people are the most captivating aspect of the film. All of the characters have their own specific problems to deal with. All of them struggle and all of them need help. In short, the relationships are real and believable. This film deserves to get more attention than it has.

Is it a date movie? Well, only if you and your date like more psychological films? Is there romance? Yes, but not in the tradition of most romcoms. If you find these two features as positive attributes of a good film, then, by all means, watch 'Thank You For Sharing'.

It takes it's subject matter seriously and has some interesting and insightful things to say about it.

Author: Hellmant from United States
13 January 2014

'THANKS FOR SHARING': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

A comedy-drama film about sex addiction focusing on multiple members of a support group. It stars Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Josh Gad, Gwyneth Paltrow, Joely Richardson, Patrick Fugit and Pink (going by her real name Alecia Moore). It's co-written (with Matt Winston) and directed by Stuart Blumberg (in his directorial debut). Winston is an actor turned first-time writer and Blumberg has previously written (or co-written) such films as 'KEEPING THE FAITH', 'THE GIRL NEXT DOOR' and 'THE KIDS ARE Alright' (which also co-starred Ruffalo). The movie is funny and surprisingly dramatic in places; it's not a completely well rounded film but decent enough.

Ruffalo plays Adam, a recovering member of a sex-addict support group lead by Mike (Robbins). Other members of the group include a doctor named Neil (Gad) and a young woman named Dede (Pink). Adam just met Phoebe (Paltrow) but is of course reluctant to tell her about his problem even as things get very serious between the two. Mike's estranged son Danny (Fugit) has just returned home and is recovering from drug problems. Each member shows their support not just with each other's sex addiction but their other issues as well.

The movie is funny in places but even more than that it's a pretty hard-hitting drama as well. I was really surprised at how serious and dark the film got in places (given it's light comedic elements at other times). It's pretty uneven in that way but the characters are well thought out and the actors all do a decent job portraying them. The filmmakers also take the movie's subject matter very seriously as well and have some interesting and insightful things to say about it.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gmBnRGZV8o

Very good movie that deserves to be seen but not a comedy. A drama that leaves you with a feeling you can't describe.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
5 January 2014

"It's like trying to quit crack while the pipe is attached to your body." Adam (Ruffalo), Mike (Robbins) and Neil (Gad) are all addicts that are trying to deal with their addictions. Things are going good for Adam until he meets a woman who finds out his secret. Mike encounters problems when his son returns home and Neil's life is crumbling around him because of his problem. This is billed as a romantic comedy but do not be fooled. I would not call this a comedy at all. The movie deals with very serious issues but the acting is the thing that really makes you feel for the characters. Very early on you start to root for everyone in the movie and you live their ups and downs with them. You almost find yourself talking to the screen and yelling NO at certain temptations that face them. This isn't really a movie I can describe you really should see this one to understand. Overall, a very good movie that deserves to be seen but do not expect a comedy. This is a straight drama that leaves you with a feeling you can't describe. I liked it. I give it a B+.

A genuine crowd pleaser, despite it's delicate overtones.

Author: Scott Gentry from United Kingdom
22 October 2013

"Thanks For Sharing" Director: Stuart Blumberg. Starring: Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins and Gwyneth Paltrow. Rated: 15, for containing strong sex, sex references and strong language. Running Time: 112 minutes. Out now in UK cinemas.

"Thanks For Sharing" follows a group of individuals, who are trying to overcome a natural urge, sex. As they attend an addicts group led by Mike (Tim Robbins), our story focuses on three central characters (Adam - Mark Ruffalo, Neil - Josh Gad and Dede - Alecia Moore), who begin to develop romances and friendships; through their mistakes and successes.

You've got to admit, selling a film about sex addiction to producers must be hard; however it seems director Stuart Blumberg (writer of the award winning film "The Kids Are All Right) has succeeded.

Films of this nature have begun cropping up in the last three years, the most memorable being Steve McQueen's "Shame", a dramatic and often shocking look at sex addiction through one man; Brandon (Michael Fassbender).

"Thanks For Sharing" (albeit tough and challenging material at times) doesn't live up fully to my expectations based upon films like "Shame". However, this doesn't matter.

This film may not be as emotionally wrenching as "Shame", but it doesn't need to be. It gets across a clear and delicate message, in which the most unlikely of audiences will be able to get their head around.

The film begins with a small but insightful invitation into the lives of our (very different) main characters. It's good that all characters come from different situations and backgrounds, as there may be people who have these problems and this film could be a way to help their addiction, but on a more relate-able level.

The aspect of sex addiction, is no joke. The film delivers a very real look into the character's lives, but always (barely) keeps inside the comedy/drama genre. At times the film is explicit, but it partly needs to be; as the film should delve properly into the addiction and not deliver a sugar-coated Hollywood comedy. Thankfully, it doesn't.

The main cast is superb. Mark Ruffallo delivers a perfect and believable performance, especially when the film develops dark overtones. Gwyneth Paltrow acts exceedingly well in a non-Pepper Pots ("Iron Man" reference) role which allows her to flourish into a seasoned actress. Alecia Moore (stage name, PINK) portrays a slightly underused, but likable character.

Verdict

Honestly, "Thanks For Sharing" is a more accessible film than "Shame". still delivering the sharp dialogue and awkward situations under a lighter (sometimes dark) mood. A genuine crowd pleaser, despite it's delicate overtones.

7 Stars out of 10 = Excellent.

Written by Scott Gentry.

Movie with a Lot of Heart

Author: richardsnewsong from Palm Desert, CA
7 October 2013

There is a lot to like about this movie. Great ensemble performances by Mark Ruffalo, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim Robbins, Joely Richardson, Josh Gad and Pink put a very human face on the different stages of dealing with and recovering from the real life tragedy of sex and love addiction. I consider this a wonderful "feel good" movie that has a broad range of emotions - both comic and tragic - the producers took a big risk to focus on this subject matter as there is the likelihood that a portion of the movie going audience could feel uncomfortable about the overt sexuality portrayed, even though I see it as tastefully done. Interestingly enough, the people I have talked to have echoed my sense that this is a wonderful movie....I wish it well.

There is a lot to laugh about in this movie but this movie is more than just a comedy. There is plenty of poignant drama in this movie also, and I found myself alternately laughing and crying as I found myself connecting and caring about the characters and hoping for good outcomes. As in real life, the results are mixed and at times, messy...

Joely Richardson plays Monica, the long suffering wife of Mike (Tim Robbins), a recovering "cross addicted" alcoholic/sex addict with 15 years of "sobriety" and unfortunately, there is not enough time in a 2 hour movie to flesh out her character. Clearly Mike (Tim Robbins) has made his recovery a big part of his life - what is sometimes called a "bleeding deacon" - and the relationship between Monica (Joely Richardson) and Mike seems harmonious until their addict son Danny (Patrick Fugit) returns home and the tension between a Mom and Dad dealing with their son in a dysfunctional family system gets played out.

Featured early on is Adam (Mark Ruffalo), a sex addict with 5 years of "sobriety" who is "sponsored" by Mike and ready to start dating again after choosing total abstinence to get his addiction under control. The great lengths Adam goes to in achieving sobriety seems rather ridiculous until you realize the powerful nature of addiction, which is the subject of a later portion of the movie and some of Ruffalo's best work as you feel his pain as he strives for "normalcy". Enter Phoebe (Gyneth Paltrow) as Adam's new love interest. Phoebe is a cancer survivor and her relationship with food and fitness are intriguing. A primary focus of their growing love and infatuation centers on Adam's deep fears around being love and accepted. The movie made me care about Adam and Phoebe both, hoping for a good outcome and a happy ending. I credit the writer's for taking us on some unexpected twists and turns that serve to highlight the reality of the disease of sex and love addiction and how it effects relationships.

Josh Gad is the comic relief in the movie - His character Neil is a young ER Doctor in the early stages of recovery from sex addiction and the movie takes a sympathetic look at the challenges and slips of making big changes in life to achieve sobriety early on. Neil is like a lot of sex addicts in early recovery - not taking it seriously until his addiction forces him to go deeper. Pink is a scene stealer as Dede, a female sex addict also going through the torment of early recovery from sex and love addiction...yes, it happens to females too. The growing friendship between Neil and Dede is another element where you really care how things will turn out.

OK the movie is far from perfect. Some might see the Paltrow character as shallow but that is the point: she has her own albeit different issues - dealing with her own demons - and the attraction between Adam and Phoebe makes sense as they are both finding a mirror into some deep stuff. Will they stay or will they run? The family drama and tension around Mike, Monica and Danny seems somewhat contrived and I attribute that to the movie choosing to deal with the deep topic of family dynamics and attempting to wrap things up in less then 2 hours. Trust me - everything that happens is plausible in real life even if you may see it coming ahead of time.

So yes, I like this movie. I like this movie a lot. I will confess my bias as I am a sex and love addiction professional (and recovering myself) and yet, my only stake in this all is that I hope the movie will succeed enough that it will allow others in the movie industry to take risks like this to entertain and educate us in the sense that the movie handles this controversial movie topic with sympathy, humor and accuracy in depicting the disease and the road to recovery.

And, at the end of the day, I left this movie entertained. I laughed...a lot....I got choked up and cried. I applauded endings that were not totally cliché and yet, offered hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Go see this movie. Go see this movie with someone you love and care about. It will open you up and make you feel....If you remember and enjoyed "My Life as a House" with Kevin Kline...this is your kind of movie...

Noble effort in depicting sex addicts attempts at normalcy; fine cast shines

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
20 September 2013

THANKS FOR SHARING (2013) *** Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, Gwyneth Paltrow, Josh Gad, Joely Richardson, Patrick Fugit, Pink, Carol Kane, Emily Meade, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Michaela Watkins, Pooma Jagannathan. Dramedy about sex addicts attempting to acclimate to their daily surroundings at varying stages of therapy focusing on three members/sponsors: Ruffalo as a 5 years sober finding himself in a possible relationship with new prospect Paltrow; Robbins as his sponsor who has his hands full with the sudden arrival of estranged son Fugit (himself a substance abuser); and downward spiraling newbie Gad who winds up the unlikely friend-in- need to a fellow female member (singer Pink in a decent on screen acting debut). While noble efforts are made by scribe-turned-director Stuart Blumberg (his debut) and co-writer/actor Matt Winston's fairly workable screenplay there are a few moments of false notes (SPOILER ALERT: i.e. Paltrow's too-soon moves on Ruffalo after his confession) yet the performances are well handled (but would it have killed the filmmakers to avoid making Gad a sloven walking fat joke?)

It was OK!

Author: huggibear
20 March 2017

I give it a 5.5-5.9. The plot was unique, but do we really think sex, a perfectly healthy act, is over-rated?? Maybe, to some degree by society's perception because of over-commercialization and how we have exploited sex. We should have kept sex as a private and very personal act. To each their own though. Whatever the case, this movie has some great stars in it and great acting as well! And it's kind of funny! The doctor is a hoot! I don't anyone who would do the perverted things he did in this movie, but I don't know everyone either. My thoughts: These are just imaginary minds thinking EVERYTHING is a problem, as always, including one of the most desirable actions with the body? Go figure! I'd still watch it if I were you, but not more than once. I got my fill on the first viewing.

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]