IMDb > "The Newsroom" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Newsroom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Newsroom" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

My first review

Author: perseus95 from India
11 October 2017

This is the first show which captivated me in the first 5 minutes of its start. Jeff was very convincing in his role. The part which I loved the most was the romance between Will and Mac. Their banter was very enjoyable, funny and also touching. And the criticism of news also felt totally right. Overall, it was a very enjoyable and an informative show which moved my heart.

Created an account just to rate this show

Author: philrealdeal from Texas
23 August 2017

This was the single best written, and most enjoyable show that has ever graced television. The drama throughout is beautifully handled and progresses in a way that is truly captivating. It is a crying shame that this show was cancelled. The world was a better place with this show on TV.

Wanted to see more!

Author: missyjax from Denver CO
24 July 2017

By now, anyone who wants a plot summary can easily get it, so I'll dispense with that.

I'm bingeing this for the 2nd time. I still love what I loved and hate what I hated. Another way to put it: I still rewind when I miss a word of dialogue, but I still FF when a character is getting on my nerves.

Like almost everyone, I found Maggie offputting, but the performance I couldn't tolerate was Emily Mortimer as Mac. (I realize I'm out on a limb here, but so be it). Overact much?! In every scene, she's leaning forward, or leaning backward. Or she's standing tilted to the side. Arms are flaying everywhere. Oh, and does she own stock in Ugly Silk Blouse Ltd? This knocked it down to 8 out of 10, and I had to subtract another point for the ubiquitous office romance. Sure, it's fine to subtly hint at it, I guess, but when you have 2 main characters groping each other on a staircase in full view of the entire staff? C'mon, stay classy.

With all this whining out of the way, I'm really sad it didn't hang in there. I can see why this was not an easy show to produce, but dang. It was good while it lasted.

Just the best!

Author: Sarosh Framroze Elavia from Berlin
8 May 2017

I was a big fan of the West Wing, so I started The Newsroom with impatience and delusion and wow ! It took me just five minutes to jubilate! I was in front of my screen and I said to my self 'I love this show already so much, I think I am falling in love'. The screenplay and the characters are amazing but the best with Aaron Sorkin, as always, are the dialogues: clever, impactful, pleasurable. Not to mention the magic of some scenes, with fulgurances and delightful craziness. For me, it's the best TV show ans I will always keep it a place in my heart.

Great show hits home

Author: scott_weishaar from Chicago, IL
30 April 2017

The Newsroom has its flaws, but it is one of the best shows I've seen showing truth about modern society. The personal stories are a nice, feel good thread to the story lines. The key is the foundation upon which it is built; restoring integrity to the news! With the internet and smartphones the integrity of our news in this country has fallen to an all time low. This show hits hard at the core values that should be the basis of what we consider news and a source of truth. Unfortunately we no longer have a source of truth in the news, just opinion and a popularity contest.

Absolutely riveting

Author: sesht from Global VIllage
15 September 2016

Quite possibly one of the amazingly best shows on television, right from the 1st episode, when Will McAvoy, played by a curmudgeonly Jeff Daniels, launches into a justifiably righteous tirade, that arguably takes his character, and those around him into a vicious tailspin of sorts, this series, written powerfully, and executed even with more vigor than I'd have thought possible, never rests, and takes us from one powerful sequence to the next with breakneck pace, and those among us starved for quality storytelling and in for the ride from start to finish.

While Season 1 deals with how the main characters have an arc of sorts, having known 1 another before, and relating to each other differently now they know the other in completely altered circumstances, it, like the subsequent seasons, intersperses live footage of true political events in the world's pop culture, with fictitious amounts of what each of the main leads does, to deal with those revenue in a way befitting an almost legitimate news channel, while skirting an on- the-nose preachy tone about the responsibilities of doing something like News night, every night.

Like its subsequent seasons, it also provides a fantastic/fascinating insight into what goes behind how the news is delivered to us on TV, and, if that weren't enough, it gleefully puts our lead characters through the blender more often than not, and we cannot flinch away after.

Make no mistake though, it's not all perfect. When dealing with the open threads of relationships that the leads find themselves in, it takes so many missteps and falters so many times that it even becomes intended comedy, and a self parody of sorts, even venturing, surprisingly into vaudeville territory, that thankfully never detracts from the main tale in play.

All the technical departments, including the production design, Thomas Newman's score, the camera-work, the cinematography, all fall over each other in the telling of this tale, but make no mistake, this is one of the finest examples where the written content lords over everything else.

Signed into IMDb just to write this review (I'm pretty sure that was the review summary that convinced me to watch this stunning TV masterpiece)

Author: Diana Db from Romania
24 August 2016

I have no words to emphasize enough how precisely perfect this show is, from beginning to end!

Even though I have been binge-watching most of the TV series out there since I was a kid (okay, maybe for 10 years or so), this show is by far one of a kind! Excellent, it kept me at the edge of my seat for all of its 25 episodes. (I cannot possibly even begin to understand why this perfect, brilliant TV show had to be cancelled).

I randomly watched the first episode online, three days ago and I am not sure I've gotten any sleep until the end of its final season. The actors, the topics, the chemistry and of course, the dialogue, all of those are completely flawless!

I've read among other reviews that this show it too American and made for American audiences but it turns out it is my absolute favorite show and I have never even visited the United States. (Yes, I live somewhere in Europe, which is obviously far from America and this show has got me falling in love with it from its first minutes)

Good, could be better

Author: Hollywoo_Gazelletteer from Canada
10 May 2016

Into the second season, and I think this is a show that people should definitely look into, but not one that can't be passed up. If you're into any type of dramas (especially political, crime or office related ones), then definitely give this a try. I think everyone else has done a great job at reviewing what makes this show great, and I agree with almost all of it. It has good writing, good acting, it's relevant, and the stories keep you engaged and caring about the news (who would have thought!). So instead I'll share my critique of the show.

The biggest let-down of this show is that it often gets overly dramatic. Many times, the characters just start screaming at each other and they react more emotionally than an average person would. It's hard to believe that all the main characters in just happen to be so quick-tempered. I understand that some of these characters are emotionally-driven, but often even the more mellow/rational ones seem to start reacting like it's the end of the world at the smallest complication. I would have imagined by this time in their careers, they would have gotten used to hurdles and bad news, and wouldn't react so strongly at everything. Makes it harder for me to believe and relate to the story.

This leads to my second discontent with the show. Both the News Night and the show itself let on as if they're deconstructing the dogmatic "America is the best darn thing in the world" belief people carry, yet neither have any plans to do so. I guess Will McAovy does this a little by questioning everything, but the show itself still treats America as the centre of the universe. I understand that Americans created this show and they can forget that they're doing this, but I still get a little exasperated.

Honestly, my opinion might have been closer to a 7.5, but I really admired the way Sorkin approached season 2. I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks but I liked how season 2's two parallel timelines start converging into one and revealing the the gaps between. I think the reason for that is that this structure brings the right amount of suspense and drama into the show (and in a believable manner), and the episode-to-episode stories don't have to be overly dramatic. Either way, great job on keeping the show exciting and fresh. It's an accurate 8/10 on a scale where 10 is perfection.

Lastly, this is more of a remark than a review but I believe I need to say this. Right from the start, I thought Sloan would be great match for Jim. This isn't a spoiler, but I don't see how Maggie is at all like Mac. Sloan and Jim's characters seem like they would be attracted to each other and be a really good couple, but I feel like the writer/directors just didn't consider that possibility. Not too enthusiastic about the relationships the show is hinting instead - except the main one of course!

A must watch TV series

Author: Moumita Majumdar
3 April 2016

What is missing among the cacophony of facts termed news is 'NEWS' itself. Aaron Sorkin and Will McAvoy's 'NEWSROOM' with its lucid depiction of events in season 1, 2 and 3 attempts to separate the chaff from the wheat. The series opens with Will, considered one of the best anchors in the news-world , explaining why 'America is the greatest country in the world?'. He denies, to everybody's bewilderment. Subsequently episodes go on to show how ACN tries to fulfill Charlie's vision of transforming ACN into a news-house making real news. In the news- house there are two parties. The newsroom and the news-maker. The news-maker selects the news of the day after a thorough research. This research consists of facts backed by credible sources. To maintain the integrity of the news-channel if sources are not confirmed or are not credible the news is not reported. Based on this logic ACN works along with its news-researchers to get the facts right. In the process sometimes the news-house is mocked, sometimes it is objectified in order to call spade a spade and sometimes pushed to be sold. It saw its ratings to plummet,it's viewer-ship rate to decrease and it's news-anchors to be abashed in public blogs, chat-rooms and forums. So much in order to maintain the integrity of the news its viewers watch. ACN wants to be traditional and not trendy. It wants to be a news-mediator, and not a news-manufacturer, or a news aggregater. Social media as a bane has prodded the prodigious to produce what the society wants. ACN wants to flow against this tide. The seasons are a roller-coaster ride of emotions, actions and speeches which takes you into the real world of news-making. A part from Will's opening speech and the trial, I would like to give the credit of NEWSROOM to almost all the actors who has an idiosyncratic role to make what ACN is.Neil's hold over technology, Maggie's never say die attitude to learn, Don's passion to prove himself, Jim's acumen on facts, Sloan's knowledge of the financial world and last but not the least Mckinsey's vision of ACN make the series a reality rather than a fiction. Yes this is not fiction. If it is then what is news

I liked it, so sue me.

Author: blanche-2 from United States
19 March 2016

Boy, some people did not like this show.

Someone here said the first five minutes of the pilot were fabulous (I'm paraphrasing) and then it was downhill from there.

This is what makes the world go round. In the beginning, I found "Newsroom" too chaotic. I wasn't connecting with the characters and it was all too much.

Then I really got into it, and I found it fantastic. I loved the acting and the characters, and I don't understand why it went off the air.

I also loved the witty dialogue, and I liked the fact that it showed the interpersonal relationships within the newsroom as well as out. The whole Genoa thing was particularly chilling, when you absolutely know what's going on - fascinating to watch.

This is an Aaron Sorkin show, along the lines of The West Wing. And what actors - Sam Waterston, Jane Fonda, Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Allison Pill, Marcia Gay Harden, everyone top-notch. Even though I haven't been the age of most of the newsroom characters for many many years, I could still appreciate their lives and what they went through.

How bad can something with Sam Waterston in it be, I ask myself. Certainly worth checking out.