IMDb > Journey of the Universe (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Journey of the Universe

Journey of the Universe More at IMDbPro »

challenges one to think and engenders awe

Author: demaria-richard6 from South Africa
25 July 2012

Journey of the Universe is worth every minute one spends watching it. In fact, one can't just watch it; it challenges you to imagine, to think. If there is any criticism, it is that it is too rich with ideas for a film approximately one hour long. It presents so many ways, hermeneutics, of viewing the history of the universe that a single viewing was not sufficient. Fortunately, the invitation to learn and think did not detract from the over-all feeling of humility, awe and love that the film engendered in this viewer. The final question put to us by Brian Swimme remains long after the film ends: knowing what we know now, how can we use the energies of the universe within us to recreate the face of the earth.

Winner of a 2012 Regional Emmy for Best Documentary.

Author: Slapshotnyc from United States
12 July 2012

A film of rare beauty and eloquence illuminating the sheer wonder of our existence, Journey of the Universe transports the viewer from the moment of the Big Bang through our own evolving planetary dance of life and ecosystem. Through beautiful location shots, stunning cinematography, and sophisticated graphics and effects one is left with the very real sense of our fragility as a species, and our delicate relationship with our planet. The most up-to-date scientific findings are presented in molecular biology, astrophysics and other areas to propose that we are blessed by our existence here and should with pious and humble respect accept our obligation to protect the delicate balance of life on our planet. One comes away with a realization that for us to exist here as we do required an infinite number of precise coincidences, more than possible by mere chance. Journey of the Universe fills one with the wonder that is life.

Excellent in imagery and language, Journey of the Universe (2011) inspires young and old alike.

Author: Gayle Engle from United States
14 August 2012

This film is excellent. Finally, a work to honor science,earth, art and humanity in a spectacular array of visual imagery and imaginative language to inspire all ages. Academic and entertaining, historic and contemporary, our journey is described and detailed in a beautiful series of images and words to inform and delight. I watched this film with my five year old granddaughter, Anneliese, and we both loved the story from beginning to end. Whether you know a lot about the universe, or just enjoy looking at the stars in wonder, this film will inspire you to seek more, look more and want to understand more about our earth, our solar system, and the universe unfolding.

A Singular Film

Author: Imogene Drummond from United States
25 July 2012

Journey of the Universe is a singular film about the mysterious beauty and interconnectedness of the universe. It is exquisite, important and mind-expanding! I've seen this stunning film—about cosmic, earth and human transformation—three times thus far. Each time I learn something previously unknown to me, and am uplifted anew. The richness of material corresponds well with the stunning photography. The intense amount of information for such an expansive subject allows for, and invites, repeated viewings—and investigating the subject matter more deeply. Ultimately, this extraordinary film informs, uplifts and inspires me to live more deeply in relationship with the cosmos.

Awe-Inspiring Film!

Author: donsmith1957 from Canada
25 July 2012

Journey of the Universe is a truly wonderful film which everyone should see! It introduces viewers to the deep theological and philosophical questions regarding the role of humanity within our current scientifically-based understanding of evolutionary cosmology.

This sounds "heavy" but in a light-handed way, host Brian Swimme guides the audience through some of the most profound themes and questions while spending a single day on the Greek island of Samos (home of Pythagoras).

Where do we come from? How did evolution result in humanity's rise to planetary dominance and exploitation? How are we connected to Earth and Universe? What is the way forward for the human species? All these questions are raised without giving dogmatic answers and engaging the viewers to think for themselves about the issues raised.

All this in a 56 minute documentary - brilliant! I'd give this an 11 out of 10 if I could. Highly recommended!

The ultimate story

Author: Paul deBary from United States
25 July 2012

This is at once a story of the universe and of our efforts to understand it. Any attempt to document the story of the universe is of course ambitious, but the usual motivation of those attempting it has been to create exclusionary myths, whether of religion or science. What is rare about this film is that the creators have been able to tell the story from many different perspectives in a seamless and coherent way, using them to enhance our understanding, but also our appreciation of what we don't understand. The story of what we have learned about the universe is our ultimate story, one of extraordinary achievements and wondrous potential. The producers have created a compelling visual and oral narrative. This is a unique achievement as much for its extraordinary imagery as for its compelling content.

A Journey Worthy of Awe

Author: Richard Ohlrogge from New Hampshire, United States
25 July 2012

The insights offered in this all to brief one-hour documentary provides an historical and a scientific perspective in language easily grasped by anyone. It tells a story that based on the writings of scholars over the past 2 decades will have a major impact on how a global humanity needs to evolve over the next century. The simple idea that we are made of 'star- stuff' alone should speak powerfully to that internal desire to be connected to something larger than ourselves that exists within every conscious human being. Why are we here? How did we get here? This documentary provides an awareness that should help answer these questions. It also creates a framework within which to expand the meaning of our existence.

Mind Expanding

Author: ktruman773 from Portland, Oregon
25 July 2012

I had the privilege to view this film in a small theater on Whidbey Island, near Seattle. I made the journey, including a trip by ferry boat, to view the film, to meet Mary Evelyn Tucker and Brian Swimme, and engage in a seminar at the Whidbey Institute in the Teilhard de Chardin Hall. In these times of religious conservatives challenging the science of the 14 billion year old story of creation, it is important to have a film like this that sets the story of our evolution so beautifully and poetically. Brian Swimme takes us on a journey that tells our story from the Big Bang to current day while making a 24 hour journey through the Greek village of Samos, home of mathematician Pythagoras. Swimme is a scientist/theologian/poet who weaves the disciplines of science and the humanities into the seamless garment they must be if we are to stop the environmental destruction that is occurring and come together to solve the big issues of ecology, morality, and spirituality. Watch this film, and experience the grandeur and the humility of knowing your place in the universe story and what you must do to stop being the problem and start becoming the solution.

The story that has the power to change our world

Author: cpierson-432-541089 from New Zealand
25 July 2012

Who are we as humans here in Earth? How did we get to be here? What is our relationship to everything else? What implications does this have for future generations? These are questions human beings have asked since we first came to conscious awareness of ourselves. This film is an opportunity to think again about these questions in the light of current science, to reflect on where we stand in relation to this information. To understand it is to enter into the realisation of the implications for each one of us and to be filled with awe, a new sense of being.Complex ideas are presented in ways that can be understood without a background in science, the scenery is breathtaking and every minute of the film is packed with significance.

There's hope

Author: anne roberts from United States
5 August 2012

To say that this film delivers amazing news doesn't capture the half of it. This timely film tells the newest scientific story of the universe in a way that allows us to begin to understand the ever changing world we live in. It beckons us to listen and to look, all the while inviting us to interact with all elements in a new and vibrant way. Indeed, it inspires us to think about the healthy future of the planet as something that depends on our decisions now. The script, written by Brian Swimme and Mary Evelyn Tucker, is filled with so many ah-ha moments and is masterfully delivered by Swimme. This is a film to be viewed by more than the science community or cosmology experts, it is a wide reaching film perfectly suited for you and me. It takes watching it two (to twenty) times, first to ingest the sheer volume of information; the rest to sink into its awe!