IMDb > "The Newsroom" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Newsroom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Newsroom" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 25: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

One of the BEST WRITTEN & ACTED shows around

Author: jpb-164-111182
19 November 2014

Every time I watch an episode of this show I find myself saying how loud how incredibly well written and acted it is. It is extraordinary - it does everything a great show should do - grabs your emotion and your mind. It makes you think and you get simply enveloped in the story and all of the sudden....time is up. You wonder what is next and who will do what. Nothing can be taken for granted. I learn something every time I watch it and am enthralled at the intensity of the acting. Major kudos to all those involved for providing us with such a great show. I can enjoy a "brainless" show just as much as the next guy to have a break from my busy life - but THIS show - I wait for. I also agree with another reviewer - I felt the same way about the West Wing. TV Networks - keep these kind of shows coming.

Watch it!

Author: lufernaal from Brazil
23 October 2014

I'm no authority in politics, but I believe this to be one of the most informative, funny and entertaining series ever for the kind of people who like to learn and have fun at the same time.

The fast pace dialogs and the witty comebacks are one of the things from The O.C., Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girls and House that I like, but in a political context.

The first episode with the emotional tirade, the second with the funny conversations and the other ones with the misunderstandings, complex multi-tasking exchanges and lovable remarks are one of my favorites.

Now that I'm hearing about the third season - even though it's going to be the last one. - I'm very excited, waiting anxiously for it.

It could have been great, but it certainly wasn't.

Author: CasualBuff1956 from United Kingdom
19 October 2013

I waited with expectation for Season 2 because I had enjoyed the first season so much. I have been a fan of Mr Sorkin's since the West Wing, despite his bad habit of using his programs to project 'The World views of Sorkin'. Another bad habit is dangling a storyline in front of us (The abduction of the Presidents daughter, 'Genoa' etc) only to toss it in the trash before the next episode is twenty minutes old. A great idea for a story is 1000 words, however, the realisation of that story is perhaps 100,000 words beyond Mr Sorkin's ability or attention span. Either way, I missed the last episode of Season 2 and I really could not care less.

As Close to Perfect As You Can Get

Author: carrel-taylor from United States
5 August 2013

I have realized the sad truth. I cannot honestly give a perfect 10 to any shows I have ever watched. Be that SOPRANOS, GAME OF THRONES, THE WIRE. The reason is that I am very picky. I am very picky and I always find something wrong with every show or movies that I watch.

So this is a new exercise for me. I am going to give 10's to all of those shows that can get as close to perfect 10 as they can possibly get in my book.

The Good:

1-The show is smart. It asks (forces you) to learn about things you should already know about i.e. the elections, Osama Bin Laden, Obama, Lebanon, Tea Party. ETC.

2- Emily Mortimer is wonderful. I know people like Jeff Daniels but I personally like Mortimer the best.

3- Exceptional writing. If you like shows that are well written and well developed.

4- Well produced. It never feels like it cuts corners. Duh it's HBO.

5- Olivia Munn

The Bad:

1- The dialog is fast paced. The dialog comes out as snobby and pretentious. Sometimes it feels as if the show is saying "yeah, only smart people allowed" Thing is...although a lot of people talk this way. Having too many characters talk this way all the time hurts the show.

2- Dramatic outburst for no reason. There are too many instances where the characters act like high school emo kids for no good reason.

3- The show lacks a good counterargument from the right wing. Although the show clearly states that Will McAvoy is Republican. He is clearly liberal.

4- The show lacks a smart republican that can put Will in his place.

5- Will is too almighty.

At the end though. It is one of the best shows TV has to offer at the moment.

Aaron Sorkin "Does TV Really Well...He Just Decided To"

Author: Instant_Palmer from United States
30 August 2015

This is an update of my August 2015 review of The Newsroom. I REALLY miss this show...If you haven't seen this three season show, I highly recommend you give the pilot a go. I was hooked in the first scene. This is Tour de Sorkin. The best TV drama ever broadcast. It's relatively shott lifespan appropriate and enhances its level of accomolishment. Sorkin is one of a kind. Not the person who will ever win Mr. Congeniality, but he writes TV dramas on a level 0 others have achieved. He is simply the best. He does TV REALLY well and The Newsroom is imo his best to date. I anticipate he will raise that bar even higher, but trust me when I say it is worth seeing the three seasons of this phenomenal show. See the pilot and decide for yourself.

Below is my original review...

Aaron Sorkin has owned Television for the past 15 years. He just never misses.

I've been on a Sorkin set, the recipient of his quick wit, and a witness to his working with actors. Brilliant is the word I am certain is everyone's first impression of Aaron.

His brilliance is in fact legendary - when Aaron pulls up to the pump, there is a Sorkin octane choice...jet fuel. Spend 5 minutes talking with him and you will be convinced of this. He is also radical, keenly focused, intensely in tuned to the nuances of others (picking up on voice inflection, body language, even physio clues), fiercely loyal, blatantly opinionated and quick barbed (he will call you out without hesitation and you best be on your A Game if you dare to engage), an optimist with a pragmatic foundation, a visionary and dreamer with chutzpah and a get-it-done (and done right) attitude, and as finely tuned no-fear mentality as I have ever witnessed.

Sorkin clearly has a vision of the world where right has might, intellect the most valuable asset, the ethics compass has no ambiguity (save for the complex journey and agnst one must sometimes endure in getting to the right decision), and those that care about what and how they do it, earn the front row view.

When Sorkin arrives on set, his presence is immediately felt...even the most seasoned actors respond to his attention like an adoring offspring. I am certain Sorkin just being on set raises the level of every actor. His "hardware collection" (and that of actors and crew) is a testimony to his brilliance in bringing out the best in others.

The Newsroom is a tour de Sorkin. Only a three year run, but that in itself is so Sorkin - do it right or not at all and get out on top. How many TV dramas get past three years without noticeable decay?

This is my favorite of all Sorkin creations. Verbal excess has killed many a TV show. The Newsroom thrives on it. What could have been perceived as sanctimonious, is inspiring. The often frentic pace (always under pressure and deadlines), gives the perception you've just watched a perfectly paced two-hour movie somehow shrunk to one hour, and you cannot wait to aee the next episode.

Watch this series from Episode one on. I've purposely NOT seen the extra behind the scenes bits or trailers. Maybe another time. The show is so good, I don't need reinforcement of it.

This series sucks you in from the first episode and never lets you escape its gravity until the final one

HIGHLY recommended viewing.

Bravo to the entire cast and crew, with obvious special acknowledgment to Jeff Daniels for his believable and inspirational portrayal of the ideal prime time news anchor. He brings the Sorkin vision and communication style to life, and his performances are brilliant and inspiring.

Aaron, you're de-man. And HBO's The Newsroom a must-see.

On par with House of Cards

Author: quitobarajas
22 August 2015

The only reason this show isn't rated higher is because every republican supporter of the GOP down-voted it.

This show is one of the most thoughtful that has ever been created, and is perhaps the best of the two shows Aaron Sorkin has written.

From start to finish, the show has managed to make itself something more than just a telling of news, it has managed to capture the investment of the audience in memorable characters that can never be forgotten.

Put aside your political opinions, and watch a show of pure genius. Appreciate it for how good it is, not on base political emotions.

I didn't even know politics could be emotional.

also signed up just to write this review

Author: rud89 from United States
11 July 2013

I really don't understand why reviews from the big sources (nytimes etc etc) have been "mixed" towards this show.

What do they want? another "apolitical", "balanced", IQ-draining TV show?

The beauty of "The Newsroom" is that it so successfully mixes real news events with fiction. It injects valuable intellectual content to the passive spectator. It spells out the meaning of things like "the Glass Steagall act" and it honestly criticizes (bordering on valid ridiculous) the disastrous quality of presidential debates. The show makes a great and successful attempt to EDUCATE the spectator just as well as it entertains her/him.

What's wrong with that? If real cable news can't and wont inform the public for fear of "having an informed, educated and valid opinion", then at least this show teaches us how news should be presented! It teaches us how to separate gossip from fact, how to identify real news reporting from speculative news.

Regardless of our positions/opinions on whats presented in the show, Sorkin does a great job of always backing up opinions and criticism with CONSTRUCTIVE content; that alone deserves great credit and I hope they keep up the good work.

Peace :)

Amazing

Author: cort89 from United States
17 March 2013

This show was never even on my radar, but i got HBO on promotion from my TV provider, and found this show randomly browsing the ondemand. I am a television news and politics junkie, and this show offers a brilliantly acted, albeit dramatized, look at the world of TV news. The cast is dynamic and each one brings their character to life in a believable manner. The fact that the story line is frequently rooted in real world news and politics adds to its appeal, and the show does a good job of portraying the emotions of those that bring us the news, or at least one interpretation of that. Overall this show will not only appeal to those people who are regular consumers of cable news and politics, but those that just enjoy a good and well acted drama.

Jeff Daniels is the good news!

Author: (khun.krumark@gmail.com) from Thailand
17 October 2012

Jeff Daniels keeps this from being dreadful. He's sublime as a powerful and sadistic, unfeeling news anchor. His screen time (and there's plenty of it) is great telly. The cast is talented and obviously there is much investment into production values. The stories that pertain to the news (although liberal in a loud and pompous way) are something to sail along with while Daniels is at the helm.

But that's where it ends.

The absolutely dreadful melodramatic dross that underscores this series makes it close to un-watchable. Feeble minded workers with feeble minded love lives and dreadful characters (that I hoped would get shot) ultimately wreck this ship.

There are so many examples of the stupidity of this show but here's the one I found the most repellent... one chap likes a girl but is sleepwalked into dating her room-mate. The room mate likes 'Sex In The City' so the chap who doesn't really like her decides to gen up on SITC by taking an open top tour bus which travels around New York telling all the insipid fans of the show how great having sex in New York is when you are getting old. The girl of his dreams gets emotional and just happens to come across this bus and unleashes a loud and annoying diatribe at all the CITC fans and wouldn't you know it... our hero hears it all and pops up to save the day.

WTF!

Anyway - it's over now and hopefully there won't be any more!

A great promising start, that goes all the way down.

Author: avnerb
30 July 2013

I watched the first episode 3 times just because I liked it so much. But as the show goes on, the boring personal relationships, and the progressive liberal propaganda just get old. You hope that the next episode it will be better, but its getting worse. The main character is supposedly a republican... yea, right.

I loved The West wing because it was brilliant and somehow balanced. Even though the government was a liberal one, they still gave the republican views a fair an intelligent voice. But In this case, they ridicule everything that is republican and glorify everything that is a democrat. Of course, they ignoring everything embarrassing that the current administration did.