IMDb > Seven Psychopaths (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

So witty. What a ride!

Author: Kim
10 October 2012

I see the words "cult classic" in this movie's future. At the very least, I'll be adding this to my collection of movies such as Kick Ass, Pulp Fiction, Zombieland and Hot Fuzz that I love to watch over and over.

You know from the very first scene that this is not your typical Hollywood junk. It was HYSTERICAL, albeit in a pretty sick and twisted way - this is not for the faint of heart. The woman behind me must not have seen the previews, because she got up and left. I'm going to have to see it again this weekend just to catch some of the witty one-liners that I couldn't hear over the roaring laughter. The audience even applauded when it ended.

The script is razor sharp, and you couldn't dream up a better cast to bring it to life. I've always liked Sam Rockwell, but this was a star-making turn for him (at least in my book). You've never seen a movie quite like this. I see a new movie nearly every week, and I rarely feel compelled to sit down and write a review. So take my advice, do yourself a favor and go see it!

A story, about a story, distracted by a Shih-Tzu, with guns

Author: freestylerja16 from United States
6 October 2012

My friends and I went to the San Diego film festival this past week and were fortunate enough to get into an early screening of Seven Psychopaths, by Martin McDonagh. The film was very satisfying to me personally, weaving an original story around rich characters. Story is something that I take into great consideration when viewing a film as it has lost a foothold in many films today. In terms of presentation, I felt this movie to be a combination of Guy Richie, Quentin Tarantino, and The Coen Brothers. It's hilarious, dark, gripping, precise, quirky, demented, gory, and British. The frequent narration and character introduction of the movie gives it a constantly evolving lure and makes you feel like you're sitting by a camp fire listening to something unfold. Even though their is a thick layer of narration and Peckinpah darkness, it's fun as hell, with the acting a huge aspect of that; if you want to experience a great story, that discovers a point to the whole mess these characters undertake, and have a blast at the same time, then go see this awesome movie!

An intricate film with genuine laughs centered around a solid script

Author: nathanialwest from United States
15 October 2012

When I was driving to the theater, I was doubting my choice in Seven Psychopaths, because the trailer made it seem like so many films I'd seen before that looked edgy and wry, and showed so much promise in the previews yet fell short because of flat characters and muddled plots. This one, however, did not let me down.

I suggest that you see this film purely because it tries to do more with a movie than anything you've seen in a while, and it manages to actually succeeds on all levels, while dangerously romancing the clichés of toying with clichés, movies about writing movies, and gangsters with a soft side. Every time the story started to get even a little generic, wild cards came firing in from all sides.

The actors played their parts well, but Rockwell gave the best performance. I was impressed by Woody and Walken's abilities to shed their skins and get deeper into character than I've seen them be in years.

This is a writer's film--the subplots (really, borderline vignettes) about the various psychopaths that Marty encounters are well done, their back stories unfold at different paces, and their details that connect them to the central plot are creatively deployed, while the momentum of the film clearly hinges in the here and now and does not make the mistake of merely chaining together several subplots to produce one "dog" of a story.

I enjoyed almost everything about Seven Psychopaths. 10/10 to offset the 2 that someone without a brain will rate this.

Another title of piercing accuracy

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
14 October 2012

Let's get the insane plot of Seven Psychopaths out of the way: Marty (Collin Farrell) is a struggling Irish screenwriter, who hopes to finish his screenplay for a film called "Seven Psychopaths," while battling a case of writer's block and author-indecisiveness. His best friend is Billy (Sam Rockwell), a boisterous dog-thief, who usually winds up dictating Marty's life rather than helping him along in tough times. Hans (Christopher Walken) is Billy's best friend and partner in crime when it comes to dog-snatching. After both Hans and Billy steal an unpredictable crime boss's (Woody Harrelson) shih-ztu, it becomes a violent, relentless cat-and-mouse chase to get the pup back, and in the meantime, we get lengthy monologues between characters about the production of "Seven Psychopaths" and how Marty's inspiration begins to bubble when he starts considering the barrage of real psychopaths in his own life.

There are several films that exist about the movie-making process and it is a very difficult genre to make effectively. Seven Psychopaths succeeds in balancing the art of characters and the art of plot coherency, and it doesn't cross the line of becoming too involved in the process and too concerned with "in" jokes that leave the audience lost. To put it simply; the actors look like they're having fun, but they make sure we are still amused and connected with the film.

Right off the bat, the first thing one can commend about this entire experience are the rich performances by actors of all different career heights. Collin Farrell plays a wonderful straight-laced man victim to idiocy and unhelpful circumstances, and is only made better by Sam Rockwell's character's shameless belligerence. Woody Harrelson, giving us one of his many diverse roles in recent years, has the rare ability of rustling up a fierce moment of seriousness and delivering a devilishly funny laugh in the same breath. And who could forget supporting-role king Christopher Walken, who continuously borders the line of self-parody here in a memorably sophisticated role? At times, Seven Psychopaths is a witty riot and at other times, it can be monotonous and lengthy. For starters, the film looks and feels like a Quentin Tarantino film blended with the likes of Guy Ritchie. Shots have a very slim sense of narrative cohesion and many, many times are we left bewildered at what we just watched. It's also apparent that the film has a meta, self-aware tone that can be pleasantly charming, and sometimes cloying and overly-cheeky. To simply my feelings; after many sequences was I trying to comprehend what was just given to me and how was I supposed to digest the experience all together.

I mentioned my feelings that the film seemed to drag and felt a little too long - specifically the final scene in the desert which is roughly twenty-five to thirty minutes. Perhaps if your interest is in cheeky comedies and self-aware humor, you won't mind at all. The film is certainly smarter and a lot brighter than some of the flyweight, narrow-minded comic exercises that have bestowed on the mainstream public in recent years. For once, it's refreshing to see a comedy pay close attention to its characters, its events, and its performance, never shortchanging anyone in the process.

NOTE: There's also something very, very different about the cinematography of this picture, different from any kind of visual atmosphere I have seen this year. The southern California area seems to be captured through a grungy, saturated lens with colors appearing bright, humid, and very warm. This easily makes Seven Psychopaths one of the most visually calm pictures of the year.

Starring: Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Tom Waits, Abbie Cornish, and Olga Kurylenko. Directed by: Martin McDonagh.

This Is Not for Everyone

Author: richcarter1962 from United States
29 January 2013

There is little doubt that this movie is not for everyone. If don't believe it just look at some of the reviews, lot's of 1's and lot's of 10's, me I am somewhere in the middle, (towards the 10 end). It is not for everyone because it is QUIRKY and I do mean quirky, with lesser talented actors I could well be one of the people giving it 1 star, however the acting was excellent. I have been big fan of Sam Rockwells, since the Green Mile and in Seven he is hilarious. Colin Farrell, was great and as usual Christopher Walken was superb. Mickey Rourke was originally cast in the Woody Harrelson part, and while he did a good job, I think the character might have been better suited to Mickey Roarke. There something about Woody playing a character that is way over the top, that feels like he's playing it way over the top, none the less he was still funny.

This movie was full of hilarious one liners, and some very smart dialog, the plot was at the same time funny and ridiculous. I read a few of the reviewers that slammed this movie and most of them were bashing the plot or the lack thereof, this is not a great who done it, and I will agree the plot was paper thin, at best.

If you see this movie you need to see it for the acting and a fun way to spend 110 minutes. If you are looking for a movie that makes some kind of a statement or makes you really think about your life, then don't see this movie, you will be disappointed.

Violent, original, gripping, hilarious!

Author: Josh Cummings from United States
26 October 2012

Seven Psychopaths is the best film to come out thus far this fall. Written and directed by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges), this movie is a one-two knock out with entertainment around every corner. The movie stars Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson. Colin Farrell plays a writer struggling with a screen play called "Seven Psychopaths." His friend (Rockwell) is desperate to help write the screenplay. In the midst of all of this however, Rockwell also has a business on the side with Christopher Walken where they steal dogs, return them, and collect the reward money. Unfortunately, Rockwell and Walken make the mistake of stealing Woody Harrelson's dog; a psychopath who will stop at nothing to get his Shiatsu back.

This script for this film is one of the most original I've ever seen. There are a lot of twists in this movie plot-wise and genre-wise making it a fantastic, unpredictable adventure. Many would think that a movie that jumps around through different genres would be a bad thing, but this movie is so fluid and every plot point connects so well, that you aren't bothered in the slightest about deciding what the genre is of this film. A film with the title Seven Psychopaths promises intense violence and you will get that, but not just that. This is not a mindless movie that uses just blood as entertainment. This is a smart movie that has plot and meaning. Yes, it's violent but there is also drama and a surprising amount of comedy. This is without a doubt, the funniest movie I have seen this year. The dialog in this film is perfect. All of the characters have a certain wit to them, delivering lines that are beyond hilarious.

The acting is superb. Christopher Walken is the best he's been in years. This could very well be one of my favorite performances from him. I liked Woody Harrelson in this movie more than I liked him in Zombie Land. I applaud Sam Rockwell for being in this movie. He is just so funny in this role and plays it perfectly. There couldn't have been a better cast for this film. Everyone was flawless.

If you enjoy creative writing, talented acting, and movies that are all-around completely original, then I encourage you to see this movie. Martin McDonagh has outdone himself and made an incredible movie. Seven Psychopaths is a must see. A+

Nonsensical and Psychotic

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
4 December 2012

Seven Psychopaths is a film that requires an acquired taste. If you like films in the vein of Quentin Tarrantino, or loved Psychopaths' director, Martin McDonagh's previous film, In Bruges, then you'll love this film, and if you don't, you're left scratching your head for the entirety of this film at all of the senseless violence and pointless obscenities.

In the film, Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell, and Christopher Walken, kidnap a gangster's Shih Tzu, and this leads to all of the crazy, bizarre antics of the entire film. That's all you need to know about Seven Psychopaths. It's psychotic and the character's psychosis make very little sense in a realistic fashion. It's over-the-top, and glorifies itself for being as such. However, whenever you have the likes of Rockwell, Walken, and Woody Harrelson, sharing the screen together, there will be laughs, even if they're laughs entirely in darkly comedic circumstances.

Seven Psychopaths is just for a small niche audience, and I've just accepted that I am not one of that audience. I can see how someone would love this nonsensical film, I'm just not a fan.

I give Seven Psychopaths a 5 out of 10!

Psychotic, hysterical and brilliant in its own way, especially for cinephiles

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
9 October 2012

In the marketing for "Seven Psychopaths," CBS Films wants you to count the film's seven stars, but the one real psychopath (and I mean that in most positive and endearing way possible) that matters is writer and director Martin McDonagh, whose sophomore film and follow-up to "In Bruges" is a cockeyed stroke of genius. Sticking with what the marketing tells us, this is a film about a couple dognappers who steal a mob boss's Shih Tzu and get their friend and girlfriends wrapped up in the mess. What it doesn't tell you is that Colin Farrell's character is a screenwriter working on a script called "Seven Psychopaths" and all he has so far is the title. Oh, and Farrell's character is named Marty. If you can't tell where this is going, let's just say that "Seven Psychopaths" is one of those films that reserves a special place for movie junkies and cinephiles. Everyone will find a great deal to laugh at (especially Sam Rockwell), but only a certain percentage will have a gleeful appreciation for the meta-narrative at work. Luckily, you don't have to identify as a film nerd to enjoy "Seven Psychopaths." The film is by no means exclusive or inaccessible, it just reaches another level of storytelling and maniacal brilliance if you can make those connections. Beyond that layer, the film offers a potent combination of semi-gratuitous violence, loony antics and some stirring poignancy. Throw the meta layer back in, and you have the equivalent of if Charlie Kaufman's "Adaptation" had been directed by Guy Ritchie. The film begins with Marty, an alcoholic writer, looking for inspiration for his seven psychopaths. His first psychopath is inspired by the Jack of Diamonds Killer, a guy running around Los Angeles killing off mid-to-high-ranking mob men. Funny then, that his nutty friend Billy (Rockwell) should happen to steal Bonny, the precious Shih Tzu belonging to Charlie (Woody Harrelson), a sensitive yet unforgiving mob boss. Charlie is able to track down Billy's partner, Hans (Christopher Walken), and the trio is forced to make themselves scarce. If you're still using the poster to count, then you're probably wondering about the other three "psychopaths." Well, one is a true psychopath, and that's Zachariah (Tom Waits), who responds to an add that Billy put in the paper to try and help Marty find more inspiration. Zachariah has a fascinating story of little consequence to the film, about how he and his wife decades ago went on a serial killer killing spree, gorily offing renowned American killers including Zodiac. His wife left him, however, for getting too soft. As for the ladies, they have actually no bearing on the movie at all. Abbie Cornish and Olga Kurylenko amount to wasted talents, which is only bothersome because of the marketing (or, I suppose, if you're a hardcore feminist). The four main players, however, give some of the best turns of their careers. Rockwell has never been funnier playing his cocky persona. Billy is so blissfully and purposefully ignorant of reality and never lacks for surprises. Harrelson, having played many an oddball and many a hard-ass, effectively blends both in Charlie. But it's Walken who has one of his best roles in ages. Hans has all his marbles; he's even a sweetheart, he just plays it abnormally cool in certain situations. Whereas Marty overreacts to the danger this wild premise brings, Hans handles it as if he expected it. Consequently, his humorous lines and moments really cut the tension. Somehow, McDonagh makes "Seven Psychopaths" completely hysterical and off-the-wall crazy without completely shattering its believability. The characters, though psychopaths each in their own way, are carefully grounded and humanized. McDonagh gives them each something we can connect to emotionally, something we can identify with, in spite of their irrational quirks. The film occasionally takes some sharp turns into eye-opening dramatic territory, but it doesn't result in the jarring tonal nightmare you would expect that to yield from lesser auteurs. And there's still this whole other stratosphere that the film enters in the screenplay within a screenplay context. Marty sets out at the beginning to write a film about peace and love that features psychopaths and violence, or something completely oxymoronic to that affect, and McDonagh finds a way (in his interpretation), to make that happen. "Seven Psychopaths" seems likely to face a fate similar to "In Bruges" not a whole lot of renown amongst the general public, but heaps of praise from those who ingest films on a regular basis. This one definitely has more appeal (more stars, set in Los Angeles, etc.), but both films have similar sensibilities. McDonagh has a real knack for playing around with clichs and expectations. He twists them around into something delightfully unexpected that despite seemingly outwardly silly, is quite meaningful, shocking and doubtlessly entertaining. ~Steven C

Finding the middle ground between comedy, violence and psychopaths

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
28 January 2013

Depending on how you count, there really are seven psychopaths. Also depending on how you count, there could be more, which is a good thing because Marty – the lead character played by Colin Farrell not the screenwriter Martin McDonagh – can use as many as he can find. Marty (Colin Farrell) is an alcoholic Irish screenwriter suffering from writer's block since Hollywood's needs and his ideals do not match up at all.

"Seven Pyschopaths" the rather ingenious, well-written, violent, hilarious, crime drama comedy does manage to find a happy medium between what Hollywood wants and what romantic idealist Marty wants. If you can imagine how hard it would be to find that happy medium, then you can probably imagine how easy it would be to find detractors for this film. They complain about the senseless violence, the meandering story lines and the shifts in tone. But the brilliance in the screenplay and the ensemble cast can allow many to ignore all that.

Marty wants to write a character study, a meaningful one where he finds significant life events to reflect upon to find love and happiness. Hollywood wants an action film. One with shoot-outs with as many characters and as many violent deaths as could possibly be included. Marty is a gentle spirit even if he is neurotic, has a bad taste in friends and indulges in unhealthy habits, he does want to find that happy place in life. He relies on the chaotic, crazy and cruel world around him, and also his chaotic, crazy and cruel friends, to provide inspiration for his screenplay.

Independent Spirit Award nominee Sam Rockwell plays Billy a manic, ne'er-do-well who kidnaps dogs and then returns them for the reward. His compatriot, Hans (Christopher Walken), is a philosophical old soul who takes all the violence and craziness in stride. Their criminal actions could catch up to them sooner rather than later when psychopath Charlie (Woody Harrelson) has his dog stolen and he has no problem killing everybody in his path to retrieve his precious Shih Tzu.

As these great actors and psychopathic characters all come together they provide "Seven Psychopaths" with exactly what was needed: unrestrained shoot-outs and philosophical musings on life, love and death. I would prefer just comedy but the script, the great actors and the psychopathic characters provided that as well.

Christopher Walken is brilliant

Author: E. Eren Erdem from Ankara, Turkey
3 February 2013

I watched this movie last week and I am still returning to re watch because it contains some of the most fascinating scenes I have ever watched.

I think the casting was very good. Sam Rockwell, who had already pulled off a slowly degrading and paranoid character living in moon alone, really succeeds in bearing the weight of the story. He is essentially causes almost all the progress single handedly and the parts really fit together.

Colin Farrell, who is a favorite of the director is another good flavor but I didn't really get impressed with his acting or his character. Because his character has almost no impact, he is dragged along to different situations and usually has no bearing in the movie. Maybe it supposed to represent the director in some level but it is very interesting to see the story teller who doesn't even realize how little control he has on his own story.

But I am mainly reviewing this title to praise Christopher Walken. Every one of is scenes are perfect, he is just brilliant. I have always liked him but I could never imagine that I would be impressed this much with his acting. I think the character is very interesting, his dialogs really fit the atmosphere and in general it was a very essential part of a good story.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]