IMDb > "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Surprise surprise...

Author: Sanath Kumar from India
3 October 2012

It was indeed as surprise for me when i watched the season premier, i was a little skeptical and scared to watch as one of my favorite childhood memory could be ruined again. I was sooo wrong, this proved not only to be a worthy watch but added some more elements to the individuality of the characters, for example the height, facial expressions all made the Turtles differentiable from each other *(besides the colored eye band/mask of course). I just fell in awe & admiration within the first minutes, there was just one thing though which withheld a 10 star, cowabungaaaaaa. My most used word as a kid was missing and that was a bummer. It does have many more extras to balance the missing but i still anticipate i may hear it. This is indeed a worthy and more than expected successor to the 80's super-hit show.

Short and Simple Review

Author: Don B
14 November 2012

I gave this a 10 out of 10 for good reason. TMNT being my favorite childhood series I didn't think I could ever see that "magic" again. Nickelodeon has surpassed that with this new series. The personalities with each turtle goes much deeper than the simple catch phrases and slap stick persona's we grew up with, yet maintains it with a fresh new approach.

The humor in this show is undoubtedly to be enjoyed by both children and adults. Never have I really given a chuckle to a kids show like I do with this series, and every episode! This is the turtles at their best in any kids series throughout their history, hands down. (IMO)

To the old fans who are still whining, please change your huggies and grow up along with this new generation.

Everything a Ninja Turtles fan can wish for, old or new.

Author: Ronnie Dieleman from Rotterdam
10 March 2013

As I can imagine many before me, I've held off watching this new show for a long time, afraid it'd damage the overall feeling I have for TMNT. I'll have to note the nostalgia for TMNT is particularly high for me. And the whole Nickelodium thing made me imagine this new show might turn out too kiddie. But oh man what a wonderful surprise and adventure this show has become to me so far. The new designs took a place in my heart after just one episode, and the action and animation does not disappoint at all. I've fallen madly in love with it. The humor is still present, although way less corny and tacky then in the classic cartoon. And the characters are great. Very great, in fact. It's the writing of this show that has sealed the deal for me. Each turtle's personality comes across flawlessly, and even characters that only make a single or fast appearance stick to the memory. Leatherhead, in that regard, has been a highlight. 'His' episode has been the absolute highlight for me so far. Whereas in the classic cartoon he was just a stupid, 1-dimensional cardboard-cutout side character, in this new incarnation he is emotionally laden and a very effective character you can't help but care for. And the running joke where Mickey reassures his brothers that Leatherhead is 'totally mellow', followed by one of the other Turtles to say something that makes him go absolutely bananas, was just golden.

The basic premise of the show is still present; the Turtles live in their underground, sewer lair, and get up and out on the streets to kick some robot and alien butt. I can only hope the episodes stay as strong as they have been. Furthermore I hope they have learned by now that messing too much with the premise can make the whole thing tumble towards the ground again. Fast Forward, anyone? Let's not do that again.

I'm glad the current generation of kids can enjoy a show of this quality, and be introduced to the world of the Ninja Turtles. Highly recommended for fans of the old cartoon and newcomers alike.

ps. Keeping my fingers crossed for my favorite villain, Armaggon, to make an appearance in a future episode! He's originally from the Archie comics, but I've learned that Laird has brought up the rights so it should be possible.

Booyakasha!

Awesome

Author: cloudstarr from United States
8 February 2013

Wow what a shock this show is. I was surprised at how well the characters are written out and how they interact with each other. When I first saw the first episode, I thought to myself "um...I think I like this. Should I be embarrassed?" and now I'm glad to see that it's getting positive reviews.

When the turtles had their first fight, they had problems fighting along side each other and was refreshing to see that these turtles are very flawed but organic and have a lot of room for growth. One minute they are getting a long and the next minute they are fighting, but it alternates between the 4. For instance, Leo and Raph are usually butting heads, but one episode they mocked the other 2 turtles saying that they were inferior at fighting, and Leo and Raph dubbed themselves as the "A-team" haha.

Can't wait for the dvds! I hope they can keep this up!

Lean Green Fighting Machine

Author: m S from Australia
18 January 2013

You would have to be living under a rock not to know who the TNMT are. Even if you don't like them you have to give them the respect that they deserve. Entertaining kids and adults alike for decades.

I have been a been a fan since I was a kid and am glad they are still around in one form or another. (Except if Michael Bay gets a hold of it. :) )

This form of the TNMT is great. They have taken some of the ideas from previous series and adapted it to this story. Nick has taken the ideas and applied them for a new generation to enjoy. The CGI is certainly a great idea and it gives the guys a modern look and I like that they have made them more individual.

Deep down the core of the story is still the same 4 brothers being a team and kicking Shredders butt. But it is more than that it is also about family and applying the things they learn from Splinter in everyday life.

Leonardo is still the leader. I like this one because he seems to be able to lead but still have a sense of humour. Some of the other series he can be a bit serious and always more worried about how to be a better leader.

Raphael is still the hot head. He always likes to punish the bad guys and ask questions later. And like the other series his aggressive nature lands him in trouble more often than not and a good source for conflict with Leo. (See Temper turtle)

Michelangelo is always fun and source of amusement from the other turtles. They always treat him like most brothers do with funny calls and giving him a hard time in a brotherly way. Especially Raph.

And of course Donatello, I don't know why but he always seems to be the one I connect with (Everyone has their favourite). He is calm, easy going. He seems to be the positive influence in the group always trying to resolve conflicts without resorting to violence. Although he doesn't mind beating a few heads with his bo staff to get his point across. Plus the other turtles would be lost without his tech knowledge and ability to build awesome turtle vehicles and smoke bombs.

What ever your fancy this show has something for everyone. Little kids and big kids alike.

Don't think about it too much Buy it, download it, watch it, enjoy!

Booyakasha!

Author: Jacob King from Dallas, TX
7 October 2012

Really excellent! One of the reviewers already wrapped it up perfectly, but they did an AMAZING job with this reboot. I too was afraid it would be horrible but I was completely wrong (I was a HUGE fan as a kid and continue to be as an adult). The individuality of the four turtles really makes this thing work. The animation is great. The voices fit the turtles. Story line is good (not a fan of the new per/episode villains though). Hope to see Rocksteady and Bebop soon. The way they are using Krang is also unexpected, but its sort of a neat idea. I hope they keep this up and continue the great story lines. But seriously, where's the COWABUNGA?

Perfect reboot of a beloved franchise!

Author: Timothy Pulverizer from United Kingdom
4 July 2013

I honestly believe this is the BEST incarnation of the TMNT since the Original Comics! The way the characters interact off each other and the constant lessons learned throughout the Episodes and the way they tie into the overarching plot is incredibly clever. :) This show creates some very 3-dimensional characters and reintroduces us to our previous fan-favourites in a very special way.

Kraang Prime is Sensational and My favourite Episode so far is "Parasitica" because of the amazing Mike Arc and the way it was set up like a horror movie (with each turtle being infected one by one.) That was AWESOME! 10/10 Great Job, Nickelodeon. :D

I am Shell Shocked

Author: Adrian Fernando from Round Lake Heights, IL
3 October 2012

I was skeptical as anyone to see the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) series on Nickelodeon. With them being CG now, I was somewhat put-off. But after giving it a shot. I was stunned. The series premier was actually rather well done! If you are a fan of the turtles, being the series premier, you can guess the story. If not, then here's a summary.

Of course being the series premier, it starts out with them in the sewers on their 15th birthday or "Mutation Day" as they call it. Splinter explains of their origins which is similar to the 80s series. Splinter was a human having just purchased 4 baby turtles, before he stumbled upon a strange gang of guys in suits holding a canister of a strange glowing goo (I'll call it, 'Science Goo'). The science goo gives the baby turtles humanistic properties and turns human Splinter into a rat. Of course, now that they are 15, they believe its time for them to leave the sewers and explore the city above. Splinter is hesitant at first, but agrees. After exploring the city a bit, being entranced by all the wonders the city has had to offer, like neon signs, random bums in the alley, they come across a teenage girl (April O'Neil)and her father being kidnapped by the same guys in suits that caused their mutation. They are not sure why but they dive headfirst into the action, only to get their shells handed to them. Now the chase is on. (I don't wanna give too much away.)

Now that I've talked about the story of the series premier, let's talk about the show itself. For starters, the turtles in the new series are actually like teenagers. In the 80s/2003 series, they seemed more like college students than teenagers. But here, it's really believable they are 15. Their designs are also updated. For the most part they look somewhat alike, but they have some subtleties that distinguish each other. Leonardo is the turtle default, Raphael is more muscular and has some scarring around his shell and body, Donatello is taller, skinnier, and has a gap in his teeth which I think is appropriate, and Michelangelo is the shortest of them, he has the biggest eyes as he is the more expressive of them all. Their personalities are still in check, Leo is their leader, but still has a LOT to learn, Raph is the tough guy looking for a fight, Donny is the awkward tech geek, and Mikey is the least serious and funniest. As for Splinter....well he looks like a pet rat or fancy rat. Which is fine, but...I don't know, it's a little hard to take seriously.

The show's design itself is a lot like a comic book or a CG anime. There are a lot of comic book-style expressions and popping effects coming from either emotion or the impact of punches or weapons. Considering the nature of the show and that it's based off a comic book, it's appropriate and makes it fun to watch.

As for the action scenes, I'd say is well done, though, its hard for me to really put into words how I can describe them. you'll just have to watch the show for yourself.

This show is a surprise

Author: leeland_h from United States
15 August 2013

Only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is that I don't think anything is "perfect".

I am surprised. This show is very well written and acted. I ignored this show when it first came out because I was thinking old school TMNT - which I considered to be a little too campy for me.

I was wrong.

My son was watching this when I caught a glimpse of it. It just sucked me in.

Clever scripts. Believable acting. Funny when it is supposed to funny, serious when it is supposed to be serious.

I am a TMNT fan now.

Great job.

Great show

Author: m Ford from Wrentham Mass
21 October 2013

My 4 Yr old son got me watching this and after the first episode I was a TMNT fan !

Very well written better then any Cartoon I have ever watched . The Network obviously put a lot of time and energy into the characters and story lines. Its a great show to watch with your little turtle :)

each episode is like a short Movie .

I hope they make the transfer onto the big screen the show can easily make the leap .

The toy line is also really cool . They topped the 80's version which was not easy.