The Best Offer (2013) Poster

143 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Capolavoro!!!
jerryos14 January 2013
I still can not describe my state of mind at the end of the film, a mixture of devastating feelings that left me breathless, a state of mind that only the greatest movies are able to leave, and this is one of those movies ! Inside there is so much stuff to talk about that in a comment like this is highly simplistic! If you love art, psychology, suspense, love stories, in short, if you love life, this movie will surprise you. A great cast of characters and works of art (TONS!) complete the work and make it an unmissable, different from all the other great movies of Tornatore. Beware then by those who want to associate this film with a film of Hitchcock because it means dismantle and destroy the film, this film is much more! Thrilling is only one small part of a masterpiece of international cinema! Absolutely a must see!
261 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Art Into Life
dgilligan1721 May 2013
Great movies have the power to make you think and this movie had me thinking for so long I couldn't sleep on the night I saw it. It is a tremendous film with a deeply unsettling message and even now, 24 hours after seeing it I am haunted by the end.

It's a fairy story and nightmare rolled into one. It's not what happens that's important it's how it happens. the story is great but the plot is even better.

Forget the bad reviews and make up your own mind. If you subscribe to the notion that Life imitates Art or Art imitates Life go see it. You won't be disappointed.
148 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My favorite 2013 movie! A precious gem by a magnificent Rush!
EdRad8918 June 2013
This is, by far, my most favorite movie of this year! I've always been a Geoffrey Rush fan, but in this movie, I've seen a very special Rush who, by the way his on screen persona goes thru a life changing metamorphosis, creates a real, day-to-day living among us man with real life personal fears, heartbreaking disillusions and self rediscovering. He makes us care for the very rigid and robotic Virgil Oldman in a way that surprises the senses. He is, in the beginning, a character who most people would find repelling by his uncomfortable attitude and bossy ways. But, as the movie proceeds, he is changed by this peculiar and frightful young woman who has a way of bringing him up, and crushing him down within minutes in their dialog. I must say that director Tornatore wrote this amazingly beautiful story with a golden pencil, I'm sure. This is not another love story. It's a life story, set in the world of Arts, where there's more to discover behind the colors of paintings and the still faces of sculptures than meets the eye. As the movie comes to an end, you will face a difficult task: to be thankful that such a story made it to the big screen, or to desire that it would've remain only in the writer's mind and heart. I give it a full 10, with no regrets. Awaiting more from Tornatore-Rush team! They get along pretty well I see.
151 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unique, intriguing and elegant. This is clearly the work of experts.
Sergeant_Tibbs26 June 2013
The only Guiseppe Tornatore film I've seen is Cinema Paradiso which is an absolute masterpiece. It surprises me that he was only in his early 30s when he directed it as the film already showed the work of an expert, given that his other films aren't as notable. The Best Offer, with its tight screenplay, lush sets, brilliant performance by Geoffrey Rush and beautiful score by Ennio Morricone, also exemplifies the sophisticated expertise filmmaking. It's refreshing to see a film with a unique universe grounded in the culture of our own with some bizarrely specific themes. While my only complaint is that the dialogue has this very "written" quality about it that is near impossible to deliver in a natural way, it's at least consistent throughout.

The story is constantly intriguing, held together by a Hitchcockian mystery feeling, and always pays off in a unique way. I'm not one for "old man and young girl romance" stories as they're rarely without uncomfortable perversion but The Best Offer completely justifies it with its well developed characters and themes. However, what makes this film so special and strange is the dramatic turn in the third act. Heartbreaking not only for the characters but for the audience that the film changes so drastically. But this is what made the film stick with me so much. It's wonderful to have a film that you toss and turn in your head, trying to figure out what it's all about. I can't divulge as anybody who hasn't seen it will be spoiled. Just go watch one of the best offers 2013 cinema has in store so far.

95 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
artistic movie with plot
dgg32198218 May 2013
Too long I am bombarded by TV shows that attempt to create drama within drama to prolong their lives. Too few movies I have seen that are so beautiful and yet have a good roller-coaster plot.

"The best offer" seems too good to be true. The music, simple, classical and with taste. At times, two channels are separated so that my attention was drawn and I can't stop enjoying the music. The sceneries, full of sculptures, paintings and other sorts of art works, combined with the view of Italy, are mesmerizing. Sylvia Hoeks is just so breathtakingly beautiful. The scene where she submerged herself under the bathtub water was just so picturesquely capture that it itself constructed a french portrait of a girl. The story is just too good to be true, the atmosphere was built up to climax so perfectly that you can sense the doom is imminent. It left me wonder, isn't it too harsh in the end? But

It is a Geoffrey Rush's show. But don't forget, it was Giuseppe Tornatore who put all these pretty things are put together.
118 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exciting as well as sensitive film about a master auctioneer who becomes obsessed with an extremely reclusive heiress
ma-cortes9 August 2013
Interesting and enthralling picture with stirring drama , ravishing cinematography and moving musical score . An epic story of a man who could do anything , except be ordinary . A story centered on an eccentric auctioneer , a great art lover , and his obsession with a heiress/collector . As the successful auctioneer called Virgil Oldman (Geoffrey Rush) becomes deeply passionate about a mysterious woman called Claire (Sylvia Hoakes) who suffers agoraphobia . Meantime , the fine art expert Virgil along with his younger friend , Robert (Jim Sturgess) , attempt to remake an ancient automaton .

Colorful and moving film dealing with a solitary man who punches drunk love with a strange girl who resides at an Italian villa only attended by a handy man . The flick relies heavily on the complex relationship between an older man and a younger woman , but this does not get bored or spoils the tale . This captivating picture contains drama , intrigue , plot twists and nostalgia completely wrapped in an enjoyable love story between a lone winner and a locked girl . The story is narrated with great sense and sensibility , the intelligent screenplay was written by Giuseppe Tornatore himself . Slightly underrated but excellent all the same time , the picture is both , enjoyable and entertaining , but overlong . Magnificent performance from Geoffrey Rush as virtuoso auctioneer who has never set his heart on real love , Jim Sturgess as his best friend and Sylvia Hoakes as the gorgeous as well as rare girl . Good acting from remaining cast , just like : Donald Sutherland , Dermot Crowley and Philip Jackson . Glowing cinematography in colorful scenarios and splendidly photographed by Flavio Zamarion who reflects marvelously the elegant restaurants , apartments , paintings , auction hall and many other things . Rousing and moving score musical by the veteran master and prolific Ennio Morricone who achieved a deserved David Di Donatello .

The picture was very well directed by Giuseppe Tornatore and won six David Di Donatello awards , including Best Film and Best Director . Tornatore made other similarly attractive films , including good actors , such as : the excellent ¨Cinema Paradise¨ with Philippe Noiret , ¨Malena¨ with Monica Belucci , ¨ The star maker¨ with Sergio Castellito , ¨Legend of 1900¨ or ¨The Legend of the Pianist on the Ocean¨ with Tim Roth , and ¨Baaria¨ with Raoul Bova ; being his English-language debut feature titled ¨The professor¨ with Ben Gazzara . ¨The best offer¨ rating : Better than average , well worth watching for exceptional cinematography , first-rate acting and wonderful score .
68 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Breathtaking. Gripping. Spine Tingling. Remarkable.
Brian Funkessentials10 September 2013
Certainly not your every day movie. This story pulls you in from the very beginning.

I expected very little, but being familiar with Geoffrey Rush and his prior role selections did hold some expectation as to what kind of a story and setting I would be witness to.

May I say that after watching this movie, I am certain I will see his character from this film in future when seeing Rush perform. His execution of the role was impeccable.

Overall - movies are very rarely made like this, from storyline, script, acting to music, there was not a moment in which i wasn't captivated.

Chilled to the bone even after completing the film, this is top shelf work and an unlikely gem I commend and will be indefinitely complementing and recommending.

Certainly a timeless movie, embark on with a cup of tea (or some pop corn) and settle in for a remarkable journey and emotion roller coaster.

10 stars.
37 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing role for Geoffrey Rush
dragulanescu20 July 2013
Another great role for Geoffrey Rush, possibly his greatest acting performance, up to today. I dare to call it "another" just because his performance in the King's Speech was quite impressive... The movie offers not only an interesting script, somehow near to Agatha's Christie novels, but also fine images and an inspired music. If you like fine paintings and antique furniture, you will enjoy watching this movie, even without paying to much attention to the criminal skeleton that leads the story...there is no place for useless sequences, everything goes smoothly and natural, the drama is well tempered until the very final peak, the whole is well balanced and wonderful. I do not know anything about the director of this movie, Mr.Giuseppe Tornatore, but, I am pretty sure that he has many other things to say in his future career...be sure to not miss this film, you will highly enjoy the time spent watching it!
60 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best movie of Berlinale 2013
mrwhiteman18 February 2013
I watched 12 most promising movies at recent Berlinale, and this was ultimately the best one. The movie is breathtaking and captures you from the first seconds. Mr. Rush acting is superb, as are the art direction, cinematography, score and of course, the plot. Film is full of beauty, emotion and humor. It feels like a united whole from beginning to the end and leaves a great impression. I was also surprised later, when I found out that it was shot digitally with Arri Alexa Studio - I was sure it was shot on film. This really is a camera which will finally kill film, although I love film so much. Ironically, film may remain the medium of choice for low budget productions, who can not afford renting this Arri beast.
92 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best of The Best (a movie can) Offer!
Biljana Gjoneska15 January 2013
This movie is about Art!

It uses the Art as a mean to illustrate the Art as an end.

The Art is used in literal sense. Namely, the exterior is set in Rome (and a bit of Prague) which are finest art statements to this day, while the interior scenes are shot in gorgeous villas among pieces of art (voluptuous sculptures, sensuous paintings, precious pieces of furniture).

But more importantly, The Art is used in metaphorical sense: The Art of transforming one's Passion into Possession. The Art of transforming one's drive for Perfection and striving for owns Protection into one's Flow and Vulnerability. The Art of merging opposing feelings, causing inner conflicts, arousing thousand emotions, attacking all senses, shaking the nerves...shaking the very ground until...

...until it becomes the ultimate Work of Art itself!

Bravo Maestro's: Tornatore, Moriconne and Rush!

Biljana Gjoneska - www.evermind.me