IMDb > Glee: The 3D Concert Movie (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Was really unsatisfied

Author: drakemccarty_kv from United States
13 August 2011

***Warning - This contains spoilers***

The title of the movie suggests you are going to see the kids from 'New Directions' singing, dancing, talking to the crowd and interacting on stage. That was ultimately not what this movie is.

The movie starts out interviewing tons of frantic glee fans about who they like most, and then one by one you see a few of the characters and they talk. From there it is just one huge jumbled mess, there is three stories that are being told throughout the movie. Three stories that I felt played no part in the glee concert at all, and could have (should have) been left out. The movie jumps a lot. It goes from a very short performance, fades to black, and then starts something else (whether that be a story, or a back-stage thing). What really bothered me is that they really didn't perform that many songs, and I doubt the real audience was watching these three kids lives.

Over-all I don't think that the movie was as good as it could have been. They didn't perform more than maybe 13 songs (all of which were shortened versions), the majority of scenes used in the trailer weren't in the movie, they emphasized too much on these three kids who had nothing at all to do with glee, and to my surprise there was a lot of lip syncing, it was really obvious. Other times the record playing in the background would be louder than their microphones, so you couldn't hear them. Only their voice recorded in the studio, which is still lip syncing. Only one performance really stood out in the whole film, and the rest were really boring. The best part of the movie was getting the free cheap iron-on glee 3D tote-bag.

Were the performances good? Not really. I feel that one night could have been spent filming this. Instead of filming at a ton of different locations. A few of the performances were badly lip synced, and sounded exactly as they did on TV.

Was it funny? Not really. The only funny parts were the 2 or 3 scripted "back-stage" scenes where they went into character, surprisingly most of the characters were left of for these scenes.

Does this substitute for the real concert? Not at all. I can't imagine them really singing 12 or 13 *shortened* songs and playing a bunch of videos for a concert. This should have been called "Glee 3D: The concert documentary". If this would have been a concert, I would be furious and request a refund.

Do I recommend seeing it? No. This was a waste of money.

Listen to Sue, Don't Waste your Money on this Flick

Author: rgkarim from United States
14 August 2011

Glee the movie has arrived in theaters and has been receiving sensational reviews, some stating it to be one of the best movies of the summer. Various reviews mentioned brilliant song and dance numbers, fun and witty dialog, and behind the scenes shots showing the cast getting ready for the concert. I'm here to give my insight on the tale about the 3-D event of the summer centering on the musical T.V. show.

Glee 3-D starts out showing thousands of fans of the popular TV show standing in front of the camera and giving the loser sign the show has made popular. The audience, unfortunately, is subjected to watching various die hard fanatics in their Glee attire as they tell the audience who their favorite characters are, and in some cases why they are. Once we get through the sea of Gleeks, we get a backstage look at Rachel Berry, Lea Michele as she shares how she keeps her vocal chords in shape for the show. A few backstage shots, which are mainly the characters getting their makeup put on and saying a few lines. After about ten minutes into the movie, the audience gets to hear their first song, which believe it or not is Don't Stop Believing by Journey, and in a pretty awesome opening we get an intro to cast of characters.

It's here I'll say that a majority of the songs in this movie are only excerpts from the live stage show. Fans looking to hear the complete versions of songs and fantastic dance numbers will be disappointed to hear that most of the songs are only about a minute long. A few numbers are almost the complete song, but these songs are few and far in between. Although I'm not a big fan, I have to admit that the songs they picked have a catchy bumpy beat. A few of the numbers even have a good blend of dancing and special effects, but it is still not enough to call this the best movie of the summer. I'm also here to tell you that the dance numbers the commercials have shown are constantly interrupted with shots of the Glee fans going insane in their seats as they scream in excitement at seeing the cast on stage. To tell you the truth, about half the cinematography focuses on the fans, a majority of which are screaming girls.

In between the shots of screaming fans and show excerpts, the audience is subjected to one of two different scenarios. One scenario is the backstage preparation you were promised. The backstage is really nothing more than one or two members of the cast, acting as their characters in the show, making a couple of quick remarks to the camera, which are weak attempts to get a laugh out of the audience. There is no backstage rehearsals, no warming up dialog, and no good luck rituals, so if you're expecting to see this you'll be disappointed. The other scenario the audience is subjected to is getting an insight into three real life stories about die hard Glee fans who state Glee has changed their lives. Throughout the movie the audience gets to hear about how hard these three kids' lives were and how they were considered freaks/losers. However a shining ray of hope, Glee in this case, came to their rescue and now they are better people because of it. Although it is meant to be emotionally stimulating and inspiring, most of the editing, accompanying music and what the kids say is more eye rolling than anything else. I'm glad the kids' found happiness and acceptance by friends, but the fact their stories were in a movie about the concert made me feel that these stories were used to pump up the already over inflated egos of the Glee cast. These stories really just didn't seem appropriate to be in a concert movie and instead should be in a documentary or a news clip on T.V.

Perhaps the biggest thing that made me mad about this movie was the fact that it was only shot in 3-D. The whole time I watched the film, I found the 3-D pointless as it provided no special benefits to the movie, i.e. better depth in shading or things flying out of the screen. In fact, I found the 3-D more distracting than anything else as I saw the constant shadows of the screaming audience move across the screen taking my eyes away from the film. Thus the only reason I could think of shooting this film in 3-D is that they wanted to make more money at the boxy office.

To finish up this review, Glee 3-D seems to be more of a fan glorification movie than an actual concert movie. Although the songs are sung in the fashion that fans like, and some of the dance work is still as vibrant as ever, the screaming fans, and small song excerpts were really not that impressive. Tie in the fact that the back stage shots are weak and the fan stories that take up the rest of the time feel overacted and you have the mediocre film that is Glee 3-D. The Robbie score for this movie is somewhere between a 4.5-5.0, and I suggest going to see the live show the editors of the movie threw together to make this movie, it's probably a better use of your money. Until next time my friends this is Robbie K signing off.

Please email me at to provide constructive criticism.

Disappointed, but still a big GLEE fan

Author: sharontur from United States
20 August 2011

I went to see the live concert, and couldn't wait for the movie to come out to be able to see it up close and personal. I sat in the 2nd balcony, so the kids were ants on stage, but I still loved being there.

I wanted to see the CONCERT in the movie, not the personal stories, or the camera panning away to the fans (some of this is fine, but they did that too often). They also did some fun things at the concert - skits and the interaction of the teachers on the big screen, that were cut out of the movie. The fan interviews would have been good to do at the end, or put as extra features on the DVD.

The one thing I thought was awesome was the little boy who imitated Darren Criss at the end of the movie.

Overall, I was hugely disappointed in the selection the producer and editor made for what was shown to the audience. The kids are still great, and I'm a big fan of their talent and energy.

Bad enough to even put off we Gleeks!

Author: WebKinect from United Kingdom
19 August 2011

Being huge gleeks my partner and i couldn't wait to see this but wish we hadn't bothered. The 'movie', a term i use very lightly consists of some of our favourite characters singing and dancing a bit on stage and a good third of the 'movie' is spent listening to other fans comment about how Glee has changed their lives. There are no set changes, no real costume changes as such which combined with the filming of the other gleeks commenting about how the series changed their lives, THAT REALLY IS IT!!

And for one last kick in the teeth there were no signs of Mr Schooster either!

All in all a pretty boring 1hr 45mins of our lives we'll never get back and frankly if we weren't as big fans we are, this pathetic excuse for a 'movie / concert' would be enough to put you off the series!!

A BIG let down and very disappointing!!!

Could have been better (don't bother seeing if you saw the concert live)

Author: AshleyCat700 from United States
13 August 2011

First if you were fortunate enough to go see the concert live this movie is a waste of your time. I decided to go see even though I was able to go to the concert because I wasn't able to enjoy all the songs because I couldn't see over everyone.

CONTAINS MODERATE SPOILERS: While I know they added the glee fans and some of their stories on how glee changed there lives to be meaningful, I really didn't care. I only wanted to see the cast sing and adding those stories as transitions between songs to me was annoying and cut you off from seeing all the song because they would start the songs amidst the interview. Again if you were able to see the concert live, they had some small dialogue in between songs (some of which you see in the previews) which I feel could have let it flow better, but I'm assuming they cut it because the songs were out of order in the movie.

The cast in character interviews while weird they were actually amusing and I kinda wished they interviewed all of the cast instead of about half.

All in all if you're a huge gleek or just want to enjoy the concert then I'd so go see it, but if not then just save your money.

P.S. If anybody is wondering why Blaine is singing songs with New Directions it's because during the concert Kurt asks Blaine to join.

A rare type of movie - this one is average!

Author: Alexander Banks from London, England
25 August 2011

I am not a Glee fan. I don't like or dislike it. I hardly knew anything about Glee before watching this movie. To cut a long story short on why I chose to see this film at the cinema is because we had time to kill in the day, had money and wanted to see a movie. Yes, so out of the likes of 'Harry Potter' and 'Super 8' currently showing, why to choose Glee? We wanted a new experience. And that's what we got.

I was aware that concert movies are... bad. I'm referring to 'Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience' and 'Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert'. Neither of which I've seen, but have got bad reviews. They both boast about the fact they are in 3D, like Glee 3D. However, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Whilst settling down in my seat, aware of how many of the opposite sex and crowded the cinema had been for a long time, I was wondering "Is this a film only Gleeks will benefit from seeing?". The lights were off and it begun.

One thing I noticed about the movie is that it's not just about the concert. It's half-concert, half-"looking at fans and how Glee 'changed their lives'".

The concert. It was very well choreographed. The dancing was great and so was the singing. All of the cast were very friendly with the crowd and I enjoyed that.

The fans. Their stories were original and they were touching. However, it didn't make much sense. Admittedly, they were saying how Glee helped them in life, but it seems it may have been a way to fill up 45 minutes.

The content was good. But you need to think. How is the concert shown to the audience. The camera angles changed frequently and the concert effects (i.e. smoke) were good.

The movie boasts about being 3D. So just how good was that? Average. The microphones popped out of the screen and some bits like right at the end where the cast released streamers were impressive.

Unfortunately, only the concert scenes were in 3D. So only half of the movie feels like you're there. But I suppose the experience is like you're at the concert, watching Glee at the arena, not in your cinema seat. Still, shooting the fans' stories in 3D would have been a nice touch.

Overall, if you're looking for a concert movie better than the others where the 3D effects are OK, watch Glee 3D. However, more could be done with the actual CONCERT. It is Glee: The 3D Concert Movie after all. If you don't know Glee and want to become a Gleek, or if you are one already, Glee 3D is for you.

Glee has opened the way for losers to be winners

Author: Darling from United States
8 December 2011

So seriously I am a fan of glee but I won't call myself a die hard fan like those who went to the concert but after watching this movie I think I've become a huge gleek.

From the moment the movie started and you see the fans talking about their favorite characters I knew I was in for something good. I really didn't mind the skits on those three fans and how glee changed their lives being in the movie, I think it made it even more enjoyable. I agree the timed used for those could have been used to show us more songs and allowed us to hear the full songs instead of those 1 minute tracks, but as I said it was good.

My only problem that I had with the movie of not seeing Mr Schooster. I was like expecting him to pop up any moment in the movie and everything would be just perfect, I've not heard why he was not there but I supposed something might have happened for him to not been able to come.

So what I will say to the producers, please give us another movie and this time bring in Mr. Schooster and more music.

Oh and let's not forget, that little kid who was singing to Blaine's songs was the hit of the movie for me. I just loved it. And Rachel Berry and Finn are just awesome singers.

One other huge thing I loved was when Artie got up from the wheelchair and was dancing, I just got up from my bed and started dancing with him(lol).

So glee fan or not and you just watch the series because you like watching TV series or you are a music lover then I recommend you to go watch this movie and don't listen to the bad comments people say about this.

This is my first ever review so guys don't be too hard on me.

A Movie Worth Watching If You Never Saw Them Live & Even If You Did.

Author: rnoelle-89749 from United States
20 September 2016

The movie provides those who never got the chance to see people they idolize up on the big screen: as if they were there. For people like me, who couldn't afford the chance of seeing my favorite people in the world. This movie is beautiful, I could of seen more of backstage scenes and full songs, not the TV edited versions but none the less, watching Ambery Riley sing to me "Ain't No Way" and Lea Michele give a beautiful rendition of "Don't Rain on My Parade" <- Always a favorite. This movie deserves more good reviews than it has been receiving. Also, it's another chance to hear the beautiful voice and talent of the late Cory Monteith. For me? That makes this movie worth buying too see his shining face. Ever star shines on the screen. Naya Rivera and Heather Morris both bring down the house with Valerie (Harry Shum Jr. & the dancers add the extra kick-ass dancing to this song). Somebody To Love takes it all the way home. This movie is: Dazzling, bitter-sweet, joyful, and (cliche) Gleeful!!

Gleeful for Loyal Fans.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
25 August 2015

Glee The 3D Concert Movie (2011): Dir: Kevin Tancharoen / Cast: Dianna Agron, Lea Michele, Darren Criss, Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith: Glee has become a phenomenon on the TV circuit where its characters all associate with music while presenting a message where everyone has a place. In this film adaptation we are given a 3D concert by those associated with the show and they perform various popular songs that we know from superior talent. If you're a Glee fan then you will likely embrace its attempt at the box office. If you're not a Glee fan then you will find yourself glancing at your watch constantly. The music numbers are performed with great passion and energy but none of the stage performers are remotely interesting. We are given glimpses of fans expressing what the show represents to them. There are two segments that save the film. One involves a homosexual who tells of a crush he had in school and how his journal was misplaced and eventually exploited. Now he is able to accept his sexuality thanks to a character from the show. Another entry involves a cheer leading female dwarf who tells of her date to the prom and her becoming prom Queen. These stories are largely predictable but they hold together better than anything performed on stage. Gwenyth Paltrow appears for an on stage cameo where she performs. The point of the film is to celebrate the popularity of the TV show and its impact upon its fans. It attempts to touch our emotions through music and confessions with celebrated music yet contains no substance. Those unfamiliar with the show may not be gleeful towards attending. Score: 6 / 10

If you are a die hard fan of Glee this is for you.

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
20 November 2013

Glee The 3D Concert Movie chronicles on the cast members as their charcthers performing a concert for all their die hard fans. Don't go expecting Katy Perry's Part Of Me concert movie cause this is nothing like that movie which I think was better in my opinion as we get to know more about Katy Perry. Here the cast of Glee are performing as their charcthers with hits like Don't Stop Believing,Firework,Im A Slave 4 U,Silly Love Songs,PYT and more.

I've liked Glee since 2009 and this was actually a good concert movie BUT there are some problems.

1. The singers: Now all the Glee cast is great but I think some of them were forced and trying too hard also half of them never sang like Lea Michele,Mark Sailing(who I swear to god reminds me of that dude from A Walk To Remember Shane West),and Heather Norris NEVER SANG only lip- synced. But Darren Criss DID sing as he was sorta breathless and I think his cute.

2. No Jane Lynch or Matthew Morrison,seriously Jane Lynch is hilarious in Glee as the arrogant coach Sue Sylvester or Morrison as Will the teacher that taught Glee to sing.

3. Gwyneth Pattrow CANNOT sing end of discussion.

Overall its a 6 for me.