IMDb > Rapture-Palooza (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Perfectly Droll Entertainment Dripping With Sarcasm & Random Humor

Author: DrollDame from United States
11 June 2013

The movie does not pretend to be something it is not. Some may feel the ending fell flat and/or the actors seemed bored by the childish humor. I believe it was all very intentional.

The blatant absence of political correctness was, in my opinion, incredibly refreshing. Every now and then a good punch in the face is needed to wake up from incessant exposure to overly cautious censorship forced on us by societal standards. Words will only offend if they are allowed to do so.

Those who have a droll sense of humor, enjoy random comedy and do not have a tendency to take everything seriously, will find this entertaining. Then again, perhaps one must be exposed to copious amounts of idiocy and/or eye-rolling ignorance to fully enjoy such a dry, sarcastic treat. Whatever the case, if you can keep an open mind, I would certainly recommend this for a good laugh.

Enjoyable, but nothing special

Author: Lauwer from Netherlands
9 June 2013

Let me start off by saying there's no need to go see this in the theater. It's Netflix material, for a rainy day or when you want something light and entertaining. The story: the rapture is finally there. Lindsey (Anna Kendrick) and her boyfriend Ben ( John Francis Daley) are non- believers so they remain on earth. The Anti-Christ (Craig Robinson) settles in Seattle (of all places) and wants to have sex with Lindsey. So Ben and Lindsey set up a plan to take him down. In the end God (Ken Jeong) shows up and get's into a fight with the Anti Christ. Owh, will the world survive? Are you enthralled? Probably not. The plot is nothing special. The beginning of the movie is probably the best. Some funny bits. A lot of cursing, vulgar talk, pot smoking sexual remarks etc. Normally I'm all for this, but here it all seemed a bit forced. The end was uncreative, horrible dialogue, uninspired acting. I don't blame the actors, they weren't given much and did the best they could. I love Anna Kendrick and will probably watch anything she's in, but she cannot lift this up to a higher level. She was almost apathetic with the world coming to an end and doing this movie. The white dress looked good on her though... John Francis Daley, well he just gets typecast. Always playing doofy characters, this time is no exception. Robinson making me laugh the most, but the humor isn't sophisticated or anything. I thought the trailer was promising, the setup was promising as if it was going to be like Zombieland or something, which was a great movie. However, I was mildly disappointed. It was entertaining, not hilarious.

Fun, Satirical look at the Rapture that never actually came

Author: in1984 from United States
25 June 2013

8.5 of 10. Films mocking the biblical end of the world are in short supply, so short that I can't even think of anything similar outside of some Web cartoons. This has a little of everything, including zombies, animated talking grasshoppers (locusts), and speaking crows that insult everybody. Great film to relax and laugh to.

That's not to say it can't and, hopefully, will be done better. It does seem sky-breakingly original in a Hollywood controlled market that seems to fear openly satirizing Christian/Jewish/Muslim beliefs beyond the people who don't question them in any way or use them to get power and wealth.

The actors clearly have a lot of fun with this and get into their parts without any fear of becoming toys of the antichrist or Satan. It's something like a much less cartoonish Team America World Police set in the present.

A really dumb comedy that I thought was very funny. If you like smart comedy & intelligent jokes then avoid this. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
30 June 2013

"The people who went to church and prayed and missed out on a lot of fun stuff got sucked straight to heaven. The rest of us, well we're screwed." While out bowling one night Lindsey (Kendrick) and her boyfriend Ben witness the rapture. When they get home they find out that both their moms have been taken while their fathers are still here. Trying to move on with their lives they start a food cart. When that doesn't work they take a job with the anti-Christ (Robinson), but with a hidden agenda. This is a movie I was excited about mainly because of the cast. I have to say that I thought this was very funny and I laughed throughout the whole movie, but it is my kind of humor. Mainly a lot of random things happening and some really stupid jokes that make me laugh like a man getting killed by a huge flaming rock and the wife mad because he was holding the eggs when he died. If that kind of humor appeals to you then watch this and laugh. If you are into more intelligent humor then you may not like this. Overall, a stupid movie that I thought was very funny and I laughed a lot. I give it a B+.

Craig Robinson/ Seth Rogen fans rejoice!!!!!

Author: flowasis1 from United States
12 June 2013

OK let me start off with a disclaimer. Being a raunchy comedy fan from Chicago, i am an unabashed Craig Robinson supporter. Dude paid his dues and routinely stole the show in bit parts in various Judd Apatow movies of the last decade. With that in mind, its nice to see Hollywood start to realize the mans considerable talents and start giving him some star vehicles that put them to use. never mind the god awful "Peeples", which was a failure more due to a horrific, unfunny script than Robinsons performance, Rapturepalooza is the movie that allows Robinsons irreverent, thoroughly raunchy comedic style to truly shine. I had tears in my eyes laughing out loud watching this movie. Granted the plot and premise serve as nothing more than a means to allow Robinson to go ape-sh#t with the material, its still not that bad. Anyone vaguely familiar with Revelations will recognize the subversive take on it and the pot addicted wraiths were pretty funny. That being said the main reason to see this movie is Craig Robinson. Hell change your view of what we were taught about the Antichrist..but in a rolling on the floor, tears in your eyes way... See this if your a fan of Pineapple express, Knocked Up and 40 year old virgin..

It has its moments...

Author: RevRonster from United States
17 August 2013

"Rapture-Palooza" wasn't as funny as I hoped it would have been but it has its moments...even if most those moments are shown in the trailer.

There's a lot of performers I really enjoy in this movie. Comedic actors like Thomas Lennon, Rob Corddry, John Michael Higgins, Rob Huebel, Paul Scheer, Craig Robinson, etc. However, the script didn't feel as developed as it should have been and there's only so much these people can do to make it work.

Craig Robinson jumped back and forth from being entertaining and annoying as the The Anti-Christ. At times his vulgarity was hilarious or mildly amusing and at other times it did little to give me a reaction. Anna Kendrick and John Francis Daley are decent as the couple out to stop The Anti-Christ but they didn't really feel like they were attempting to shine or lead the film in any way. They felt like they were just side characters in their portrayal.

Don't get me wrong, this film isn't out-right terrible and I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching it. The film has its moments--for example, I loved Thomas Lennon's character of the zombie obsessed with mowing his lawn. The problem is the film felt like there should have been more funny moments and, instead, it just wasted its potential.

The end of the world is here with Rapture Palooza

Author: rgblakey from United States
25 August 2013

There have been a lot of ensemble comedies as of late with a few working and others struggling to find their place. The latest Rapture Palooza brings together a great cast including Anna Kendrick, John Francis Daley, Ken Jeong, Thomas Lennon, Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, and Tyler Labine to tackle the biblical end of the world, but does it have the story and execution to keep it all together or will it feel like the end of the world trying to get through it?

Rapture Palooza follows a young couple who are forced into a battle with the Antichrist amidst a religious apocalypse with only the help of some pot head teens and an undead neighbor obsessed with mowing his lawn. This movie had everything it needed to work and does entertain for the most part, but somewhere along the way things get a bit cluttered. The first half of the movie is pretty entertaining and fast paced setting up this world, but as it moves forward it goes from clever to almost stupid. Craig Robinson who is normally pretty damn funny seems to be phoning it in at one point and then forcing it the next. He still has some great moments, but just doesn't live up to his normal fun. Anna Kendrick does a great job with her character keeping the goofiness to a minimum while seemingly taking this world seriously. The rest of the cast are hit and miss with a lot of their one-liners somewhat out of place, but a decent amount of them work as well.

This is one of those films that will probably only entertain a select group which is most likely the only people that will check it out anyway. There are some great funny moments and the film does entertain, just not as much as it could have given a little more polish to the script.

Wasted talent, wasted premise, and simply irritating to behold...

Author: HagenSteele from United States
18 June 2013

Craig Robinson is about the only thing in this film worth seeing IMO, as I have yet to see one of his performances that he is not fully committed to, and just plain funny.

Funny.

That's what I expected in this film, however, it fails to deliver.

With a premise like the "rapture", there is all kinds of room for some serious comedy, but this film wastes that opportunity, and instead seems to make the actors take the irritating / idiotic approach to their roles, and in the delivery of their supposedly "funny" lines.

The actors deliver their lines, and react to events in the film, in a way that can only be described as "corny", ridiculous, and just plain irritating. Instead of sympathizing with the characters, I found myself hoping they would be "removed" so as to save me from having to watch them any further on the screen.

The ONLY actor that seems to know how to deliver a comedic line is Craig Robinson, but he is simply overwhelmed by the inferior comedic performances of the rest of the cast.

This film just didn't work for me, and I highly doubt it will work for you either.

/shrug

Don't say you haven't been warned.

4 of 10 stars.

Folks, light 'em up, 'coz the end of days are upon us...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
23 August 2013

"Rapture-Palooza" is the type of comedy that might not be suitable for just anyone. Especially if you are a devout religious fanatic. "Rapture-Palooza" takes on the rapture and biblical issues with a sarcastic and hilarious glove and just slaps it around.

The story is about, well, the rapture. All God-fearing men and women are sucked into Heaven and the rest of us are stuck on Earth - tormented by annoying locusts, torrents of blood raining from the sky, burning rocks that hail down from the sky, and then there is The Beast; Mr. Antichrist himself (played by Craig Robinson). Lindsey (played by Anna Kendrick) and her boyfriend Ben (played by John Francis Daley) finds themselves having to confront The Beast in order to thwart his wicked plans.

Now, I am not a Christian, but I found the things that took place in this movie hilarious and tremendously enjoyable. The kind of religious satire that made up "Rapture-Palooza" is in your face, it is brutal and to the point, but most importantly, it is drop dead hilarious. And I was laughing a lot through most of this movie - this was just simply brilliant comedy. And the scene where Jesus descended from the Heaven upon the winged horse, that just had me laughing myself to tears.

The people hired for the roles in this movie were doing great jobs. I enjoyed seeing Craig Robinson playing the role of The Beast/the Antichrist, and also the hilarious appearance of Ken Jeong as God. But aside from them, then the cast list was really impressive and had a good amount of talents to it.

I found it surprising that this movie would make it out of Hollywood, given the seriousness of religion in the USA. Now, I know I am generalizing here, but I think such a movie as this one might stir up a storm in a glass of water. Personally, I enjoyed it for what it is - a comedy about religion. And if you are easily offended by such jabs at your faith in God or your religion, then quite simply don't watch this movie.

"Rapture-Palooza" gets a 7 out of 10 stars rating from me, because it was hilarious, well acted, had good special effects, and most importantly, had a wonderful comical approach to religion.

Way better than I expected

Author: T1 Brit from France
9 September 2013

OK it is very low budget. And true it would probably be best seen on a TV rather than in a theater. But it never got boring for me. Some much more expensive Hollywood comedies do. This one was consistently funny. The writing was excellent, the jokes frequent and well written. Anna Kendrick narrates and is the female lead opposite John Francis Daley. Between the two of them they are likable and have plenty of chemistry. The devil is hilarious. Managing to cover every angle of lascivious humor possible. The stoner scenes are also very funny. The final confrontation features another of my favorite comedy actors Ken Jeong doing what he does. Look, what would you prefer, a big budget special effects heavy movie with leaden dialogue and a lot of very lame jokes... or a snappy funny movie made on the cheap with some brilliant people in it. I know which I prefer. ( And it's got Anna Kendrick in it dude.... )

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]