IMDb > Bad Ass (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Accuracy

Author: rustler-343-347108 from United States
13 April 2012

For a film that was "based off true events" Hollywood couldn't do more to demonize the actual participants.

"Bad Ass" is based off of an altercation on a bus where Thomas Bruso, a European American, was attacked by an African American. You can watch the video at http://epicbeardman.net/ Once Hollywood got a hold of this, the good guy became Hispanic, and the bad guy became a duo of neo-Nazis, because it would be too politically incorrect to have otherwise.

Bad Ass serves as your standard "good guy down on his luck" feel good film. Good guy sees bad guy, good guy punches bad guy, good guy wins.

Oh, and another thing, the first reviewer who gave the film 10 stars wrote the review a month before the movie came out.

Time for a real honest review for Bad Ass!

Author: J. Davis (horrorsession@gmail.com) from USA
13 April 2012

Alright I think all of us know that this for Danny Trejo's sake was not going to be anywhere near the caliber of Machete, that was funded in the millions & written very well. What we have here is a decent low budget VOD or netflix watch. The story is very simple, Trejo a man who served 7 years in the Vietnam war & upon arriving back to society he faced what every soldier faced upon returning home, a place to fit in. He struggled through the next 40 years running his hot dog stand & minding his own business. Then one day on a public bus he kicked the crap out of two punks harassing an old man & it was filmed by another bus rider & leaked onto the internet. It goes viral & he is proclaimed by the public as "Bad Ass". A title he wasn't looking for but he was happy to finally be fitting in with society.

After his one & only friend was murdered senselessly he became the man the public wanted him to be & started on journey of ass kicking his way to find answers. This film won't win any awards but it was certainly entertaining for 90 minutes, and all you punks giving it a 1 rating should go sky diving without a parachute because obviously your brainless body is just in the way. It's 5/10 solidly, actually it's worth more than that for the great message it leaves the viewer. So to belittle this fine piece of film is in itself a crime!

I couldn't help thinking of Gran Torino & Harry Brown a bit at times due to the fact of all three characters being in a war, all being senior citizens & all they wanted was a little peace & a bit of happiness and they were "called" back into duty for something they truly believed in.

Danny Trejo's Grand Torino

Author: siderite from Romania
25 April 2012

I don't really care where the idea came from, this film was a lot of laughs. Imagine Danny Trejo doing his old and tough routine, but doing it with humour and a physicality that few could achieve aged 68. And it wasn't just him. Ron Perlman did a bait and switch again, appearing only a few scenes into the movie, instead the role of the villain being taken by Charles S. Dutton, who also appears only a few times, but it is obvious he is having just as much fun as Trejo did. Add in a little bit of Harrison Page and you have your geriatric A-team in a film that felt pretty close to real. Even Richard Riehle did a small appearance.

Of course, it wasn't all fun and games. The hero of the city for beating up a few guys, maiming and killing a few others, that wasn't realistic or cool, really. The explosions and gun shot effects were shoddy and low budget, but let's face it, the movie wasn't about special effects. And the girlfriend stuff... let's say it was completely unnecessary and threw me off a little.

But bottom line, this is a low budget, yet very fun film, without being a true comedy. It is full of good humour and references to other films of the genre, like Death Wish. I liked it a lot.

Seven out of ten, probably deserves more.

Author: diggus doggus from United Kingdom
13 April 2012

First off, the trailers for this film are *extremely* misleading - BadAss is way more serious of a film then you're led to believe; this is not a Tarantino-inspired slaughterfest in the spirit of Hobo With Shotgun or Sucker Punch, and although it revolves on Danny Treyo's "BadAss-ness", there is a lot of content beyond fistfights and generic violence.

Danny Treyo(Frank Vega, "Bad Ass")is a ex-Vietnam vet living a quiet and slightly unhappy life in the suburbs; there is an incident of him beating up some skinheads and becoming a YouTube sensation(thereby acquiring the BadAss moniker), but it's a minor plot device and not as central as they make it out to be.

The main plot revolves around the murder of one of BadAss's friends, the police's incompetence, a corrupt major, and BadAss's stone-fisted investigation; if anything, this film has more in common with Marlowe's film noire dramas than with Death Wish - you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of content this film has.

Now, let's run through the good and bad.

Good everything. Direction, acting, great supporting characters, many, many scenes that are so real you can smell the sweat. Real writing, great pace, and zero unrealistic plot twists.

Bad: almost nothing. BadAss is a low-flying film, it's not trying too hard and sticks to a well-rehearsed script, but does everything properly. Production isn't up there with the best, but i guess when you wish for Hollywood polish, you also get a lot of Hollywood crap along with it. So all good here.

Now, it's hard to vote this film properly. For some, it will be a nine. For some others a five. What i see in it is a lesson on how to write a film without falling into the commercial pits of easy amusement. This film has a lot going for it; if you can handle it, if you don't have prejudices against this kind of film you should see it because it's great. If you are into more sensational films, like MI3, then give it a miss because you wouldn't understand a minute of it.

A great little film that has many lessons to teach.

My final vote - a politically correct 7/10

Great fun and not to be taken seriously

Author: thomas-hogarth from Northants England
10 June 2012

I really enjoyed this film, it was almost a caricature of an action movie. Done with a brilliant subtle sense of humor.

He goes from zero to hero, gets the girl, investigates crime scenes (including cheese chalk out line) and kicks some serious ass, in a way that we all wish we could but is of course impossible. It's almost comic book style.

Funny quote (for the geeks) 'What the f**** is a flash drive'

'It's an inch long storage device that uses solid state memory to store persistent data from your computer."

Anyhow watch it with a grin on your face and point out the silly bits to your mates.

An aging bad ass, but a bad ass nonetheless...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
5 June 2012

For a movie of this caliber, then "Bad Ass" wasn't actually too bad.

"Bad Ass" is about Vietnam veteran Frank Vega (played by Danny Trejo) who moves into his mother's house after she passes away. He is enjoying an overnight Internet stardom as his acts of beating up two skinheads on a bus was caught on phone camera. Frank's friend gets killed, and seeing the police doing nothing about it, Frank decides to take things into his own hands.

This movie sort of have elements from "Gran Torino" and also some of the old Charles Bronson movies. Sure, it is all stuff that has been seen before, but it actually did come together nicely enough in the movie and worked out great. And Danny Trejo proves that, despite up there in years, that he still can perform and do physical movies.

The story-wise was sort of funny, sure it was unrealistic, but still it proved to be entertaining enough. However, the part with the young neighbor falling in love with him, was a bit too much, and not really a necessary part for the movie in whole. The showdown between Danny Trejo and Charles S. Dutton (playing Panther) was actually fun to watch.

Just don't expect to be challenged by a complex storyline, because it just ain't there. And try not to pay too much attention to the shoddy dialogue, just watch the movie for what it is; an aging Danny Trejo out for revenge.

"Bad Ass" is a no-brainer type of movie, just put it on, sit down and disconnect your brain. This movie is fun to watch and is actually entertaining. However, I doubt that I will watch it a second time at any point, the movie just didn't have enough weight to support that, at least not for me.

Its so bad its good!

Author: mrsOGB from United States
24 October 2012

First of all my husband I only watched this movie because we both love Danny Trejo. The previews made this movie look pretty good. It started out pretty good, but then it just became so bad we were laughing the entire movie. Even good actors can't save cheesy lines. The whole time we just kept saying that Trejo is in his sixties!! Unbelievable. That man is the epitome of the Hollywood dream. From criminal to D movies to great character actor and then starring roles. Awesome! This movie is great to watch Mystery Science 3000 style. We like to try and catch movie mistakes and look up actors while watching every movie. Its fun and funny. Don't try to make it more than that and you will enjoy it.

A fun B movie for those who like this sort of thing

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
7 June 2012

If you are familiar with B movie actor Danny Trejo, you'll know that any movie where he makes an appearance automatically gets some points in its favor. In "Bad Ass", Danny Trejo is front and center in a rare leading role, so we get ninety or so minutes of his awesomeness. No surprise that Trejo is great in this movie. Naturally, he is great in his scenes of kicking ass, but he also gets to show in several sequences emotions like tenderness and humor, and does those things also very well. There isn't much of a plot here, I'll admit - much of the movie is Trejo just going from one location to another and picking up a clue in each location. But the movie manages to deliver a lot of action along the way, making the journey a lot of fun. The only real objection I have is the way they movie uses Ron Perlman - despite his billing, I don't think his scenes add up to more than a minute of the movie's running time.

All that is wrong with Hollywood.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
25 July 2012

Wow, is this terrible. Many others have pointed out the numerous inaccuracies of the plot, but even as a movie it's boring and lifeless. The main song used throughout the movie just repeats "I'm badass." Danny Trejo is a likable guy, but there's no reason he needs to have a love interest. This is another film which (I think) doesn't pass the Bechdel test, and I'm not surprised at all. He would definitely not be awarded a position of honor after going on a violent bus chase through the city. That's easily $3 million in damages, and somebody's gotta pay for it. Aside from that, I honestly grew tired of watching him assault anyone who got in his way. This movie was 5% 'inspired by true events' and 95% standard Hollywood bull-ish. Protip: when you run out of movie ideas, stop making movies.

Good movie for trash lovers

Author: kostia-lukash from Ukraine
14 April 2012

Low budget. Classical revenge theme. Definitely not for wide audience.

And if Danny Trejo looked like Dwayne Johnson, enemies were smarter, his woman was older, I would gave it 8 points and had nothing to remember it for.

But. It is OK the way it is. Creators were not pretending to make an A-movie. It is obvious from the very start.

Some features are extremely generic. Main character has some catch phrases like those from Terminator. The girl is beautiful and has a child, bad ass boy of course. I guess you could get something alike by mixing "Walking Tall" and "Postal". And final pursuit is rich on FX :) Reminds me of "Red Heat".

So you whether turn it off or immerse into the genre and don't wake up until it's over.

PS Danny Trejo is just adorable.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]