The Newsroom (TV Series 2012–2014) Poster

(2012–2014)

250 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
I signed up for IMDb solely to give this show 10 stars
Rakki Rakkason25 June 2012
I have never felt as driven to make sure other people understood just how perfect a show was. Not for Game of Thrones, Firefly, Sopranos or any of the other shows I obsess about. But this show changed that! This show boils down everything that is wrong with America and puts out a simple answer to solving that. DO THE BLOODY NEWS LIKE IT'S NEWS NOT A HIGH SCHOOL PROM ELECTION!

Jeff Daniels is perfect in his role as the tired beaten down journalist that just doesn't give a damn about anything anymore, but used too. And we can see the spark that ignites him to become great again. Why aren't real reporters like this? Why oh why?

If this show get's cancelled I will camp out in front of HBO HQ and not leave till the last Game of Thrones series comes out (because I have to get on with my life at some point).

This was my first review ever on IMDb, all because of this amazing show! You better watch it as well!
527 out of 624 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Witness to genius
Lightseven24 June 2012
I've been watching television for all of my 57 years on the planet. It is a rare thing when I see a show that grabs me from the first moments and holds me to my chair until the very last, but this just happened tonight as I watched the first episode of The Newsroom. Brilliant writing, terrific characters, excellent dialog, smooth and sexy directing that organically brought all the pieces together, and there couldn't have been better casting. Every character just felt exactly right. When it was over, I said this will be the new West Wing. Jeff Daniels shines in this role and what a great opportunity to showcase his effortless acting. I can easily see major Hollywood "A" listers grabbing their telephone's right now making late Sunday night calls to their agents demanding they get a guest appearance on The Newsroom. I was hoping for good when I heard about this show last winter, but what was delivered was excellence. Well done HBO. You've got me hooked. Well done!
353 out of 421 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Critics be damned! Welcome back, Sorkin!
Nikhil Taneja26 June 2012
In the tradition of his earlier 'behind-the-scenes of TV' shows, Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom takes a hard (and witty) look at the behind the scenes of cable news. And like all his other shows, The Newsroom deals as much with themes of honour, ethics, loyalty, idealism and love, as it does with the news. It's also written in Sorkinese – Aaron Sorkin's fast-paced, back-and-forth, sing-song dialogue that'll leave you heady on a good day but with a headache on a bad one.

So, like critics have lambasted, is it "weighted too heavily toward sermonizing diatribes (LA Times)?" Maybe. Does it "choke on its own sanctimony (NY Times)?" Perhaps. Is it "yet another platform in which to Set the People Straight is a worthwhile purpose (Huffington Post)?" Most definitely yes. But is this all really so horribly, terribly bad? NO!

The main bone of contention for critics for this show seems to be that it tries too hard to be good, do good and instill good, just like all of Sorkin's earlier work. But when did that become a crime, in times of shows about becoming the next scrawniest supermodel, douchiest reality housemate or Tim Allen's 30th comeback? What's wrong with a show fantasizing about a world upheld by a long-forgotten morality in a time infested with shows that fall over each other to portray stark, grim realities and apocalyptic futures?

The Newsroom's got a fantastic cast with enough charm to last you till the next Woody Allen movie. Emily Mortimer's already got me falling in love with her, Jeff Daniel makes you really root for him, John Gallagher Jr and Alison Pill have an instant chemistry and Sam Waterson's singularly enough to bring you back every week. Yes, it's longer than it needed to be, and yes, it could have done with a little more Noam Chomsky and a little less Don Quixote. But really, as long as it does what so few show can ever claim to together – rouse you, make you think and ENTERTAIN, bloody well at that – who's complaining?

Admittedly, I'm a fan of Aaron Sorkin. I've seen (repeatedly) and LOVED Sports Night and The West Wing, and I think Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is one of the best shows ever made. His writing has inspired me in the past, and after watching The Newsroom, I have all reasons to believe that it will continue to, well into the future.

Critics be damned, watch this show simply because it's good television. It may not change the world, but at least it's trying to.
340 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is great to have him back
squirrelsheryl25 June 2012
I am watching it for a second time. All of the critics are acting as if Aaron Sorkin kicked dirt in their faces. The critics said nothing of substance- just vitriolic rants. Maybe Sorkin has hit a nerve. In a sea of crap T.V. this is entertaining. Believe me, we all know that the Newsroom characters are no more realistic than President Bartlet or Sam or Toby, Josh,Leo, C.J., Josh, or Donna. I don't think for one minute that the President of the United States has a secretary who doles out cookies, but I desperately need to believe that we are capable of being all of these characters. I desperately need to be quixotic for an hour a week.
206 out of 267 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant and Challenging
Filmbrewer25 June 2012
Rarely does a television show come along and sweep you off your feet with brilliant writing, an amazing cast and an actual message that is relevant and inspirational. Aaron Sorkin has done it again with The Newsroom! This show is truly a display of what television can achieve if we have the right people who are willing to break the rules of the mundane drab to make an engaging and intelligent show.

Jeff Daniels plays Will McAvoy, the cautious, veteran news anchor tiptoeing with his career in order to "play it safe", concerned more with keeping his ratings than stepping on toes. He has the smarts, the background and the ability to be something more, a challenger of beliefs and a defender of ideals, but lacks the motivation until Mackenzie MacHale (played beautifully by Emily Mortimer), a woman from his past, reenters his life. She is the spark to ignite his flame and gets him burning with an unquenchable passion once again.

Within the first five minutes of the show, Jeff Daniels delivers a speech of Aaron Sorkin's words about the state of America that is extremely touching, stimulating and brutally true for a vast majority of the population. It's reminiscent of his West Wing days, but with even more flare and aggression. I only hope he can keep the pace that he has set with the pilot; the bar is set high.
142 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Over, but not forgotten
mynexthome7 December 2014
Maybe I am just coming into adulthood after my 45 years, but The Newsroom has always been food for thought. The pace, direction and writing has been excellent. I have watched and re-watched every episode over the past 3 seasons and really can't understand why they would cancel this show for the ages. First I was not a person that watched West Wing. I was younger and dumber for the show to stick. this show grabbed me from the get go and I have never been more surprised with it's greatness.

HBO - why oh why are buying into the big network belief that the public is not getting what you bring us. This show is why I subscribe to your network and seeing it leave is a shame. The past episode "Oh Shenandoah" was brilliant is so many ways. It left me thinking about my father and how we can challenge ourselves in moments of being tested. I came here to tell everyone I will watch the last episode with sadness and wish I could continue this great program going forward, but it's over. I will save these three seasons and remember every episode with fondness and hope to see these great actors, directors and writers in the future where they can continue to express themselves without worrying about ratings or money driven desires.

Thank you for 3 great seasons!
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant, Briskly Intelligent Writing
gradyharp25 June 2012
A new series launched on HBO with a star-spangled episode 'We just decided to'. As conceived and written by Aaron Sorkin it is a timely, incredibly intelligently written show populated with some of our best seasoned actors as well as some very fine actors on the way up. This is the kind of television that reminds us that at one time the news programs informed us about current events and ran a continuing commentary on the development of events in this country and around the world in a manner that kept us alerted of why we as a nation needed to remain alert to both good and bad events, to celebrate when indicated and to fight back when injustices were occurring. This direction is indicated in the background imagery for the titles – running glimpses of the likes of Walter Cronkite, Edward R Murrow, Huntley/Brinkley etc who were responsible news anchors instead of the flippant celebrities more concerned with ratings of their show than the news we see today.

The first episode opens with popular news anchor Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels who proves his acting chops here) being interviewed on a college campus and responds to a student question 'Why is America the greatest country' by answering 'We're not. We used to be' and then runs us past our history of reportage on television that proves that the country has fallen in world view because we no longer care about our initial basic rites an freedoms and concern for humanity. It is a powerful start with some of the most gut-wrenching insightful history of this country that has been written for television.

From there, McAvoy returns to his station to find a support team missing and a replacement named. But enter an old flame, the war correspondent fatigued Mackenzie MacHale (Emily Mortimer, never more brilliant) who has been assigned Will's new Executive Producer and in the midst of many changes the new arrangement (not a popular one for Will) evolves into a return to actual news reporting of the significant type – all over the 2010 BP oil explosion and spill that threatened the Gulf of Mexico. It is raw, real, factual, and immediate news delivered with veracity and commitment.

Greg Mottola directs with keen precision, allowing moments of comic relief to be present if subtle and keeps the momentum of the show propelling smoothly. The cast of superb actors includes John Gallagher, Jr. (brilliant), Dev Patel, Allison Pill, Sam Waterston (never better), Thomas Sadoski, Chris Chalk, Trieu Tran, Charlie Weirauch, Margaret Judson, Olivia Munn, Adina Porter – and more. A more talented and committed cast would be hard to imagine. THIS is the kind of television series we so very sorely need right now. It is refreshingly free of the usual clatter and gimmicks that clutter the airways, and it s full of information and food for thought delivered in an entertaining manner. And this is only Episode 1!

Grady Harp
124 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sensational!
steph_jt25 June 2012
I've been waiting for what seems like forever for a top notch show to present itself, and I truly feel this is it. To say the first show was riveting is a gross understatement. As a news show, this fictitious newsroom had me planted on the edge of my seat, and when things finally got going, I found myself fidgeting and wide-eyed waiting for what came next. I have to say the leads in this show have amazing chemistry, the sort of chemistry that usually takes several shows to develop, yet here it was, in spades no less. It's easy to believe that I'm overstating this, but I truly believe this show has the potential for greatness, and believe me, I'm normally a fairly harsh critic, but in this case I feel completely justified in touting this as the next great show. There's some great social commentary on offer here, while not exactly new, it's offered up in a far more palatable fashion than the usual polarised and emotional manner. Needless to say, I implore all to watch this first episode, as it was so good, it could have been stretched another 30 minutes to become a great movie. The fact that we get more, is the icing on the cake. I can only hope the writers can keep producing scripts near the same level as this one. 5 stars, or 10 out of 10. Watch it!
122 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Future Emmy Winning Show
ibiggmikei24 June 2012
I watched this show after watching True Blood, which I watch out of habit on Sunday nights with my wife. I am SO glad we kept HBO on. I remember hearing about this show from different promos and snippets of interviews on the computer, but wow. Aaron Sorkin leaves his mark all over this show, right from the intro, which was very reminiscent of The West Wing right until the ending. Fantastic creation by him.

Without mentioning any spoilers, the show is about a news anchor (Jeff Daniels) who is beloved by his viewers but not so much by his co-workers and employees due to his aloofness, biting sarcasm, and general malaise. His character has a turning point in the opening scene and it is phenomenal. The writing, acting, cinematography, and tempo of the show are excellent. I fell in love with it right away. And how great is Sam Waterson on this show? I hope that this show has a domino effect and REAL news anchors take note and feel inspired. Hopefully, this show may lead to REAL NEWS STORIES by REAL NEWS ANCHORS. 9/10. Emmy's are DEFINITELY in this show's future.
115 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic start
Harmeet Brign25 June 2012
I watch a lot of TV shows and I have to say that The Newroom has impressed. Quick witted, fast paced and dealing with issues that exist in American news coverage and to some extent beyond. The main characters were engaging and their interactions into the future will be interesting to see as well.

What I really enjoyed was the exploration of what news reporting really is and how reporters should act when in the pursuit of a story, as well as what stories are relevant. Though not explicitly stated it brings to mind the image of a reporter who is actually unbiased and unafraid to go after the truth. The first episode covered the events of the BP oil spill in 2010. I look forward to the coverage of other major news events from this inside perspective as well.

Definitely recommend it as a show to see. I hope it continues on in the same vein.
99 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a show.
andyjwilcox15 December 2014
I love this show. I watch a lot of TV, not all good, but this is far and away my favourite.

From the beginning with Will's speech, to the American Taliban the Tea Party, to Genoa, to the story that took Will to Jail, this show is incredibly well written. The full on dialogue means you have to pay attention but is gripping, clever and often funny. Implausible, silly and regularly controversial, its very Aaron Sorkin, it was fantastic. The story lines are varied yet consistent and leave you thinking about the problems the characters face and how you would deal in the same situation.

I wish more people watched the show so I could talk about it more, and wholeheartedly recommend it. I am gutted that it is over so soon!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why The Newsroom won't survive.
heresmark15 September 2012
Several years ago, Aaron Sorkin created a show called "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip." I enjoyed this show a lot. It wasn't as good as "The West Wing," but it wasn't real bad.

But as the series went on, more time was spent on relationships between the characters than time spent on what the show was suppose to be about: producing a weekly "Saturday Night Live" type of show. That got old fast, the show got boring, and it was canceled after only one season.

Now along comes "The Newsroom." I had great hopes for this series. Great writer, good cast, great setting (a cable network newsroom). The first episode was really enjoyable. That Aaron Sorkin dialog that requires ones undivided attention was there, and I loved it.

Unfortunately, too much time is spent on personal relationships, and their stories are really hard to follow. When Will McAvoy is doing a story or interviewing someone, it's great TV. When he's concerned about stories some tabloid is reporting, it gets boring.

Likewise, the love lives of Jim Harper, Don Keefer, et al, are just not very interesting. Sorkin should spend more time on news stories and broadcasts than on these relationships.

If this situation isn't corrected, I predict "The Newsroom" has one more season in it, if that.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hot new show
THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING SHOW I HAVE SEEN ON T.V. SINCE "THE WEST WING."

I used TWW because, yes, this too is an Aaron Sorkin tour-de-force.

Imagine your most idealized concept of how news SHOULD be reported. Now, imagine any news service (network or cable) who would actually report the news. Now, put someone in charge who will clean house and hire people who will actually do their jobs, without regard to ratings or demographics.

Aw, forget it. That only happens on T.V. Usually HBO. Wait!! This IS HBO!! And, when that oil rig in the gulf blows out, only a couple of people see the true potential of the consequences of that explosion. And they just happen to be well-connected enough to get on-the-record statements from people who are in positions to know what they're talking about. Like the people who would become known to all of us soon while the greatest oil spill in history gets out of control, but also gets spun to everyone's benefit.

But this show is NOT about the spill. It's about a group of highly- qualified people coming together to produce a news show that actually dispenses NEWS. I have great hope for future episodes. I even watched this first episode twice. Great show.
93 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We need more like this.
Dr_Sagan17 November 2014
The Newsroom is in his 3rd and last season.

Aaron Sorkin, who created the Emmy Award–winning political drama The West Wing, is behind this, so you can expect some quality writing and high production values.

This is supposed to be about a fictional TV network (ACN) and the team who is behind its evening news. The network tries to be different than its competitors and wants to present news that they deserve to be heard and seen. Not just the popular news without meaning that other networks think that people want to watch.

This is an Aaron Sorkin's series so you must be prepared for fast talking dialogs and quick changing of the subject.

The cast is very good, especially Jeff Daniels as the crusader anchorman.

The plot of every episode is interesting, maybe even educational.

Why aren't any more serious series like this? Why we have to tolerate so many pathetic comedies with a fake laugh track and we don't get more series like The newsroom or the west wing? Here you see interesting characters with integrity, professionalism, who want to make a difference. Isn't it better to watch these people than to see all these dreadful characters and criminals in you average TV show? Highly recommended. We need more like this.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Children in big bodies
Amadio23 September 2012
First of all I know this is American drama and that emotions are a key component of such products. Second, I expect the characters to be somewhat believable and somewhat likable. While most comments on IMDb that dislike this program are about the perceived left-wing bias, my criticism is that all the characters seem to be on day-release from intense psychotherapy. If they are not, they certainly should be getting therapy. Everybody seems unable to deal with who they are, and what others do around them. Everyone gets upset at the slightest action of another. Everyone is either maudlin, fearful, or angst-ridden. They have the emotional response of emo teenagers. And this does not for good drama make. You have to care about characters in order to be involved and feel for them. Instead, we are subjected to children in big bodies who are eminently unlovable. This is the worst of American drama. While I understand that HBO made this for an American audience, it is so self-absorbed as to make Paris Hilton look positively interesting. The newsroom? Oooh! Television! Wow. And people get upset! Fascinating. And there are real stories as well. I mean real stories! How can you not want to watch it? It's not even boring, it's painfully masturbatory. It is so full of its own self-importance as be an exercise in politics. While some might like it because it is 'socially relevant' the script means that you are constantly being subjected to trauma. Ugh!
47 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Eh
r-dodger5426 August 2012
Firstly overall I think this show is well done. There are a few issues that bug me.

Will is supposedly a Republican yet never really has a view point that would support that stated fact. It is almost as if they have the title there so people can't argue that it is a show about a typical liberal news network. Which is obvious because they grill republicans on the show all the time. Yet to see any liberal points of view being attacked or questioned.

Maggie is a very annoying character seems overacted. Love triangle between her and two other male characters is really really over used.

The show comes off as pretentious and condescending at points.

Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterstons acting are superb and really anchor the show.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Was It - While it Lasted!
bruce28 December 2014
In the nature of entertainment on television, In that it must somehow appeal to the masses and also must inexorably fail to put those people with half a brain asleep, this show failed miserably.

I can safely say that it was the only HBO show that I ever watched that didn't feel it had to sling boobs and ass at the screen, in a vainglorious attempt to keep people watching. The fact that it was also engaging enough that I could spend any time watching, without feeling that the entire planet was populated by brainless alien robots, was also quite attractive to me! Needless to say, all of the above was more than enough to make sure that the program would fail, as indeed it did!

I do not agree with some that this was Sorken's last ditch effort to try and tell America just how f'ng stupid and isolated from reality it is... I think even he has given up on that failed plan of attack.

What I do think he was trying to say is that the best and brightest of the brains and the brawn of America has been outsourced to roof jumpers in China, and that something should be done about it, before this country falls in on itself like an acid etched house of cards!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely Intriguing
Yana S9 February 2015
I thought that the first ten minutes of the first episode would be the most intense and best ten minutes of the entire show. Oh boy was I wrong. This show has exceeded my expectations by constantly bringing you fresh original suspense in a form that you wouldn't have expected it. I found myself constantly on the edge of my seat wondering how the team was going to overcome each mountain of problems. Other then the brilliantly written script and storyline, the acting is phenomenal by everyone. Not once was I disappointed by an actors portrayal of their character in this show.

If you are looking for a show with a fresh take and great acting, then this is the show for you. I guarantee that you will be eager to follow the lives of these reporters through their journeys and you will not be disappointed.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
brilliant show.
Hamzeh Sameeh Momani4 February 2015
it's really rare to find a show that clicks from the get go and stays good throughout its run. The Newsroom did it.

from the first monologue you can see how good the show will be, that opening scene is right up there with the opening scene from House of Cards. for a long time I was skeptical about a show focusing on a newsroom and what goes behind the curtain until I watched the first episode, and god damn was it good!

it feels like you are watching a combination of Parks and Recreation, House of Cards, and Mad men.. or at least that how I felt, the realistic events -and usually actually true-, the work atmosphere, the relationship, and the comedic timing, especially the comedic timing, it was spot on. drama when it needed to be, and hilarious exactly at the right moments.

and you gotta say it again, HBO never fail to do a finale its justice. and they really know when to end a show. I binge watched the whole thing the last two days, and it was awesome.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
OK, I started off loving this show
jsfiller18 July 2012
I signed up just to review this show, but not to review it so much as to respond to another review who commented "THIS IS HOW THE NEWS SHOULD BE DONE!!!" (Not really a quote, but pretty close.) I felt exactly as this reviewer did after the first episode and a half. The opening scene was outstanding. The seen where Mac is laying out the new format and rules had me cheering.

One of the worker bees responds to a story idea with, "Jon Stewart had a *some guy* on last night. We could book him." To which Mac replies, "Were you listening to what I said just now or were you distracted by a bumble bee?" And she proceeded to repeat one of her main rules: "Is this the best form of the argument?" I almost rose from my seat and cheered I was so ecstatic. Finally, we're going to have a program that doesn't see the news as entertainment, treats opposing views respectfully and only is concerned about getting the facts out to viewers.

I was betrayed. Aaron Sorkin betrayed me. He pretends to portray a newscast that is serious, respectful of opponents and focused only on what is true ("only the facts"), but instead, the newscast he portrays is every bit as malicious and rhetorical as Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Jon Stewart, Al Franken, Keith Olbermann or anyone else. He pretends to be "fair" by having the protagonist portrayed as a Republican. Opponents, however, are caricatured. As someone I read said, Sorkin is noted for setting up his opponents in his shows so that his liberal position can win. That is plainly evident here. We get the same inflammatory rhetoric we see all throughout the media. An example: at one point the main character says, "I only appear liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage." Great, Aaron. I know of no conservative who thinks hurricanes are caused by gay marriage (and I know many ultra conservatives). What a ridiculous and childish statement. This is exactly the kind of rhetoric the show bemoans in the first episode and a half, and it becomes more and more evident as the show goes on. At least, as far as I watched (3.5 episodes).

I would not be so upset, but I am really sick and tired of the ad hominem, rhetorical attacks both sides of the political spectrum launch against each other, and I thought, I THOUGHT, I had found a show that recognized this travesty within society and was going to address it. But, as noted above, I was betrayed. Aaron Sorkin betrayed me. Instead of recognizing the problem and offering a solution, this shows contributes to the problem. What a shame.
71 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Extremely Strong Start and from there in completely crashed down...
Sebastian1 September 2012
When I saw the first episodes I thougth WOW, what a fantastic new show, the covering of all the dramatic events in the past years, the research behind it and how a news channel works was very interesting and entertaining. I guess this is also the reason why all the positive reviews here are from June, because the show was really good back then. Sadly it changed after the first episodes and now it is only a Republican bashing show which has some love stories going on to add some drama. All these love stories are pathetic....come on.....also Mackenzie sometimes acts like a 12 year old....and what the hell why are the Republicans and the Tea Party the ONLY topic in this show?? No one believes that Will is a true Republican, this fact should just make the bashing legal because he is one of them....but its just embarrassing. I really can say this because I'm not from USA, I'm not a Democrat nor a Republican and for me as a neutral viewer this is already extremely annoying.

So I really don't know why the show got renewed.....the show has soooo much potential if they had concentrated on NEWS!! and not only Republicans. Normally I'M a huge fan of HBO series but this....Its a shame to waste all this potential.....
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What's Up?
frodegrotheim28 July 2012
I have no idea how this show is currently rated 8,8 on this site. It's a perfectly viewable show, there was after all bound to be some quality here given the creator of the show. The main problem for me however is the soap opera level acting. It's really quite shocking, and not at all what you would expect from HBO.

Ironically the show has gotten more stick on IMDb for being liberally biased, self-righteous and condescending. I am a liberal, and highly enjoy watching someone like Bill Maher, but there is probably something to this critique. In what way the main character is a conservative I have yet to figure out. Just giving him the label of being Republican, doesn't make it believable.

The hands down most annoying character of the show is by the way Maggie. I am sure we as an audience is supposed to love her by now, but I rather find her tiresome and obnoxious. It's certainly not clear to me why she has two suitors fighting over her, and that illustrates the problem of the show. Something always feels off.
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Starts great, finishes off mediocre
danshabash14 November 2012
The reason I starting watching Newsroom is seeing Will's rant from Episode 1 on Youtube. It's quite good, and points out a lot of America's problems.

Unfortunately, the rest of the show consists of him blaming the Tea Party for these problems. Do I have a problem with Will smacking the Tea Party? No, in my opinion they deserve it ten times over.

What I do have a problem with is the show being JUST Will smacking the Tea Party? Yes. I thought this was supposed to be about the real news, or unbiased political commentary, or at the very least work in the newsroom.

Instead, the show might as well be called "Aaron Sorkin bitching about the Tea Party (with some teenage drama on the side and a very romantic re-imagining of newsroom work)".

I love the idea of the show, and I loved the first couple episodes; however, towards the end it became nearly as one-sided and repetitive as the Tea Party rhetoric it seems to hate. No wonder the show got such a high rating - people who agree with the huge bias love it, and the people who disagree don't watch it.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Television Ever!
cliffmacdev13 July 2014
This is one of the best television programmes I've ever seen. Mr. Sorkin needs to be lauded for the brilliance of the subject matter and the style used to convey it! This series ranks with Yes Prime Minister and The West Wing. Only David Kelly's Boston Legal comes close. He singles out both of the political parties using current events and dissects the crux of the underlying problems. It appears one sided against the GOP but they do have more loonies. They also have far more entertaining characters than the Democrats.

I find it amazing that it it only has one more season and scary, that viewers aren't clamoring that such excellent telly can be finished. This is Jeremy Paxman good! What an amazing country America is, that can have such contrasting television. Jerry Springer, Kardashians and programmes like The Newsroom. I looked at the Wikipedia reviews from the critics and it always baffles me, that such obviously inferior intelligences, have the gall to criticize someone like Sorkin. It's impossible for brilliant people like Sorkin to include Springer intellectual themes, but that is exactly what some of the critics are suggesting. Surely, they are aware of the show's subject matter and the audience aimed at, who would balk at such paltry programming? I have no criticisms and I am immensely grateful to be both educated and entertained and can only wish for more television of this nature!

Sorkin's perspectives and passion are what makes these shows so utterly fascinating. Americans are not familiar with Jeremy Paxman so are really unaware what brilliant broadcasting is and also what truly intelligent people crave. Sorkin delivers in spades. These are the intellects that dissect mass media and show what's relevant. Ignorant people need this as importantly as good role models are to children. Thinking has to be directed or ultra right wing perspectives will flourish. It's such a pity this series will be ending, he will be sorely missed and television will be a much more diminished forum!

I'm currently watching the third series and it just gets better with every episode. I think based on humanitarian reasons, Mr. Sorkin needs to reconsider. America desperately needs you. You never sell out and you address pertinent issues like no one can. So many are imbeciles and need your educational entertainment to flourish. You need to think of the youth of America and not just yourself Mr. Sorkin. They need you and so does America!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wantonly idealistic and utopian - Just the way I like it.
Vikram Goonawardena13 August 2013
I'm sorry to sound as if I'm preaching, but here goes anyway.

The Newsroom is meant to be extremely idealistic because Sorkin was inspired by the story of Don Quixote. Basically he wants to hold the heroes (and heroines) of the show to the highest possible standard. If one works that hard for that long on improving one's self in certain ways, and indeed is successful in achieving the goals along the way then I don't think that others are really in a position to judge. Despite people who sit around saying 'Isn't life mysterious' the whole damn time and thinking it passes for intelligence, there are people who seem to be taking themselves only just seriously enough. I guess it helps me being so young and knowing that what I think about anything and everything may well be total rubbish and as a result I can not take my own beliefs so seriously and just listen and try to understand the arguments, ideas, and themes Sorkin's trying to make with the dialogue. In my opinion, The Newsroom is a triumph of storytelling in at least a few key, and in my opinion rather magnificent, ways.

Firstly it is political - many have said that Sorkin (who is a devout..if devout the word I'm looking for...liberal) has made the protagonist (Will McEvoy) a Republican, i.e. Conservative, because he is under the impression that it gives a (false) sense of balance. This concept is actually mentioned on the show, and because of this I am fairly sure he realised this aspect of the character but dismissed it because the real reason that McEvoy is a Republican is that Sorkin wanted to display another, and very real, side of Conservative parties, in which there are in fact reasonable, respectable, and intelligent people. In my opinion it is somewhat understandable to take this point and make the argument that Sorkin isn't doing a good enough job to explain himself, but on the other hand do we criticise Shakespeare or Wilde for writing in such an intricate and cerebral way? The point is that one should be looking for a broader meaning amongst things you understood explicitly, as well as subtext and things you may have missed. That's totally my opinion though, and it should be noted that I am one for really enjoying reading something which is fantastically complicated and seemingly convoluted purely for the joy of the way in which it's portrayed. Working toward something isn't a trait I've always been able to value in myself, but it certainly is now. I have found it makes the fruit all the sweeter.

My second reason is the element of human emotion based drama. The scientific community can often be found knocking drama TV series and alike for focussing on the lives of the characters themselves in a very spectral sense as opposed to making any kind of perspicuous point. Again, however, I feel it's much more about the delivery. While the story will need some sort of 'point' in order to develop, the journey itself should also be enjoyed. I mean, I wouldn't want to go on a holiday to the best location in the world with people I find repulsive, would you? In my opinion, Sorkin is a master of political based argument, as well as emotional and dramatic storytelling. He seems to be able to tie the two together very admirably by showing how the characters are affected by their job, and how their job is affected by the news they report and the world in which we live.

To summarise, this program does take itself very seriously, but only to the point at which it can still prove itself. I think that in order to make the arguments it does it needs to take itself this seriously, and in any case as far as I'm concerned the show is certainly well deserving of this attitude. I mean, the opening scene alone - I'm not from the US, nor have I been (as far as I'm aware), and yet he's selling the original American Dream, or at least one of the American Dreams - really struck a chord with me in that he is describing something we should all be striving towards and something which should constantly be in the back of our minds making sure what we do is in some way worthwhile. (Doing things purely for enjoyment IS worthwhile, depending of course on the thing. Who am I to say what's worthwhile, I don't know anything? That part is totally up to you).

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, some of the reasons for this are explained briefly within my review, but if you try to put yourself into the right state of mind (if you're not already in it!) then I think you'll really enjoy and understand this program as a whole.

5* - 10/10 (Not quite as good as The West Wing, but that's for some really rather obvious reasons.)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this