IMDb > The Protector 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tom yum goong 2

The Protector 2 More at IMDbPro »Tom yum goong 2 (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

What happened to tony Jaa?????

Author: Mr iz-one Belly from Malaysia
31 October 2013

Saw this flick in Malaysian theater and i just have to tell you guys that this is one of the worst tony jaa flick... I just cant feel the awesomeness power of tony jaa in this movie... Ongbak 1,2,3 , the first protector is 3-4 times better compared to this movie... I am assuming that the producers and director are experimenting with their CG and 3D format technology. Too much CG really spoil the action scenes. I love the originality of his previous films... reminds me of the early Jackie Chan flick...no CG pure stunts.... There is one scene involving a couple of motorcycles on a roof top and i think this is way to ridiculous to accept...the stunt guys seems to have difficulty to control their motorcycle and again it is just so painful to watch. Don't get me started with RZA final scene with the elephant....

why oh why do they have to experiment with special effect on this movie. I was hopping it would be a good film just like what keanu reeves did in man of tai chi.....plain fun good action...

Im hoping tony jaa still can kick Ass in the upcoming fast and furious 7.

try to avoid this film if you are hoping for a good fight scenes..there is none.

What were they thinking?

Author: ericthered01
4 February 2014

What has happened to Tony Jaa? I guess Ong Bak and The Protector were lightning in a bottle type moments because his movies are getting worse. This movie is the opposite of what made him popular in the first place. It was him with no wires or CGI, doing amazing stunts and hard-hitting martial arts. This movie not only uses wires, but horrible looking CGI and scenes obviously shot in front of a green screen. Not only does the CGI look bad in this movie but Jaa's fighting abilities seem to have taken a hit too. He looks slower and even a little sloppy at times. JeeJa Yanin is completely wasted in this movie too. Why even put her in the movie just to get beat up most of the time? And the RZA? He took an already bad movie and plunged it to the bottom of the barrel. He's a terrible actor and shouldn't be anywhere near a fight scene. I keep waiting for the magic of Jaa's first two movies to reappear but sadly I don't think that day will ever come.

Worst Movie of Tony Jaa

Author: Ruky from Sri Lanka
28 January 2014

I remember the movie called "Ong-bak ". I was so impressed the real action of Tony Jaa. I became a fan of him.

But this movie is totally worse. If i saw his this movie for the first time I will never have a feeling like that.

the CG effects are very low quality. actually Tony Jaa doesn't need any CG effects. We love his genuine action. The producers and director ruined Tony Jaa's abilities by adding over CG effects!

The script is very very vary poor. Specially the roof scenes with motor bikes! never acceptable!! If you love Tony Jaa I advice not to watch this movie, You will definitely brake your image of Tony Jaa !!!

Tony Jaa and his elephants are back!!! Is it worth checking out or should you pack your 'trunk' and get outta here??? Read on to find out!

Author: Maximum Extreme from MaximumExtreme.net
18 November 2013

Tony, Tony, Tony… What have you been up to? First you entice us with your crazy stunts in Ong Bak and follow up with knockout Tom Yum Goong but then you've really fallen off the radar. The guy literally blasted onto the screen from nowhere and became an instant star in the martial arts world. With Jackie Chan and Jet Li aging and Donnie Yen producing material of inconsistent quality, action fans were hungry for a worthy successor. We thought that person may have been Tony Jaa and it still might be.

Fans of Jaa will know that he had been previously tied into the worst 10-year movie contract ever heard of by Sahamongkol Film International. The contract prevented him from doing any film other than the ones they wanted. Jaa had something of a breakdown and there were even stories that Jaa left the sets of the Ong Bak sequels to go and become a monk in a monastery. The 10 years expired and the guy is now back on the big screen – but wait! He signed on again with the same damn production company and they are once again being complete morons! Following recent news that Jaa had signed on to star in the next Fast & Furious movie, Sahamongkol Film once again threatened legal action against Jaa stating that he'd broken his contract by taking on work without their permission. For us lucky movie fans, it looks like Jaa is going ahead with Fast 7 despite this, as well as Hong Kong movie SPL 2 with Wu Jing! Excellent news indeed!

Jaa's movies have always been simple movies reminiscent of Van Damme movies from yesteryear. They have a lot of heart and a lot of ass kicking. In the original Tom Yum Goong (AKA The Protector), Jaa's elephants get kidnapped and brought over to Australia. Jaa goes over and gets them back. Simple! The movie was pretty badass, featuring an amazing one take sequence as Jaa makes his way to the top of a building, taking down loads of bad guys on the way.

There was also a crazy Jaa vs. 50 bad guys sequence towards the end of the movie. It was pretty cool stuff for martial arts fans, especially as Jaa has always looked like he could really do the stuff we see him do in his movies.

In Tom Yum Goong 2, Jaa finds himself in a predicament as his elephant is kidnapped once again, but the agenda is not so simple this time round. Big bad guy Mr. LC (RZA), a martial arts fan, wishes to use the kidnapped elephant to leverage Jaa to do his evil bidding. Jaa must find a way to stop RZA and save his elephant, all while being hunted by what appears to be almost everyone in Thailand.

The premise sounds like the prefect setup for loads of ass kicking and mad stunts just like the original. Unfortunately, despite all the good intentions, the end product just doesn't deliver.

We don't really need a story but some essence of interconnecting events would be nice. The first half of the movie seems to be dominated by a random and ridiculously long drawn out motorbike chase scene, featuring some really terrible CGI. Gone are the real chases and stunts that we saw Jaa performing in Ong Bak, instead we have third-rate special effects and extreme ridiculousness. It doesn't even make any sense why this whole portion of the movie exists but it does.

Surprisingly, Petchtai Wongkamlao as cop sidekick Mark, was probably the best thing in this film. He provided timely comic relief whereas JeeJa Yanin, from Chocolate and Raging Phoenix fame, is shamefully underused and portrayed to be almost useless next to our hero. Rhatha Phongam is also underused, present only to serve as eye candy.

The single worst, most unforgivable element of this movie is RZA (though the other American actors come close). He has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. No on-screen presence, no charisma, terrible acting, terrible fighting, just terrible terrible terrible. I pray that no one ever allows him on a film set ever again or perhaps he should try method acting and really die at the end of his next movie.

So far things are not sounding too good. So how was the fighting? To be honest, it wasn't that great either. After the first half of the movie was dominated by the silly motorbike chase sequence, we would hope the latter half would focus more on the fights. But once the fights begin, we are not given anything that even comes close to spectacle that was seeing Jaa take down 50 guys back to back. There was nothing new and the over use of CGI ultimately reduced everything to a farce. The first fight with Maresse Crump showed potential which was just never fully realized.

It would also have been nice to see Jaa go up against several worthy adversaries instead of a handful of not so great bad guys who just don't seem to be able to die.

All I was hoping for was a competent martial arts movie and at the end of the day, that isn't what we got. Even in the absence of Jaa's original movies, I would not recommend this.

A disappointment from start to finish, I suggest you check out Jaa's earlier efforts and keep your fingers crossed that his US debut will deliver what Tom Yum Goong 2 couldn't.

One to miss and no, I didn't watch it in 3D and can't imagine it would do anything other than make the experience even worse.

Rating 5 out of 10.

FOR THIS AND OTHER REVIEWS CHECK OUT MAXIMUMEXTREME.NET

It is a half-baked movie. Lousy and disjointed music, rough and disjointed cut, bad CGI, bad image composition which make a real stunt looks like a fake stunt.

Author: king_vsjn from Jakarta, Indonesia
21 November 2013

Disappointed by Tom Yum Goong 2 (The Protector 2).

It is a half-baked movie. The problem I found with this second installment were mostly post-production stuff, e.g. lousy and disjointed music, rough and disjointed cut, bad CGI, bad image composition which make a real stunt looks like a fake stunt.

Yep. If only the movie was left as it was taken without any post- production things (like let the background were green), it might be more enjoyable than this half-finished movie.

The other problem was lack of screen time for Jeeja Yanin. In THE KICK, Jeeja Yanin didn't play the main character yet she stole the screen. Here, she barely exist although she appeared in the final fight.

Once you can get pass through the annoying things, the movie was actually have a better stuff which could make it a way better than Donnie Yen's Special ID.

TYG 2 was actually felt more like the sequel of Ong Bak instead of Tom Yum Goong.

The earlier scene where Tony Jaa taught children three martial art movement based on elephant movement reminded me to the earlier scene of Ong Bak which Tony Jaa exhibit all the movement from Muay Boran. I was excited watching the scene but unfortunately, that idea was developed into action only for .. err.. two fight scenes. The other fight scenes was all-the-stuff-we-have-seen-from-previous-movies.

The bikes-chase-scenes were kind of mixing between Tuk-Tuk chase scene and gambling gang chase scene from Ong Bak. This scene, which should had been great, unfortunately was the most unfortunate scene ruined by those half-finished post-production.

The actor which may gain benefit from this movie was Marrese Crump who played as Fighter #2. I counted there were four fight scenes in which he appeared. The first fight was so and so (He against Tony Jaa, Jeeja Yanin, and another girl). The second one was amazing (he against Tony Jaa). The third one was too fantasy and the CGI were not good. The fourth one, which also the final fight was good although the choreography was so and so.. but it was tense.

If I'm not mistaken, there will be a project, 'FORMLESS', which had him as a star and also collaborate with the same team from Tom Yum Goong 2. I can't wait to watch it but I wish Sahamongkol Film will really take time to finish the post-production as necessary. Releasing this kind of half-baked movie was really a grave mistake.

Full Action without Brain (Beware: Spoiler)

Author: flaminghurricane from Singapore
25 October 2013

This movie doesn't have a proper plot, it is all action and when I say action I mean non stop mindless action. 1)The battle on the roof top, It look pretty decent at first when a few motorcycle chases Kham(The Hero)to the roof top, but when you notice that there are a whole motorcycle gang maneuvering on the roof top it becomes extremely unrealistic, even when Kham jump from roof to roof there seems to be endless stream of motorcycles chasing him. The worse thing is the screen time of this scene is unbearably long... the main villain also seems to be immortal... I will not touch on too much of detail to prevent spoiling the movie for those that are interested. But please avoid at all cost...

the worst

Author: dynastymaintenancecrew from United States
19 January 2014

speechless. simply dumb founded. JeeJa Yanin why did you let them put you so low. the effects, the RZA just weak and dumb. why. why.i waited so lone for Jaa and Yanin next movie, but i got hit with a double whammy. anyone who thinks this movie was good clearly watch and rate to many comedies. this was like,,,, really. i need a few dollars.SO. lets make a movie for 50.00. RZA isn't the answer. he is horrible actor and to darn stiff for action. RZA i was down with the Wu but this ain't you. stay be hind the seen. take lessons from great directors. om,, I'm in a ray of sadness. Please help me. tell the world this was a comedy. not the 2nd part to the Protector. Jaa, your past movies were so deep and meaningful. it had the audience trapped in suspense and down on our knees with enjoyment. again i ask. why would you disappoint us.

One of the worst plots I've ever seen.

Author: glbv88 from Bangkok
23 October 2013

2 hours of martial arts with horrible sound effects added. Motorbike gangs doing donuts around the main character and randomly driving off the roof top. People being kicked through 5inch concrete walls multiple times and just being fine.

Why did they kidnap the elephant? Was it for the bomb? Was it for him to join their group. They never really explain much of anything and then it ends with a elephant being used as a bomb.... how about just planting a bomb in the ribbons their given why even include the elephant?

There are just so many reasons to not see this movie and it amazes me that it has a 7.7 on here. I only give it a 3 cause the production values were good and the camera work wasn't bad. No super shaky fight scenes where you can't see anything.

HK Auteur film review - Tom Yum Goong 2

Author: hkauteur from Hong Kong
30 January 2014

Tom Yum Goong 2 marks Tony Jaa's return since his announced retirement after the failed Ong Bak 3 and living life as a Buddhist monk. The sequel to 2005's Tom Yum Goong has Kham's elephant Khon is kidnapped once again by an evil organization that plans to blackmail Kham into assassinating the President of Katana to kick start a coup. As flimsy as that plot sounds, it is the least of its problems.

By incorporating special effects and stereoscopic 3D into the film's action scenes, Pinkaew forgets its major visual effect, namely Tony Jaa himself. The action is haphazardly cut with an embarrassingly huge amount of spatial jumps and tight close-ups that do not match, as if there was not enough usable footage. Many times the viewer enters the action after the first hit has been made. Apparently there were five editors on the project, what happened?

Tony Jaa is at not in his peak physical form, and the film seems to be hiding it from the audience. He is not as fast or hard-hitting as he once was. Jaa's choreography is restrained, for most of the group fights he just seems to be dispatching people aside as quickly as possible. And the whole time, I was waiting for Jaa to show off. Every time Ja whips out the elephant boxing style, a style that he and fight choreographer Panna invented for the previous film, are some of the film's most exciting moments. Sadly, there is very little of it.

Jeeja Yanin from Chocolate is unfortunately sidelined, she occasionally shows up to help Tony Jaa and vice versa, but otherwise there is little interaction between them. Clumsy cop comic sidekick Petchtai Wongkamlao gets some nice lines in but as seen in the first Ong Bak his strengths seem to lie in physical comedy, which he does not get to do here. The stunning Rhatha Phongam from Only God Forgives also makes a decent femme fatale, but the overabundance of supporting characters and a political assassination plot weighs everything down as the film takes on more than it can handle. Why does it have to be so complicated? Man loses elephant. Man goes and retrieves it, end of story!

RZA, together with his film The Man with the Iron Fist and self-proclaimed love of martial arts films, is forging a reputation to being a kung fu film staple. His casting as the villain is cashing in on that particular geek sheik. Atrocious acting aside, watching RZA sharing an on screen fight with Tony Jaa had me rolling my eyes. RZA movie fights just fine, but does anyone buy him gaining the upper hand on Ja?

Speaking of which, Marresse Crump, who plays the lead henchman, is a great on screen fighter who can go toe-to-toe with Tony Jaa. The first fight between Crump and Jaa had me pumped, and their last fight on a train track was the type of creative set piece I was expecting to see. Both fighters are capable of more complicated choreography but the choreographers held back with their fight. The fights always seem to be over before the audience can properly enjoy them. The first Tom Yum Goong had a video game boss level-like approach with its action sequences that kept topping each other in terms of scale and insanity, which was made it entertaining and hilarious. There is nothing to that equivalent here.

The best Prachya Pinkaew film is still Chocolate, as it had a neat creative angle and managed to incorporate its action in telling an emotional story coherently. Tom Yum Goong 2 just seems oddly distracted and unconfident about what it wants to be.

Worst Tonny jaa Movie... GOD why they even made this movie?

Author: jay klaten from Klaten
8 February 2014

I was expecting too much. but after i saw the movie i was very disappointed. same old story with very bad fighting choreograpy. And the Plot, How could you lost elephant twice??

The fighting is awful . I give 8 star for the first TYG. Tony jaa met a worthy opponent. like capoera master,wushu master and the 3 big guy.

but in this movie he cant even beat the LC ( the black guy ) which i don't thing he has skill in martial art.

The Motors Gang chasing in roof top ??? come on man. its make no make sense. What is the point of this stunt for?

and yet the 3D effect arrrggghhh. who would expected watching tony jaa's movie in 3D? NO ONE!!!. if i wanted to watch fighting movie in 3D ,i would rather watched Resident evil.

i wanted to watch pure combat fighting with natural stunts.natural move. no wire string no fake bomb just like ong back and TYG1. enough said

If you fans of tony jaa.don't watch this movie. or you will as disappointed as me.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]