IMDb > "Death in Paradise" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Death in Paradise"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Death in Paradise" More at IMDbPro »

Brilliant!

Author: Emily Shirley (emily-583) from Hamburg, Germany
16 November 2011

British TV viewers have been spoiled with great detective shows over the past decades. Bergerac, Inspector Morse and Frost have trained us to expect quirky, interesting shows with characters who become part of British culture. It's early days yet, but I think that 'Death in Paradise' has the chance to join them.

Backed by Danny John-Jules, Sara Martins and Gary Carr, Ben Miller brings the quintessentially quirky detective to life in this brilliant show. A fish out of water, DI Richard Poole must handle the transition from safe, temperate London to the bright colours of a small French Caribbean island, St. Marie, and bring the essence of British policing to its very un-British environment.

The show's funny, interesting and very addictive. The writing is great and the acting just perfect. Carr and John-Jules bring the underdog policeman to life in the time-honoured way (complaining whilst showing just how much more they know than their boss believes) and Miller plays the lost Brit abroad perfectly whilst adding that touch of off the wall brilliance that a British detective is meant to bring to a show. Martins adds a sparkling performance as his sidekick with a wonderfully wry view of the British policeman's inability to adapt to the island's lovely lifestyle.

This show's one to watch and one I hope will carry on in this vein. If it does, we'll see it treated with the same respect as the big names in British detective shows.

Easily 8/10 stars.

An exceptional programme, Needs a second series!!!!

Author: Richard Alan Clarke from Warrington, England
27 December 2011

Death in Paradise is very easy to watch, even if you despise the old fashioned workings of the likes of Miss Marple and Poiroit you can grow to love this murder mystery.

Set in more sunnier climbs than your usual crime drama, the quirky Caribbean police force combined with some brilliant acting from Ben Miller (The hapless, yet genius detective)this has all the recipe for a fun loving watch that isn't as dark and dreary as other such shows allowing for the thrill of the chase as the team track down the evidence in their ramshackle police hut and jungle 4x4 (not as classy as your usual detective company car)

All in all a brilliant series that is brimming with rich and colourful characters and story lines that captivate the imagination as this somewhat old genre is taken to new territory. Whether you watch one episode in a bit of spare time or you decide to emerse yourself with all 8 episodes, Death in Paradise does not disappoint and hopefully will return for a second series with even more Carribbean Crime!

Great Characters

Author: renegadewriter008 from Canada
23 December 2011

The brits never seem to get tired of their sherlock holmes stories but I guess we Americans like our Inspectors with lots of Gadgets...Anyways, I only watched this show because one of the reviewers on here said that the lead character was a classic in the making. I have to agree with that. What makes this show interesting is the characters. With a title like "Death In Paradise" it sounds like a dark drama but it's really quite light and very enjoyable watching the typical stiff arrogant brit making his way a round a crime scene in Saint Marie island while also looking for afternoon tea and biscuits in the noon hour. This show has huge potential. I like it a lot

Simple Murder Mystery Pleasure

Author: Charlie Moss from South Africa
1 December 2011

So many TV shows try to make "guessing" the murderer nearly impossible. They add irrelevant sub-plots, secrets that are only revealed at the end and over complicated characters that cause confusion. I've just watched episode 6 and I guessed the murderer straight away. But do you think this took away any of the enjoyment of this excellent murder mystery? not in the slightest. The characters are witty & charming and every episode draws one closer to each off the personalities. I eagerly await every new episode. I'm a Brit living in Cape Town, which I consider to be paradise, but one can't help but fall in love with this quirky little Caribbean island.

Great series!

Author: hmflashgordon from Canada
3 May 2013

This series is an absolute winner. It was created with flair, humour and suspense. The actors were well chosen and truly work well together. I just love watching each episode and with my PVR able to watch them over and over again. This is one series that must be and should be continued. Each show is well photographed, acted and well written. This is truly a top rated show and I really hope it will continue. It is such a relief to be able to watch a series that is both entertaining and interesting. The tropical setting adds a totally different aspect and is well integrated. Very well done. Whoever thought this one up should be proud of their effort. Let's keep this one going. As usual another British show is first class and puts the USA and Canadian programmes out in the cold. Keep up the good work folks!

Perfect--No More

Author: pensman from United States
22 January 2012

DI Richard Poole, Ben Miller, finds himself unwilling transferred to an island in the Caribbean that has a very French flare. Initially he is sent to investigate the murder of a colleague but his success brings him complications: what was to be a one off becomes a permanent mission. The lush surroundings and assistance by Camile Borday, Sara Martins, an undercover officer who now finds herself playing Watson to Pool's Holmes add to the fun. The writing is sharp and the supporting characters are excellent. But will DI Poole who retains his London suits and longs for a decent cuppa ever find contentment on what for anyone else would be the assignment of a lifetime. Don't bet on it.

Unfortunately this series has gone off as Ben Miller has exited and Kris Marshall has replaced him as DI Humphrey Goodman. The chemistry between Miller and the supporting cast was brilliant. Miller's uptight DI Richard Poole was perfect as the fish out of water (or in water) who was determined to preserve his British props at all cost: wear a suit regardless of weather or situation and eschew all in favor of tea and all things British. Marshall's Goodman is a sort of mock British beach boy who is completely at home in an over sized beach shirt and "grooving" on the local life style. As a result the chemistry among the cast has gone completely awry and the show has lost all of its charm.

A breath of fresh air

Author: yerlo from United States
3 June 2013

Totally delightful. Very clean so far which is refreshing. I don't have to worry about who watches it, or be embarrassed. My hubby and I are veteran mystery fans in all genres. We seldom guess the ending or the twists along the way. Clever plots. Accents do take a little getting used to and I sometimes just don't catch what they say. And like most productions these days, the ambient noise blurs the dialog a bit--wish all films would just quit doing that. Lead man, DI Poole, is a great character--combines a little of Miss Marple and Poirot. Sara Martins is exotically gorgeous and a good character. Sometimes it starts to slide towards cheesiness but usually stops short so keeps the show from becoming slapstick. Goofy characters make me switch channels and this show doesn't have one. Have now got other family hooked on it. I hope it has a long run.

It's light hearted and laid back

Author: jonnithomas from London
3 April 2013

well the stereotypes are pleasant and the program is very easy to watch.

it's set in a lovely part of the world and the characters are well played.

there's nothing taxing about this program but it's a very pleasant hour with your feet up watching TV.

the Englishman abroad that hates the sun and misses the rain is such a stuffed shirt role and it should be irritating as it is such an unrealistic stereotype but somehow all the characters work well together and it just works.

it's like your comfortable slippers and the cardigan with a hole in it that you just can't throw away.

Bloody excellent

Author: sentosasam from Australia
14 February 2013

As an Aussie I obviously lean towards British titles when it comes to favoritism. Death in Paradise is no exception. I love it. The characters are great (particularly DI Richard Poole, played by Ben Miller), he is exemplary.

But what really sets the show apart is its mood and setting. It seems to maintain all the murder and intrigue without going down a dark path. Which, come to think of it, would undoubtedly be difficult considering its set on an island in the Caribbean. The location gives the genre a whole new spin and ultimately a unique direction.

Check it out.

Old school, with a twist!

Author: diverdiva from Australia
10 April 2013

I agree with the other reviewers of this show, that it is witty, charming and strangely addictive. I think the reason it works so well is not the murder mysteries themselves, but the interplay of the characters and the quirkiness of DI Poole (a great role for Ben Miller). All the actors involved seem to be having a good time and there is great chemistry between them. The list of guest 'suspects' is also impressive. The beautiful setting doesn't hurt either! It is an old school, comfy, Brit detective show - but with a unique style - and I hope it runs for as long as "Midsomer" did. I'm finding I need my weekly fix of Ste. Honore!