IMDb > The Call (2013/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Call

The Call More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 24: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A Good, Typical Thriller with a Twist!

Author: ahtaylortbl from United States
17 August 2013

The Call was your typical thriller movie, but it had many parts that you didn't expect. I liked the way the crew showed the background of the psycho killer. It put more depth into it. Halle Berry was an unexpected person to play a role like this, but if you have seen Monster's Ball, you would think this movie was perfect for her. I did think that more could have been done to this movie. Instead of one call, make it a few calls to get your blood pumping even MORE! Breslin played a decent part, but once again I thought someone else could have played that role. The casting was good and had a decent storyline, but with a few missing pieces, this movie gets a 6/10

Formulaic and Breathless Serial Killer Entry

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
8 August 2013

Passable Thriller with some nifty scary moments and a vehicle bound Antagonist and Victim providing some claustrophobic creepiness. It is all in line with a 911 Operator that is a bit unhinged from the stress of her chosen Occupation (?).

The Serial Killer here is portrayed realistically and repulsively and the hive-hairdo 911-Cop is somewhat, but not totally convincing as Halle Berry is jittery and breathless in and out of the "Quiet Room"

It is all quite engaging as things move along at Freeway Speed and the ending (much maligned by Critics) is really the thing that pulls this together in an eerie, if stereotypical, milieu, read dark, dank, lair. It is here that the most rewarding part of the Film is let loose and maybe just a tad better than what got us there.

Great Thriller

Author: pete pattenden from Dubai
1 August 2013

Sat and watched this on a long haul flight from the comfort of a lay flat bed, with a large amount of upper-class vino inside me - so basically a recipe for 'fall asleep before the movie ends'. BUT, I did not. The plot develops at a good pace, the action heats up and I found myself raising the lay flat bed gradually so that eventually I was back in a full upright seating position - which is just as well as I got to the edge of the seat a few times ( after relaxing the seat belt) - especially towards the end. A thoroughly entertaining film, full of suspense and a true thriller. I hope to see 'The Call 2' out sometime in the future, as the ending has a potential for that. It also shows that lower budget movies can reap great rewards if they get the formula right. Go watch, especially if you have long blonde hair!

Excellent story telling, at least for most of the time

Author: slabihoud from Austria
23 July 2013

I do agree with Claudio Carvalho that there are some unnecessary clichés at the end of the film. And he is also right that the beginning is near perfect storytelling for a thriller! The opening sequence which introduces the character of Halle Berry is gripping and haunting for the audience as well as it should be for her.

I especially like the everyday snippets of emergency calls, giving an idea how stressing this job must be and how frustrating, since most of the time the dispatcher will never now how much help he or she could give.

I watched the film with my wife who had to leave after half an hour since she could not stand the tension! As a mother of a blonde young adult it went too close to her heart and I could understand her! The film has a very fast drive and violence erupts every now and then very graphically.

Edge Of The Seat, Spectacular Film

Author: jparker9899 from United States
22 July 2013

I love this movie. From the start to end I was on the edge of my seat. An ex-phone operator trying to save an abducted girl, just like any other crime video right?

Wrong! This phone operator had a history with the kidnapper, putting more pressure on her. This movie was brilliantly scripted and the acting was great. Now when they left the man to die in the end instead of putting him in jail wasn't a good choice in my opinion but aside from that it was great!

I suggest that you rent this movie because it is a film worth watching, something rare nowadays.

Could have been...

Author: ron-fernandez-pittsburgh from United States
19 July 2013

THE CALL could have been a very good movie, but isn't. Too many loose ends unbelievable events. The start of the movie is very good as is the acting. Story of a looney who kidnaps girls who reminds him of his departed sister who he seems to have had an unhealthy relationship with. His latest kidnap victim is Casey. She's put into his trunk, has a cell phone and calls 911. Earlier a similar incident happened with Halley Barrie at the ER phone line and she fails to save the girl. This isn't going to happen again. So far, so good. Then things get out of hand which make the rest of the movie quite stupid. SPOILER ALERT: The kidnapper does all kinds of crazy things in broad daylight and no one sees anything? Beating up a man and then killing him. Changing bodies from one trunk to the other. Another incident at a gas station and no one sees anything again. The most ludicrous thing of all is the kidnappers lair. No way could a man who is married and have a full time job have the time or money to make this huge underground lair with many rooms, running water and electricity yet. And how in the world when he and he and his victims go down the ladder into the lair can the trap door where he goes down cover itself up with dirt and grass????? Just skip the lair altogether and have him have a shack or rundown home somewhere to do his dirty deeds. That would have made much more sense. Of course this is a movie and nothing is supposed to make much sense. Even with the Barrie character finds and goes down the lair with no back-up, weapon or telling anyone where she's going!!! Too stupid to be believed. Of course the end is quite controversial which doesn't make much sense either. Too bad, because this had the makings of a very good movie.

Pretty good movie, but falls short in the end.

Author: Joshua Walker from Florida, United States
17 July 2013

I was pretty entertained throughout the movie, Abigail Breslin did an amazing job as the victim and stood out as the star of the film to me. Michael Eklund as the villain, which is typecast as quite often, was good, I think he played the part fairly well in this movie as well. Halle Berry, well, I just don't find her as too much of an entertaining actress, she's much more of a eye candy actress, as opposed to a leading lady (i.e. "Swordfish", "The Last Boy Scout", "The Flintstones" etc). That being said she did an okay job at the role. The end, without giving away anything, was really quite disappointing, it was unrealistic to me and just didn't fit the movie in my opinion. All in all, this movie, with a better ending is definitely worth a watch, the plot is thought through and, like I said before, with the exception of the ending, is really good.

Opens promisingly...but gropes around for material until it sinks into "Lambs"-styled formula

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
14 July 2013

Halle Berry initially seems to have come up with a winner here, playing a seasoned 9-1-1 operator whose confidence is shaken when a young girl she was attempting to save from a home intruder is kidnapped and later found murdered. The role provides a good fit for Berry's alternately controlled and emotionally-fragile persona; she's likable and has instant audience empathy. Unfortunately, it's about this point in the picture where character study is ultimately tossed out in favor of cheap suspense. Berry becomes involved in the similar kidnapping of another teenager--by a psychotic family man with a secret, private lair who hopes to recreate his dead daughter (or girlfriend) by using the scalps of his blonde victims. Why the filmmakers chose this off-putting tact instead of sticking with sensitive, resilient Berry overcoming the odds on her job can only summed up in financial terms (one can almost hear the ideas going around at the first producer's meeting, "Let's make it "Silence of the Lambs" in the cell phone era!"). Going for a suspenseful potboiler, the movie makers trash their convincing scenario, as well as their leading lady's best efforts, and turn the whole shebang into a creepshow. "And it's got a twist ending!" *1/2 from ****

Why Not A Six? The Call Is Good, With A Few Let-Downs

Author: Noah Whitaker from United States
13 July 2013

The Call, a movie with solid acting, thrills and suspense, is not what the oh-so-revealing trailer shows it as: Another "Scream" type film, with an innocent girl on the phone pleading for help. It is a good movie all the way through, despite the abrupt and unrealistic end. Up until the ending it receives a 7.5 from me, but the ending drops it down to a six. A big let down.

The Call begins with a great setup. The acting is solid and the middle of the movie or, "The Beef" of the movie, is filled with suspense, thrills, slight amounts of horror and action as a side dish. The movie ranks a 7.5 with me until the stupid, unrealistic and abrupt ending. This not-so-good excuse for an ending drops the movie down to a solid 6.

This movie is not a movie to buy, take my advise and rent it.

One of those movies that appear quickly and vanishes quickly as well

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
12 July 2013

This one would have been a good movie to hit theaters that didn't cause much of a buzz or hype. But could have been a good movie to hit theaters and left. But the continuous parts that just didn't make much sense and constant mistakes got irritating after a while. There are some clever parts but the dumb parts overshadow it. Sure it's mostly to move the plot and lengthen the movie but the script can get poor at times and not realistic. Movies don't have to be realistic for it to be engaging but for a movie like this when the realism is what attaches you to the situation. It just didn't work with the plot-holes and mistakes. When it comes to the level of enjoyment factor it's similar to movies like "Cellular" where it's quick to appear but quick to vanish. Halle Berry plays Jordan a 911 call dispatcher who made a mistake and is going through a anxiety when it comes to her job after. But she gets confronted with a similar situation again and she is trying to win this time around. And she does smart and clever stuff while trying to help the kidnapped girl but few of her dumb mistakes overshadow it. Since at the end her effort seems to be for nothing. Even the kidnapper makes some obvious mistakes which is just to move the plot forward and leave some obvious bread crumbs. I also don't like it when people try to do the right thing and get involved in order to save lives and ends up paying severely. That happens multiple times in this movie, it sort of leaves a message to don't try to help and mind your own business kinda deal. Which I didn't particularly like. Near the end it got really far-fetched, it basically to get Halle Berry to get more hands on with the situation. And again she makes more dumb mistakes. This is few gripes that maybe slightly forced in since it's a movie. But it just takes away from this movie experience, which could have been tight most of the way through it. It's a movie that is a way to pass the time but besides that nothing much. It does have few thrilling moments but that is about it. Nothing really stands out about this one, so just a way to pass the time. Especially when it has a similar vibe and level as those investigation crime drama TV shows out there. This movie is predictable all around, except the very last scene which didn't really add much. So I give this movie a 6.