IMDb > The Call (2013/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Call

The Call More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good thriller with a couple of weak spots

Author: hotsocket from California
14 March 2013

I enjoyed this film quite a bit: it kept a good pace of tension which makes for a good thriller. The acting is good (no academy awards), and it did a good job of giving a glimpse into the operations of 911 call centers which is a fresh topic - and it did so without dragging the pace.

The main bad guy becomes ever more creepy as the plot progresses which helps build the tension. The ending takes an interesting twist which, in the moment, doesn't feel quite as out-of-character as others describe - mainly due to a good segue shot that probably took more than a few takes to get right.

The weak spots consist mainly of some CSI style technology leaps that only technology morons would buy into, and a single bit of clumsiness that just feels scripted. Unfortunately the CSI technology leaps are very popular in Hollywood (to my dismay) and the bit of clumsiness is key to the plot progression.

If one or two minor transgressions make you feel like you wasted your money, wait for it to show up on Netflix. If you enjoy a good edge of your seat thriller and can overlook the transgressions, go see it!

Loved it - intense and interesting

Author: hyprsleepy from Saint Louis, MO
18 March 2013

The Call kept my interest and had everyone wanting to scream at the screen and tell the characters what to do and urge them along. The characters would alternate between overcoming their emotions and rising to the challenge and falling prey to them at just the wrong moment. There was a constant sense of tension during the 911 call and the walk through of getting the girl to safety. Be prepared to feel that adrenaline and tension for longer than your body is normally used to. You may feel just as drained after a call as a 911 operator does...

I really enjoyed the level of detail the film makers put into showing us the world of a 911 operator and what they go through on a day to day basis. It's pretty fascinating. I know I could never do that kind of job. That kind of stress day in and day out has to wear on a person and probably often hardens them.

The ending involves a twist I wasn't expecting, and gains my respect for that, but it was still somewhat disappointing because I wanted it to go further. Those who have seen the movie will know what I mean.

If you found yourself at all interested in the trailer go see this movie! You'll like it!

Good Movie... will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Author: biggdoggreal from United States
15 March 2013

This was a good thriller and it sucks you in right from the start. There is no down time and at no point does the movie get slow as many thrillers do. One thing is for sure, You wont be able to take a potty break!

Of course the movie does have some weak points but what movies don't? My main grip would be the ending, it seemed kind of lazy, but I think they wanted to make it somewhat realistic... maybe? This movie is not going to win any awards or anything like that, but it is fun to watch. So, if you enjoy thrillers, you won't be disappointed with this one! So, go ahead and check it out, don't be over critical, just enjoy it for what it is, a fun, on the edge of your seat thriller that will get and keep you engaged from the first minute.

This is one "Call" definitely worth answering...

Author: Troy (Troy2Slick) from Toronto, Ontario
17 March 2013

It's been quite awhile since I've reviewed a movie, but this one warranted one.

I had seen the previews for this movie left and right over the past few weeks and it did a sufficient job of pulling me in, so I decided to go to to the theatre and check it out. I didn't have too many expectations going in, but were they definitely fulfilled and then some.

This movie has an old-school vibe and feel to it. It doesn't rely on heavy CGI to get it's point across. In fact, it has a very meagre budget, but it doesn't show or feel that way one single bit. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the film. The tension was top notch, the tones were absolutely spot on, the close-ups of the actors and actresses faces showed their true nervousness, stresses and worked effectively.

The story is over the top, but the acting is very good. It's been awhile since I've seen Halle Berry in a film where I deemed her performance to be honest and believable until this one.

Some people may not like some of the camera work during the "cruel" scenes, but I happen to like it.

There were a few unintentionally funny scenes, but I chalk it up to dark comedic moments and it isn't detrimental one bit.

I highly recommend you check this movie out if you love a top notch, edge of your seat, over the top plot, well acted thriller. You will most likely not be disappointed.

9 out of 10 stars, easily!

The Call is a well executed,Intelligent,Riveting piece of work

Author: Vishal Verma from India
7 April 2013

'The Call' is one of those movies where the feel dictates everything- Either you find yourself deeply engrossed,excitedly anticipating what's next or you feel disconnected and cant sit through it.With 'The call' it's the former.The movie wastes no time in getting things started and once they do,there's hardly a dull moment.The actors are well cast. Halle Berry plays a gutsy 911 phone agent who is desperate not to repeat a mistake made.Frankly she was amazing...way better than i expected.

The movie works because it has it's ingredients well cooked.The acting is superlative,the pace exhilarating.The background score is brilliant and adds another dimension to this thriller.The movie captures perfectly the horror and terror of being a kidnapped victim to a psychopath,the tension of being a 911 phone helper(Who needs to display equanimity,sympathize and be nimble-minded,all at the same time).It is a genuine tale,thrilling,intriguing .......and at times even scary.Definitely worth a watch.Go for it.

Even the few predictable turns of events are delivered with suspense

Author: Wolfgang Koch from Massachusetts, United States
13 March 2013

There is the main character who is good but not perfect, and there is the one mistake she makes that almost destroys her. And there is her nemesis, engaging her at a challenge greater than any she has had to confront before.

The Call models just about all the techniques of good storytelling. Character, plot, action, and suspense—all the ingredients of a good thriller are there, and blended well. Halle Berry gives a superb performance heading a cast that is capable overall. We can sense and feel the story as it happens.

The bad guy is always a step ahead. Except when he is two steps ahead. Except when the protagonist undertakes a bold new move and, if it works…. A big "if," that is.

On a couple of occasions, this movie gives stinging reminders of human fallibility, specifically lapses of good judgment that can cause a situation to deteriorate. We want to beckon the characters in front of us to do certain things, and fast. But they are either too daring or too guileless to anticipate the curveballs that are about to hit them.

Frustrating as that may be, the ending holds a twist gratifying enough to compensate for those frustrations. That even glosses over a certain lack of dénouement—perhaps the one part of storytelling this movie could have used more of. Or was it part of the plan to leave a few things to our imagination?

Do Yourself A Favor, and Don't Waste Your Money

Author: obiwan400 from United States
14 March 2013

I saw this 2 days before it was released because I won a free screening of the film, and I figured it couldn't be that bad. I went in with low expectations and this movie met those expectations. I'll try to avoid doling out spoilers, but just be wary of the next few paragraphs.

Simply on a plot based level, its very cliché. Halle Berry is a 911 operator in LA, who just happens to look so much better than everyone in the building, who makes a serious mistake that gets a caller killed. She ends up being emotionally scarred from this. Wait- stop me if you've heard this one.

Then, Abigail Breslin gets kidnapped after exchanging some terrible dialogue with another similar aged girl-the dialogue sounds more like something you'd hear from teenage guys on an irregular basis with lines like "I'm starving like a motherf**ker" and "He totally wants to bone you." So Breslin calls 911 and gets a newbie operator. The newbie freaks out and so Halle Berry steps in, begging the question of why anyone in their right mind would let someone take a similar call to the scarring call that happened only 6 months ago.

There are plenty of moments like this in here where the viewer is left to wonder "Does that even make sense?". There are cops overreacting, irrational and risky moves by the heads of the 911 operator office, and the movie tops it all off with Halle Berry making the dumbest decision anybody could make, which is something that everyone has seen in these movies before and not many will be surprised by it.

Speaking of surprises, the big plot twist of the movie is in the plot description here on IMDb, even though the twist was a fairly predictable move in the beginning. The whole movie ends up playing out like a bad episode of Criminal Minds, trying too hard to be a psychological thriller.

The ending is terrible, by the way. My father, who I saw this with and actually somewhat enjoyed it (his exact words were "It wasn't bad for a free movie") admitted that the ending was hokey and bad. It suddenly changes both Berry's and Breslin's characters and takes away any protagonistic features they possessed with one action. When the screen cut to black and the credits showed, somebody stood up in the audience and screamed "That was the worst ending ever!" and many laughed in agreement. As I left, I overheard people pointing out many of the logical flaws I too had noticed.

So go see this if you don't mind having your intelligence insulted. But if you're like me and plan on only spending your money on things that are worth it, do yourself a favor and don't see this.

Keeping it short and simple.

Author: Reid Hardison
24 June 2013

The Call is good solid entertainment for the first 2 acts. Until the girl is taken out of the car and into the basement, it all goes to hell. The ending makes no sense for the characters and makes me wish that I had left as soon as the hour mark hit, so I could make up my own ending. That way I wouldn't have to sit through ridiculous plot twists and generic meltdowns. Halle Berry was good but her performance in Cloud Atlas was so much better, and that is probably do to the writing and direction. Brad Anderson isn't talentless and perhaps his next film will be an improvement. But the final act just screws this movie up so much. Overall I like the film to the lowest rating I can go and still go positive but the film doesn't deserve anything higher than a 5.5/10

Save your money

Author: joed1667 from charlotte nc
22 March 2013

Are the days gone when Hollywood could turn out a good movie and not fill it with a bunch of cliché's and utter ridiculous? I too was looking forward to seeing this movie after seeing the trailers but was very disappointed. A young girl calls 911 because of someone breaking into her residence. An officer is immediately dispatched and in a large metropolitan area it's taking 8-10 minutes to get there? The girls house is rather big and dark but of course the suspect goes right to the bedroom she's hiding in then when he hears the phone from downstairs, he pinpoints it right back to that room and under the bed? You also have a major police department with a large communications center. You have separate people who take the 911 phone calls and type in the information which is then transmitted to the separate and actual dispatchers but here we had Halle Berry doing both. And does it instantly go dark in California at a certain time? The officers are at the suspects residence and determine he has a cabin in the woods. It's still light out but when they raid the cabin, it's completely dark. Did they stop off to have dinner first, get caught up in rush hour traffic, the helicopter and it's thermal imaging system was in the shop?

Then the most ridiculous part was Berry showing up herself and checking the cabin then when realizing this is the location he was calling from, does she call 911 or her boyfriend? Nope, she has to investigate further and of course,she has to drop her phone but rather than getting in her car and driving to the nearest checkpoint, she has to be the hero then vigilante. God I miss the movies of my generation!

The First Half Makes the Movie Worth Watching

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 July 2013

The skilled 911 operator Jordan Turner (Halle Berry) receives a phone call from the teenager Leah Templeton (Evie Louise Thompson) reporting a burglary at home. Jordan instructs Leah to hide herself in a room, but Jordan commits a mistake with tragic consequences, affecting her career.

Six months later, Jordan is a trainer of rookies in the 911 service haunted by her past. While showing the operation to the group, a new operator faces the call from the teenager Casey Welson (Abigail Breslin) that tells that she has been abducted. The operator panics and Jordan assumes the call, trying to calm down Casey and to get information to identify where she is and who kidnapped her. Now Jordan faces the chance of redemption and gives her best efforts to help Casey. Will she succeeds in her intent?

"The Call" is a thriller with a breathtaking first half that makes the movie worth watching. It is amazing how tense I was with the realistic despair of Casey in the trunk of the car, a type of crime not difficult to happen in Brazil. Unfortunately the writer Richard D'Ovidio does not resist to the Hollywood clichés and destroys the believable story that could have been a great thriller. Who in the world would investigate a dangerous murderer without a weapon or telling at least to her boyfriend that is a police officer the findings in the crime scene before exploring the location? Further, wouldn't be much easier to use the mall cameras to identify the red car? My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Chamado de Emergência" ("Emergency Call")

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]