IMDb > Best Man Down (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Best Man Down More at IMDbPro »

one of the best drama's of 2013

Author: bektaskonca from United Kingdom
7 October 2013

A newlywed couple cancels their honeymoon and returns to the snowy Midwest to make the funeral arrangements for their best man, who died unexpectedly after their ceremony. i should say this film is not a COMEDY, it is a hard hitting drama about our friends and families that we think we know? i was surprised as i was expecting this film to be a comedy and i just wanted to watch it out of boredom and 30 minutes later i realised this was not that film. i decided to watch it until the end due excellent direction, slow unfolding mystery and the very GOOD acting, i say that was a wise choice because it turned out to be a gem. i will recommend this movie to any one who likes drama film and a very good one it is.

Excellent and moving drama

Author: Greg from Australia
9 October 2013

It never ceases to amaze us that so many of the "smaller" movies have more substance and interest than the so called blockbusters. Best Man Down is a fine example. Interesting from the start, and with a few different threads in the early stages which inevitably come together and make sense as the movie progresses. Very strong performances from all the cast, with a special mention to Addison Timlin in the pivotal role as Ramsey.

Set mainly in the fairly bleak backdrop of Minnesota, this movie is engaging and thoughtful with a satisfying and believable resolution.

This appears to be the first movie directed and written by Ted Koland, and I hope he does more.

Quality.

Amazing movie and not what you'd expect.

Author: Joshua Price from United States
14 October 2013

The premise of this movie leads you to believe that there will be undertones of black comedy, however, it couldn't be farther from that. This was a heartfelt tale that carefully leads the audience from one emotion to the next flawlessly. As I'm sure other reviewers will state, it really is in the smaller budget movies that some actors best work comes out and the best stories are told. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone.

Lastly, to save you the time...

The track that plays at the end of the movie is Come Back To Us by Release The Sunbird. It's a perfect song to showcase the feeling the movie gives you at the end.

I can't say enough about this movie. I want everyone I know to watch it. A near perfect movie that I can't recommend enough.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
14 January 2014

"It was fun, it was always fun with Lumpy. He was the first real friend I ever had." Lumpy (Labine) is Scott's (Long) best friend and best man at his wedding. When he gets a little out of control Scott tells him to go sleep it off so he doesn't ruin the wedding. The next day everyone is shocked at Lumpy's death and now Scott and his new wife are arranging his funeral instead of honeymooning. When they begin to tell Lumpy's friends about what happened they discover a man they never knew. This is one of the biggest surprises I have ever found in terms of movies. I expected this to be funny for two reasons...Justin Long and Tyler Labine. Those guys are so funny without trying to be that I was looking forward to laughing many times even with the subject matter. What I found out was that not only was I wrong about laughing the entire time but I cried at the end. Labine was a great choice because he is so likable and even though he is only in the movie off and on his presence is felt and that impacts everything. I can not say enough about this movie and I want everyone I know to watch it. It does have moments where I did laugh, it's not morbid even though the plot revolves around death, and the most important thing this movie has is heart without coming off as unbelievably cheesy. This is a near perfect movie and I can't recommend this enough. I loved it. I give this an A+.

A movie about Love. Not the sex, or the taking, just the Giving Love.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
18 October 2013

L O V E That is really what this is all about. There are a lot of great actors in this movie. Everyone here is in it all the way. There is just one solid message, and that is that love should only be the giving, and never any of the other nonsensical things that we like to think that it is.

You try making it through this movie without getting misty. These are raw well developed characters, and they are leading you with each step with their full open expressions, and those running gags.

If you were a fan of Juno you will fall off your chair to watch this one again.

Enjoy!

surprising

Author: T1 Brit from France
25 January 2014

This is not a comedy. Whoever billed it as such is an idiot. People will be disappointed and some of the reviews I've read were very negative as a result. This is in fact a very fresh and surprising drama about people and the secrets they keep and the sometimes strange ways in which they meet and find love. I was totally surprised at the ending and I felt a definite feel good rush. It was perhaps a bit contrived, but I didn't care. I was too busy just feeling good. A great piece of film making. The acting is superb throughout, especially the young female lead. And the last time I saw the male lead was in 'Live free or die hard' where he was a likable hacker. Well he is likable here too. All round high quality human drama. Loved it.

Fantastic film worth watching.

Author: kenziemay from Canada
20 December 2013

Excellent film. I wouldn't really call it a chick flick, it's far better than that. The comedy isn't persistent which I liked most, just a refreshing story about a newly wed couple trying to grasp at the loss of their friend, a funeral to take care of and cancelling their honeymoon. The characters were likable and it even threw in a little twist toward the mid-end which you may or may not have seen coming. It's heartwarming and down to earth without most of the cliché nonsense you see in most comedies, a real nice surprise.

Fantastic cast. Justin Long and Jess Weixler make a great team. It was nice to see another movie with Tyler Labine, he seems like a such a fun, lovable guy and what a great actor! If you're hesitant, definitely go for it. I give it a solid 8/10.

absolute delight

Author: srsushantraghav from India
26 January 2014

this is my first review and i cannot be more happier to write it... the movie is astonishingly simple and beautiful.don't know why its 6.5,it should be up with 9s and 8s. well after seeing this movie i just kind of felt happy and wished we all be like these people portrayed in this movie.watched it when i was nothing to do and it took me by surprise... really sad that everybody waste money in making action packed cinema (hollywood)and shitty love stories (bollywood)while they should concentrate more on these kind of movies. really really love the movie and the theme too.

one of the very best movies i have ever watched. the best.

Well constructed character-driven Drama

Author: Irina Castillo Alvarez from Germany
9 October 2013

To me this is a really beautifully made Drama. The characters seem very authentic and relatable and the actors, especially Addison Timlin, are just terrific. I guess it's not spoiling, when the scenes are in the trailer, so: At the beginning, there is a wedding, Scott and Kristin are getting married and Scott's best friend "Lumpy" is his best man. He passes away on the wedding night, causing the newlyweds to take care of his funeral instead of going on their honeymoon. In order to organize the funeral, they contact Lumpy's College, Workplace and friends, and that is how they meet Ramsey, a smart girl from a broken family. As I said, the characters are very authentically constructed and they are also where the focus lies. Addison Timlin, as Ramsey, gives such a touching performance and the nonsexual lovestory between her and Lumpy is beautiful to watch. I recommend this movie to everyone who likes character-driven Dramas. The reason I gave it 8 and not 10 stars, is that the end is too quick and easy for me and not very realistic (without giving spoilers), it seems a little bit like a cop out to give this rather dark and deep movie about friendship and family a happy ending, but on the other hand, it makes it really viewer-friendy. I feel like with an 6,4 it is underrated.

Great movie

Author: Hazel Ojochenemi from Manila, Philippines
16 November 2013

The movie is basically about a happy-go-lucky guy, Lumpy. After the wedding at which he was the best man, he got drunk and fell. On getting up he had a heart attack and "died on a cactus"(constant reference was made to this phrase during the movie). His death made his long-term friends realize that Lumpy had given up a lot to make others happy. He dropped out of law school to spend his last days happy. Ramsey was his last new acquaintance with whom he made a very special connection. He visited her every weekend over a period of 9 months and even opted to take her to his place to start college one year early. The movie is a very warm one. You learn what love really is. Lumpy was happy and he spread it out whether you wanted to get it or not. I must say the casting was really good and the actors played out their parts just right! Ramsey did a great job though and I hope to see her in more movie productions in future. If you've not seen this movie, forgotten what true love entails, miss good friends or simply wanna have a good time I advice you go see this movie or just get a disc or something. Its worth the time.