IMDb > Yoko (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Yoko More at IMDbPro »

Nearly a direct lift of another very famous film's plot

Author: John Lind from United States
23 June 2014

Potential Plot Spoiler: Yoko is nearly a direct lift of Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial plot line with a cute yeti from the Himalayas instead of a cute alien from another planet. The yeti, who ends up accidentally transported from its igloo home in the Himalayas to a temperate climate populated by humans, is seeking to get home, and is discovered by a preadolescent child. In the meantime, all the adults are either evil, trying to capture it, or they just don't understand and don't "get it" leaving the kids to their own devices. OK for a very young children's film, and by young I mean very young in the 5-7 or 8 range. It's quite sappy and highly predictable. Only 2 stars for incredible lack of originality with just enough difference to evade a Spielberg E.T. plagiarism lawsuit. If you've seen E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, you've seen Yoko. If you haven't, see E.T. instead as it's a better executed timeless classic.

For the little ones

Author: kosmasp
17 December 2012

First of all I have to say I'm glad that this movie was made in Germany. It's always good to have different genres being represented in a country and I think the effort put into this pays off (partly). Especially the little ones will love this. It's a simple story, simple moral tale, simple characters and things that the young ones can relate too. Learning by being entertained sort of.

Interesting choice for one of the bad guys, whose better known for his leading role in a TV series that I never watched, but still many recognize as the good guy with the dog. Talking about dogs: Yoko is not a dog, but I guess you knew that from the picture on the cover. Watch with children or have low (very low) expectations and let the kid inside of you out.