IMDb > Phantom (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Phantom

Phantom More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Sorry but this is a fake

Author: holgard from Samara, Russia
18 June 2013

I am a Soviet submarine officer, retired. I have to notice that this film contains a lot of fakes. Here the fakes I faced with during first 10 minutes: 1. We never rose our greatcoat collars, 2. In Russian (as well as in Soviet) army it is forbidden to give a salute without headress, 3. It is absolutely impossible if a Soviet officer get married in church. All Soviet officers were members of communistic party and marriage in church was considered as a breach of discipline. 4. There is no benches in Russian Orthodox churches. 5. The Captain wears American underwear. 6. The Captain of Soviet submarine is an epileptic??? This is an absolute nonsense. 7. Names of Soviet officers - Demy, Bruni, Alex??? 8. Any Soviet officer was restricted to travel abroad except maybe socialist countries and in the film the character travels to New York! 9. Submarine technician officer is a claustrophobic????

Well Worth the price of a Ticket

Author: Ranbud from United States
3 March 2013

First off, I am not a fan of Independent movies and find most boring or to artsy. I heard about Phantom for the first time when I watched a late night TV talk show. My interest was peaked so I went to see it an the local theater that shows this Independent movies. From the opening scene, I was hooked. My only issue was that unless you had seen other movies of this type, with the cast speaking English right from the beginning, you did not know that this was supposed to be Russian. But if you listened you could hear that they were talking about Russian locations, but the people that went with me had to ask me about 15 minutes into it if this was supposed to be Russian Navy. This movie hooks you and draws you into the life aboard a WW2 Era sub. Having actually been on this old sub as it sat in mothballs, I can tell you that there is no room for camera gear and how they filmed the inside with crew boggles me. Duchovny and Harris were spectacular in this movie and made the movie believable. The story line was very interesting and I was sad to see the movie end, but being based on a true story really peaked my interest and now I need more information. Please go see this movie, support this filmmaker, I am not associated with any of the movie or players, but for a Non Independent film watcher to love an Independent movie is really saying something.

No way this is an Independent Film!!!!

Author: Alice Anne Albano from United States
6 March 2013

Not a fan of war movies or cold war submarine movies, BUT went to see this because Ed Harris and Lance Henriksen were in it. To my complete surprise it drew me in and would not let me go. They obviously used an authentic submarine and the claustrophobic, this sub is going to just implode any minute feel, had me on edge. The cast included David Duchovny, William Fichtner, Sean Patrick Flannery, Johnathan Schaech, etc.. Did it have ' "action" - yes, but the meat of the movie was the interaction of the characters, the terror of the time - nuclear annihilation, personal guilt, love, friendship, bravery, and hatred and fear that breeds radical actions. You will regret not seeing this movie!

Decent sub thriller

Author: siderite from Romania
14 July 2013

I've read the reviews of others and I was surprised to see such a strong polarizing. People either loved or completely hated the film. I am no expert in Russian Navy protocol, subs or war in general, so that is probably why I liked it. I didn't like it too much, though; even if it has a stellar cast, it is rather average and that is how I will rate it. However I see it as a decent sub movie.

To summarize a few reviews, people hated the American actors that pretended to be Russians without Russian accents. That is so ridiculous that I will not even deign it with an analysis. If you can't like a story unless sugar spooned to you, then it's your problem. Then there were people that reported erroneous depictions of Russian life, beliefs and reality in the 60's. I can't argue with that, but then again, the slip-ups were minor and one can easily ignore them if having good intentions. The rest of the film was pretty much a combination of Red October and The Abyss (how come nobody noticed that? :) ) which were both movies I liked.

Bottom line: I considered this film a reasonable achievement, even before I learned it was an independent film with only 18$mil as a budget. I personally liked it and can't account for many negative issues with the movie. Is it awesome? No. But I had fun watching it and was not bored at all.

Thrilling and claustrophobic submarine film reminiscent of days of great war movies!!

Author: lennonforever from United States
3 March 2013

Go see this film - you will love it! It boasts a fantastic story - fascinating characters and an oh so quiet -but action-packed scene chewing! Ed Harris is one of the finest actors like, EVER- the second officer is William Fichtner, whom I didn't know, but you guys probably do. And of course David Duchovnny whom I adore,though he didn't convince me AT FIRST as believable his character - he plays a bad guy, a rogue KGB agent. But as the movie progressed, so did his character.Duchovny will always be "Fox Mulder" to me. Ed Harris elevates ANYTHING he does to a 10 for me, so for he and Fichtner's portrayal 10/10 all the way!

If you love war movies ( which I have from the time I was a little girl), if you love boat or submarine movies,(which I do) if you are terrified by the thought of nuclear annihilation ( which I have always been since my elementary school days of "Duck and Cover" and that giant awful and most destruction "mushroom cloud", which I have always), if you want to feel a knot of a tension ball in your gut, if you want to experience the claustrophobic , experience of a submariner GO SEE THIS FILM! Not a moment of it's short run time is wasted. Oh if you are late to the film by 5 minutes - you will miss our beloved Lance Hendriksen- so don't be late!(Boy , is he ever looking old!) This movie ain't" glasnost"( look it up kids)- and poses THEE most terrifying existential "what if" scenario. It draws you in immediately. Well done.

"Phantom" is a good solid movie and well worth watching!!!

Author: RogerCampbell from United States
4 March 2013

When I saw the trailer for "Phantom" and read the details of what it is about I immediately got the feeling that it was going to be a really good movie and that I had to go see it. Ed Harris brings depth to any character he plays, and his portrayal as Demi, the captain of a Soviet submarine with a few skeletons in his closet is no exception. Given one last command at a time when the Cold War tensions between the super-powers are at an all time high, he must battle more than the Americans, he must battle the enemy within his own ranks. David Duchovny is brilliant as Bruni, the radical KGB agent on board who is bent on taking command of the submarine and firing a nuclear missile aimed at the United States. The twist to this is that the submarine is also armed with a secret weapon called the "Phantom" that will give off a signature signal that will lead the Americans to believe that the missile was launched from a Red Chinese submarine instead of a Soviet one. Bruni and other members of the KBG believe this will trigger an all out nuclear war between China and the United States and allow the Soviet Union to sit back and survive the holocaust unscathed. Tensions run high as Captain Demi and other loyal crew members work to diffuse the missiles warhead and retake control of the sub from the KGB agents. "Phantom" is loosely based on the true events involving the Soviet submarine K-129 in 1968.

As I sat back and enjoyed this movie I must admit that at first I found myself thinking of David Duchovny's character as being Fox Mulder. I think there are a few "X-Files" episodes that involved submarines, specifically the 17th episode of the second season titled "End Game" which led me to feel that way. However, as the movie went along and Duchovny's character Bruni developed I got over that feeling.... This is a very good solid movie and I highly recommend seeing it.

Phantom - Worth seeing

Author: WayGoneBy from U.S.A.
2 March 2013

Phantom is a drama that draws you into the reality of military life in the tight quarters of a submarine. A dramatically charged thriller, with submarine close-quarter shoot-outs and fistfights. It was especially interesting reviews were critical of the filmmakers' choice to not use Russian diction or accents, but because the ships' crew were only Russian and there was no need to differentiate the Russians from any other sect, it works well and allows the viewer the advantage of clarity of dialogue. Once the movie is underway, I found the lack of accent was a plus because it gave the film a more universal feel; it shows this human drama could be of any ethnicity. Yes, the story line is of a few rogue Russians wanting to do harm to the United States, but in the progression of the story one realizes this could be any country's agenda. The cast is quite great and each of the actors' characters are definitely believable. Harris, Duchovny, Fichtner, and Schaech portrayals are spot-on. Each of them draw you into their character's psyche and propel you deep within the motivations of action. Fichtner and Schaech perform as true professionals; really believable and quite riveting in their actions and sometimes non-actions. Schaech always brings his best to the screen, making his character shine; proving himself once again to be a great character actor and, as we know, also able to carry a lead role because of his great diversity and good looks. Kudos to the cast and crew and especially, for me, the casting director. Great choices all the way around! A drama thriller you should not miss!

Thoroughly Enjoyable

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
30 July 2013

Inspired by actual events in 1968

In 1968, a Russian diesel submarine goes out for one last mission and then it will be given to the Chinese. Captain Demi (Ed Harris) believes Bruni (David Duchovny), a KGB operative, has plans to take over the ship and start a nuclear war. Bruni will use Phantom to accomplish his mission. How to stop him?

I may be dating myself, but I couldn't help thinking of Richard Widmark during this movie. This was his kind of movie and Ed Harris does an Oscar Worthy job filling in for our departed (2008) friend. Kudos.

The language was all in English, not English with broken Russian accents. That was a good move as nothing was lost in translation by doing this.

The acting by all was excellent. There was good suspense and tension with the music helping.

This was thoroughly enjoyable and the last scenes were heartfelt and very, very clever. Keep a box of Kleenex handy as you may need it. Did I mention that the last scenes were very clever?

There is a statement at the end that says in 1968 a Russian submarine went missing and all is still classified by both the Russian and American governments. (9/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Language: Yes, not much though.

Phantom!

Author: tptouchdown from US
10 November 2013

Very well acted, with a great cast. If you are fan of Red October you will like this movie. The sub plot about the captain was unnecessary. Ed Harris does a great job in delivering his character.

Story is well told, although not new. I am surprised that this didn't do better in general release. William Fitchner should also be pointed out as an actor who always delivers good character roles.

I like the fact that they didn't try to have the actors deliver lines in broken Russian/English. We didn't need to hear bad accents to believe that this is a Russian boat. They didn't try to make the characters appear more 'Russian' by giving into stereo types.

A mix between the Hunt For Red October & Crimson Tide. Exciting and tense and true. I enjoyed this and recommend it. I say B+.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
23 June 2013

"There are only 2 reasons for a boat to go rogue. One is to defect and the other is to start a war and I don't think we're defecting." This movie is based on actual evens set during the Cold War between the US and the USSR. After returning home and excited about being on leave the A Russian sub captain (Harris) and crew are stunned when they are chosen to go on another mission right away. The mission is classified and the only one on the sub that knows the details is a KGB agent Duchovny). When certain details emerge the crew starts to rethink the orders they are given. I was looking forward to seeing this for really one reason. I am a huge Ed Harris fan. He did not disappoint in this movie. The movie itself is also really good and the best way to describe it is a mix of Hunt For Red Octber and Crimson Tide. The fact that the movie is true makes it even more interesting to watch. It is a little predictable but that does not take away from the enjoyment of the movie at all. If you are a fan of movies like Red October then this movie is for you. I recommend this. Overall, very tense and exciting. I give it a B+.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]