IMDb > "Atop the Fourth Wall" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Atop the Fourth Wall" More at IMDbPro »

One of the best internet review shows out there

Author: fire1992 from United States
8 December 2012

I find the character Linkara to me extremely entertaining, and very funny. He is one of the most talented reviewers I've seen. He hooked me, someone who reads one or two comics per year, into a show all about comics that suck. His reviews tend to be more analytic than comedy. The show laughs at the bad qualities of the comics, while Linkara also talks about why this comic doesn't work for him. He gets worked up about the particularly bad ones, but to me that's part of the comedy, seeing a guy get angry over a stupid comic. But, part of the anger is real. He really enjoys comics, so, understandably, it annoys him when bad comics are made.

The story lines of the show itself are rather awesome. Lewis has to spend a lot of time thinking thinking them up. They always are a nice addition to a review, such as my favorite storyline (which extended from "Kamandi At Earth" to "Pokemon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu"). The story had a Halloween-mystery theme to it that I enjoyed. The AT4W plots are not necessary to enjoy the individual reviews, but they are an interesting and fun extra.

All in all, it's a great show. Of course there's a few episodes that I don't like, but I enjoy an overwhelming majority of the episodes. Personally, I find the episodes reviewing PSA comics the best. If you're interested, I recommend the month of May 2012 reviews, since he devoted it completely to PSA comics.

A Very Mixed Bag

Author: MoonbaseBeta
5 October 2011

Atop the Fourth Wall is a comic book review/comedy series and despite some enjoyable episodes, it's quite a flawed one. The main problem lies in the fact that, although the show is essentially a Rifftrax of a comic book, Mr. Lovhaug himself isn't a comedian, or particularly skilled at writing jokes. He is a comic book fan, and if the show were in a more straight forward reviewing style (as opposed to the MST3K/Nostalgia Critic format) it would work really well. When Linkara (the character portrayed by Lewis Lovhaug in the series) gives insight into the comic book of the week and its themes, flaws, artwork, and other aspects, it's quite interesting. However, mostly we're stuck with a very hit or miss sarcastic commentary which rips apart the comic book on a shallow, unfair level, with embarrassingly easy-to-make and unfunny jokes. Also there are his abysmal "story-lines", which are very stupid and pointless (not to mention taken far too seriously by Mr. Lovhaug and some of his viewers), and sometimes will overshadow videos for weeks on end. That said, there are quite a few entertaining episodes. For instance, certain comic books that feature on the show are so bad (entertainingly so) that the review practically writes itself and the end result is quite funny (example: Brain Drain; I don't want to spoil it; just watch for yourself). Other fun episodes include his crossovers with Spoony (The Ultimate Warrior reviews) and The Cinema Snob (Bimbos BC and Manimal), the episodes featuring Harvey Finevoice, and some interesting top 10s. Overall, I'd say check out the series for its better episodes, but be wary of the terrible jokes and inane plots that are worked into it at times.