IMDb > Into the White (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Into the White More at IMDbPro »

war enemies becomes friends

Author: kevintempel from Norway
23 March 2012

I just saw the movie. I give it a 9, it would have been a 10 if they had a scene of the planes fighting in the sky before the start. Sort of was missing that war scene so we could more get into the situation of hate of another.

But the actors does a great job, everyone is great. The beautiful and harsh landscape of the Norwegian mountains and wilderness is really beautiful and spectacular, and shows what sort of situation they are in. You get involved as an audience, you feel their emotions and feel their pain, and feels sorry for even the Germans. It is a story of enemies that hate each other, and end up as friends. A story based on true happenings and that is just what is so wonderful about it, seeing that even if they are true enemies, working together to stay alive is a much stronger force than hate and war.

The film is worth every penny to watch.

Extraordinary true story about unlikely friendship in war

Author: OJT from Norway
9 March 2012

Norwegian director Petter Næss has gathered a fine acting crew in this true story about three German and two British war pilots meeting up in a remote hunting cabin during a harsh Norwegian winter storm up in the high mountains, after shooting each other's planes down during the Second World War.

Being forced to work together, with all doubts and mistrust, they after some days started off what was an unlikely friendship while the war was on it's culmination.

The film succeeds in telling a story of fright evolving into friendship, in a chamber like story. All the five main actors are doing a great job with this interesting story.

It's still in the last part of the movie we start really feeling there's a war going on. If the film is to be criticized, it's for not really making us get into the war feeling at the start of the film.

The landscape is beautiful, and the war is 70 years ago. Will everyone understand the situation. In the end, this is really clear, and the film functions here. I'd really like to get more of the war feeling in the start of the film. A shot down airplane and some soldiers doesn't do that in a winterly landscape. The film gets better the further it gets into the material.

That said, the film is really worth watching. Great acting. The German actors are actually the best. Stig Henrik Hoff is also convincing, and David Cross is doing a good role. Rupert Grint has some troubles getting into it in his first feature after seven Harry potters, or maybe it's me seeing that beyond the witchcraft?

In my opinion Petter Næss has nailed another great film. All of his filmography is worth seeing. Wanting to film this story for a long time, he's given us another epic story from the epic Second World War, giving us the hope that this will learn us to never get into another one.

A great film about friendship.

Author: blackwolf117 from Greece
8 September 2012

Let me start by saying that this is my first attempt at writing a film review and that English is not my native language, so please bear with me.

The first thing that you need to know before watching 'Into the White' is that its not a war film, if you are expecting intense war scenes and action then this film is probably not for you. More specifically, its a drama film that focuses on the subject of friendship and survival. After a dogfight over the Norwegian mountains, three German pilots find themselves stranded in a harsh and inhospitable land during winter, their luck seems to turn when they discover an abandoned hunting cabin. Soon they will meet two British pilots who are pretty much in the same condition as they are in. In order to survive, they understand that they must work together despite their allegiances. What starts as a relationship formed from the forced conditions of the circumstances, develops into a relationship of true and lasting friendship.

Having said a few things about the movie's plot, i would like to say that the cinematography is truly great as well. The harsh and unforgiving nature of the Norwegian mountains is truly captivated well. While the white, snow painted terrain is beautiful its simultaneously terrifying since you will get the impression of fear and impending death, since life is almost completely absent from the scenery. The performance of the actors is very good as well, especially the one coming from the German side.

The actors manage to portray well the uneasiness of being trapped in a cabin in the middle of nowhere along with somebody you cant trust, since that somebody is your enemy. On the downside, i would like it if some particular scenes were more stressful. What i mean is that certain scenes develop kind of slow and don't transmit the feeling of stress and agony to the viewer, since solutions to the problems of the characters come almost immediately without many implications caused upon the characters, which is somewhat unrealistic concerning the circumstances, in my opinion.

To conclude with, 'Into the White' is a film about survival and friendship. Its a drama and not an action film, that immediately makes it a movie that is not for the average masses who are seeking cheap thrills and entertainment, if you are looking for something more, then you will probably enjoy it!

If you enjoyed this film also check:

Very enjoyable true story

Author: joshua kit from United States
22 September 2012

I really liked this movie. It doesn't attempt to be a Hollywood blockbuster or anything like that. Just a good, smart, watchable film.

If you're reading these reviews, then you probably already know the basic story: several British airmen during WWII find themselves in a remote Nordic cabin with several German airmen. They must cooperate or perish.

There's a great scene where the group is drinking merrily, and find themselves outside, watching a spectacular display of the Northern Lights. Even in the midst of despair, the men are able to enjoy a total moment of solace.

Flawed but still enjoyable

Author: bob_bear from Germany
14 October 2012

Based on a true story usually means inspired by a true story with countless dramatic liberties taken which is, I suspect, the case here.

The Germans are portrayed as stoic, disciplined and respectful which is refreshing whilst the Brits on the other hand are merely cartoons. "Davenport" acts like he's channeling Hugh Grant throughout whilst Rupert Grint is saddled with playing the arrogant, working-class oik. I just cannot believe either of them would behave so arrogantly when confronted by a potentially deadly situation.

Nevertheless, the gradual evolution of their acceptance, understanding of one another and friendship is what makes the film a pleasure to watch.

No idea why the Norwegians felt it necessary to shoot a defenseless German on skis. Did it happen? Or yet more dramatic license?

The budget didn't run to a CGI plane crash so I don't see why they keep putting airplanes on the posters except to mislead people into thinking it's a bog-standard war film. Pretty disingenuous also to change the title to Cross of Honour for the UK DVD release. What has that title got to do with anything? There's no cross in it! It's a film about extraordinary circumstances and extraordinary friendship and it deserves to be marketed as such.

And, finally, I cannot believe that mine is only the 9th review when so many worse films get gazillions? Go figure!

A Good Movie Pure and Simple

Author: jerrywright15 from United States
28 November 2012

I had started the night out planning to watch some iconic war movies that I hadn't seen before, such as Saving Private Ryan or Braveheart (had seen it but its been so long I might as well not have). It was while looking at recommendations for one of these movies that I came across "Into The White." I don't know if it was poor marketing, low budget, or if it simply had no popularity but I had never heard of this movie and was even more astounded when I saw that Rupert Grint starred in it, considering I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter series and enjoy watching the actors movies.

When I read Grint had a part in it I found my interest piqued and began reading up on the plot line, which instantly sold me. I always love a movie about a group of strangers banding together to survive brutal elements. Add in that the strangers are WWII pilots on opposite sides of the war all stuck together in a small shack and I was immediately hooked. I quickly found the movie and settled down to enjoy the hour and something odd movie. I'll admit it started off slow and I almost turned it off when I found the characters to only speak German for a good 10 minutes or so, with no subtitles, but thanks to some other reviewers I learned that the film would eventually break into English.

I'm extremely happy I persevered to watch this amazing film. Granted it wasn't the greatest thing I've seen in the world nor is it as tense and emotional as you would expect from reading the plot but its still a very solid movie. The environment is truly beautiful and terrifying at the same time. At times you could feel the harsh reality that surrounded the characters and it made me quiver at the thought of it. The cast did an exceptional job bringing their characters life, even Rupert who I thought I could never see outside the role of Ronald Weasely did a fantastic job portraying a somewhat loud mouthed but loyal gunner(a token to his acting ability). As the film moved along I felt myself loving and pushing for the characters more and more and felt elated when they were happy or tense when they were tense basically I was drawn in so well I ended up reflecting their emotions.

I have to say the best performance by far, in my opinion, was by Florian Lukas who played Horst Schopis or basically the German leader in the shack. I felt his character was the center of the group throughout most of the film providing a calm and reasonable head when tense situations arose. Of course his character might of been too nice and kind to be realistic or maybe he was just smart enough to know that their was a time and place for arguing and a time for working together. I also felt the British acted a little too recklessly, arrogant and all together unintelligent at certain points that would make others keep their mouths shut ( those who watch the movie we'll see what I mean). Other then that though I have no complaints whatsoever about this film. The script was good by any standards, the scenery and directing was pretty top notch and the cast was brilliant you could easily feel the sense of bonding they began to share as characters and, I imagine, in the real world.

All in all I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who doesn't mind sitting down and enjoying a good movie, pure and simple. Not a bunch of action, nothing too emotional or high strung just a feel good movie that promotes friendship, togetherness and coming to respect and care for others. I'd rate "Into the White" a solid 7 out of 10.

A very fine film

Author: Cattarauga Magna
9 November 2012

Although it does not really qualify as war film, 'Into the White' ranges among the best WW2 films I have seen. The makers as well as the actors deserve praise for getting the most out of a fascinating story: The film is beautifully shot, the soundtrack fits perfectly and the characters are convincing. Indeed, great care must have been taken when choosing the actors, for they not only have the correct origin (except for Strunk, though this will probably go undetected by non-native speakers) but also look like people did back then.

All in all it might not be an overly thought-provoking film, but nonetheless it is very watchable - highly recommendable.

I enjoyed this film, and it is the first isolation film that hasn't focused on psychological aspects and instead just showed the situation.

Author: MildInconvenienceMan from United Kingdom
20 October 2012

This film was simple and did not ever become over dramatic which many other films of a similar nature would. It is a story essentially of isolation and people who would normally be enemies, having to work together to survive. What was more interesting to me is that they did not focus to much on the psychological element of the event and instead merely focused on the situation, which is extremely peculiar for this kind of situation.

Although they aren't that similar, I couldn't help but get a 'Reservoir Dogs' feel from this film with the isolated setting and a group of people talking who normally wouldn't get on. It was enjoyable having a small cast and watching their antics in such a small place. There was essentially just the hut as the setting as for most of the film their surroundings were completely blinded by a snow storm.

I liked how the film started with it all in a foreign language showing the Germans struggle, but I wasn't looking forward to reading subtitles for a whole film, but this quickly wore off as the English entered the picture and the language changed, however it was kind of odd that all of the Germans could speak fluent English but he English could not do the same back.

Other things that confused me about this film, was why Rupert Grint was highlighted on the front cover as some kind of key character, when he wasn't really, but none the less I really did enjoy his northern accent.

I was a little dissatisfied by the ending, but it was realistic which I liked, it didn't have some happy ending where all of them were suddenly best friends and had all changed their views about each other by the end, instead they had all just learnt that the other side, were people rather than just the enemy. I didn't really like the fact that one of the Germans died when everything seemed to be going so well, but again it made it a little more realistic, leaving the film on a rather solemn note rather than some unrealistic happy note.

Great premise, patchy delivery

Author: al onthemed from France
13 September 2012

The other reviews have highlighted the good and the bad about this movie. It is easy to see what the director was trying to achieve: the concept is a good one, some of the cinematography was excellent, some of the acting was first rate, the story was well told and the human element was explored with humour, subtlety and warmth. These are the reasons it's worth an 8/10.

Without the great storyline and the humour however, this would be a 4/10 movie because: While Strunk and Horst were perfectly cast, without exception, all the other actors, including Harry Potter's sidekick and the Norwegian interrogator at the end, were either average or poor. Davenport was positively awful and nearly ruined the movie...but get through this and some of the clunky bits, and there is enough here to make you laugh, cry and and feel simultaneously queasy! All in all a great story, plenty of humour and humanity but some shabby acting/casting. I'd watch it again though!!

"Good, intelligible and reflective..."

Author: Sindre Kaspersen from Norway
2 October 2012

Norwegian screenwriter and director Petter Næss' ninth feature film which he co-wrote with screenwriters Ole Meldegaard and Dave Mango, is inspired by a true story that took place in April 1940 during the German invasion of Norway. It premiered at the Filmfest Oslo in 2012, was shot on location in the village of Grotli in the municipality of Skjåk, in the municipality of Stryn, Norway and in the locality of Brålanda, Västre Götland in Sweden and is a Norway-Sweden-Germany co-production which was produced by Danish producer and actor Peter Aalbæk Jensen and American producer and director Valerie Edwina Saunders. It tells the story about three German soldiers and two British soldiers who after an air combat that results in a crash-landing on a Norwegian mountain during WWII, finds refuge in an old cabin. The Germans takes the Brits as prisoners, but as they become more aware of the situation they are faced with, they realize that they have a better chance of surviving if they make a truce.

Finely and acutely directed by Norwegian filmmaker Petter Næss, this quietly paced and somewhat fictional tale which is narrated from multiple viewpoints, draws a moving portrayal of five soldiers' struggle to set aside their differences and forget that they are enemies while being stranded in a deteriorating small house on the Norwegian countryside. While notable for its naturalistic milieu depictions, fine production design by German production designer Udo Kramer, cinematography by Norwegian cinematographer Daniel Voldheim and costume design by German costume designer Steffi Bruhn, this dialog-driven and narrative-driven story depicts several sparse studies of character and contains a great score by Norwegian musician and composer Nils Petter Molvær and composer Peter Godfrey.

This humane, historic, atmospheric and at times humorous chamber drama and anti-war film which is set against the backdrop of the wonderful Norwegian highlands during a winter in the early 1940s and in the beginning of the German occupation of Norway, is impelled and reinforced by its cogent narrative structure, subtle character development and continuity, quick-witted dialog, multiple viewpoints and the fine acting performances by German actor David Cross, Norwegian actor Stig Henrik Hoff, English actor Rupert Grint, British actor Lachlan Nieboer and German actor Florian Lukas. A good, intelligible and reflective character piece.