IMDb > "Around the World in 80 Ways" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Redneck arrogance at its worst

Author: Paulysid from Australia
27 September 2014

This could have been an interesting series showing interesting parts of the world and focusing on varied transportation which would demonstrate how the common need of getting around, shared by all people across the planet has been approached.

This has in part been achieved, but it has been done through the eyes of two guys that the world shouldn't be subjected to; one monster truck driver that is known for having no sense even in that circle where the expectation is that he will destroy his own equipment rather than actually finish the competition, and the other host is a professional jerk that does the reality TV circuit.

Having hosts of a show like this that are humorous is of course desirable, but instead of humorous these guys are disrespectful morons.

These guys appear to approach everything they come across from a place of superiority, with an air of "these silly foreigners", there is certainly a touch of irony in this belief when it comes to questionable culturally specific transportation coming from a monster truck driver.

This isn't a dig at American rednecks, it would have been just as bad had it been Australian bogans, English chavs or members of any other equivalent subculture, it is about taking the most culturally ignorant from one culture and using them to show others, and coming from that place of wilful ignorance could only ever result in a disrespectful spectacle.

Rob and Denis

Author: hollyt736
10 January 2012

I loved it and recorded the episode showing all my friends. I have only watched the first one but am excited to see the rest. I hope to see a second season starring both of them. Maybe because they star the two people I love Gravedigger and Rob best ones to host the show. I never knew Denis could be so funny. Love how they play off each other. I have seen every bonus episodes there are. Its great history and I have learned a lot just on one episode. It has every aspect I think its funny. I am now a big fan and hope that Rob and Denis do another show together. I keep seeing Denis on Monster Truck and he does not seem to have that good of giving jokes but wow it was a welcome change.