IMDb > The Dinosaur Project (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great Movie

Author: Kikabom Dabom from United States
8 September 2012

The movie has a very fun story to it, which leaves a lot of space for action and playing around with.

Yes, some of the acting was cheesy, some of the story was cheesy, but all in all the story was very entertaining.

I think they should have dropped the POV style of filming, because as a normal movie it would be great.

Fun shots, lots of action, and a cool story.

There are also very original takes on the whole dinosaur-man connection which I haven't seen in any other movie.

CGI was really well done, which is pretty rare in movies that seem low budget.

I think for some reason people are just hating on the movie for no good reason (there is no reason why this movie deserves 1 star...)

The ending leaves lots of space for a sequel, and I cant wait to see it.

Fans of anything dinosaur-related should definitely check this one out!

Author: gorguruga from London
13 September 2012

Don't let the strangely low rating on IMDb fool you folks. This movie is an entertaining mixture of a dinosaur movie and a "found footage" film. If you liked Jurassic Park and Paranormal Activity then I think you'll enjoy this movie, it's got elements of both intertwined within.

However, don't make the mistake of believing that it's trying to copy either of those movies, it stands out on it's own and is quite unique in many respects. It's highly advisable to not watch The Dinosaur Project with the expectation of seeing Jurassic Park 4, you'll almost certainly be disappointed. Instead, view it as a different twist on the whole dinosaur theme.

It's got moments of humor, moments of horror and 5 different species of satisfying CGI dinosaurs (a few more species would have been nice). There are quite a few great dinosaur shots, including one scene where a dinosaur is filmed from first person perspective while swimming with it's siblings, which I thought was very well done. There are scenes with flying dinosaurs, swimming dinosaurs and land-based dinosaurs, so there's quite a mix of dinosaur material incorporated.

The acting is about average for today's standards, there's a mix of good moments and not so good moments, it's really nowhere near as bad as one of the other reviewers has mentioned, all the actors did an adequate job. I've seen a lot of big budget Hollywood movies with acting that was far, far inferior to this. None of the actors deserve awards for their performances but they all (story-permitting) deserve to be rehired for the sequel.

And one thing to mention is the camera work, I thought it was filmed exceptionally well with some very inventive usage of the first-person perspective, nicely mixed with third-person shots. I was actually hugely impressed at how well it was filmed for the constraints that a "found footage" film puts on the director. From a technical point of view, it's probably one of the best examples of the genre in my opinion. I'm not really a fan of "found footage" film as such, but this movie is a brilliant example of how to use it effectively. And there are a number of people with cameras in the movie, so we get to see different camera angles too.

By no means is it perfect though, there are moments in the movie which are implausible and the scripting could have been improved in places. But I could say the same for a lot of movies I've seen, and many of them are, again, big budget Hollywood blockbusters. This movie isn't trying to teach you about dinosaurs, it's not scientifically precise, it's not trying to emulate the epic nature of the Jurassic Park franchise. All it's trying to do is entertain you, in a sort of pop-corn flick fashion. At the same time however, it's unique, absorbing and well-directed.

With a somewhat open-ending, I'd definitely be interested in watching part 2 if it ever gets produced. Remember, it's not Jurassic Park, it's a different spin on the dinosaur theme but with understandably similar consequences of human and dinosaur coexistence.

If you're a fan of anything dinosaur-related then this is a movie you don't want to miss. Just go into it with low expectations (like I did after seeing the low IMDb score) and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. I give this one a 6.5.

Really, Whats with the hate for?

Author: Abdallah Es-Haq from Tanzania
23 October 2012

This movie really had me smiling at the end of it. And thats a good thing, really i could take this over the more recent king Kong any day of the week, this film does not even try to compete with a heavyweight masterpiece like jurasic park and as a result stands up on its own merits.

Forget about the biased cheap scores the review sites have given this film, forget that this film has a cast of relatively unknown cast members, forget that this film isn't scientifically realistic, Just go and watch with an open mind.

Its just so ambitious yet also so modest, one of the few pleasant surprises this year.

Not Bad

Author: noosence from Canada
7 September 2012

"The Dinosaur Project" ...........

Putting all the bad reviews aside i decided to take the time to watch this film and i actually found it pretty good. The story was interesting, the acting was good, the direction and camera work(for "found footage") were all fine. I'm not sure why everyone dislikes it so much but People who enjoy Watching the "Found Footage" Genre will definitely find this one entertaining. It reminded me of "Troll Hunter" (2010) and "The Tunnel"(2011) meets "jurassic park 3". All in all this is a pretty good effort, If you want to pick holes, check out the latest Hollywood blockbuster at you local cinema, even then you get crap movies sometimes.

Predictable and Lame Lost World

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 July 2013

A British expedition formed by the lead researcher Jonathan Marchant (Richard Dillane), his assistant, a doctor and a TV crew, travels to Congo to seek evidence of a dinosaur. A local guide and the helicopter pilot join the team and the group heads to the jungle. During their trip, they find a stowaway in the helicopter, the son of Jonathan. Soon the helicopter is attacked by flying creatures and crashes in the jungle in the beginning of the last journey of Jonathan Marchant and his team.

"The Dinosaur Project" is a predictable and lame dinosaur movie, a combination of the clichés of "The Lost World" with the exhausted style of the "reality" of "The Blair Witch Project". It is amazing that the viewer can predict what is going to happen on the next scene, and most of the dialogs are ridiculous. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Projeto Dinossauro" ("Dinosaur Project")

Much better than the current low score(!), if you like Dinosaurs check this movie out!

Author: bcbell79
8 January 2013

A surprisingly fun "found footage" film, "The Dinosaur Project" is great for dinosaur junkies, or anyone that can handle the POV experience. Much better than than some of the super low rated reviews I've read, I was glad I ignored the bad ratings and rented (VOD) it anyway. Although it's no where near the scale (or budget) of Jurassic Park, it's a well made and good looking low budget dino flick.

A group of archeologists, complete with TV film crew, all decked with Go Pro's (mini HD video camera's that you wear to record your POV-many extreme sports athletes are using them now) head into the jungles of South Africa to find Africa's equivalent of the Loch Ness monster. Of course, on the flight into the jungle some pre-historic birds fly into the blades of there helicopter and the team crash lands in the middle of the jungle (right where the sitings have been, luckily). The surviving team must now navigate through the harsh jungle, and prove whether or not there are still dinosaurs hidden in the jungle that locals swear are there...

The dinosaurs look great, surprisingly since it was a low budget indie film. The acting is, for the most part, good and believable. The story was entertaining, but I felt it got a little absurd in the last act (but its a movie with dinosaurs in the jungle so it gets a pass). It is Unrated but is an easy PG-13, so you can watch it with the kids on family night.

The Dinosaur Project is a great rental with good looking dinosaurs and an absurd but fun last act, so check this film out on your next family movie night!

My Review Of "The Dinosaur Project"

Author: ASouthernHorrorFan from United States
12 December 2012

"The Dinosaur Project" is a strange blend of found footage and science fiction that takes Jules Verne into the realm of nightmare. It is a more intense film than I was expecting with an slight atmosphere of hopelessness polluting the air of adventure. The film is directed by Sid Bennett and follows a group of scientist on a quest to search for the mysterious prehistoric creatures said to be terrorizing the locals deep in the jungle of central Africa. It is a tragic story that plays out through video recordings of the journey that is orchestrated by the lead scientist's stowaway son who has his mind set to record the journey to discovery. This movie manages to be refreshing, dark and thrilling. It stars Natasha Loring, Richard Dillane, Matt Kane and Peter Brooke.

The film keeps a constant feeling of watching tragedy unfold scene by scene as camera roulettes between camcorder and digital clips thanks to the various small wireless camera's the young boy brings with him. This film doesn't give you a moment to be bored with the usual camera tricks that are common with found footage film due to the intense action and total fatality of the characters story lines. The movie feels like a complete misadventure that is believable. I almost forgot the this was a fictional account due to the back and forth between choppy footage and hand held camcorder style the movie uses. The dinosaurs in this film are vicious, unnatural predators that bring the nightmare home and yet there are small moments when the story shows a playful excitement of new discovery of a species thought to be extinct for millions of years. This isn't a fun carefree film like Jurassic Park but it isn't suppose to be that kind of film. "The Dinosaur Project" is a pleasant surprise as far as being intense and chilling. This movie was an intense little story that was entertaining and pretty dark. A very cool dinosaur picture.

I don't know how anyone can dislike this film

Author: chuckm76 from United Kingdom
30 September 2012

Let me start by saying that this isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it's a long long way from being anywhere near the worst. I was really expecting a pile of trash, the kind of SYFY nonsense that seems to be everywhere these days but it's really not.

Great story, great twists, more than adequate effects (I'd say better than Dr Who for example) and a really good open ending. Sure I could pick a holes in it, the acting was a bit hit and miss, it wasn't always so well paced and maybe the whole concept is a bit far fetched but the main thing is that it's just really enjoyable, good old fashioned fun that made me feel 12 again. In fact I'd have adored this film when I was a 12 I'm sure.

It reminded me of Jurassic Park 3 but it gets more into the heart of the subject minus the huge horror Scares

I really want to rate it higher but that would only be because it made me feel like a kid again, I think 6 would be fair but I'll keep it at 5.

To the morons who were expecting Jurassic Park and rated it 1, you are doing this film a massive disservice.

Pretty surprised by all the negative reviews...

Author: Alex Burke-Honey from United Kingdom
22 September 2012

After reading the negative reviews online I decided to give this film a go anyway after my plans for the weekend were cancelled... And what a surprise it was after expecting another Syfy B movie type film, although not exactly mind-blowing the CGI dinosaurs were fairly convincing if not impressive! And while I've seen better acting out there Kane's performance although rusty at times played out well especially in the "alone with the camera" scenes. I found the story rather silly at times but once I looked past the Sci-Fi genre and looked at the story from a more fantasy perspective I found myself enjoying the movie throughout. This movie has definitely earned my respect and although some scenes failed to live up its' title of "The best dino movie since Jurassic Park" I look forward to watching this title again along with my dino-enthusiast friend. Nice one!

More script, kick the bad guy, turn it into a TV series and it'll be very good.

Author: cablooie from United Kingdom
27 September 2012

Not bad, better than I had expected honestly.

I will give it a 6.

3 points for interesting use of the found footage format crossbred with actual cut,

2 points for decent dinosaurs (not jaw-dropping, decent),

4 points for awesome location,

2 points for credible acting (except for the effin bad guy).

-3 for the effin bad guy acting and hackneyed, fruitless idea of a pointless, mindless serial killer. This was an effective (so far) dinosaur adventure, not a serial killer based horror flick.

-2 for repeated Blair-Witch-style stereotyped nonsensical inflationed closeups of the kid shooting footage of his own nose while supposedly for the first time in the entire history of mankind you have live dinosaurs and a camera to win the damn Pulitzer. Let's take the damn dinosaurs, will ya? Nobody gives a heck about your freakin nose.

Anyway, entertaining to a decent degree and all in all worth a go.

It would be a good TV series, once you file off the silly Freddy Krueger type moron and bitch slap the kid every time he overdoes with closeups of his own chin.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]