IMDb > Zombie Apocalypse (2011) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Zombie Apocalypse

Zombie Apocalypse (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Zombie Apocalypse? More like a writing, directing, and acting apocalypse!

Author: spacejoc from United States
29 October 2011

What can I say about this stinker? Yet another "SyFy Channel Original Movie" - otherwise known as a poorly produced steaming pile of schlock. It actually took two writers to come up with this garbage? It isn't even good for purely mocking purposes. Makeup people - when you feature a zombie in a fight, make sure you glue down their prosthetics! Computer animation effects team - you have to animate the rounds going into the gun, not just the empty shells exiting the breach . . . Ving, what happened to your career? Whew!

How is it remotely possible that SyFy can produce such great original series, but the absolute WORST movies? For good zombie fare, check out "The Walking Dead," where you actually care about the characters and the writing, direction and acting are solid. Don't waste your time - avoid this one at all costs!

It is what it is....

Author: sane1216 from United States
30 October 2011

What can I say, its a Syfy Original. Of course its not going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some of the special effects are off, the zombies won't look like those you would see in a million dollar production. However, if you're a zombie fan, it's your usual run of the mill zombie story. I found it interesting that they introduce a new zombified animal. Its your usual people doing stupid stuff to get in situations where they're forced to fight off hordes of undead. Yet, it's one of the better Syfy original movies I've seen. Decent acting, decent execution aside from some flawed special effects and the usual story line....people in a zombie apocalypse trying to find a safe haven.

I do think Ving Rhames wasn't used well, but I have to say I respect him for taking on a low profile role such as this one. Once again, it is what it is. If you're one of the people who loath Syfy originals...then you probably won't give this a chance and if you do, I'm betting you won't like it too much. If you're like me, however, sometimes bored on a Saturday night...this isn't the worse thing on television or on DVD. I've seen far worse zombie movies with far worse special effects.

Not a bad Zombie movie for lovers of the genre.

Author: daninhlfx from Canada
29 October 2011

By chance, I caught this movie during its premiere on The Space Channel (Canada's equivalent to the SciFi channel). I was quickly hooked into watching it, as it has several engaging characters and, for a zombie movie, a fairly good script. There are some satisfying conversations as our group of surviving humans make their way to Catalina Island, where they are sure things are better. We hear them discuss and debate the various ways to kill zombies, strategies for avoiding them, and so forth. There are some interesting twists on the standard zombie fare. For instance, "fresh ones" are more dangerous as they are not hindered by the slow stumble of the ordinary zombies with which we are all familiar.

Lots of intense zombie encounters along the way, some typical post-apocalyptic scenes (powerless abandoned cities, crashed jumbo jets, etc.) keep us engaged, and as with all movies of this and similar genres, we still have the usual annoyingly unanswered questions, like "Don't our survivors ever get thirsty?" Nonetheless, I rate this an excellent zombie movie for those that like them, more along the lines of The Walking Dead than the almost-comedic Zombieland.

Recognizable Names Cant Save Zombie Apocalypse

Author: Film Watchin Fool from United States
31 October 2011

Watch this if...you don't mind a SyFy original movie that is predictable and run of the mill for zombie movies.

Acting/Casting: 4.5* - Syfy managed to pull in names like Ving Rhames and Taryn Manning, but it doesn't rescue this film. The acting is questionable and obvious in many cases. About what you would expect from a Syfy original film.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 4* - It is fairly standard for a zombie movie from a directing standpoint. The zombies attack the humans and then there is a short break with some dialogue between characters. Rinse and repeat for an hour and a half. To me there was too much computer generation on the zombie slayings, which somewhat took away from the realism.

Plot/Characters: 4* - No surprises on the plot. Zombies have taken over the world and the humans have become the minority and their only escape is getting to an island called Catalina. I found it hard to really get caught up in any of the characters due to the lack of development and that makes this score fall a bit.

Entertainment Value: 5* - Pretty much what I expected from an entertainment standpoint. I knew it wouldn't blow me away, but I knew it would keep me watching. This is the case with most zombie flicks.

My Score: 4.5+4+4+5 = 4.375

Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com

The "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of zombie movies

Author: nospam78 from United States
30 October 2011

"Zombie Apocalypse" is so bad, it goes far beyond "so bad it's good", and becomes bad again.

Where to start? Well, for one thing, the special effects were incredibly cheap and cheesy. When a car is supposed to be on fire, all you see is a half-hearted attempt at badly superimposing some CGI flames. When a zombie gets hit by a bullet in the head, sometimes there is a slight spatter of blood, other times the head suddenly vanishes, and in either case the blood splatter is so obviously CGI, it insults your intelligence.

On the positive side, Lesley-Ann Brandt provides some eye candy, which however is more than counteracted by Ving Rhames. The attempt to interject some romance between them made me gag. I almost didn't make it to the end of the movie, but the movie did sort of redeem itself in a perverse way with the Zombie Tiger - one of the most hilariously awful monsters ever seen on big or small screen.

You might enjoy this movie if you like watching really bad movies and can provide your own MST3K-style commentary. Or perhaps you could play a drinking game and take a shot every time someone's head disappears. Whatever you do, don't take this movie seriously or you will be disappointed.

Not as bad as some other Asylum productions... but still not good

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
17 January 2012

I have to admit that my expectations were pretty low for this movie before watching it, since it was a production by the company "The Asylum" - which has made A LOT of bad movies - and that it was made for the SyFy television network, which has commissioned A LOT of bad movies. Fortunately, this movie is better than average for those two companies. There are a few decent special effects done on a low budget, the zombie makeup is acceptable, and there is plenty of blood and gore on display.

However, I must admit that I was still kind of underwhelmed at the end. The characters are pretty weak - I don't think I even learned the names of some of them! Also, while there is plenty of scenes where blood and gore is shown, it becomes quickly monotonous - every zombie slaughter sequences looks exactly the same. The going-ons between the slaughter sequences are pretty dull as well. And the last fifteen minutes of the movie are extremely incompetent in their direction and editing.

There are a lot worse movies out there, zombie-themed or not. Still, I would only recommend this movie if (1) you get to see it for free, (2) you have a high level of patience, and (3) there is absolutely nothing else to occupy your time.

awful

Author: bdawe14 from United Kingdom
26 February 2012

From the get go this movie is awful the title sequence looks like a 5yr olds attempt to copy any one of a 100 better made movies, the effects are poor the script is terrible sci- fi lost its way a long time ago and have just turned out trash movies for years. The only good thing they've done in years was Caprica/BSG they really should just give up now the production values on their movies are very amateurish.

Dawn 04 is simply the best zombie movie ever made followed very closely by 28 days/ weeks later. Ving please please next time the SciFi channel phone you tell them to get lost.

Awful movie I would actually give it zero stars if I could

Lame, Predictable and Corny

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
28 March 2013

Three small groups of survivors of a zombie plague join forces to reach the ferry boat to a sanctuary that they are not sure that it does exist in the Catalina Island. Along their journey, they are hunted down by hordes of zombies and only a few of them survive.

"Zombie Apocalypse" is a lame, predictable and corny low-budget TV movie by Syfy channel. The story is poorly written based on the above storyline, with zombies that can run. The characters prefer to walk under siege of dozen of zombies instead of driving a car in the United States of America. The moralist fate of Henry was absolutely predictable. The special effects are very simple and there are many sequence errors in the edition. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Eh

Author: splatman21 from United States
30 October 2011

It wasn't ALL bad. The Walking Dead is much better. This movie should be watched with many friends. And beer. Lots of it. Turn it into a drinking game. Every zombie that dies, drink. A person says 'zombie', drink. Etc etc.... Plus Crabman from 'My Name is Earl' is in it, he's cool. Ving wasn't bad either. They need some lore work, but not too bad. The acting wasn't bad, they won't win any awards, but it is OK.Had some fairly acted scenes. The effects were the typical crap SyFy spits out for their movies.i too, cannot understand how they make great TV like Eureka or Warehouse 13, then poop out this. I'd say if you're bored, or snowed in, sure watch this. Just do not take it too seriously.

In the style of The Walking Dead

Author: Tommy Bennett from United States
30 October 2011

This wasn't a bad Syfy film, by any means. I decided to watch it based on the only review herein. The characters are all mostly focused on survival, and not their personal pasts, tho the actors were clever at conveying that hidden angst - and thankfully mostly kept it to themselves. That stuff works better in a series where you follow the same people for months of episodes. They need to be filled out.

Vingh Rhames, whom I've always followed, was a surprise, and definitely took a back seat in the ensemble cast; but was a clutch Zombie slayer at need.

As in all horror flicks, the need for drama to keep our interest, drives the intrepid survivors - who get whittled down in numbers, yet find a steady supply of replacements - towards cities, where there can only be massed Zombies. Yes, you need supplies, but must you really enter a place of almost certain death by overwhelming odds? I did enjoy the shopping cart scene, which made lots of sense, and would be a big advantage to the military's resistance to an event like this.

Excellent surprise in the last 10 minutes, even if the CGI was the usual schlock. If you want top notch film making, Syfy, as we all know, is not the answer. If you like Zombie movies, though, this one is worth a peek.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]