IMDb > "The Newsroom" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Newsroom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Newsroom" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Intelligent television with great acting.

Author: dianeand from United States
17 September 2013

I'd like to proclaim the greatness of The Newsroom. I was disheartened by certain critics who eviscerated its first season and dismissed it in negative terms, harping on its being sexist and smug and overly didactic. I bought into both seasons because I am open minded enough to see what strengths the series has, whether as romantic dramatic comedy or as more purely dramatic programming.

I'd like to concentrate on what is indeed great about it. I point first to its excellent cast, talented and always bringing the characters to life. Jeff Daniels well deserves an Emmy nomination and a win, and he plays a role that he seems inhabit. His depiction of a man's despair at the loss of one he loved, his inability to deal with the angst caused by his abusive father, his gruffness paired with his caustic remarks, all reveal a range of acting that is truly great. He well portrays a man struggling to find himself. Emily Mortimer plays a character whom I felt from the first episode was the true "hero"--strong in her belief of the importance of the news being told correctly, a fierce and feisty woman. She constantly fights against Will's deviating from the straight and narrow. She is the pillar of the broadcast. It is her idealism that drives the ACN program, an idealism it is appropriate to applaud, not dismiss and not degrade. To me she is a well-rounded character with flaws as well as strengths--yes, silly at times in the first season, but charmingly so. In failing to judge the character in her totality, an injustice was done. Sam Waterston, John Gallagher, Jr. Olivia Munn, Tom Sadoski, Jane Fonda, Dev Patel, and all the rest are a dream cast.

Sorkin's use of romantic comedy in the first season, the juxtaposition of the comedic and the dramatic, I think was part of the show's charm. While Season 2 became more serious, the comedic and romantic elements remain, and they are well written and well acted. The quality of acting and writing allow it to succeed.

As someone who loves literature, I feel that when I watch The Newsroom I am reading a good book. I see elements of good fiction that include use of themes and use of parallels and use of foreshadowing--all blended together seamlessly. The show is instructional and aspirational and intelligent. It does take on the political right, but it does so by explaining the truth. Who could argue with that? Like Shakespearean theater or a Hemingway book, its writing carries the style of a certain writer, and one who work is giving us good television.

Genuinely a Great Show

Author: dmc101 from USA
9 September 2013

I don't gush about movies or television shows, but this one really has me hooked. There's not a character on this show that I don't like. In fact, I think Sloan is the best thing I've ever seen. I'd watch if it was just her. However if you take her strange approach and humor and set it aside, you still have a group of actors who have adapted to their roles seamlessly, and the machinegun like banter is intelligent and witty without being overly pretentious. Just when you think there's a silly little moral to the story, your given a scene where you're told there's not. It's like life, I suppose, if life was full of incredibly interesting people and you couldn't actually smell them.

What is it about Sorkin? You wanna like it but . . .

Author: MonganD from United States
25 August 2013

Aaron Sorkin, like David Mamet, has some great stories to tell. The Newsroom, a behind the scenes look at politics, infighting, and the sordid scandals that occur in a major network news show, has some. The stories are great. In fact, the stories justify eight stars out of ten rather than merely four. Throw in a mix of great actors. Veterans Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, and Sam Waterston; relative newcomers Olivia Munn, Alison Pill, or John Gallagher, Jr. All portray compelling interesting characters. Coupled with the great stories arcs, and this show is easily worth nine out of ten stars. So where do they go wrong? Writing, editing, and direction. Like The West Wing, Charlie Wilson's War, or almost everything else he writes, Aaron Sorkin writes incredibly intelligent dialogue. The characters never have to stop and think. They cut each others' dialogue off as if they know exactly what to say to provide a cogent, witty response. There's no pause in the dialogue like normal people. They are so smart, all the time, that it literally becomes a distraction. By the end of a conversation I just don't care anymore. The realism was lost in the writing and direction, and the cuts from one actor to another. One character remembers every detail of a historical event; the date, the time, the exact number of casualties. Everyone remembers, word for word, exactly what someone said in a fifteen second meeting months before. What does it feel like to watch every episode, every week, and leave thinking it could be so good but fell short? Another Sorkinism.

Pretentious

Author: ibkuyrgx from United States
28 June 2013

If you're a fan of Sorkin's previous works you will likely enjoy this show. The only way the writers know how to make you care about the characters is to have them run around their studio as if every crisis is a life and death situation but by the fourth episode this cheap trick runs its course. The characters spend 80% of their time shouting and speaking fast while the other 20% is dedicated to dismissing any genuine or authentic human interaction with terrible humor. This show glorifies a medium of journalism that is dying or dead and forgets that network journalism has lost nearly all credibility with people 30 and under. Of course I could just keep saying negative things about the show but all these negative things didn't stop me from watching all 10 episodes. It's very magnetic and I just couldn't stop watching it once I started so I had to give it a 7/10. I will pass on season 2.

Never at a loss for words.

Author: killer1h from United States
19 October 2013

There are few shows that I can say have nothing wrong with them, fewer still that are fantastic on top of it. This show blows all of them out of the water, there is such a perfect balance of comedy, news and general chemistry of the cast that to say you can find another like it in our lifetime would be a flat out lie. The newsroom is one of the rarest shows that actually puts brilliant scripting with an ensemble of a great cast. They bring you the feel of the actual newsroom not through gesturing but through the sheer mind boggling speed and wit that comes with that particular profession when it's done by the best. I can't tell you how amazing this show is, this is a MUST WATCH. 10/10 Whomever put this together is a genius.

Genius ........ehm, well okay ......... what now? ........ ridiculous!

Author: il brutto from Bahamas
31 August 2012

After a furious beginning, now this show is taking a turn for the worse and sometimes even a turn for the ridiculous.

This is no way near the brilliance of West Wing. Aaron Sorkins drug abuse seems to show its effects. The reason why I still rate it 7/10 is because of the genius beginning and the first few episodes, which were good and sometimes, I might say, extraordinary.

Sorkin doesn't seem to know a lot of things, especially when it comes to economy and fiscal policy. What? You say that he doesn't have to know? I agree, but then he should NOT present it in his show this way (this way:wants to lecture the Nation). This review is all comin from a real leftist. I would never vote for the Democrats, they are way too right and way too corrupt. For the Republicans I don't even have a word. Maybe lunatics or sth.

This surely is not a Sorkin Screenplay

Author: CineCritic2517 from The Netherlands
18 October 2013

As others have pointed out, this series became a train wreck after the first five minutes into the pilot. Those first five minutes actually gave me a boner and the hopes that I could do something worthy with my time while waiting for season 7 of Mad Men.

What followed after that orgasmic opening was the most cruel and unusual display of soap-worthy nonsense that is light years removed from what Sorkin did in the past on numerous projects in the realm of films and series.

Every character is completely overdone and the avalanche of verbal diarrhea in every scene is just grating if not embarrassing to watch. Was there even a basic idea behind this crap?

I truly hope some hack took Sorkin's name and got himself a deal with HBO to produce this nonsense. I know we all have our less than shining moments, but this is just unbecoming of the talent Sorkin possesses.

From being Awesome to Horses**t!

Author: sadsayeed from Bangladesh
22 July 2013

OK, i had to get it out. few days ago I casually started watching 'The Newsroom' Season 1. It was awesome from the beginning. from episode1 it was all about the tensed drama on how to bring back news journalism to its old glory, to make true ethical honest fact-based news, how determined they were to throw all the corporate & government fed lied as news to viewers. It seemed so much like the outstanding movies "Good Night, and Good Luck" (2005), "Network" (1976), and "State of Play" (Series & Movie).

This went on till epi6; then in epi7 i saw one of the most mor*nic episodes seen in my whole life. from epi7, all their true honest journalism zeal just vanished; & all their portrayed honesty had been redefined being converted into bunch of horses**t lies. I was so pis*ed that i literally felt like to write down 'The Newsroom' on a toilet paper, may be i will, and....

Sorry guys, I know there is high probability for me being bashed/disliked after this post; but, man, I felt soooo outraged from that episode that I had to write this out. this kind of series start off portraying so much honesty, and then after gaining viewers' trust they silently shift to the same loads of crap propaganda lies... it's intolerable!!! sorry

The way news should be, the way people shouldn't.

Author: Clintyfresh163 from United States
30 January 2013

A friend of mine raved about this show to me, and since I like HBO shows across the board, I thought it a safe bet.

I was partially right, but I will never watch it again.

The ideal presented in the show of "better news" is great and I totally agree, regardless of "liberal agenda" or whatever. If Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart were more thorough and honest about what they present I would trust the news more, regardless of the bias. So that's not my issue, unlike a lot of reviewers.

What I can't stand is how narcissistic the show is. I've never seen something so in love with itself. Every line is fast and witty, and every character is conceded and pretentious. Every. One. If I could skip through character development, information gathering, dialog and everything else that includes two or more people and get the show's take on past events I would.

But I'm reasonable. This certainly isn't a 1. It's qualitative, and I just might be too sensitive to these things. I didn't like Fight Club for the same reason, for example. The edgy "Yeah, we're doing this, so what? Quit being such a conformist" atmosphere is a huge turn off for me.

But it's not a 1. I've never seen a 1, just as I've never seen a 10. Get moderate, you guys.

6.5/10

Entertaining and well casted but not without its flaws

Author: Tevinhead from United Kingdom
29 August 2012

I'm always on the look-out for new TV shows and daily I check TV calendars looking for any upcoming shows that might be coming out. Of course, whenever a new show from HBO is announced my interested is often peaked due to the countless number of quality series they have produced.

The Newsroom. Perhaps for me, as someone who doesn't live in the US. A TV show about the news industry in America was not the most appealing of an idea. However I gave it a shot and was hooked instantly.

The show is witty, humorous, interesting, well casted, decently paced and has an award worthy soundtrack. Every time I started a new episode the intro song sent goosebumps over me and really got me pumped up for the coming 50 minutes or so. The story moves at a good speed, not staying on any one thing too long yet not switching themes so fast that you feel unsatisfied.

The characters are well written and charismatic with a few great performances that really bring them to life. Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer and Thomas Sadoski particularly impressed. Whilst Alison Pill for me was a miscast. If you look at how her character is written she should be very endearing, likable and interesting. Yet Alison somehow makes her come across as, for lack of a better word, nothing but annoying.

My major issue with the show is the dialogue. Whilst the dialogue can almost be seen as the show's selling point and is mostly enjoyable to listen to. I felt slightly pulled out of the world I was being embraced into. Every single person in the show is unnaturally quick-witted and since they really give no characters to contrast that type of wit to. I ended up feeling like I was watching a sitcom and characters slowly became less and less relatable.

I realise my last point won't be a major issue for most but for me it cheapened wwhat could have been a very deep and memorable experience.

Overall it's worth watching. And I'm sure most people won't have as bigger an issue with the dialogue as I do. If you've read all this way then thank you, this is my first review on IMDb! :)