IMDb > Date and Switch (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Date and Switch

Date and Switch More at IMDbPro »

For GAY and SRAIGHT dudes.

Author: jorgequeiros-pt
2 March 2014

As a gay man, I'm happy to see a gay-related-film without sex scenes or stereotypical characters. There's no flags, awkward coming outs, clichés or any of that. In fact, this isn't as much a gay-related film as it is about friendship. We get to see two guys, both dealing with their newly discovered difference and trying to stay friends in their own way.

For the straight audience, I believe this can be equally funny and touching. The movie really shows how a straight guy can still be friends with a gay dude. Nothing has to change. Also, it's nice to see a gay character that isn't effeminate, overly dramatic or promiscuous. An original and refreshing teen story I must say.

Finally a movie without stereotypical gay characters

Author: dfc-london10 from London, England
20 February 2014

I've watched plenty of gay movies/series and unfortunately they always tend to stick to the same stereotype of the "queen", colourful, flamboyant gay men. This one finally breaks free from that mould and presents a consistent coming out/of age story with a non-stereotypical gay main character, someone who doesn't like musical theatre, Britney Spears and is actually on the chubby side, which was quite refreshing to see. Granted, it's still a teen/prom movie like oh so many out there, but the acting was fine throughout and the setting/location was pleasant too. It was good to see some familiar faces like Dakota Johnson, Megan Mullaly and "Ron Swanson" acting like his usual butch self, albeit with glasses this time around. I thoroughly recommend it if you are tired of the usual gay stuff and want something light and fun to watch.

Ignore the rating, it's a decent movie.

Author: Mathew Callaghan
5 May 2014

I watched this despite it being 5.7, (I tend to trust IMDb quite a bit) but I'm glad I ignored my instincts. This is far better than its 5.7 rating.

Pretty entertaining, generally light hearted, standard teen movie really. It is a bit crude and definitely adult, not a family movie to watch with kids.

Also nice to see a gay guy in a film that isn't over the top flamboyant and feminine and is instead just a normal guy that likes other guys. For a while there I wasn't sure Hollywood realised that there are plenty of people like that.

Funny coming of age, and coming to terms story. No Bumping!!

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
16 February 2014

Really great little movie full of honest feeling, and open dialog. From the start this movie tells you that things are going to be done a bit differently, and never wavers from the message. These two "Dudes" are so great at being friends, Mike, and Matty; Mike really wants things to stay the same no matter how much they change, and Matty is so willing to walk through anything to be there for his best friend. This movie was filmed a few years ago, but the story, and sentiment are still very relevant. With great writing, and a really quality production supporting this really talented cast I really Enjoyed taking this ride with Mike, and Matty that is real friendship. I would recommend this movie to any open minded person out there, if you have ever given the wedgie then you don't deserve this movie. For everyone else this will be a nice treat. My only note is how these fellas both end up with people years older than them in the end, really that is my only problem, the rest of this is really entertaining, touching, and quite funny.

Unexpectedly Good

Author: Charlie Vetsworth
3 April 2014

I wasn't expecting much when I set out to watch this, specially after seeing the (undeservedly low) rating here on IMDb. However after reading the premise I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I was afraid that the humour would fall flat and the characters would be stereotypical and the gay side of things would would be half-assed but all my worries were for nothing.

What I instead found was an entertainingly relate-able film, a good number of genuine laughs and a respectful handling of gay characters. The plot is something we've all seen before but with a twist, and thankfully the film doesn't stick to the premise how you think it would, and doesn't cheap out. It is about friendship more than anything else and that is why it works. Overall story-wise it was a little thin and there wasn't much in the way of emotional pay-off but I was left with a pleasant feeling and a new movie to recommend to others.

'Date and Switch' never finds its footing, despite some strong performances.

Author: Bryan Kluger from Dallas, TX
12 August 2015

I'm surprised this premise has not happened sooner, but alas, in the year 2014, we have a film that took one comedic sub-genre and added something fresh to it. We've seen this premise quite a bit, but not quite like this way. In the vein of the coming-of-age films as well as the raunchy "let's have sex before we graduate" type of movies, 'Date and Switch' tries to follow these tropes to a tee with one fresh idea, but it ultimately doesn't follow through or focus on what it set out to be.

This film was one of Lionsgate's micro-budget films, which was made for $2 million and gave a chance to starting filmmakers in the business. One of them was writer/producer Alan Yang who has gone on to write, produce, and direct the television series 'Parks and Recreation', which is why you will see some familiar faces here. Without being as filthy or fun as 'American Pie', or as meaningful as 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' or 'The Way Way Back', 'Date and Switch' tries to be its own film, but fails on delivering the goods we were somewhat promised in the beginning.

We first meet two childhood friends Michael (Nicolas Braun) and Matty (Hunter Cope) who are about to graduate and have their senior prom. Like films we've seen before, these two best friends decide to make a pact to have sex before they graduate. Meanwhile, they are having problems with both of their girlfriends and decide to end their relationships so they can basically play the field. But the one thing that makes this movie different from the rest is the big reveal in the beginning of the movie.

Matty comes out as gay to Michael. But in this day and age, there are no hard feelings or hatred, but rather acceptance, hence Michael now tries to help his best friend Matty find the perfect guy to lose his virginity to, while trying to connect with a girl he really likes. But the big problem here is that the film does not focus on Matty hardly at all, but rather Michael, which seems weird to me, because you have this great setup, but then don't follow through. It just seemed there was so much potential to explore here that wasn't.

Even though Yang's script was somewhat decent, there wasn't any gut busting laughs or even hardy laughs throughout, which with this kind of comedy, I would have hoped for. And even the message gets a little cheesy here with the whole "it gets better" campaign. Some of the melodrama between Michael and some of his prospects seem a little far fetched and never really adds to the main point of the film.

Even though Braun and Cope deliver some good performances and with the supporting cast consisting of Dakota Johnson, Megan Mullally, Sarah Hyland Zach Cregger, and Nick Offerman , the film never really gets on its feet, which is a shame, because it had a lot of potential.

Great fun, but not your average, gay rom com,

Author: Tom Dooley from London, United Kingdom
6 April 2015

Matty (hunter Cope) and Michael (Nicholas Braun) are best friends and have grown up together. They are now approaching their prom night but are both still virgins. Well we all know the smell of desperation oozes out of virgins like a reversed effect pheromone and so they decide they have to get some serious bedroom action.

So they make a hash cake in preparation for a big celebration and go about the art of seduction - badly. Then Matty announces he is actually gay - as if this minor bombshell wasn't enough Michael starts to fall for Matty's ex girlfriend. The path to non virgindom then begins and despite Michael's attempts at helping his best bud get his rocks off, he starts to feel the strain and there inevitably will be some ups and downs (sorry awful joke that).

This is just great fun. Megan Mullally has a small but perfectly formed part as Mattys mom and the clichés are kept mostly at arms length. The jokes are really well observed and everyone puts in a great performance - maybe because they were all enjoying themselves. Either way this is a film that put a smile on my face and kept it there - I hope it can do the same for you.

30 something actors pretend to high school students in botched unfunny mess

Author: schf from United Kingdom
27 July 2017

on minute into the film I began to wonder if it was going to be like this all the way through.The dialogue is very annoying ,the writer clearly thinks he's funny but it just grates badly and pulls you out of the movie. The two main actors are ,in the grand American tradition of all people portraying high school students, clearly much older.If they made a joke about there worry lines and five o'clock shadows maybe it could have started to save this odd little movie.

The plot lifted from American pie is about losing there virginity before prom and celebrating with a marijuana cake?and that's it. nothing deep or meaningful to say about homosexuality or society just a no joke comedy with appalling dialogue.

Charming but not quirky enough

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
31 May 2017

Gawky childhood friends Michael (Nicolas Braun) and Matty (Hunter Cope) are about to graduate and have their high school prom and strive to lose their virginity before then.

When Matty comes out as gay to Michael he accepts it but then makes a play for Matty's girlfriend while also trying to hook up Matty in gay bars where they also bump into one of their teachers.

However Michael has betrayed Matty confiding in him and tries to make amends at prom night.

The premise of the film while refreshingly different does also come across as another bawdy let us get laid before prom comedies which you find in movies like American Pie but with added gayness.

A fresh comedy that's a lot better than the rating score

Author: charliejack from United Kingdom
17 April 2017

After seeing the low score rating I had doubts for this film until I watched it. The movie is about two guys who have been best friends since they were kids with one of them wanting to get laid and the other being secretly gay. I thought the acting and plot was spot on and found some of conversations hilarious. I've never left a review on IMDb before but thought this is definitely a film that deserves more credit for the score it's been given. 8.5/10