IMDb > "The Newsroom" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Newsroom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Newsroom" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I signed up for IMDb solely to give this show 10 stars

Author: Rakki Rakkason
25 June 2012

I have never felt as driven to make sure other people understood just how perfect a show was. Not for Game of Thrones, Firefly, Sopranos or any of the other shows I obsess about. But this show changed that! This show boils down everything that is wrong with America and puts out a simple answer to solving that. DO THE BLOODY NEWS LIKE IT'S NEWS NOT A HIGH SCHOOL PROM ELECTION!

Jeff Daniels is perfect in his role as the tired beaten down journalist that just doesn't give a damn about anything anymore, but used too. And we can see the spark that ignites him to become great again. Why aren't real reporters like this? Why oh why?

If this show get's cancelled I will camp out in front of HBO HQ and not leave till the last Game of Thrones series comes out (because I have to get on with my life at some point).

This was my first review ever on IMDb, all because of this amazing show! You better watch it as well!

Critics be damned! Welcome back, Sorkin!

Author: Nikhil Taneja from Mumbai
26 June 2012

In the tradition of his earlier 'behind-the-scenes of TV' shows, Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom takes a hard (and witty) look at the behind the scenes of cable news. And like all his other shows, The Newsroom deals as much with themes of honour, ethics, loyalty, idealism and love, as it does with the news. It's also written in Sorkinese – Aaron Sorkin's fast-paced, back-and-forth, sing-song dialogue that'll leave you heady on a good day but with a headache on a bad one.

So, like critics have lambasted, is it "weighted too heavily toward sermonizing diatribes (LA Times)?" Maybe. Does it "choke on its own sanctimony (NY Times)?" Perhaps. Is it "yet another platform in which to Set the People Straight is a worthwhile purpose (Huffington Post)?" Most definitely yes. But is this all really so horribly, terribly bad? NO!

The main bone of contention for critics for this show seems to be that it tries too hard to be good, do good and instill good, just like all of Sorkin's earlier work. But when did that become a crime, in times of shows about becoming the next scrawniest supermodel, douchiest reality housemate or Tim Allen's 30th comeback? What's wrong with a show fantasizing about a world upheld by a long-forgotten morality in a time infested with shows that fall over each other to portray stark, grim realities and apocalyptic futures?

The Newsroom's got a fantastic cast with enough charm to last you till the next Woody Allen movie. Emily Mortimer's already got me falling in love with her, Jeff Daniel makes you really root for him, John Gallagher Jr and Alison Pill have an instant chemistry and Sam Waterson's singularly enough to bring you back every week. Yes, it's longer than it needed to be, and yes, it could have done with a little more Noam Chomsky and a little less Don Quixote. But really, as long as it does what so few show can ever claim to together – rouse you, make you think and ENTERTAIN, bloody well at that – who's complaining?

Admittedly, I'm a fan of Aaron Sorkin. I've seen (repeatedly) and LOVED Sports Night and The West Wing, and I think Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is one of the best shows ever made. His writing has inspired me in the past, and after watching The Newsroom, I have all reasons to believe that it will continue to, well into the future.

Critics be damned, watch this show simply because it's good television. It may not change the world, but at least it's trying to.

Witness to genius

Author: Lightseven from United States
24 June 2012

I've been watching television for all of my 57 years on the planet. It is a rare thing when I see a show that grabs me from the first moments and holds me to my chair until the very last, but this just happened tonight as I watched the first episode of The Newsroom. Brilliant writing, terrific characters, excellent dialog, smooth and sexy directing that organically brought all the pieces together, and there couldn't have been better casting. Every character just felt exactly right. When it was over, I said this will be the new West Wing. Jeff Daniels shines in this role and what a great opportunity to showcase his effortless acting. I can easily see major Hollywood "A" listers grabbing their telephone's right now making late Sunday night calls to their agents demanding they get a guest appearance on The Newsroom. I was hoping for good when I heard about this show last winter, but what was delivered was excellence. Well done HBO. You've got me hooked. Well done!

It is great to have him back

Author: squirrelsheryl from United States
25 June 2012

I am watching it for a second time. All of the critics are acting as if Aaron Sorkin kicked dirt in their faces. The critics said nothing of substance- just vitriolic rants. Maybe Sorkin has hit a nerve. In a sea of crap T.V. this is entertaining. Believe me, we all know that the Newsroom characters are no more realistic than President Bartlet or Sam or Toby, Josh,Leo, C.J., Josh, or Donna. I don't think for one minute that the President of the United States has a secretary who doles out cookies, but I desperately need to believe that we are capable of being all of these characters. I desperately need to be quixotic for an hour a week.

Brilliant and Challenging

Author: Filmbrewer from Los Angeles
25 June 2012

Rarely does a television show come along and sweep you off your feet with brilliant writing, an amazing cast and an actual message that is relevant and inspirational. Aaron Sorkin has done it again with The Newsroom! This show is truly a display of what television can achieve if we have the right people who are willing to break the rules of the mundane drab to make an engaging and intelligent show.

Jeff Daniels plays Will McAvoy, the cautious, veteran news anchor tiptoeing with his career in order to "play it safe", concerned more with keeping his ratings than stepping on toes. He has the smarts, the background and the ability to be something more, a challenger of beliefs and a defender of ideals, but lacks the motivation until Mackenzie MacHale (played beautifully by Emily Mortimer), a woman from his past, reenters his life. She is the spark to ignite his flame and gets him burning with an unquenchable passion once again.

Within the first five minutes of the show, Jeff Daniels delivers a speech of Aaron Sorkin's words about the state of America that is extremely touching, stimulating and brutally true for a vast majority of the population. It's reminiscent of his West Wing days, but with even more flare and aggression. I only hope he can keep the pace that he has set with the pilot; the bar is set high.

Future Emmy Winning Show

Author: ibiggmikei from United States
24 June 2012

I watched this show after watching True Blood, which I watch out of habit on Sunday nights with my wife. I am SO glad we kept HBO on. I remember hearing about this show from different promos and snippets of interviews on the computer, but wow. Aaron Sorkin leaves his mark all over this show, right from the intro, which was very reminiscent of The West Wing right until the ending. Fantastic creation by him.

Without mentioning any spoilers, the show is about a news anchor (Jeff Daniels) who is beloved by his viewers but not so much by his co-workers and employees due to his aloofness, biting sarcasm, and general malaise. His character has a turning point in the opening scene and it is phenomenal. The writing, acting, cinematography, and tempo of the show are excellent. I fell in love with it right away. And how great is Sam Waterson on this show? I hope that this show has a domino effect and REAL news anchors take note and feel inspired. Hopefully, this show may lead to REAL NEWS STORIES by REAL NEWS ANCHORS. 9/10. Emmy's are DEFINITELY in this show's future.

Brilliant, Briskly Intelligent Writing

Author: gradyharp from United States
25 June 2012

A new series launched on HBO with a star-spangled episode 'We just decided to'. As conceived and written by Aaron Sorkin it is a timely, incredibly intelligently written show populated with some of our best seasoned actors as well as some very fine actors on the way up. This is the kind of television that reminds us that at one time the news programs informed us about current events and ran a continuing commentary on the development of events in this country and around the world in a manner that kept us alerted of why we as a nation needed to remain alert to both good and bad events, to celebrate when indicated and to fight back when injustices were occurring. This direction is indicated in the background imagery for the titles – running glimpses of the likes of Walter Cronkite, Edward R Murrow, Huntley/Brinkley etc who were responsible news anchors instead of the flippant celebrities more concerned with ratings of their show than the news we see today.

The first episode opens with popular news anchor Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels who proves his acting chops here) being interviewed on a college campus and responds to a student question 'Why is America the greatest country' by answering 'We're not. We used to be' and then runs us past our history of reportage on television that proves that the country has fallen in world view because we no longer care about our initial basic rites an freedoms and concern for humanity. It is a powerful start with some of the most gut-wrenching insightful history of this country that has been written for television.

From there, McAvoy returns to his station to find a support team missing and a replacement named. But enter an old flame, the war correspondent fatigued Mackenzie MacHale (Emily Mortimer, never more brilliant) who has been assigned Will's new Executive Producer and in the midst of many changes the new arrangement (not a popular one for Will) evolves into a return to actual news reporting of the significant type – all over the 2010 BP oil explosion and spill that threatened the Gulf of Mexico. It is raw, real, factual, and immediate news delivered with veracity and commitment.

Greg Mottola directs with keen precision, allowing moments of comic relief to be present if subtle and keeps the momentum of the show propelling smoothly. The cast of superb actors includes John Gallagher, Jr. (brilliant), Dev Patel, Allison Pill, Sam Waterston (never better), Thomas Sadoski, Chris Chalk, Trieu Tran, Charlie Weirauch, Margaret Judson, Olivia Munn, Adina Porter – and more. A more talented and committed cast would be hard to imagine. THIS is the kind of television series we so very sorely need right now. It is refreshingly free of the usual clatter and gimmicks that clutter the airways, and it s full of information and food for thought delivered in an entertaining manner. And this is only Episode 1!

Grady Harp

Sensational!

Author: steph_jt
25 June 2012

I've been waiting for what seems like forever for a top notch show to present itself, and I truly feel this is it. To say the first show was riveting is a gross understatement. As a news show, this fictitious newsroom had me planted on the edge of my seat, and when things finally got going, I found myself fidgeting and wide-eyed waiting for what came next. I have to say the leads in this show have amazing chemistry, the sort of chemistry that usually takes several shows to develop, yet here it was, in spades no less. It's easy to believe that I'm overstating this, but I truly believe this show has the potential for greatness, and believe me, I'm normally a fairly harsh critic, but in this case I feel completely justified in touting this as the next great show. There's some great social commentary on offer here, while not exactly new, it's offered up in a far more palatable fashion than the usual polarised and emotional manner. Needless to say, I implore all to watch this first episode, as it was so good, it could have been stretched another 30 minutes to become a great movie. The fact that we get more, is the icing on the cake. I can only hope the writers can keep producing scripts near the same level as this one. 5 stars, or 10 out of 10. Watch it!

Fantastic start

Author: Harmeet Brign from Canada
25 June 2012

I watch a lot of TV shows and I have to say that The Newroom has impressed. Quick witted, fast paced and dealing with issues that exist in American news coverage and to some extent beyond. The main characters were engaging and their interactions into the future will be interesting to see as well.

What I really enjoyed was the exploration of what news reporting really is and how reporters should act when in the pursuit of a story, as well as what stories are relevant. Though not explicitly stated it brings to mind the image of a reporter who is actually unbiased and unafraid to go after the truth. The first episode covered the events of the BP oil spill in 2010. I look forward to the coverage of other major news events from this inside perspective as well.

Definitely recommend it as a show to see. I hope it continues on in the same vein.

Hot new show

Author: mjorgensen62-40-114257 from United States
24 June 2012

THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING SHOW I HAVE SEEN ON T.V. SINCE "THE WEST WING."

I used TWW because, yes, this too is an Aaron Sorkin tour-de-force.

Imagine your most idealized concept of how news SHOULD be reported. Now, imagine any news service (network or cable) who would actually report the news. Now, put someone in charge who will clean house and hire people who will actually do their jobs, without regard to ratings or demographics.

Aw, forget it. That only happens on T.V. Usually HBO. Wait!! This IS HBO!! And, when that oil rig in the gulf blows out, only a couple of people see the true potential of the consequences of that explosion. And they just happen to be well-connected enough to get on-the-record statements from people who are in positions to know what they're talking about. Like the people who would become known to all of us soon while the greatest oil spill in history gets out of control, but also gets spun to everyone's benefit.

But this show is NOT about the spill. It's about a group of highly- qualified people coming together to produce a news show that actually dispenses NEWS. I have great hope for future episodes. I even watched this first episode twice. Great show.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]