IMDb > The Call (2013/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Call

The Call More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 24: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A Surprisingly Good Entry

Author: marais-alexander from United States
22 September 2013

This film was actually pretty well-done. Granted, the serial killer's gruesome motivations for the kidnappings are identical to those of other such antagonists in similar films. Besides that cliché, the film is a solid, completely uninventive but competently made thriller film with definite aspects of the horror genre thrown in the mix. The ending felt a bit too grandiose for a film of this budget, which clearly was small. The best scenes are the ones where Jordan (Academy Award Winner Halle Berry) is attempting to calm terrified teenager Casey Welson (a very different Abigail Breslin) while she is locked in the trunk of a psychotic child murderer. The correspondence between the two women is well-played. While their lines are weak, Berry and Breslin make enormously sympathetic heroines. The photography and film editing of The Call is effective as well. It starts to become a bit stylized around the middle, with a Zoolander- like gasoline death being shown in a serious of still images. The violence level of the film around the middle also becomes more extreme. At times you have to suspend your disbelief at the killer's inexplicable ability to appear out of nowhere. Everything else - including the disturbing deaths - are dead serious and very real. Michael Ekin, who plays the killer, does a good job as a creepy antagonist. I would have liked the character to have more meat and learn more about his pathology that drives him to kill - as some gross hints sprinkled in an old photo album are all we ever get to know about him. All in all it's a square, highly uninventive, but highly competent horror/thriller from Brad Anderson who has done an array of far more interesting film (Session 9, for instance). I'll be interested in seeing Anderson do a film that is both bigger budgeted than his others but more interesting like his more micro budgeted projects.

Don't you just hate being put on hold?

Author: ArT_of_InSaNiTy from United Kingdom
22 September 2013

It's a good film; it has moments of real intensity and it gives you an insight into what life may be like for a 911 operator and just how distressing the calls can be. But i just wish they kept that realism about it throughout rather than having the 911 operator do her best Clarice Starling impersonation. That blatant rip off aside Halle Berry is excellent as Jordan Turner; she seems to just immerse herself in the emotional situation; extremely convincing. Abigail Breslin does well playing a tough part and Micheal Eklund has the psychotic expression perfected; looking like he's been hypnotised by insanity; you'll know the face when you see it.

The film constantly accelerates, but instead of rocketing into the sky and giving the audience an explosive ending. They give you a cheap firework that whistles into the air and fizzles away. To relate; they simply put you on hold, but don't ever come back. I don't say this to deter people from watching this film,but i say it to avoid disappointment and prepare yourself for an anti-climax.

6.25/10

It's already (been) done......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
21 September 2013

Jordan Turner is an experienced 911 operator, but she makes an error in judgment and a call ends badly.

She is devastated and unsure if she can continue.

When teenager Casey Welson is abducted in the back of a man's car and calls 911, Jordan is the one called upon to use all of her experience and quick thinking to help Casey escape.

But not just to save Casey... to make sure the man is brought to justice....

I really wasn't surprised that this was originally going to be directed by Schumacher, because this has him written all over it, like the negative of Phone Booth if you would.

What I also noticed was that this movie harked back to the thrillers of the late nineties, like Kiss The Girls, Snake Eyes, 8mm, et al.

Saying all this though, despite the movies flaws (and there are lots and lots), its entertaining fluff, and even though she has a mop head for hair, Berry is wonderfully over the top in this.

There is only so many facial expressions she can have staring into a computer screen, concerned, anguished, aghast, perplexed, agog, here she displays them all.

Its predictable stuff, and when Berry goes all Saw come the end, you just roll your eyes and think 'fair enough, I forgive you'.

Because before you've had a 911 operator wasting time talking to an old man, members of the public totally ignoring the fact that a girl has a hand waving out of the car (yes the woman did ring the police, but why didn't she just follow them and stay on the phone?).

And the worse one of all, the licence plate swap. Why couldn't the police just look for a red car with that licence plat? Face to palm...

But its a thriller, and one that begs you to suspend disbelief. Its a strangely watchable movie, and despite it features one of the most moronic kidnappers ever committed to screen, its silly fun.

Plus it's the best film ever to show you how to be quick and efficient at painting road markings....

Something Different

Author: clairborrill-797-795819 from UK
20 September 2013

I don't normally get scared by films but this film got me!!! Filled with tense drama that has a Saw feel to the ending.

Kept me gripped and afraid to use the toilet after-wards.

Worth a watch as it is something different, makes a change from the gory predictable horrors.

This film is filled with twists and turns and defo worth a watch.

Halle Berry is a fab actor and plays this role with truth and emotion. and the insights into how the 911 call center works and the dramas you forget happen in the world are shown really well.

Made me think of the 9/11 disasters and how the 911 call centers delt with those calls.

Slender Threads

Author: writers_reign from London, England
20 September 2013

It may have taken the thick end of 50 years to get there but we finally have a spin-off of The Slender Thread from the mid-sixties, in which Sidney Poitier in a call centre tries to keep Ann Bancroft talking long enough so someone can get to her before she commits suicide. In this case Abigail Breslin isn't trying to kill herself, instead there's someone trying to cut in the middle man. This is one of those movies where even as you're saying to yourself 'how implausible is this, let me count the ways', you're also succumbing to the thrill element. On the plus side there's some nice detail of a 911 call centre and some good acting but one the minus side virtually everything is risible. Let's take the first incident, a girl is alone in a house and sees someone about to break in. She calls 911, natch, and the operator, Halle Berry, tries to calm her down and talk her through the situation BUT, what is never explained is WHY the intruder - who, incidentally, smashed his way in, seemingly unconcerned about the noise which might draw attention to himself - targeted that particular house? How did he know he wouldn't find an entire family there instead of just one frightened girl? From there it has to go downhill because, frankly, this is SLOPPY writing. The second incident is even more risible: The heavy 1) runs over the girl in a well-lit garage IN THE DAYTIME, 2) a man in another car becomes suspicious - also in daytime, because the kidnapper is acting suspiciously by the open trunk of his car - in which the kidnapped girl, Breslin, is in full view; although the other guy is suspicious HE DOES NOT WALK THE TWO OR THREE STEPS that would enable him to see into the trunk and, of course, end the story right there. Instead, he drives a hundred yards away and takes out his cell to call 911 - and THAT's when the kidnapper - again in broad daylight - stabs him to death with a screwdriver, not once, not twice, but at least a dozen times. AND NO ONE NOTICES. I would go on but you get the picture, we're talking Fantasy Island here. The guy is certainly a certified ding-dong yet his wife and children seem perfectly normal whiles there's no way they could live with a fruitcake like that and suspect nothing. And these are the more LOGICAL points of a sloppy, sloppy, script.

Suspenseful but fell short

Author: januaryman-1 from Stephens County, OK
17 September 2013

The Call was very suspense with a lot of tension in it, but there were quite a few contrived moments in it that left me disappointed.

The ending of the movie was also very disappointing to me. Unbelievable action from what were otherwise very sympathetic characters.

Halle Berry is lovely and capable as usual. Abigail Breslin grows with each role. The script however could have used a script doctor. The movie could have been much better with a blop of Bondo and some polishing.

Its an okay move that will entertain you now and be forgotten fairly quickly.

An Edge Of Your Seat Thriller With A Superb Cast

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
15 September 2013

Two words to start out my thoughts on this movie: Abigail Breslin! What an absolutely magnificent performance from a still teenaged actress. I've seen a couple of movies she's been in at a much younger age, but can't say I was incredibly familiar with her. She blew me away. The role was a hard one for such a young actress. As Casey Welson, she plays a young girl kidnapped and thrown into the trunk of a car, driven around and then faced with a horrifying fate. Much of her part of the movie was, indeed, filmed in the trunk of a car. That cannot be an easy environment but she did well. And she captured perfectly the terror a young girl would feel in that situation. As far as I was concerned, she was absolutely brilliant and was the highlight of this movie.

That's not to discredit the rest of the cast. The actual star of the movie is Halle Berry, and she offered a very strong performance as well. She played Jordan Turner, a 911 operator whose rare mistake costs a young girl's life as the movie starts, and who then finds herself once again at the other end of the phone with Casey, desperately trying to figure out a way to find out where she is so she can send the police. Berry was also excellent, her emotions were believable. And as the kidnapper, Michael Eklund also shone in a totally creepy way. There really was not a weak member of the cast in this.

The story is edge of your seat stuff, as you first deal right off the top with the terror of the first victim being sought by an intruder in her home, and then as you find yourself pulled into Casey's nightmare. You cannot stop watching this. The scenes inside the 911 headquarters were interesting, as you get a sense of the job - mundane call after mundane call, until ... all of a sudden ... something happens. Absolutely fascinating.

There are a few times when the movie is a bit graphic, and not for the squeamish. And without giving it away, the only thing that substantially weakened this movie for me was the ending. It may have offered a certain sense of morbid satisfaction to see the kidnapper apparently dealt with in a particularly unpleasant way, but it seemed to me to be just a bit too over the top, and therefore not believable. For me, it also took away from the nobility of Jordan and Casey, who were both strong characters who shouldn't have had to stoop that low. I realize that I seem to be in the minority on this, but I just didn't care for the ending.

Story-line, and Review-No Spoilers!

Author: Ebony-rosie from Australia
10 September 2013

The Calling is definitely a teeth clenching, tense genre that allows the viewer to feel the emotions the characters are feeling. We all generally know that thrillers have that sense of entitlement, where you get drawn to the movie. Halle Berry plays a 911 emergency helpline operator. People looking for answers contact her in a high state of distress after witnessing unusual events , and she does her best to talk them down.She receives a suspicious 911 call where a young girl has been kidnapped and needs help ASAP! Will she survive?,It's worth the watch and really feeds the audience with terror and puts you outside your comfort zone, Stay tuned for more reviews and enjoy watching the movie if your interested, -Ebony.Rosie

Better then I expected....

Author: www.bloodybanter.com . from United States
9 September 2013

I really had no desire to see "The Call", in theatres or as a rental. I'm not a Halle Berry fan so it just wasn't something I thought I'd enjoy.

A co-worker told me he felt the same way but grabbed it from Redbox a few nights earlier. He said it wasn't bad & that he was quite surprised about how much he enjoyed it.

With his recommendation, I gave it a shot. He was right...not bad. It's no masterpiece by any means but it's a good little thriller.

Abigail Breslin was almost unrecognizable from just a couple years ago in "Zombieland", let alone "Little Miss Sunshine". She was the "star" of the film...followed by Michael Eklund, who made you believe he was a psychopath.

With a good flow to the story & intensity throughout...I say give it a try...you too may be surprised.

A Mindless Plot Which Manages To Keep You Hooked. ♦ 64%

Author: Tejas Nair from Economic Capital Of India
8 September 2013

The plot is too mindless for any audience wherein you ask yourself, "Is that even possible?" And you ask it a couple of times. Other than the so-called twisty climax, The Call smothers in itself.

The thrilling quotient is, of course very high but I am disappointed with the same old depiction of kidnapping by a psycho. There will come a time, were everything will look like it was cooked up just like all the elements were, in Fire With Fire (2012). Whoa! And as icing on top, the characters suddenly change their idiosyncrasies so as to keep us hooked with a strange climax.

A tad implicit, the plot, the screenplay manages to keep us hooked whatsoever for 90 minutes. But, from a critical (read intellectual) point of view, it is dull & hollow. There are lots of plot holes & things which would never happen in real life. But for a movie so subterfuge-ly sharp, 6.4 out of 10.

BOTTOM LINE: Recommended not because of its shallow plot, but because it entertains for sure.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? NO

Profanity: Mediocre | Vulgarity: Mild | Sex/Foreplay: No | Violence/Gore: Critical | Smoking/Alcohol: No