IMDb > "Atop the Fourth Wall" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Atop the Fourth Wall" More at IMDbPro »

One of the best internet review shows out there

Author: fire1992 from United States
8 December 2012

I find the character Linkara to me extremely entertaining, and very funny. He is one of the most talented reviewers I've seen. He hooked me, someone who reads one or two comics per year, into a show all about comics that suck. His reviews tend to be more analytic than comedy. The show laughs at the bad qualities of the comics, while Linkara also talks about why this comic doesn't work for him. He gets worked up about the particularly bad ones, but to me that's part of the comedy, seeing a guy get angry over a stupid comic. But, part of the anger is real. He really enjoys comics, so, understandably, it annoys him when bad comics are made.

The story lines of the show itself are rather awesome. Lewis has to spend a lot of time thinking thinking them up. They always are a nice addition to a review, such as my favorite storyline (which extended from "Kamandi At Earth" to "Pokemon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu"). The story had a Halloween-mystery theme to it that I enjoyed. The AT4W plots are not necessary to enjoy the individual reviews, but they are an interesting and fun extra.

All in all, it's a great show. Of course there's a few episodes that I don't like, but I enjoy an overwhelming majority of the episodes. Personally, I find the episodes reviewing PSA comics the best. If you're interested, I recommend the month of May 2012 reviews, since he devoted it completely to PSA comics.

A Very Mixed Bag

Author: MoonbaseBeta
5 October 2011

Atop the Fourth Wall is a comic book review/comedy series and despite some enjoyable episodes, it's quite a flawed one. The main problem lies in the fact that, although the show is essentially a Rifftrax of a comic book, Mr. Lovhaug himself isn't a comedian, or particularly skilled at writing jokes. He is a comic book fan, and if the show were in a more straight forward reviewing style (as opposed to the MST3K/Nostalgia Critic format) it would work really well. When Linkara (the character portrayed by Lewis Lovhaug in the series) gives insight into the comic book of the week and its themes, flaws, artwork, and other aspects, it's quite interesting. However, mostly we're stuck with a very hit or miss sarcastic commentary which rips apart the comic book on a shallow, unfair level, with embarrassingly easy-to-make and unfunny jokes. Also there are his abysmal "story-lines", which are very stupid and pointless (not to mention taken far too seriously by Mr. Lovhaug and some of his viewers), and sometimes will overshadow videos for weeks on end. That said, there are quite a few entertaining episodes. For instance, certain comic books that feature on the show are so bad (entertainingly so) that the review practically writes itself and the end result is quite funny (example: Brain Drain; I don't want to spoil it; just watch for yourself). Other fun episodes include his crossovers with Spoony (The Ultimate Warrior reviews) and The Cinema Snob (Bimbos BC and Manimal), the episodes featuring Harvey Finevoice, and some interesting top 10s. Overall, I'd say check out the series for its better episodes, but be wary of the terrible jokes and inane plots that are worked into it at times.

Meticulous, interesting and often hilarious.

Author: arcapello from United Kingdom
14 May 2014

I have read very few comic books in my life. This is mainly because the comic and it's heroes must, with exceptions I am sure, continue on forever.

As new generations of fans keep coming along and with most veteran writers not wanting to repeat themselves and the character being passed along from writer to writer the characters will often exist only as physical shells as their personalities, their powers and even their stories and lives are inconsistent to the point where only the name and sometimes their face are recognisable.

Because of this comic book fans can find the names of the writers and artists very easily, usually, should they find a writer or artist that represents these characters the best... or worst.

Atop The Fourth Wall comes in.

Lewis Lovhaug plays his own character called Linkara. I was extremely sceptical about this - how does somebody act like a reviewer? Does the writer write their own thoughts on something or do they make them up for the character? I would rather have an honest opinion.

I was reminded at this stage by my own usernames in the various forums I have been a part of over the years and that, even though I have made up my name and certainly have not put a face to my words it was still myself speaking. I might not act quite the same since I am in a different social environment but I am still me.

Luckily for myself Linkara does not seem to have much of a character; I do not mean to say that Linkara is boring I simply mean that Linkara, for the review, is mostly Lewis. Linkara's story is often told through a video series that plays after the credits at the end of an episode, you can choose whether or not you would like to follow the story of Linkara.

I am not interested in the character in my honest opinion however, the story of Linkara is a popular element of the show. I can not tell you if the story is well written or not since I have not followed it. I can say it will not ruin your experience if you choose not to be involved. Suffice to say, for me, Linkara himself does not hold any weight with the only exception being that I do love to see the consistent costumes and sets - it really makes you feel like Lewis is putting on a show.

Now I have addressed Linkara I will address the show.

Lewis manages to find, or is sent, some of the most obscure, obscene, confusing, annoying, hilarious, facetious and awful stories that you can imagine exist; this works in the opposite way to reality in a very general sense: the worst the comic the better the review. Buried by their obscurity; often helped by age, exists a treasure trove of stories that you will never have been able to come across otherwise.

Lewis's examination of these stories is thorough. Through him you will see the stories as the characters themselves would but with a far wider view of the world. As Lewis reviews you will likely be relieved that all the problems you used to notice, big or small, are a problem for other people as well.

You will be given a unique perspective on some very unique situations. Lewis will notice things that make you laugh, make you angry and you will find yourself noticing something you would have not have found on your own. The depth and interest Lewis pays to the material is often impressive.

Lewis is able to step back and think about consistency as well as context and seemingly cares more about the story than the writers themselves did, taking it in whilst remaining critical and interested.

I agree that Lewis is not a comedian yet he is hilarious. Lewis's meticulous review style will throw you into these stories first hand and you will often find yourself laughing at his criticism of the problems as they occur as his voice and wording suggests to you the level of absurdity. Lewis is first to point out irony and inconsistency and put it in a context that is, itself, hilarious. Lewis uses the story and characters and approaches them with a clear mind as he lets them make fun of themselves and fall apart before his eyes.

This is not to say that Lewis does not write jokes but his biggest strength relies on your immersion in the characters and story. Lewis is armed with a library of appropriate and hilarious video and music responses to about anything that can happen. You often wonder how he can remember where to find each of these lines in the heaps of seasons and episodes he must have to dig through.

Lewis also has a great stage presence. Even though he will act out a lot of emotions for comic effect you never get the impression he is desperate for laughs, Lewis seems to really enjoy himself whether he is, ironically, suffering through dismal comic or laughing his way through a fun one. Lewis even voices all of the dialogue in fitting voices that he'll remember and assign to that character or type of character should they turn up again.

Overall Atop The Forth Wall is a show you should really experience, I dare say, especially if you are not a fan of comic books because you will not be prepared for what you'll see in these stories.

I have found so little wrong with my experience of the show that I have to give it an 8/10. I can not rate it higher because I have not gotten involved in Linkara's story and I have not ever found a perfect show. With this, though, you'll wonder if it could get much more professional.