IMDb > Blinder (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blinder

Blinder More at IMDbPro »

Blinder - excellent movie for date night and discussion

Author: butchpdx
8 March 2013

Being an American in Australia, I'm an outsider to footy culture and was a little apprehensive about going to see Blinder. That being said... I really enjoyed the film and would strongly recommend going to see it.

It has something for everyone. My wife loved it and she normally isn't a big fan of sports films!

The story isn't your typical team overcomes adversity to win a championship. It deals with complex issues that everyone faces in their lives. The characters have depth are genuine in a way that just about anyone can relate to them.

My wife and I discussed the film for hours after first seeing it as it brought to light many issues prevalent in sports relating to binge partying and the impact bad decisions can have on the rest of your life. It hit home in a big way...

It also doesn't that the scenery and actors are beautiful.

Blinder - A terrible movie

Author: Trinity Michaela from Melbourne, Australia
22 December 2013

I am really shocked to read all of the good reviews of this movie. I thought it was terrible; it was badly over-acted and the storyline was unrealistic. Anyone who knows anything about football must realize that the main characters dreams of being drafted after getting a few tackles while playing in the Bellarine league is ridiculous.

The movie is about rape yet the word isn't mentioned once and the "villain" in the movie is the girl who was raped because she sent photos to a newspaper. Bad acting, bad storyline and a terrible representation of Australian culture. I gave it two out of ten because the girl who played the rape victim was the only shining light. Do yourself a favor and skip this film.

Slow start, and a very adult topic, but a good movie working it together.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
27 December 2013

Slow to start, and most of the first half of this movie really feels like you would have to be an Australian Ex-patriot in their mid thirties, or forties to really appreciate it, but this is a good movie that has real heart, and a good cast. All that said I am no fan of Aussie rules footie, but the NFL holds no place in my heart either so meh. The movie is just like any ordinary middle American sports movie/ coming of age film, but it is all centered around the main pot twist, and foul deed that muddied the lives of all of these people years earlier. I have never understood the idea of having a home to "go back" to personally as I traveled a lot as a kid, so the whole you can't go home again thing never makes sense to me because in the end in every story that tries to prove that to be true people end up at home no matter where they are right? There is a dirty secret that is blaringly obvious from the start, but it is well told, and all of the build up to the re reveal is eventually worth it so I would say watch it if you want an afternoon movie, but this one will put you to sleep if you are up late, and tired, so avoid wasting your time if that is the case. I Enjoyed it, and recommend it for the most part, so you can take it from there. There is just something so creepy about Angus Sampson though but in that can't look away way.

Grass roots football at its best ..

Author: Jen G from Australia
14 May 2014

A great Aussie movie that takes us to grass roots football at its best. It is set in a beautiful beach location that provides us with an eye catching backdrop for this Australian movie. Great cast, thoroughly enjoyable , realistic story line . Takes you on a journey about Life and the choices you make and how it could effect yours and others futures. Kept me entertained throughout the whole movie. Showcases Aussie rules in a country rural setting. There are some classic one liners that make you laugh. Some iconic acting by well regarded classic Australian actors such as Jack Thompson etc. Good to see a Aussie movie with an Aussie flavour. If its a classic Aussie movie you are looking for make sure you see it! Thanks and enjoy!

If you love your footy this is a must see

Author: adovile from Australia
14 March 2013

I am too young to remember the Club so Blinder is my first film about our footy. I found it highly entertaining with enough footy action to keep the boys happy and the girls from thinking there's too much. Had to bribe my girlfriend to go and see it and because she enjoyed it I do not need to suffer through a chick flick for the next 3 months.

Blinder is a real story about how one night of partying can not only change your life but also the lives of your friends forever. It's about being mates in a small club and community where in the end everybody sticks together and it doesn't matter what happened or for how many years you have not seen each other.

I highly recommend this movie and think there's a good lesson for young boys/adults who think because you play footy and are hailed as 'hero's' in your community, it doesn't take much for things to get out of hand to change your life.

Compulsory viewing for Sports officials

Author: Steven T from Australia
11 March 2013

With all the recent negative exposure and subsequent spin doctoring sport in Australia is receiving it was refreshing to see something in the media that did not shy away from controversy. Blinder for me was a seemingly accurate display of the effects that Mad Monday style celebrations can have on a whole group of individuals. Its not an art-house movie, but the quality of the film was surprising and it was great to see familiar characters and scenery on the big screen. The film may well become an excellent discussion piece within sporting clubs around the country about a subject that appears to be misunderstood or ignored. Aside from all that it was great to see some local Footy.

A regood story of team sport in a small town

Author: Emma Berriman from Australia
11 March 2013

I watched 'Blinder' with my husband - a little under sufferance, however I walked away having thoroughly enjoyed a story which, whilst i have not found myself in the middle of, would absolutely grip any small community. Growing up in a small town, I know what the local sporting clubs offer these communities and this is exactly the hysteria and stress created by any issue - large or small, because everyone knows everyone else's business! Whilst it is a film built around AFL football, i found it more of a story about the twists and turns of life and the relationships formed in small towns, particularly between groups of boys in football clubs. My brothers all played at the local club and friendships are strong in these instances.

What 'Blinder' did was take me back to my younger days and I was able to re-live the memories of local characters and situations, some good and some not so good! I found the film to be a really good story and one which stirred emotions in different ways. There were some funny moments. There were some sad moments and even times when you really wanted the film to stop with the footy coverage and get back to finding out what was about to happen.

I would recommend people to see the film and enjoy it for what it is. The cinematography is very Australian and some of the beach views are spectacular. I can tell you that my husband really enjoyed it - and i'd have to admit that i did as well.

Blinder a must see

Author: Frank Taylor from Australia
10 March 2013

Blinder is an uplifting movie with some great football action in it. It showed surprising depth and an emotional side many football movies fail to portray. It's raw look into how much one unforgivable night can tear up friendship, a team and a close football community is compelling. Anyone that has played any kind of team sport will relate to this movie in one way or another. The plot keeps you guessing and Angus Sampson's comedy relief will have you fits. Go and see it, even the Mrs will enjoy it. It's about time another football movie was released. Jack Thompson gives an amazing performance as coach Chang. Get down and support our local talent and ultimately our great game. 10/10

Complex mixture of sport and drama

Author: John_Erbrederis from Australia
5 July 2014

I found Blinder really compelling. Complex, unpredictable, great settings and really managed to fit in a lot of the details of going to the local footy.

Torquay looks great in the movie and offers a fantastic variety of settings.

My best guess on the bad ratings would be that it is is hard to keep track of chronology, and the some of the story-line crosses taboos.

My favourite performance was Rose McIver as Sammy. Angus Sampson's Franky was also a highlight.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Great Australian & Football movie

Author: Leah Newman from Melbourne
13 March 2013

My advice to any one seeing this film would be to take most of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Because despite what the papers and one SEN movie reviewer may have said this is a great Australian football movie!

Saturday evening saw me taking along four not-committed movie goers to see BLINDER and Saturday night saw me exiting the cinema with four very happy movie goers!

The script is great, going back and forth between scenes a decade apart, focusing on a country football team trying to win back to back premierships and the aftermath of a scandal which rocks the small town. While a serious subject, the football scenes and interactions between the players on and off the field as you're taken through the events do well to break up could have easily been a very heavy film.

The director, producers and actors have done a brilliant job in honouring the heart of this film - the country football club. The football scenes are just what country footy is about, hard knocks, scoring goals and your team mates. The comrademanship between the four main footy players is great to watch, particularly Angus Sampson's antics both on and off the field.

For an independently made Australian film this one is definitely a must see for anyone who loves football or a great story. Enjoy!