IMDb > Red Clover (2012) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Leprechaun's Revenge

Red Clover (TV) More at IMDbPro »Leprechaun's Revenge (original title)

Better than most Syfy original programming

Author: Christopher Smith
27 March 2012

The movies that premiere on the Syfy Channel generally range from bad to absolutely unwatchable. This should come as no surprise since these films have typically super low budgets and have drastically short shooting schedules, leaving little chance for them to be well put together. However, a decent film occasionally makes its way onto the air and Leprechaun's Revenge is one of those rare cases where the results of the minuscule budget and rushed production schedule doesn't destroy the end result. While Leprechaun's Revenge still seems like a movie that would have greatly benefited from having more time spent on it, the final cut is much better than the schlocky title implies. The first thirty minutes or so are actually engaging. The opening scene is fairly creepy, the tone is set up perfectly, and its clear from the beginning that the protagonist isn't a stereotypical horror movie moron. Yet for whatever reason, the premise stops being effective after a while and the sense of rhythm that was established in the first half seems off in the second half(which I suspect was due to aforementioned time constraints and budgetary problems). Still, Leprechaun's Revenge remains a great flick to watch on St. Patrick's Day with a bunch of friends and it is certainly more entertaining than 90% of all the other Syfy originals. The cast is solid, the effects are reasonably cool, and there is a sense of humor to the proceedings that's hard not to enjoy.

Note: To clear up any confusion, Leprechaun's Revenge is in no way related to the endless series of Warwick Davis horror pictures. If I had to guess, Syfy was hoping for people to assume a vague relation in order to get viewers to tune in.

No pot of gold at the end of this film

Author: Mikel3 from U.S.A.
18 March 2012

Yesterday I was watching the SyFy Leprechaun marathon. Most of it was the silly Warwick Davis series that has grown to be a guilty pleasure with me. I enjoyed those for the most part, they have a certain silly charm to them. I tuned in now and then during the marathon. But at 9PM they premiered a new made for SyFy film called 'Leprechaun's Revenge'. Unfortunately it had nothing what-so-ever to do with the other films even though Syfy included it in the marathon making it seem it was an addition to the series. Anyway, what a piece of emerald green garbage that was. It starred Billy Zane and William Devane, two decent actors when they want to be. I can only imagine what enticed them to be in this mess, the almighty dollar most likely and lack of work. Come to think of it Zane seems to be making it a habit these days of being in bad films. It's like he deliberately chooses them.

************************** CONTAINS SPOILERS AHEAD **************************

The Leprechaun here is more like something out of the Pumpkinhead films, even being buried out in the woods till someone stupidly causes him to raise up. In this case it was by picking a red four leafed clover nearby....geesh. And part of the story seemed to be pulled from 'Drag Me to Hell' where the girl was expected to die in a few days after being cursed and started seeing things. In all fairness, the premise had some potential if it was executed properly with some degree of skill. It was the bad directing, final story and dialog that did it in. By the end of the film every one of the main characters but one was dead. And we really didn't care much when they kissed that big blarney stone in the sky either. I'm not sure the film could decide whether it wanted to be a straight out horror film with a bit of lightheartedness thrown in or a total farce not to be taken seriously in the least, either way it failed miserably. One of the dumbest scenes was when Billy Zanes character was explaining how he had lost his wife. It was in the mall shopping in a mob on black Friday that he lost his beloved wife. Some sheriff he was.

Anyway, the movie was a total waste of time. It ended abruptly as if they realized in the last ten minutes we have no where to go with this so lets just kill everyone off as a joke, some Joke.

Not bad at all

Author: Kevin Bannigan
17 March 2015

I mean, if you're comparing this to the movies with big-time budgets and big-time stars, then yeah it's not all that great. But for a Syfy original movie, Leprechaun's Revenge is honestly pretty decent. I watched it on St. Patrick's day and I was in a good, Irish-loving mood, so maybe that helped me enjoy it. The basic Syfy movie stuff is here: cheap special effects, a weird-looking monster, some cheesy acting, but the movie also has it's positive points. The script is pretty good and I love the small towns in movies, and Keening has its own special charm. This is definitely a step above what I'd expect from a Syfy original. It seems as if the people involved actually cared to make a good product, and they mostly succeeded. I would have given this movie 8 stars out of 10, but I just had to minus one star because of the silly scene where the leprechaun hops into a car (isn't he from the 1700's? How can he drive?) and runs someone over. It was just too ridiculous to be scary, but the rest of the movie, despite some predictability, was quite enjoyable. By the way, I admit that these lower budget Syfy movies induce some sort of feeling in me that makes me want to watch and enjoy them. Who knows?

a real treat, IF you "get it"

Author: traitorjoe666 from United States
16 January 2014

I absolutely loved this movie! I'm a fan of "bad" horror flicks and such, but this was a genuinely good and fun flick! It's a perfect mix of horror and comedy, with some genuine startle-moments, some genuine creepiness, and some incredibly good humorous moments.

My biggest gripe was that the ending felt quite rushed and that it ended a bit too abruptly, that there was no final Climactic Showdown as I might've expected, no hand-reaching-up-from-underground-to-grab-the-heroine, no "twist" like that.

Courtney Halverson was a treat to watch, a sort of redheaded Abby Brammell, and showed a fine mix of strength and vulnerability in her character.

William Devane was great as the cantankerous (but right!) grandpa.

Billy Zane was a real treat in all his billyzanian goodness, and delivered some PERFECT humorous lines (especially about his nametag!).

The movie didn't take itself seriously. It was NOT intended to be a straight-up horror flick, but was filled to the brim with self-deprecating humor. Those who poo-pooed "Red Clover" (sorry, but that's the title that flashes on the screen in the movie that I have) obviously didn't "get it". Quips such as "It's like I'm trapped in some bad monster movie and I can't get out." are so up-front and obvious about that, I'm amazed anyone DIDN'T get it.

It's unfortunate that the somewhat abrupt and anticlimactic ending is the last you'll experience of the movie, and what you'll likely remember most, but the rest of the movie, the first 99% of it, is well worth the time spent in giving this little gem a go.

First, take the movie for what it is: a fun horror-comedy that pokes fun of itself with some biting humor. Second, don't expect the antagonist to be the Lucky Charms dood (who's creepy in his own right, granted), but more Pumpkinhead instead. Keep those two points in mind, and you should love and appreciate this flick as much as I do.

Rather forgettable at the end of the day, but still better than most SyFy outings

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
30 June 2012

I was not expecting much from Leprechaun's Revenge, its premise was somewhat hokey and also it was SyFy, whose reputation for mostly awful movies is notorious. So I was surprised that Leprechaun's Revenge was reasonably watchable, even if heavily flawed. What did I like about the film? Well, Leprechaun's Revenge did start off promisingly with some snappy dialogue and a good attempt at an atmosphere. The leprechaun compared to other SyFy creatures is pretty good, used sparingly but this added to the sense of terror I felt, and thankfully less cheap-looking than before. The killings are gory and fun while not being too goofy, the camera work is wonderfully nightmarish, and apart from Billy Zane, who rambles his way through his role, the acting is mostly above average. It is the second half though where the film goes off the boil with a more comic edge that jars with the rest of the film, with the humour rather humourless, the story less suspenseful and more ridiculous, the characters stereotypical and while not irritating not very interesting all the same and the ending rushed and abrupt. On the whole, better than most SyFy outings but the second half is a let down compared to the promise of the first. 5/10 Bethany Cox

Mildly Entertaining B Movie

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY

Leprechaun's Revenge (2012)

** (out of 4)

Teenager Karen (Courtney Halverson) goes into the woods with her grandfather and she picks a red clover, which gives her the curse of the leprechaun. According to legend she will die in four days unless she can kill the creature first and thankfully her grandfather (William Devane) believes in the things but her sheriff father (Billy Zane) isn't so open minded. LEPRECHAUN'S REVENGE has no connection to the Warwick Davis series and it's pretty much what you'd expect from something on SyFy. The movie's biggest problem is that the screenplay is pretty bad from start to finish. While watching the movie it really does seem like they filmed it in order and just made things up as they went along because there are events that happen that are never really explained or mentioned anytime going forward in the movie. The ending pretty much comes out of no where and seems rather rushed and lazy. Another problem is that none of the characters are really fleshed out but I'll give this a pass since we are talking about a low-rent B movie. Those expecting a lot of gore won't be too disappointed as we get some cheap CGI gore ranging from arms being bitten off to one poor guy who gets half his face ripped off. The effects are all of the CGI type so don't expect anything too ground-breaking. The special effects in the film aren't all that impressive but I will at least give them credit for making the leprechaun look decent and original. Those expecting the short, Davis type are going to be disappointed because this one here seems more like a green Pumpkinhead more than anything else. I found Halverson to be good in the lead role as she managed to turn in a believable performance and she's quite better that what you'd expect to see from a film like this. Zane, as you'd expect, is all over the place but he's mildly entertaining. Devane pretty much delivers what you'd expect from him. LEPRECHAUN'S REVENGE isn't a good movie and it's mainly going to appeal to fans of "B" movies but I must admit that it's probably the best killer lep movie I've seen and yes I know that's not saying too much.

Forgettable monster flick

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
12 July 2015

After Dark Films are a production company who've been churning out a series of cheap and cheerful monster and horror flicks for the last decade. For RED CLOVER, it's time for another creature flick as the film throws a monstrous spin on the old legend of the leprechaun. The original title was LEPRECHAUN'S REVENGE, which was much better than RED CLOVER, but perhaps they thought we'd mistake this for a Warwick Davis sequel or something.

RED CLOVER is also a SyFy Channel-produced movie so quality is guaranteed. In actual fact, this is largely forgettable stuff, with various characters wandering around in the woods and getting bumped off by some generic leprechaun monster that looks like a zillion others. There's a little gore thrown into the mix, alongside lots of indifferent acting and a storyline that it's impossible to get excited about.

The most interesting thing about the production, for me, was the inclusion of two hit names in the cast: William Devane and Billy Zane, playing a father/son combination. Devane is the best actor here, even though he's almost unrecognisably aged, while by contrast Zane is on autopilot for the most part. It's a shame that the younger cast members are so lacklustre compared to these old timers.

Irish Eyes

Author: James Wright from United Kingdom
5 April 2016

While this cheap and cheerful monster movie isn't exactly going to be winning any academy awards it is a bunch of fun and has a good enough premise and lore to warrant another go around if they so wished.

While the effects aren't amazing it is definitely an enjoyable movie to watch and it knows when to make fun of itself while still being serious enough to have some scares and some creepiness, as well as some gory kills.

Overall I think this is a great throwaway monster movie with a solid cast and very few issues that would stop you from enjoying it if you are into cheesy horror flicks. Recommended.

Semi-enjoyable bit of fluff

Author: movieman_kev from United States
18 March 2012

Karen O'Hara is out in the woods with her Grandfather, when they get momentarily separated and she gets attacked by a recently resurrected leprechaun. she appears to get out unscathed so when her sheriff father (billy Zane) gives grandpa an earful for taking her to hunt, she decides to keep the slowly deteriorating mysterious mark on her hand a secret little knowing that a Leprechaun is after her.

All the major characters are.. Serviceable enough and the film eschews the more comedic elements of the much more well-known "Leprechaun" films (a series that has nothing to do with this one, by the way) Oh and Billy Zane has the most bizarrely funny monologue that comes out of left field of the film.

All in all, this film while not being anyone that special, could have been so much worse

My grade: C-

It only takes 2 muscles to pimp slap a leprechaun

Author: MrChunks from United Kingdom
11 February 2016

I didn't expect much going into this SyFy/Dark Films produced film and I'm glad about that as I really didn't enjoy it. I'm a fan of horror and bad films but this was just dire. It's a leprechaun themed film given a modern American low budget twist which didn't work for me at all. Filmed with stereotypes and bad acting if you want something more high brow look for the Warwick Davies Leprechaun films instead. When I say bad acting I mean really bad, I wasn't a fan of Billy Zane's wooden style before this film and I think less of his abilities after watching this. If I had written down all the stereotypes I'd have expected knowing this film had a leprechaun in it before embarking on my viewing I could have played stereotype bingo and I'd have won a full house within the first half an hour; Irish themes, drunks, a red head, folklore, St Patrick's day, a four leaved clover, and green colours. The monster effects were bad, the evil menace in this looked more like a turd goblin than an eerie fairy. The camera work was poor enough to give me a headache. The transitions and edits from scene to scene tried to be Star War's like but failed outright. The sound throughout was bad, bad dubbing, inaudible conversations and a bad soundtrack. Scenes where a computer was being used did not sync with the acting and was blatantly pre- recorded. Goofs galore and a poor flow to the film. I struggled to watch this once and absolutely won't recommend this or watch it again. If somebody gifted me this film I'd beat them with a stick. Sorry Red Clover or Leprechaun's Revenge or whatever you want to call yourself, you can have 1 out of 10 and like it.