IMDb > "Jessie" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jessie"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jessie" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

This Show is Horrible

Author: titus227 from Seattle, Washington
4 February 2012

This is a terrible show. The acting is poor, plots are poor, and there isn't any consistency at all. Just take the basics - Jessie earns a living as a nanny to the three spoiled bratty kids these rich people have adopted to show how supportive they are of cultural diversity (a la Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt). However, they are left, most of the time, with Bertrum ( the butler) or completely by themselves; she rarely watches them at all.

Jessie - usually out chasing boys and treating her employers like her friends or family. Completely unprofessional, and the parents seem to be gone all the time only showing up occasionally, usually inexplicably wearing formal wear as if they were just about to go to a charity ball or something. She shirks her responsibilities constantly and teaches youth to be lazy, aloof, undependable, deceitful, disrespectful, dress in manners that compromise their personal integrity, etc.

The Indian kid is completely unbelievable as he is about 8 years old and for whatever reason, he acts like he is some sort of Junior Dhali Llama that knows all the factual and statistical information about India that is available. It's just ridiculous, the kid has obviously never been there or was removed at such an early age that he would have no recollection of the country at all. His character's tendency to 'speak beyond his years' is like a blood-thirsty woodpecker incessantly chipping loudly at my brain.

The little African American girl acts very stereo-typically African American regardless of the fact that everyone around her is white (thus she would not have learned the cultural language and body expressions). Not only is her constant 'attitude' annoying, but it perpetuates this behavior in real life by teaching our youth to behave in such a manner. All of the kids are rebellious and completely undisciplined with absolutely no moral compass to speak of whatsoever. Furthermore, her character often tries to 'act tough' towards everyone else on the show regardless of the fact that she is incredibly weak and totally dependent on those around her to perform even the simplest tasks.

The ugly kid from Mirrors- He regularly overacts on a regular basis and seems to be catering to the idea that over-the-top theatrics, yelling, running, and imitating Kramer = so, so funny. Sadly, this young and unskilled actor is so, so wrong. He often acts in a manner that supports the idea of talking a big game and then running away. Like the other characters in the show, the boy is a coward and a liar and this is just another example of the morally hollow role models Disney Channel is producing. They even have this kid and some other characters perform on the show.

The channel seems to be a huge recruitment factory in order to ensure further cheaply produced entertainment in the future. It's like a grotesque "Children's Lot".

Long story short - Stay away from this show unless you like pain. Mind-numbing pain.

Should have been cancelled a while ago.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
1 March 2014

Jessie is one of those Disney shows that should not have lasted as long as it has. It's extremely unrealistic and while the kids are cute they need an attitude adjustment. This is exactly the type of show where children are learning bad manners and disrespect. They never seem to have that realisation moment that what they did was wrong. And the adults (including Jessie) are just as self-indulged and irresponsible as the kids.

I also think the episodes are getting weaker as the seasons progress. It feels stale and the themes are repeated over and over again. If your looking for a Disney show to entertain you for 20 minutes then pick another one. There are many more that far surpass this bad influence.

Listen up people: Jessie is a great show!!

Author: danieldenekamp from United States
31 January 2015

This show made my teenage years a little less stressful. It was the first show on Disney Channel I enjoyed watching since The Suite Life on Deck, and I stopped enjoying watching that in February or March of 2010. Until about eight months ago, Jessie has never been my #1 show, though I didn't hate it like I did most other Disney shows back in the year it aired (with the only exception being Austin & Ally). Even though I'm a boy, since Emma and I are in the same grade, I can understand the problems she goes through in life. The acting from the kids is really good, and I like that they have Debby Ryan as practically a mentor for this show. I'm 17 now and the show recently started its last season, so thank you Jessie for helping me through my teenage years!

Entertaining for all the wrong reasons

Author: sinaku from United States
2 March 2014

On the surface, the concept of "Jessie" would be the promotion of acceptance of diversity and overcoming prejudice. The setup is that of a rich couple who has adopted children of varying ethnicities, and how they are taken care of by a small-town-girl in a big-city archetype, the titular Jessie.

However, this concept is immediately over-ridden by the show's reliance on stereotypes and the nasty attitudes of many of its characters.

Emma is white, blond, ditzy, and materialistic. Ravi is Indian, teaches Yoga, eats sandwiches made of nothing but bread and hot peppers, and is occasionally the butt of jokes regarding unpronounceable Indian words. Zuri is black, a lazy schemer, who tries to avoid schoolwork and responsibilities. Luke is the only Ross child that doesn't seem to be based on stereotypes, as he is self-confident and honestly a good dancer, and overall, one of the least offensive characters as far as his overall personality is concerned; however, he is incredibly annoying at times.

This is bad enough, and it only gets worse. Many of the jokes revolve around disgust at people's physical traits and the ongoing insults towards various stereotypes. Agatha, a bit character, is continually derided by all characters over her appearance, as she has huge warts on her face and a huge snaggletooth. She is also supposed to be British. Another character, whose name escapes me, is a stereotypical annoying, cloying nerd, and all of the characters constantly point this out when he is around.

Even Jessie, who is supposed to be the authority figure (and who is generally nice and easy on the eyes) is constantly the butt of jokes about how bad her lovelife has apparently been. And, even as the authority figure, she is just as judgmental as the rest of the characters.

Another problem is the almost complete lack of parenting on the show. While the parents do appear from time to time, and it is generally shown in a loving way, it's clear from the average episode that they have almost zero part in their children's lives. So, the obvious nature of the children as tokens racial acceptance is immediately obvious.

Luckily (?) the traditional awful writing and bad acting of Disney Channel shows keeps this show from being as poisonous and vile as it could be, but the simple fact that every episode runs against its intended message is astounding.

Unfortunately, it's also why I keep watching.

"Jessie" is a loving show that uses the same humor of "iCarly" and the same family aspect as "Goodluck Charlie". This is one that's going to be aired for a long time.

Author: Mary Roodnitsky
25 July 2013

Jessie,(Debby Ryan) a small-town girl with big dreams, who moves to New York to pursue a career as an actress. There she meets the loving Ross family after being dumped on the street by a taxi-cab driver after realizing that she had no money to pay him. The Ross'es take her in as a nanny for their four kids. One biological, the other three adopted.

Emma Ross,(Peyton List) the only biological daughter of Christina and Morgan Ross, and is the oldest. She enters high-school in the series, and is faced with many teenage girl problems. She frequently shops around New York, and creates her own fashion web-cast, Kitty Coture, with her best friend Rosie, a girl who lives in the Bronx.

Luke Ross,(Cameron Boyce)was adopted from Detroit at the age of five, now 13, and is the typical "ladies man" who often flirts with Jessie. He isn't the brightest, but claims "his freckles make up for it". A similar character from a different show would have to be Zack, from the Suite Life on Deck. Luke is frequently pranking people, and is shown to have a distaste for caring for his own personal hygiene. A soft side to him is shown when he will refuse to stay overnight at a sleep-over, instead coming home to his stuffed bear, Kenny the Koala.

Ravi Ross, (Karan Brar)is the most recent addition to the family, being adopted from India at the age of 11, a month prior to the start of the show. He brings with him a monitor lizard, Mr. Kipling, his only friend from India. Ravi is a small kid, and he is very intelligent. Whenever Luke attempts to prank him, he finds a way to reverse the prank, pranking Luke back in the process. This is shown in the episode "Used Karma". Ravi is however the sweetest of the Ross children, getting in the least amount of trouble.

Zuri Ross, (Skai Jackson) is an eight year-old girl adopted from Uganda as an infant. She is often playing with imaginary friends, and has a friend named Stuart. He is often flirting with her, and even plasters her door in pictures of the two, calling themselves "Zuart". Zuri is very spunky, and is a pretty stereotypical African American girl.

Bertram Winkle, (Kevin Chamberlin) is the last protagonist of the Ross family. He has been the butler for many years, and doesn't really like any of the kids. Occasionally, he will watch cooking shows with Emma, whom he will often side with. He is also very lazy, and when asked to do something, he will dangle his hand and say, "It's too far.". However, whenever Christina or Morgan are home, he does his job very well.

Together, the characters have many adventures, and every episode we find out reasons for who they are. As a family, they all care for each other, and often do things together. Before Jessie, they had many revolving nannies, none staying for long. Jessie however is liked by all of them, and she too grows to care for all of the children.

Jessie is no doubt a Disney show that'll be on for several more seasons. They often have a moral that is implied, but never said. The kids are all great actors, and I hope Disney will keep this show on for many more adventures with the Ross kids.

Good show for all ages!

Author: yoenis_cespedis from United States
8 January 2013

Filled with magic and entertainment, Jessie is one of the better Disney shows currently airing. All of the actors/actresses are lovable and very talented. Debby Ryan does really well depicting a 18 year old nanny who is not only trying to figure her own life out but also teaching and influencing the Ross children. In addition, all of the characters are unique. Yes it is true that they seem to fill a stereotype. Zuri appears to be the sassy African American girl. Luke is the player boy who has bad hygiene. Emma is the ditsy blonde girl who seems only to be into fashion. Ravi is the typical Indian character with the accent. These are facts. But the way all of the character fit together makes the show great. As individuals, each are not interesting but together they create a situation that is both enchanting and enduring. The jokes are also humorous. As a person outside of the demographic I found that some of the jokes were for people of my age and other jokes were for kids. I think this is a good thing (to blend comedic elements). I have watched many Disney sitcoms and I firmly believe Jessie is one of the better ones.

A huge success, especially after the Suite Life

Author: Mel209 from Canada
10 December 2011

So far I love this show! I used to like the Suite Life, but after its ending, I found this show was an even better replacement. So much better than awkward sitcoms from the past (such as Hannah Montana) and it is definitely geared for older teens since its main character is 18. Being 18 myself I find that the jokes are still G-rated, but just on the edge enough that young adults can fill in the blanks of the jokes (and they're actually funny believe it or not). I also think it is so much better than other sitcoms Disney channel is currently spewing out such as "Mr.Young" or "Kickin' It" as those shows are geared for preteens, have actors that are not very good, and they're not funny at all. If you're looking for the show that the Disney Channel should be clinging on to, it's Jessie. I hope it stays on air for a long time. Highly Recommended for pretty much all ages :)

Jessie has a really appropriate content for kids all ages!

Author: srsin54 from United Kingdom
26 December 2012

Jessie is much better that Good Luck Charlie, ICarly, Suite Life On Deck, Austin and Ally and Shake It Up. I can't believe some people actually dislike Jessie! Zuri is really cute and funny. But if Luke wouldn't over-react, and if Emma wouldn't rely on Leperd Beat Magazine, I would of rated this show 10. Otherwise Jessie is really good. 9 OUT 0F 10! I like Ravi because he is so enthusiastic. Bertrum makes me laugh because in one episode he said... "Here we go, dinner is served. Frog legs with a bitter taste of worms. I'm only kidding, it's chicken... Maybe!" He cracks me up! Ha! Jessie meeting Agatha really made the series much better. With Nanny Agatha in the series, it makes it funnier and more annoying. But annoying is what the watchers want... Isn't it? This is a reviewer commenting on Jessie, a new TV series on the Disney Channel!

Bad Reviews...Think Again.

Author: jagsports01
19 June 2012

Disney Channel's show Jessie is by far one of my favorite shows. It is very funny, and has a lot f great acting. It is very clever and has a brand new amazing storyline's every new episode. Debby Ryan, Skai Jackson, Peyton List, Karan Brar, Cameron Boyce, and Kevin Chamberlin all did fantastic acting. All of these bad reviews are all full of lies. They probably haven't watched a whole episode, and watched a preview. Funny, thrilling, and more! Watch Disney Channels original show Jessie, with amazing acting, stories, and laughs! After all, the best actress/actor is Debby Ryan, and I'm not saying that because she is the main main character, but she is funny and caring to all of the people on set. Jessie everyone!

Excellent! Extremely funny show - even for adults!!

Author: jewel_48192_2000 from Wyandotte, mi
4 January 2015

My niece left my house and the show was still on the TV.. I found myself still watching it, even though my niece was already gone. I couldn't believe how funny a kid's show was but I found myself watching a couple episodes until I gave in and looked for it on Netflix. As a 35 year old woman, I actually dig this show! Debby Ryan is so funny as Jessie. Sure, it is a bit unrealistic at times, but IT IS A KID'S SHOW for crying out loud. I doubt it will ever win an Emmy, but it is a funny, feel-good show that deserves a lot more recognition. I am so glad I discovered this show. America needs a lot more shows like this..on primetime TV instead of all the garbage thats out now. Less TEEN MOM and Honey Boo Boo and more JESSIE!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]