IMDb > "Deadman Wonderland" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Deadman Wonderland" More at IMDbPro »

this show is awesome!

Author: joelherro from Australia
2 July 2011

but definitely not for kids, what with all the ultra-violence n stuff...

Ganta is a school kid wrongly accused of murdering everyone in his class, and he is convicted and sentenced to this hell-hole theme park style prison where the inmates have fiendish games and tests that usually kill lots of them...certain prisoners have a special power enabling them to make weapons out of their own blood, and the twisted warden who runs the joint fights these special prisoners called 'Deadmen' against each other for paying guests in an arena style death-match. Ganta is trying to find the real killer of his friends while also trying to stay alive in this nightmarish place...

with awesome animation, interesting characters and an engaging and twisted story, plus copious blood and gore, this show is a real winner...as long as u are not easily offended...

Can't believe they didn't made a season 2 for it.

Author: Asadullah Khan from Pakistan
4 January 2015

Action. Gore. Brutality. Fan service. Craziness. Abuses/curses. This anime is definitely aimed at a more adult audience. It starts off with a bang so I was interested in it from the get-go. We don't get any explanation about the world, the setting, the event etc in the start. Instead, we get bits here and there in almost each episodes, this increases your interest about finding out everything.

The protagonist is your usual clichéd kid who gets some kind of special power but doesn't know how to work it yet etc. I thought he would be yet another wimpy annoying brat, but thankfully he didn't go in that department far enough and he grew on me. Aside from him, there are TONS of other characters, many who are pretty good, my favourite being The Crow (Shinji), who also has his own OVA, which was great.

There is a lot of good action, cool looking powers and techniques and LOTS of gore. Plus, the anime thrives at displaying it in a brutal manner. The soundtrack was decent too, which helped elevate some key moments.

It's a crime that this anime was only 12 episodes long. They could have made it 24 episodes long and fleshed out the large character cast a lot because it just felt rushed in the later episodes. Also, it is sad to see there is no sequel for it since we don't really get to see a proper end of the story, many of the stuff is just laying around, begging for a sequel. I hate it when this happens.

Even though it doesn't end the story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for some gory action and interesting setting.

8.3/10

Horribly bad.

Author: reid296
25 September 2014

The preposterously stupid conviction in the first five minutes or so of this show completely put me off from watching the rest of the series. I only made it to the end of the first episode. How is ANYONE supposed to believe that this kid blew IN a window from INSIDE of the room, then butchered an entire classroom of 29 students and their teacher? Would none of the other students have opposed him? Any forensic investigation of the crime scene would have exonerated Ganta completely, but then we wouldn't have a show. No, obviously it was rigged and it was obvious that the creator of the series wanted us to see that. However, it's handling was so heavy handed and inept that it was offensive. If the people killed had been killed in a believable way, then MAYBE I'd have bothered watching the rest of the series. As it stands, I have no confidence in the creator's ability to put together any narrative that makes sense. Save yourself the head scratching and/or frustration and avoid this series.

Frustratingly Bad

Author: Durdur752 from United States
25 September 2014

Like seriously, the first episode is kind of a giveaway as to how stupid the characters are. They accuse this kid of slaughtering an entire classroom and then sentence him. On top of that, these people watch other prisoners die doing these games and no one thinks it's real?? I got as far as halfway through the tenth episode when the main kid is saved from a bomb (disguised as a computer chip) and everyone sees that it explodes. THEY ALL GET MAD BECAUSE NO ONE REALIZED IT WAS A BOMB...EVEN THOUGH THEY ALL SAW IT EXPLODE...HOW CAN THAT BE A THING. Then the guy who betrays them shows up and shouts out that he betrayed them???? COME ON. I can't stand to watch any more of this crap.

Great on the visuals, but lacking in originality.

Author: Brian McAfee
4 January 2016

Synopsis:

In the near future, Japan is rocked by a cataclysm which wipes out most of Tokyo. Afterward, some people manifest an ability to control their own blood and use it as a weapon. This can take the form of blades, nets, projectiles, etc. The different blood based powers are called Branch of Sin.

The story centers on Ganta, a student who is about to go on a class field trip to Deadman Wonderland, a prison/theme park which funds itself by putting the prisoners through deadly sporting events for the enjoyment of the paying public.

Unfortunately, before the class can go on the trip, a mysterious, super powerful, 'Red Man' kills everyone in Ganta's class, except him. The Red Man also gives Ganta a red crystal in his chest which gives him the power to manipulate his own blood as a weapon. Since Ganta didn't die in the attack, he is immediately prosecuted as the obvious perpetrator. His lawyer is also the guy who runs the prison, so definitely no conflicts of interest here. Ganta soon finds himself as an inmate at the prison. He quickly learns how prisoners are kept under control. They wear collars which inject poison, which will kill them unless they regularly eat nasty tasting candy. The candy must be earned, and so the prisoners do what they are told.

In his quest to discover who the Red Man is, and who framed him for the murders, Ganta discovers a secret area of the prison, G Block, where others with the same blood based powers are kept and forced to fight gladiator style battles in a giant birdcage. There is also an albino girl who can kick giant robots and jump out of tall buildings and land on angry dogs.

Let's break it down:

Animation: 8 The use of color is done quite well. In the prison, many of the other colors are washed out, or subdued, in order to bring out the color red. It also adds a kind of depressed feel to the prison. Additionally, the opening credits are entirely in red, black and white. Fight scenes are well choreographed, and the blood effects are well done. The character designs will immediately remind you of Eureka Seven. This is because the manga for both Deadman and Eureka were illustrated by Kazuma Kondou.

Sound: 7.0 The music was appropriate for the feel of the show. The opening and closing songs were the highlight of the show. The opening song, "One Reason," is a high energy rock piece, with an almost grunge sound to it, which fit well with the feel of the show. The end credit song, "Shiny Shiny," is the best in the show, and doesn't fit at all with the feel of the series, but it plays over pictures of the characters before they came to Deadman Wonderland, and has an appropriate retrospective/nostalgic feel to it. The voice acting in the dub is done by many familiar names. Ganta is voiced by Greg Ayres, the warden Makina is Colleen Clinkinbeard, and Shiro (Ganta's albino girlfriend) is Monica Rial. All the voices are well done, although Ganta's constant whining is a bit hard to take. Rial is really the highlight here. The youthful and innocent voice she lends to Shiro is at times adorable, and at others comedic, and it's exactly what is needed to balance the seriousness of the rest of the show. It's no exaggeration to say Monica Rial steals the show. I have read other reviews which had a negative reaction to Kana Hanazawa's (normally critically acclaimed) voice for Shiro. She sounds good to me, but I have to admit she comes across a bit normal (if not serious), where Shiro should really sound quirky, which is why Rial gets so much praise for her version.

Story: 6.5 A disastrous cataclysm happens in Tokyo, destroying much of the city and leaving behind people with unprecedented powers, like in Witchblade, or Akira. And they are kept in a prison, where they compete in deadly games as part of their sentence, like in The Running Man, or Deathrace. Unfortunately, the basic premise lacks a bit of originality. Also, he show stops, not ends, abruptly, without any conclusion, because the series only covers about half of the story laid out in the manga.

Characters: 6.0 They do take the time to give backgrounds to most of the characters in the show, but unfortunately, I never really got too attached to any of them. The real exception here is Shiro. Without her, the series would be fairly forgettable, but her innocence and cuteness effectively create a counterbalance to the ultra-violence of the series, and the mystery of who and what she is keeps you interested.

Overall: 6.9 Unfortunately, the show tries really hard to be dark with the death games, gladiator combat, and the penalty phase where a slot machine decides which body part the losers will have cut off. I don't mind violent anime, but this was a little over the top. Why would the security robots spew acid? Couldn't they just shoot, electrocute, or laser the inmates? I guess because acid is more gruesome, and that's what the show is going for. The language was a bit of a shock too. I have never heard so many F-bombs dropped in an anime before. But hey, if that's what you are looking for, then this is your anime. I think I would have liked it a lot more if it had answered its own questions, but unfortunately, we are left with a story with no ending. Still, it has a good side too, so if you aren't turned off by the above, watch it for the fight scenes, the animation, and most of all, for Shiro!

One of my first seinen anime and one of my favorites

Author: erickjavier09 from Puerto Rico
21 December 2014

This anime is one of the best action anime in recent years, certainly not for kids because of the graphic violence but it's very good.

It has a very dark tone and even the characters you will like the have a dark side to them. The story is very good with great plot twists and with characters developed in very realistic ways.

There is only one fatal flaw that stops me from giving this a 10 and that is the fact that it is incomplete, what I mean by that is that the show ended in a cliffhanger and it was canceled after that, if you liked this,go read the manga with the complete story.It is certainly not for the squeamish and outside of the violence, contains some mature content, but it is strongly recommended for anyone who can handle it.

It's a decent anime

Author: RecapAnime from United States
24 September 2014

Deadman Wonderland is a anime that some might find a bit to dark and probably offensive in some ways. But this anime is really good for what its worth. I really liked the idea behind the story right from the beginning and the show did not hold back when developing the plot. What gives this anime bonus points is the violence. From a class room slaughter to decapitation, when push comes to shove this anime doesn't hold back. Also the characters are perfect in this anime and I personally thought the dubbed actors/actresses were excellent.

One problem I had is that the anime didn't feel like it was finished, the so called ending was good but so many questions were left unanswered and apparently this anime didn't do to good in Japan so its most likely this anime will end up being like "Highschool of the Dead". In other words not getting a second season.

Starts out great, but ends up failing miserably towards the end

Author: Ben Davis from United States
27 January 2015

This show blew its chances at being named among the greats in anime. The end (and a lot leading up to it) kind of ruined it. It started out so well too. It's a about this kid named Ganta Igarashi, who one day at school sees his entire class slaughtered by this "Red Man" as Ganta dubs him. This Red Man, for whatever reason, leaves him alive and gives him superpowers that allow him to use his blood as a weapon. Ganta actually is blamed for this crime, found guilty, and is sent to Deadman Wonderland, a place where the send criminals to participate in all sorts of fight to death games for the amusement of the general public. Okay, this sounds amazing right? And it was…. until other stuff happened, but I'll get there later. Watching Ganta try to fight and survive is quite cool and entertaining and I really wish they would have stuck with him having to fight and eventually become a real badass and have him take on the Red Man at the end. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and we got…. what we got. Before I start ranting about this shows problems, I'll finish the positives about it. The animation is fantastic. All the fight scenes look incredible and everything else is all shiny and polished, which is always a plus. Last positive is the character of Shiro. Shiro is absolutely, without a doubt the best part of this show. She is funny, adorable, cute, badass, and provides a much needed relief from Ganta's… lets call it whining. Now with the bad, and believe me, there is a lot. Like I said before, the show doesn't stick with the whole Ganta struggling to survive aspect. It begins to veer into a kind of fight the power storyline, and it didn't really work in my opinion. Ganta meets these rebels in the prison, and they all try escape and yeah it goes from there. All this storyline did was 1) limit Ganta's abillity to become a more powerful badass and 2) brought on a ridiculous amount of pointless secondary characters with no development whatsoever. Ganta as a character is also a bad aspect of the show. Like I said before, he never really grows as a character or in physical strength, leaving him to be quite bland and uninteresting. Now both of those things aren't enough for me dislike a show as much as I disliked this one. Hell, Sword Art Online had both of these issues and I could watch that without a TON of cringing. No, no, no, no Deadman Wonderland had another, more terrible issue. It had possibly the worst ending to any movie/TV show that I have ever seen. The end literally happens with Shiro and Ganta sitting on a roof. That is it. Answer the many, many, MANY questions the viewer may have had? Nonsense. Why would that be a good idea? You know, it's not like people watch the show to find out what happens. That would be stupid. Seriously though, it answers literally none of the questions it proposes. In fact, the end leaves you with more questions than before! After the credits rolled, I stared open mouthed at the screen, seriously thinking there had to be more. I couldn't understand how incompetent you would have to be to say "yeah, that was a perfect ending" and then actually put it in the show. Alas, the end we got is true (unless you count the manga, which I don't) and I have never been so disappointed in my life. I think this show would have fared much better from 25 or 26 episodes, not 13. The beginning of the show feels like they planned for 25, 26, but once they found out they were only getting 13 they rushed and tried to cram too much into too little. Unfortunately, Deadman Wonderland will go down in history as the show that could have been. Sigh.

A thrilling yet aimless adventure

Author: bmoore07
9 April 2015

It was an ordinary day. For average schoolboy Ganta Igarashi, a run-of-the-mill day changed his life forever. A mysterious being in red invaded Ganta's school and, with a single stroke, butchered every one of Ganta's classmates, except him. Framed for a horrific crime he didn't commit, despised by the people in his community, Ganta is assigned to spend the rest of his life in the most chaotic insane asylum ever known. That is how Deadman Wonderland begins and Ganta Igarashi, this anime's protagonist, is developed as a character with an incredibly irritating voice that cries, complains, and cowers with a passion (I'm obviously not a huge Ganta fan). Accompanying Ganta in the asylum is Shiro, an unnaturally naïve albino girl dressed in white that serves as the always-positive, shining symbol of hope in the dark and depressing dungeon known as Deadman Wonderland. In the first episode, Ganta unknowingly uses his newfound ability (known as "Branch of Sin"), the power to transform his blood into a weapon, and he promises to murder the being that obliterated his friends, the being Ganta dubbed the "Redman".

The opening for Deadman Wonderland is one I think is mediocre, but it epitomizes the disturbing randomness of the show. The music that's presented in Deadman Wonderland is good-but-not-great (It ain't Cowboy Bebop by a long shot), just as unsatisfying as the opening, except for that beautiful piano piece that plays in climatic scenes. This anime, as a whole, is one I assumed was average (like the opening and the music), an interesting but subpar series, until I witnessed the fifth episode. Episode 5 was the moment where Ganta temporarily resigned from his incessant whining, the battle between Ganta the inexperienced rookie and Senji the hardened veteran, the definition of what this anime was about up to that point, and the heartwarming triumph of an underdog with a ton of spirit. It is after Episode 6 that Deadman Wonderland changes, from focusing on "I Will Survive" to "Fight the Power", from consistently intense to sporadically passionate, from above-average to simply average.

Besides the amazing animation, one of the few consistently great aspects of Deadman Wonderland is the characters. There's Makina, the sadistic and cold-hearted enforcer of the asylum who has a disturbing relationship with her glasses-wearing subordinate Kyoko, and who acts (and sounds) exactly like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's General Armstrong. There's Genkaku, the main antagonist, an easygoing serial killer with a toothpick in his mouth, a lethal guitar in his hand, and an exceptionally disturbing past in an anime filled with them. Throughout Deadman Wonderland, I've tried to find a favorite character. First, there was Tamaki, a businessman with an obsession for toys (He was quickly revealed as a despicable jerk). Then, there was Yoh, a laid-back pickpocket who knows too much (He disappeared around episode 8). I briefly considered Senji (The man is amazing!) before settling on Nagi, the tormented rebel leader with powers similar to Ganta's, an unforgettable man who was tragically killed. I don't like Deadman Wonderland's plot at all, but the characters are different.

I really wanted to enjoy Deadman Wonderland. I thought it had an Attack on Titan-like feel to it (mostly because of Ganta biting his thumb), but that Deadman was better than AOT. It's not. Sure, Attack on Titan left the audience with unanswered questions, but nowhere near as many as this series. Who is the old man that is said to be Tamaki's father and was seen sparring with Shiro in the dark? Why can't Shiro leave the asylum? What did Toto do to make him (her?) the most feared inmate? What caused the earthquake ten years ago? What is Shiro hiding (There was one scene where Shiro dons the Redman costume with a frightening grin)? I think these questions would've been answered if this anime wasn't 12 freakin' episodes long. On Amazon.com, I typed in this anime's name and discovered it was "Deadman Wonderland: The Complete Series". It sure doesn't feel complete.

My Thoughts on the Show...

Author: boothrya
26 February 2015

Okay, so to start off, this show is extremely dark. I don't think I've ever seen a piece of cinema/film that handles topics of such maturity and extremity. Having said that, the darkness is what makes this show so great. Because of the unforgiving brutality, Deadman Wonderland seems almost realistic, and allows for you to connect to the characters and the storyline, so much more than a toned down, TV-14 version would. If you are AT ALL unsure if you're prepared to see this show, I would recommend reading the Parental Advisory, as it will detail the most brutal parts. Beware though, the Advisory might also contain spoilers.

One of the reasons that I couldn't give this show a higher rating is the main character, Ganta. He has little to no character development, and all of his "dramatic" scenes are of him complaining and whining about how weak he is. This continues literally up until the 11th Episode, when he finally begins to train and hone his abilities. If his character had sooner developed a "tough" persona that played off of Deadman Wonderland, it would have made the show a lot better. As is, Ganta drags the fast-paced story down and lost my interest as a viewer very quickly.

OVERALL, I would say that this is a great anime to watch. I recommend it with a warning; that you be prepared to have your boundaries stretched. The intensity of the show was at a level I had not previously experienced, but I still very much enjoyed it. If you're able to look past the violence and see those scenes as contributory to the realistic feel and contributory to the EXPERIENCE of Deadman Wonderland, it will push your experience to one that you won't forget for a long time...