IMDb > Le Chef (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Comme un chef

Le Chef More at IMDbPro »Comme un chef (original title)

a simple but refreshing comedy

Author: chatbada from France
20 March 2012

It doesn't simply deliver, it serves with elegance!

Author: kloklo_87 from Greece
21 July 2012

I've watched countless french movies and with a mother who actually lived in France for many many years it's customary to watch one together in the cinema instead on DVD. This time we made an excellent choice. It was refreshing, with smart dialogues and hilarious moments. It brought something of when everything is evolving in this world will the French cuisine take the challenge or does it even worth to try? Mu mother enjoyed it immensely and she would know having watched French's cinema finest.... As for me... I haven't laughed so since TV5 had la poison 1951 at its schedule! And as an extra treat was the lack of plot holes or nothing I noticed anyway (and believe me that'a quite hard)

Entirely predictable, and entirely delightful

Author: Harry T. Yung (harry_tk_yung@yahoo.com) from Hong Kong
12 August 2012

I'm not sure if soufflés is a good persona proxy for this movie but I'll use it anyway – light, fluffy and sweet. My summary line says the rest.

One time assassin-personified Jean Reno acquires a new persona playing Alexandre Lagarde, a Michelin 3-star chef who is in danger of being downgraded to 2-star because of rigid adherence to tradition, thereby failing to keep up with the trend. Believe it or not, his steadfast perseverance is surpassed by that of his young assistant Jacky Bonnet (superbly played by Michael Youn) who knows every receipt the master ever created by heart, and never shies away from a confrontation when he notices that the master has deviated ever so slightly from his own original receipt. More than once, when reminded that he has not followed the Largarde receipt, the 3-star chef in exasperation yells, "but I AM Lagarde".

This odd couple is thrown together by chance. On Lagarde's side, the semi-retired restaurant owner's son, in his eagerness to take over the empire, starts by sending Largarde's left- and right-hand men sway to head up establishments in other cities, with the eventual design of getting rid of Lagarde himself. As to Bonnet who, while brilliant, is entirely self-taught and therefore needs a proper entry-point into the profession that he craves. Obviously, the duo fit each other's needs perfectly, and chance does the rest.

The main plot, then, is in how the two fight off the owner's son's attempt to discredit Lagarde by inviting prestigious restaurant critics who have a preference for modern trends, such as "molecular gastronomy" (if you, like me, do not know what this is, watch the movie and find out, amidst a roar of laughs).

Almost another main plot is Bonnet's relationship with heavily pregnant girlfriend (exquisitely lovely Raphaelle Agogue), the standard rom-com staple in this movie. To complete, there is a sub-plot of Largarde's relationship with his grown-up daughter preparing for presentation and defence of an academic paper. In addition, there is the usual assortment of support and minor characters to adorn the movie.

Here you have it all: funny (at times hilarious), sweet, warm and touching, feel-good. The fact that almost everything is quite expected does not in any way diminish the pleasure you'll derive from this delightful 84-minute fare.

You will can go crazy particularly if you hungry!!!!

Author: vintkd from Russia
22 June 2012

It's very kind and nice French comedy with original plot and remarkable actors. I like films about food and different cuisines like "Julie & Julia", "Ratatouille" or "No Reservations" and if you like such films too, you'll should be watch to "Comme un chef" without fail. This film has the many such delicious and beautiful dishes with very attractive titles, that you will can go crazy particularly if you hungry. I like Jean Reno in comedian roles and here he is very funny and and as always a great. And also I fell in love French actress Raphaëlle Agogué, she is inexpressible beautiful. "Comme un chef" is very good film for watching with the loved one in the nice romantic evening, it will be raise you mood, without a doubt.

Tasteful comedy

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
5 October 2012

This is common fare light comedy about an uncommon subject; well not that uncommon when you search related titles and find a dozen or so. It's not the 2009 'Julie & Julia' for story and performances but it's charming enough if you have a bit of a culinary interest and understand the guarded pride the French have for that art (Oh yes, it's certainly an art).

You'll enjoy Reno's character and his performance but I find that the lesser known Michaël Youn has the better role here and delivers it very well. It may be more accurate to say, as another reviewer pointed out, that Reno and Youn make a nice duet. I'm happy that the movie does not make caricatures of the roles of the two main actors. One more thing, and one that gives it the flavour of a French movie, is that the love interests of both Reno and Youn are extremely attractive women, yummy, if I may say shamelessly.

Good-natured but predictable and harmless fun

Author: IndustriousAngel from Austria
9 September 2013

Nothing to be ashamed here, you can do worse than spend an evening with this comedy, but there's little here that puts it above other feel-good comedies with the exception of Jean Reno - who is, sadly, the only one here with real comedy timing. The main actor, Youn, is obviously a bit overstrained with carrying the movie.

Apart from the boring lead, the gags are OK and mostly good-natured, what's maybe missing is a bit more "bite" or bitterness in this altogether rather sweet mix. Some punches are thrown against stylish kitchen trends and star restaurants (which is OK with me, but those are easy targets).

Recommended for people who like cooking themselves (as we do).

An enjoyable comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
23 January 2013

This film is about a chef who has to do his best and reinvent his culinary style in order to stop his boss from closing his restaurant.

"The Chef" is a light hearted way to look at a chef's struggle to keep his act up. He recruits a young chef to help him out, and much hilarity ensues when personalities and different methods of cooking clash. The film keeps a good pace, and there are plenty of funny scenes to keep viewers entertained. I particularly enjoy the scenes on molecular cuisine experimentation, they are so hilarious! The interpersonal relationships are well handled, particularly between the two chefs and between the young chef and his wife. The portrayal of the young chef's financial problem looks very real, and many viewers will be able to relate to that. I enjoyed watching "The Chef" a lot.

a great comedy a great performance by jean reno

Author: playtoyer from France
8 January 2013

this is a great movie,a great comedy with jean reno of top of is game,this movie has a little of everything to have a great time.the association between those 2 actors is one of the best ever,the story is very original and translated a lot of emotions,jean reno is the best actor in the world every scene with him is a delight he is so funny he is hilarious.this movie is perfect to have a great time,it,s deep and clever the should make more of those movies because they are simply great.this is a great french comedy take everybody can love and enjoy.jean reno is amazing is such a great actor and in this movie he is very funny

Best movie I have seen since long time

Author: asntha from AUSTRALIA
1 January 2013

Don't listen to some of these stupid critics.watch it your self and prove me wrong if you can.I Totally AGREED WITH THIS !! Of course, don't expect here a masterpiece or any attempt to make an original plot or anything like that : this is a mainstream production, and all we should expect from it, is just to be funny, well-done, and without bad taste ingredients. And so it is. A simple comedy, gentle, with a good rhythm, and nice characters. In fact, not only the main characters are good here, but everybody is, and the supporting actors here have their place, and contribute to our pleasure. Jean Reno and Michaël Youn compose a nice duet. There's not much that I can add. Except that even if everything was easily expect regarding the plot, what is never obvious to expect is that we'd have such a very good time.

not exactly three stars

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
8 March 2015

Did I already say that I love cooking and films about cooking? I probably did. For food lovers talking, reading, watching TV shows and - why not - seeing movies about food and the people behind food just amplifies the pleasure of enjoying good food and enriches the experience. We have been blessed with a few good movies on this topic, some older (who can forget Louis de Funes in L'Aille et la cuisse?) some recently like the American Chef with an almost identical title as the French comedy Le Chef.

We may of course expect a lot from a French film about 'haute cuisine' - the subject should be part of the national expertise after all. Director and script co-writer Daniel Cohen has taken the easy path with this lighthearted comedy about a famous chef (Jean Reno) who is obsessed with keeping his three Michelin stars intact and an unemployed aspirant (Michael Youn) trying to find his way in the world of high-end cooking. Everybody has a good time and especially Reno who abandons for a short while his tough guy mask and lets us know that he owns a carefully suppressed comic talent.

There is some serious background behind the light comedy which should not be omitted. Great chefs nowadays need to fight increased competition from street food and from the modern trends like 'molecular food' (which incidentally I hate as much as the folks who wrote the script of this film). Fighting kitsch or pretentious avant-garde artistic challenge that is not encountered only by artists in cooking but by many other fields. So are the crisis of creativity, the loss of inspiration, the need to change and do something else in certain turning points of lives and careers. None of these subjects are absent but none is explored to deeply either in 'Le Chef'. The result in culinary terms is a 'souffle' - light and pleasant when eaten but not leaving persistent memories after the consumption. I mentioned the American movie 'Chef' which also dealt with a famous cook in some crisis in his life and career turning to street food. Well, the food in the American 'Chef' may not have been as classy as the food in the French 'Le Chef' but the film that resulted was better.