IMDb > Car Date (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Car Date More at IMDbPro »

Tons of fun, and a great film

Author: kaiserjohnson from United States
19 July 2011

I don't know if this should be called a documentary, a docu-drama, an advice video, or what, but it sure is entertaining. My wife and I sat down one evening not knowing what to watch, but a friend told us this was cool, and we thought we'd try it. It's really great! At first, it seems like just a fun, kind of quirky film, but it sticks with you, and I realized why: under the surface of the "car date", we begin to see deeper into each of these people's lives and into our own by extension. There are all the normal things that happen on a first date, awkwardness, competition, flirting, compliments, etc. which made me think about the posturing and pretending that we all do around people we meet. Pretty soon though, you see much fuller people, maybe a closer look than any of the actors knew they'd be sharing. You see one girls sarcasm and sense of competition hiding her fears of not having a life that measures up to expectations, and the other girl's deep desire to just be liked. Finally, there's the sometimes hilarious, sometimes searching narration and interaction that Lacy provides, playing it cool while (or maybe in spite of) the girls' sometimes making fun of him. Is he a pick-up artist? Or is he just a guy trying to "get lucky" in love as he says? Is he any of the jokes the girls make about him? I'm not sure, but my wife and I were fascinated every second... and if you're not in the mood to think and search deep into the human soul... no worries, because it's just a lot of fun to see this crazy "Car Date".

5 Stars, 2 thumbs up, watch it!

A fun look at the science of dating

Author: Riddler666 from United States
11 December 2012

This documentary provides an in-depth look at what works and what doesn't work when trying to court women. I found the casting of the dates great. Charlie Laine is one sexy woman. However, this documentary despite being entertaining provides little to no useful information. The documentary forgets that by introducing variables into the experiment such as a camera and another woman that the test subjects may act differently then normal.

I also found that the length of the documentary needed to be longer. The date goes by so fast that you hardly get to take in the subtle things going on. The ending was a huge letdown to. I understand that he can't show or not if these women put out, but at least give us a hint so we can judge the results of your claims. I'll give this 45min flick an 8/10 simply for the entertainment value. It's worth the rent on itunes just to have a laugh or admire the sexy Charlie Laine.