IMDb > Sinister (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sinister

Sinister More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 53: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

go see it!

Author: lshc_portugal from Portugal
13 December 2012

Im here on a mission to defend this movie and the horror genre.Horror movies are the ones that people expect that everything must make sense or else they find the movie"stupid",ill give you examples:"why didn't they run up hill" "Why did she went in that creepy cabin" this are some of many sentences you can hear,but this same people don't judge action movies and how the hero kill an entire platoon with one small gun,so why this judgment on horror movies?Because the sensation of fear,the thrill of being scar at any moment,but for that to happen you must absorb the movie as a whole and try to put yourselves in the characters position and not to see if the movie has clichés or not.Every movie in the world has clichés and horror genre is no exception. About this movie,it has some good scenes and ideas,like the found footage that are original and well made,the acting is good,the atmosphere at some points is very good.This is not a one star movie or a ten,it is a movie with good concept and good horror scenes.i give six because i thought they rush the end,it should be a little more build but overall i like it!

Highly Enjoyable!!!!

Author: jaxbubba from THE FARIS REEL on Facebook
25 November 2012

This film is actually a really nice, low budget horror film. More of a thriller / ghost story / boogeyman type movie with lots of "jump out at you" scares, without all the guts and gore than you have come to expect from an "R" rated horror film!!!!! Ethan Hawke is brilliant as Ellison Oswalt, a struggling "true-crimes" writer who is desperately seeking his next great novel. Ellison's claim to fame was his debut best-selling novel, Kentucky Blood; however, his books that followed over the next ten years have failed to generate the same buzz as his initial release.

Ellison (Hawke) has decided to investigate the hanging mass murder and child abduction of a middle class family in a small mid-western town. He has relocated his wife and kids to this small town as well, as he further investigates the crime scene and delves into the details of the horrific homicide. Ellison has a history of selecting living accommodations close to the crime scene; however, for this particular case he has opted to live in the crime scene household but neglects to inform his wife or family.

Ethan Hawke does a terrific job portraying the down-on-his-luck author willing to do whatever it takes to regain the popularity, fame, and notoriety of his former self. When he stumbles across a box of 8mm home films that connects another four (4) family murders with child abductions dating back 50 years, instead of turning over this additional information over to the local authorities to further investigate; he decides to use this information to his advantage to write his upcoming book. It's this decision, which ultimately puts the gears in motion and subsequently leads Ellison's demise.

Made on a shoestring budget for only $3 Million dollars; however, this film does not possess that low budget feel. Written, directed, and executive produced by Scott Derrickson, Derrickson developed a top-notched script with interesting subtext, while maintaining a high level of intensity, intrigue, and just a hint a terror to keep the audience interested, on edge, and jumpy. I definitely recommend this film, there is nothing over-the-top graphic or gory here. This is just one of those old fashion, whodunit / who's-gonna-get-it next horror films, and is done exceptionally well!!! See more of my reviews on FB @ "The Faris Reel"

Well.....

Author: haris_secerovic from Serbia
21 November 2012

...first,do not read other ppl's opinions.Just watch a movie.Turn of the light, turn up the volume.

I did that and i liked it so much.I don't care if someone said that character made bad decisions or the character of Elison is just dumb because he moved into a house where family is killed. I MEAN...WTF ?!!!Relax, its just a movie and a plot to bring you in it.To make you entertained...

So, just watch one of the best horror movies ever. (my opinion, i didn't bother listening to ppl good or bad opinions.)

A great chiller is a roller-coaster ride of emotions, with a perfect combination of goosebumps, frights, and a ghoulish story. Sinister is one of those rare scary tales where the story is just as compelling as its shock value. It's the perfect combination of modern filmmaking and age-old traditions. It doesn't rush into the scares. No, it lingers on open spaces. It anticipates your expectations. And, oh yes, there is often a payoff. Sometimes when you expect it. Sometimes when you least expect it. No doubt about it, Sinister –deserving of its name– will make your skin crawl... 4 real !!!

And, yes, Sinister wont be Sinister if it didn't had great spine-chilling soundtrack !!!

Very good "scary" movie. Worth seeing.

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
21 November 2012

This movie had me in to it right from the start. The opening scene draws you straight in with its shock value. The story is well presented and moves along nicely, as I found myself intrigued in what was behind the killings. And as for the killings they were quite nasty at stages (I saw the uncut version). Some of the scenes had the scare factor, I admit I did jump a couple of times. The tension builds nicely and you find yourself getting pulled right in to the movie, almost like you're there with the characters. I did kind of see the ending coming (although not completely), but I did like how the film ends. So overall I give this film a solid 8 out of 10.

Finally, the correct use of found footage. Truly great movie.

Author: T Cady from United States
19 November 2012

"Sinister," is a great old school, supernatural horror movie, and is a great example of how, if you are going to do it, to correctly make a movie involving the overused fad of "Found Footage." It's the story of a true crime writer,Ellison Oswalt (Ethan Hawke) that moves his family into a house formerly owned by a murdered family whose daughter is still missing. Investigating the murders for his new book he starts finding reels of 8mm footage, not only of the murdered family, but other murders as well, and a sort of boogeyman figure. Some sort of sinister plot is unfolding around him, and his sanity, and sense of dread may soon cause his family's demise as well.

The Good: This is a great horror movie. It's a sort of murder mystery/ supernatural thriller/ just plain creepy film that is reminiscent of the horror movies of the past that still creep us out today. In many ways it is much in the style of the old classic, "The Shining," mixed with the more new school of films such as "The Ring." There is no corny element to it which too many movies put in today, and it makes it a delight, at least for me, to watch.

Ethan Hawke was excellent as the crime writer and father who is seeking that next big book, yet feeling himself slip away from his idealistic views of why he chose that genre in the first place are fading. That is saying a lot coming from me because I am not a big Ethan Hawke fan outside of "Training Day." He plays the part well, and really does a great job as the story takes hold and he begins to descend into a terrified, drinking man both continuing to investigate, and feeling a sense of dread at what he might find.

The found footage in this one was great. Yes, I said it, great! Found footage is the new fad and I hate it! But this time it was perfect. The 8mm film, much of it from the 70's and early 80's had a sort of Manson-esque look that made for quite the stirring factor. I loved it.

The Bad: I really don't have a lot of bad comments to make about this movie. I could probably say that Juliet Rylance, who plays the wife and mother, Tracy, wasn't great or memorable, but then again this was more of a closed off to one man type of story. So, it didn't hurt it any. Other than that Fred Thompson probably should have had a more prominent role in the story as the town police chief.

I give this one a 10. Some may disagree, but for someone that grew up with movies like ,"The Shining," "Carrie," and "The Exorist," I appreciated the overall feel of this one and all the elements were there. It was creepy and chilling. The found footage aspect was done in a way that added to the story and the feel of them worked. Great movie for any horror fan that is getting tired of the same cliché recent movies and longs for a real good creepy movie. Turn of all the lights, hold your girlfriend, and watch a real horror movie for once! Like my review? Hate em? Comments, questions, or want a DVD reviewed before you waste your time? E-mail me at : subliminal.lithium@gmail.com

Sinister is Pure Fear.

Author: Sawaf Ahmed from United Arab Emirates
8 November 2012

How many Horror movies tried over and over, remake after remake to put fear into viewers heart and to make them walk out of the movie completely satisfied and scared?!.. not many that I can tell you, Sinister is one of those movie

It understands what is real fear, and not just a ridiculous Halloween mask.. every detail every shot isn't just another "jumpy moment", just looking at it you get scared instantly ! movies like that should be put on the top of the lists as they are "REAL" horror movies, kind of like insidious, now that was a great movie and sinister has the same "style".

and the storyline is just incredible nothing better than the combination of horror and mystery in one great film, although i would recommend to not watch the trailer because it tells you a lot! and you just have to see it to know the feeling and if you're a real horror fan you'll add this to you favorite movie's list, trust me. Sinister is real pure fear.

My rating is 10/10, it truly deserves a rating like that and I was 100% satisfied, and would LOVE to see more movies like that in the future.

Let's "Hang Out" and have a "BBQ"

Author: Zbigniew_Krycsiwiki from United States
4 November 2012

Struggling true crime writer Hawke moves his family into a country home where, unknown to his family, a quadruple murder occurred the previous year. Years earlier, he solved an old unsolved crime, published a book about it, and is now looking to repeat the process, and further extend his fifteen minutes of fame. While stowing away his belongings in the attic one night, he stumbles onto old home movies of the killing, as well as others, some dating back to the 1960s. Hawke then obsessively watches the footage, analyzing each frame, hoping to catch a glimpse of the killer, which he does- but when he sees the killer standing in the shrubbery in his backyard . . . . .

Supremely creepy, it also moves along at a good pace, despite a nearly two-hours long run time; the home movies of the killings are effectively horrifying, several great jump-scares (especially the bit with the lawn mower) and a genuinely frightening villain in the barely glimpsed Bughuul (Boogeyman) ; this is a great movie to watch in a cinema on Halloween night.

Minor quibble: we cannot decide whether or not we like its anticlimactic, non-ending. But the film still stuck in our minds long after we left the cinema, making it difficult to get to sleep that night. Very well done horror.

very scary

Author: jeaglej from austin, tx
25 October 2012

I'm not a big scary movie buff or "expert" like some people that write reviews seem to think of themselves but I will go out and say that this movie was GREAT! Some people claim they always knew when something scary was gonna happen and that it was predictable and blah blah blah but I think more that 90% of people know when something scary will happen (the music in the movies always hint to it), the point is that every scene was a build up to the ultimate climax and every time the movie hinted that something scary was gonna happen i wanted to look away but couldn't, i had to feel the chills in the back of my head and then feel them there for a good ten seconds after a scary scene was over, honestly it is a scary experience, especially if you sit down and enjoy the movie instead of sitting down and analyzing the movie and then comparing it to other movies you've seen before and doing all those things that unhappy people do to think they're staying a step ahead of the movie.........in other words just enjoy a great movie with great acting by everyone and a lot of chills throughout, it's not just a scary movie but it has a mystery factor to it so you're brain is always trying to figure out what's gonna happen next and why, enjoy!

Jumped out of my seat

Author: twintigers from United States
17 October 2012

I am a 34 year old who has been watching horror/thrillers since I was very young and I have to tell you there isn't much that gives me a scare anymore. That being said this movie did exactly that. The overall story is intriguing and scary in itself but believe me when I tell you there are many moments in this movie that will make you jump right out of your seat! It's refreshing to know that movies are still being produce that can get this desensitized 34 years old's heart racing. I don't remember the last movie I saw where I squinted my eyes and tensed my body to prepare for what was to come. Spend the money and see this one, you wont be let down!

The Lights!

Author: jeremyalexander76-503-6513 from United States
15 October 2012

I wanted to like Sinister more than I did. It definitely works better as murder mystery / thriller. It wasn't scary and the trailer spoiled most of the jump scares. The ending was anti-climatic and left me unsatisfied. My biggest gripe though, the lights. Ellison starts off with lights in his office. He tosses the Home Movies box On a table and slaps pictures up on a board. A handful of lights illuminating his office. From then on, as the film progresses and the creepiness too, he makes a conscious Choice never to turn a light on. I understand the purpose from an atmospheric stance, but it felt unrealistic and too purposeful. Throw a light on here or there. It would be more realistic and still provide pockets of blackness in the background for something creepy to pop out. Even though nothing ever does.