IMDb > The Call (2013/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Call

The Call More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Thrilling action movie. Worth watching, but prepare for disappointment.

Author: Alef from Brazil
20 July 2014

"The call" has disappointed many viewers as incoherence with the characters personalities and plain nonsense is introduced in a failed attempt to create a plot twist at the end. The movie is still worth watching, though, as it is able to keep the viewer entertained and curious throughout most of the movie, with thrilling action scenes and a lot of suspense.

All main actors did an OK job. I found some scenes to have some rather unrealistic acting, although I suspect that was mostly the writer's/director's fault.

Thrilling action movie. Worth watching, but prepare for disappointment.

Good for first 45 minutes and then goes stupid for the last 45 minutes

Author: reece jordan from United Kingdom
7 April 2014

I heard mixed things about The Call before I watched it on DVD last night and many people have said that the ending in stupid. They are right.

The Call stars Halle Berry as Jordan Turner as a 911 call operator who responsible for a teenage girls death and quits her job and becomes a teacher who trains trainees. However 6 months later another girl is kidnapped and it is up to her to guide the girl though the experience and try to save her.

I say that I actually enjoyed the first 45 minutes of this film. I thought that it was full of tension and contained some of the best moments of the film. However it is the last 45 minutes I have a problem with. The film decides the stop with the plot of a woman on the other line of the phone to her becoming a investigator and trying to find the girl on her own.

This is where the film lost me as was enjoying the film up till then. The woman goes from a smart to stupid in one scene. What she does is go the place where the girl was last scene and finds a secret basement and drops her phone and instead of collecting her phone and calling the police she decides to investigate on her own and finds a girls room covered in blood. She then finds the girl and attacks the man and her and the girl leave the basement knock the guy out. The film ends with Jordan and the girl tie the man up in chains and tie him to the chair and leave him without calling the police which means he is going to starve to death and stop kidnapping girls.

Some of the problems with the film are that the man who kidnaps the girl is smart and careful at the beginning but whenever something goes wrong he turns into a 8 year old and the fact that they never explain why the man has been stealing the girls and leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

However my biggest problem with The Call is the ending. I thought that the ending ruined the film for me and was so stupid. What if the guy escapes from the chair and escapes meaning that he could kidnap some more girls. Also the excuse that Jordan and the girl come up with " I found her in the woods" would mean that the police would be asking questions like Why were you Jordan out in this area and where is the man who kidnapped you. Also what if the find the man in the basement dead and find out that Jordan and the girl was the people who did this. They would be in a lot of trouble.

Altogether I like the first 45 minutes and hated the last 45 minutes of this film. The ending was terrible and the film leaved some unanswered questions. However I thought the first 45 minutes were good and Halle berry was good in this film. 4/10

Lot of suspense but an annoying end

Author: Peter Pluymers (peterp@cyberdude.com) from Kortessem, Belgium
28 January 2014

And don't make promises... cause you know you can't keep'em.

An intense thriller that had my complete attention almost to the end . The basic idea is quite original. A kidnapped teenager, Casey (Abigail Breslin) , calls 911 while being kidnapped out of the trunk of a car. The person at the call center who tries to help her through is Jordan ( Halle Berry ) . Six months earlier, she had a traumatic experience with a bad interpretation of a critical situation , which caused the death of another teen girl.

Everything a decent thriller needs is in this movie . But unfortunately also the well-known clichés and improbabilities which quickly get on my nerves . Halle B. acts in a convincing way and shows in a realistic way how nerve-wracking it is to work at a 911 call center. You can feel the pressure and stress throughout the complete movie . The first thing I was annoyed about was the speed at which she got over her panic attack and had control over the situation. She seems to be a tough lady when it comes to emotions.

Breslin also played very convincingly the victim . A teenager who's completely in a panic and starts to cry hysterically, but in the end, thanks to the coolness of the operator, can calm down . The second victim joining her in the trunk isn't that cold-blooded and starts to shout like an adolescent. Second point of annoyance .

Eklund is the super sick and deranged serial killer Michael Foster who apparently has an intense grief over his sister death. He looks as crazy as in " The Divide " .

A thriller fails in my eyes when there are multiple situations where my response sounds like : "How stupid can you be... " . And there were enough situations like that . Why not keep a pot of paint ready to hurl it in his face as soon as he opens the trunk ? I would have rammed that Screwdriver up his throat as soon as he leaned over me . And apparently he wasn't that bright after all, leaving such material in his trunk after several. The old man at the gas station was pretty stupid to use a utility knife to attack Foster. Couldn't Casey do more effort in trying to crawl out of the trunk while Foster was busy ? Who couldn't predict the cellphone would slip out of her hand? Why not get the mobile phone first , make a phone call and then go exploring ? Why do we always get that situation where the psychopath is first beaten , and then all of a sudden appears behind the victims ? I would definitely smash the guy's brains with a fire extinguisher or so. I know this extremely important to keep it exciting and so the protagonist may end up as heroine.

The end was a real anti-climax and totally unbelievable . Casey shows up out of the blue and the police leaves it that way without starting an investigation ? I'd never ever sleep again. Before you know it that sick bastard pops up besides my bed again ! All in all, a film full of suspense. It's only a pity that it's such an annoying end.

More reviews at http://opinion-as-a-moviefreak.blogspot.be

The Call-The Ending is A Real Hang-Up **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
21 January 2014

Wonderfully, fast paced thriller that goes awry with one of the most ridiculous endings.

We see what emergency 911 operators have to go through and Halle Berrie's character a true professional, makes a mistake that costs a kidnapped victim her life.

To get away from what has occurred, the Berrie character goes into the teaching aspect of training respondents. This ends when while training a second girl kidnapped victim calls and Halle soon realizes that she has fallen victim to the same killer as well.

Through technology and street-wise intelligence, Halle is able to work with the girl and at the same time hear from the phone the torture she is going through.

Halle does some detective work of her own and finally confronts the killer herself. Here is where the film goes berserk. Having turned the tables on the lunatic, the two women resort to some vigilante justice. Too bad, it was so good up until the end.

Fine start, plinky-plonk middle, awful conclusion. Take cautiously & with alcohol.

Author: TheSquiss
29 September 2013

The Call is a 'Saturday evening when there's nothing else to watch' kind of film. It starts out as an eight-star film, about midway trough it stumbles into a five-star and the final scene is so at odds with what went before that it struggles to maintain a two. I'll be generous and hit the average.

Brad Anderson's (Transsiberian, The Machinist) thriller opens where it spends approximately 50% of its time: in the Los Angeles 911 exchange. Jordan (Halle Berry in a fright wig) is an experienced operator. She takes a call from teenager Leah Templeton (Evie Thompson) and tries to talk her through an ordeal until the cops arrive. Distracted by her own emotional life, Jordan makes a textbook error and Leah winds up dead. Fast forward six months and Jordan is an emotional wreck but back at work in a new role when she is forced into taking a call from another teenage girl, Casey (Abigail Breslin), who has been abducted and regained consciousness to find herself in the boot of a speeding car.

It's a good start. The Call is not quite 'taut' but there's certainly a fair amount of tension that has the audience desperate to yell out "Why don't you tell her to…" The hunt for the car and its driver, Cassie's kidnapper, Michael Foster (Michael Eklund) is exciting. It rattles along with a fair pace as we bounce back and forth between abductee, abductor and operator.

Unfortunately, for British audiences at least, The Call follows the far superior Prisoners and cannot hope to match the tension and horror of that fine film. However, The Call falls flat not because of comparisons but because the story flounders and screenwriter Richard D'Ovidio sets up too many occurrences so blatantly that the final third is predictable and the characters act in complete contradiction to what is logical and expected from the way they have acted hitherto.

The end sequence is dreadful, the final line worse than that monumental clunker from Basic Instinct ("Get a life") and it's such a pity because The Call really wants to be, and is halfway along to being, a very fine, very exciting thriller indeed. What it evolves into is a predictable, at times awkward flick that has a really good start. Oh, and when are directors going to realise RAMPING UP THE VOLUME SO IT DEAFENS US does not actually make the scene more exciting or build the tension? Performance wise, Berry is on reasonable form. She carries the film adequately and is closer to what we expect from her after some dreadful turns in the likes of Movie 43, but I long to see her ignite the screen and wrench my gut in the way she managed in Oscar-winning style in Monster's Ball. It isn't easy to convey growing desperation and maintain the attention in a single location, but Berry is watchable as the fraught operator. It's when she steps beyond the office walls that it all goes south but I'm happy to shift the blame away from her and lay it at the feet of D'Ovidio and Anderson. Let's face it, she has to do as she's told and all she did wrong was say "Yes."

Breslin, however, is wonderful. Forget the quirky little girl from Signs, banish all thoughts of the tubby wannabee from the fantastic Little Miss Sunshine, Abigail Breslin has become a young woman and the early promise has not been squandered. I'm sure there is much more to come from Breslin but, in the confines of a boot (sorry, trunk, for the American readers) she infuses us with the terror that binds her Casey more tightly than cable ties. Like Ryan Reynolds' character in 2010's Buried, we are in no doubt as to the terror she feels and we find ourselves urging her to try something else, to fight back, knowing that we'd be in much the same state as her. The difference is that Reynolds was better served with script and direction, we never lost our ability to believe in his 'reality' and the film wasn't so obviously established that we could see pretty clearly what the conclusion would be. But that's not Breslin's fault either.

There are too many movie cliché's, too much lack of reason (are LA cops really so stupid that they walk away from locations that just might be linked to a crime without searching them thoroughly or even wrapping them in police tape so they can return later?) for The Call to be anything deeper than a fun movie experience. After an exciting start it becomes a plinky-plonk experience. Just ensure you're on at least your third glass of Bordeaux before you hit the final ten minutes.

For more reviews from The Squiss, subscribe to my blog and like the Facebook page.

Good movie terrible ending

Author: Matthew Mann (matthew.mann98@yahoo.com)
17 June 2015

The call is a film about a 911 operator who takes a call on a home invasion that leads to a young girl's murder. Six months later another girl is abducted and the kidnapper is the same guy who killed the girl six months ago.

The premise of the film is great, as it delves into the job of a 911 operator. The film was very realistic and believable, up until the end. The film did a great job in keeping pace and suspense, and make the whole situation plausible.

However the ending and few other things in the film are what ruins it. The motives of the killer aren't exactly clear except that he had a sister who had cancer, who presumably ends up dying from it. In the movie though it shows a photo of the killer kissing his sister on the lips. So there could have been an incestuous relationship. Its weird because he killed the first girl, and kidnapped the first girl to cut off there scalps for a reason that was never explained.

Lastly what really ruined the film was the ending. So Halle Berry goes to the killer's old house to look for clues, but finds the killer's secret cellar. Halle Berry starts to call the police,but conveniently drops her phone into the cellar. She then goes down to get her phone decides to explore and ends up sneaking up behind the killer and knocking him out. Then after freeing Casey the killer gets back up and chases after them. Only to be stabbed by Casey and knocked out from a fall back into the cellar. Then Casey suggests not to call the cops, but instead they lock the killer in the cellar.

There are several things wrong with this. For example she could have still dropped her phone, but walked back out to call the police, and then try to rescue Casey. How does Halle Berry go from being a traumatized nine one one operator to a bad ass? Also them locking the killer up in the cellar was super dumb. First off there is a chance off the cops finding the killer and taking prints which would screw over the two. When ever Halle Berry gets Jordan to safety the police are going to ask question, especially about the cut to her head and the bruising Casey sustained.

The film overall was good till the last five or ten minutes then it became garbage. They could have ended the film differently and it would have been so much better.

Never seen a movie go from great to bad with such ease

Author: jesperthomsen from Denmark
13 October 2014

This is one of the most frustrating movies I have seen.

Halle Berry plays Jordan, a 911 operator, who messes up a call and is partially responsible for at girl being abducted and killed. A few months later, another girl is abducted by the same man and Jordan gets the call.

The movie is executed very well up until this part. The pace is fine; the tension rises and the plot is - well, it's not that original or and parts are not very probably, but I was still OK.

But the ending...I kind of get the feeling that someone, somewhere has pushed for every bad cliché from every thriller ever to be put in this one. Someone doing something they are REALLY not supposed to - check. Fumbling at the wrong time - check. Dark basement - sure thing. And just ramming them all in there. This went from very decent and exiting to me and my girlfriend staring in disbelief and bitching that they did NOT just go there and wreck this otherwise fine movie. But they did.

So basically - it starts out well and stays pretty solid and good and then ends up completely falling apart and turning into a less than mediocre film.

With age, this movie will increase in popularity

Author: Ed-Shullivan
20 October 2013

The Call draws a few of its suspense elements from previous successful thrillers such as Taken, Saw, and Psycho. Coming out of the gate, it has drawn mixed reviews, but then so did the movie thriller Jaws and look how popular that movie is today some 40 years later. What I liked about The Call it was a well balanced suspenseful movie pitting heroine against villain, the musical score was not over bearing, and the director kept the blood and gore to a minimum, not sensationalizing how psychotic his serial killer, Michael Foster was played convincingly by Michael Eklund.

Our heroine was the 911 operator Jordan Turner, played by Halle Berry. Based on Ms. Berry's 1970's retro cauliflower hair style, and her couch potato attire, Ms. Berry did not land the lead role to draw in fans looking to see Ms. Berry as eye candy. She did have a love interest in her police boyfriend played by Morris Chestnut. I thought she did an admirable job as the 911 dispatcher handling the desperate calls of two victims kidnapped by Michael Foster.

Okay, so some of the story line was unbelievable and yet so predictable such as when Jordan Turner finished her shift and the killer still had his second victim in a hidden lair, rather than head home to decompress from handling such a stressful call, Ms. Jordan decides to go out and enter in to the cottage that the killer owned ALL BY HERSELF, DUHHH!! Another unbelievable bit of the screenplay was the bit part played by Michael Imperioli as a naive limousine driver who decided to follow the serial killers car because he notices paint dripping out of the rear brake light and a hand waving at him frantically. Of course he does not call 911 first. Oh no, he decides to first confront the killer and tell him to his face that it seems a bit strange to have paint dripping out of his back brake light and have a hand waving at him from the trunk. His fate was predictable.

The second victim, Casey Welson, played extremely well by Abigail Breslin added a lot of the suspense throughout the latter half of the movie. Fans who tend to wince away from viewing physical violence and torture please pay attention to the last 20 minutes or so because that is when the real suspense kicks in to high gear.

Personally I liked the ending and I won't spoil it for anyone. What I can say is that as the decades pass you and me by, I believe The Call will steadily grow in its popularity, and us fans who now see a senior citizen Halle Berry and a 50 or 60 year old Abigail Breslin will be talking about that 2013 movie in which a young Halle Berry and an even younger Abigail Breslin kicked some ass and took on the bad guy with a very good ending.

A thrilling movie definitely worth a look.

Author: Philipp Muzychenko from Pullman, WA
18 August 2013

It's not every day that a thriller truly captivates the audience from start to finish. The Call, directed by Brad Anderson and starring Halle Berry, is a welcomed exception. This fast-paced, clever and exciting film will have you on the edge of your sit until the movie ends, or you fall from your sit.

The plot is straightforward and believable. A young girl named Casey Welson (Abigail Breslin,) gets abducted from the mall parking lot and manages to call 911 from the trunk of the car, that she is trapped in. From then on, it's up to Casey's resourcefulness and will to survive and a 911 dispatcher Jordan Turner's (Halle Berry,) quick thinking and deductive powers to stop this horrible story from reaching its fatal conclusion.

The acting in this movie is worth mentioning. The actors actually make you feel emotions in response to their characters. You worry for, sympathize and root for Casey and Jordan, and despise the kidnapper. I believe that developing a connection with the characters makes the movie worth watching. Would anyone want to sit through a two hour movie in which you completely don't care what happens with the characters one way or another? Probably not.

My favorite aspect of the movie would have to be the fact that none of the main characters use firearms. This is refreshing to see in today's gun friendly and trigger happy culture of the United States. Plus, it makes the movie a lot more interesting.

Be prepared to have all of your snacks and refreshments at an arm's length, because this is not the movie you pause to make popcorn. This is the movie you watch on one breath, and exhale only after the end credits start to roll.

If you are looking for an exciting and emotional thrill ride, The Call is the way to go.

One of the best thriller I have seen this year

Author: Balu Vyamajala from India
3 August 2013

The movie is about how an experienced 911 operator who once fails to save one caller and stopped taking calls, saves another caller from getting killed using all her experience and intelligence.

Really I have seen in several Movies people calling 911 operators, but in no movies(what I know) actual operators were shown. Choice of subject itself was quite catchy.

The complete script is well written and very well directed. Coming to the cast, the main lead Halle Berry has done a fantastic job and others have lived up to expectation.

Particularly Halle expressions and her dialogue delivery style during the emotional scenes was touching and in the other scenes was rattling.

Few ideas she gets to save the girl are predictable, can't expect something completely out of box from 911 operator. So, I would say rightly placed, but there was an excitement in every bit of it.

Climax scene hasn't been too exiting as the initial hour of the movie, but good. In the end, I was thrilled watching this movie.