IMDb > The Call (2013/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Call

The Call More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

911, What is your emergency?

Author: cristi684 from Romania
29 June 2013

I saw this movie tonight.Interesting is the fact that Roma Maffia plays and alongside Halle Berry. It's an interesting movie to see, given that there has been such a subject, on the work of those or the 911 emergency service. I think this film deserves attention because we see the ins and outs of this job so that emergency dispatcher, which are subject to risks people. Has a pretty intense action. It has a few drawbacks here and there, the way it was the script, because it could have been better, but it works. The film reminds me of the intense action of the Kim Basinger, "Cellular". Interesting to see, and lead actress play as well as before. Good for them.

Paint by the numbers

Author: albrechtcm from United States
26 June 2013

This contrived suspense script goes strictly by the numbers. Only three things lacking: a cat jumping out, a car that won't start when you really need to go, and lastly, the flashlight that keeps flickering and going out. Other than that, this film follows a perfectly straight and very predictable path. Ms Berry does a very good job of being a woman traumatized by a work mishap if you can possibly believe a 911 operator could or would ever become as involved as Ms Berry does. Little Miss Sunshine acts as frightened as a girl can get in the hands of a deranged baddie. So is the other girl (I'm not sure who she is now). Michael Foster is the baddie and is certainly deranged. He's great. His eyes alone show us just how desperate and deranged he is. Ms Berry, on the 911 phone, gives him a really bad day and as the film progresses we watch him become ever more frightened, befuddled, angry and increasingly bent on following through on his insane project despite the consequences. This film does have a clever and satisfying ending I cannot reveal, but aside from that, it was pretty much so-so.

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
25 June 2013

The Call

In a perfect world you could just text an emoticon of your emergency to 9-1-1.

However, this thriller doesn't take place in Utopia, so an operator is still required.

Reeling from a home invasion call she received days ago from a young woman who was subsequently murdered, Jordan (Halle Berry) is hesitant to return to her job as a 9-1-1 operator.

Encouraged by her boyfriend (Morris Chestnut), Jordan slips on her headset once more, only to heed the desperate pleas of a kidnapped teen (Abigail Breslin) trapped in the truck of a serial killer's (Michael Eklund) car.

Unwilling to let this caller become another victim, Jordan goes above and beyond the law to track her down.

While it starts off promising, this WWE production falls to pieces in the climax with the suspense reduced to senseless drivel.

Besides, 9-1-1 is only for emergencies involving drive-thru restaurants forgetting your french fries.

Yellow Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.com

so bad, that it made me to write a review (I haven't done so in a year!)

Author: eerereps from United Kingdom
26 November 2013

I am surprised it's rated at 6.6 out of 10 currently. This film is a 4. The (over) acting in general is terrible, the linked story has awful plot holes that are insulting to the average IQ'd human. Most scenes overly dramatic and prolonged (I believe the film could be a whole 20 minutes shorter) and then there is Halle Berry's acting. HOW DID SHE WIN AN Oscar? through a cereal box competition? her acting in this film is just... let me just finish watching the film I upset myself... *finished* ... Oh my, it gets even worse! the ENDING! UNBELIEVABLY HORRIBLE! we should be paid to watch this film, rather than paying for it!!!

The Call? I'm hanging up.

Author: Jarek Gunther from United States
5 August 2013

When I saw the trailer, it reminded me of a "Taken" scenario and I thought, "eh, seems like worth looking into". I sat down, watched it and......I thought it was pretty mediocre.

Well, let's hear the plot first. Halle Berry plays a 911 operator, who takes emergency calls and sends cops to help those in need. The film opens when Halle Berry receives a call from a teenage girl as a man breaks into her house. While he is struggling to get inside, Berry tells her to go upstairs and hide, when she could've gone out the other way, hence he doesn't even know where she was at the moment. The girl hides under the bed, but loses contact with Berry and like a FREAKING MORON, she dials back, giving the girl's hiding place away and gets the girl killed. Six months later, Berry is haunted by this incident and one day receives a call from another teenage girl who winds up getting kidnapped and thrown into the kidnapper's trunk and the race is on to find her before she ends up getting killed.

The setup? Yeah, it's really good. Normally, it would be about a movie focusing on a police officer, but it focuses on a 911 operator, which is interesting because it shows how 911 operators deal with panic from the ones they're trying to save and the fact that Berry has to pull herself together and not get emotional and lose herself to help those in need. I like the conversations between the girl and Berry. The performance from Halle Berry is believable and relatable. I like the chase when she's in the trunk and is desperate to get out. It is tense and well filmed. But the other stuff? Eh... The relationship between Berry and an officer, whose name you'll forget the moment you see him never goes anywhere. And the backstory of the kidnapper is not that interesting. If it took more time, there would've been a greater understanding about him. I think the biggest problem with this movie is...GOD, these people are idiots. As I pointed out, a girl who goes upstairs when someone is breaking into their house is such a cliché that even SCREAM pointed out. Second, there is one scene when Berry goes out to look for the girl...WITHOUT ANY BACKUP. She thinks she has found where the kidnapper is hiding and enters...WITHOUT CALLING THE POLICE! I mean, yeah, she drops her phone on the way down, but the phone wasn't damaged, so she could still call the police, but decides not to due to a faulty script. And the one flaw that kills the movie is the ending. I won't give anything away, but I'll just it's...OH GOD is it stupid! My point is, it's not the EXACT ending you would expect, but...it's stupid.

So yeah, all in all, there are some good stuff, but there's bad stuff and the bad stuff overwhelms the good. The first two acts were okay, but the third act made no sense and it's a jumbled, script confusing mess and the flaws are very serious flaws. If I were to watch this movie again, I'd dial 911 for help before the third act begins.

Should be called "Hang Up" or "Bad Call"

Author: kynick2
16 June 2013

i have to set the record straight because the first reviewer suffers from delusion. This movie was absolutely terrible. It was so predictable, I left the room several times, played Othello on my cell throughout and didn't miss a thing. There was absolutely zero suspense which wouldn't have been a problem had the acting been even slightly better than a TV movie of the week. As a fan of Halle Berry...I was taken aback by how bland she was until I realized she's never been a particularly good actress, I just always thought she was beautiful...and what was the deal with her hair. (Think Danny Masterson from "that 70's show) Back to the film, her boss and her were supposed to have this "You can get over the fact that you lost a caller to a killer...like two days ago" thing going...again poorly acted. You can't take being on the phones, so you become a trainer and low and behold during a training session she takes over a call and (SPOILER COMING) TO NOBODY's surprise another girl is abducted and we find out by the same guy that took the first girl. What are the odds of that happening? you should have played the lottery in the film...winning would seem at least as statistically probable. The Hair...The Hair (In my Marlon Brando/Kurtz accent at the end of Apocalypse Now) O'll end this here, I still have 20 minutes left in the movie...that's after falling asleep 30 minutes into it the night before. FYI...I'm only going to finish because I've come this far.

Really Good

Author: Ryan Simonsson from Sweden
8 October 2013

The movie was definitely watchable! Halle Berry was perfect for this role in The Call!

It had me rounded up all along, until the end.

Drama at it's peek!

Breathtaking story!

A wake up call maybe?

If you loved Gothika, you'll love this one too!

Halle Berry is amazing in this film! She showed a lot to us viewers! It 's a breathtaking acting skill that she possesses!

I loved it and if you're up for some intense drama, you should definitely watch it !

It's really an exciting film! I definitely recommend it to you guys !

The Call was dropped after an hour

Author: Professor Wagstaff from United States
4 August 2013

**SPOILERS**

What potential this movie had! A fairly novel approach to the initial plot started out very promising. The first two acts of this film were above average suspense fanfare. Then it just completely crapped in the punch-bowl.

I am uncertain as to why movies feel the need to stoop to the levels of dense viewers. It is insulting, and more importantly infuriating for many viewers who have just spent their money and time on a film that started out worthy of both.

I realize that part of the fun in movies is suspending reality for the sake of entertainment. However, when it transcends to levels of distraction from the film, then it is a problem. I can make my peace with the exponentially growing ridiculous things in this film but eventually it became too much to ignore. A nice example is why the victim could fit half of her body through the seat but then could go no further (where by the way she could see signage to tell dispatch). Any thinking viewer is wondering why one could get their shoulders through but then not her bottom torso. But there is enough chance there to let it go and just work on enjoying yourself.

The last twenty minutes though are just unbelievably idiotic and how anyone reviews this highly is beyond me. There is an excess of stupidity within the last 20 minutes that I am not going to even attempt to break down. The point is that it is a shame that a decent film, that could have been a joy to re-watch in coming years, was thrown out with the bathwater. All in the name of stupid viewers who are evidently who they were catering to. Why so much effort and care was put into the first two acts; only to finish this way is beyond me.

I gave it a five for its efforts before the end. It was entertaining to start!

If you enjoy podcasts on film, specifically horror film, check out mine by liking us on Facebook!

Don't Answer the Phone…

Author: thesar-2 from United States
14 July 2013

…But, if you must take The Call, make sure you disconnect before the last 1 minute.

Now, I've worked in call centers since 1996, and being on the phone can be tough, repetitive and even emotionally draining…but, in the end, when the call ends, there's no more. None of my call center/office jobs involved 9-1-1 calls, thank goodness, so I do not know how I would or could handle them and successfully detach myself. Hell, the volume alone – the back-to-back-to-back calls these operators take – would send me packing on day one.

But, back to the movie. As the movie began and through the first half or so, I wasn't hating on it so much. In fact, watching these 9-1-1 operators work, if realistic, was interesting to me. Unfortunately, to have one half, there has to be another. And worse, that's what generally that defines the entire feature.

The movie was horribly shot – as if someone was trying some artistic and experimental ideas in the wrong format – try YouTube first, man, it had terrible music even when they were trying to be "current" with the retro crowds and Halle Berry had absolutely terrible hair. Sure, that's incidental, but damn, it looked awful and was very distracting throughout.

I digress. The movie highlights a "senior" 9-1-1 timid-as-a-mouse operator's two calls that involve a Jame Gumb-rip-off killer and her nervous way of helping the victims on the other end. Eventually she gets too close to the crime.

It dives deep into suspension of disbelief and would've be just "okay" had it not been for the very last shot of the movie that was so out of left field, so not in conjunction with the rest of the movie, George Zimmerman could've shown up and shot Berry and that would've been more plausible.

I'd skip it because the payoff is not worth the mediocre first 98%.

Awful Story

Author: billcr12 from United States
21 June 2013

The only reason I watched The Call was for Halle Berry as the lead, Jordan Turner. I will admit to a weakness for Halle's physical perfection; even at the age of forty six. It starts out fine, as Jordan handles 911 calls at a huge center in Los Angeles. The fast paced action is riveting for the first half of the film. The second half is so far fetched that it ruins the entire movie. A teenage girl calls as a man is breaking in to her house while she is home alone. Halle handles the situation expertly, but the result is not a good one. Another young girl is abducted but manages to stay on a cell phone from the trunk of a car for a really long time. For some unknown reason, the call cannot be located, which is a huge plot hole, as a cell phone call can be easily traced by the location of the nearest tower. In a funny side note, Michael Imperioli(Christopher from the Sopranos) makes a brief appearance with tragic consequences. The final ten minutes or so are completely absurd, and I would advise anyone with common sense to avoid The Call at all costs.