Bad Kids Go to Hell (2012) Poster

23 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
An OK funny movie
dawulf18 January 2013
Watched this the other night and played a fun game while doing it. It's called " find all the Breakfast club references". First one is free and that's Judd Nelson. This is not a horror movie to scare you but it is funny...the incredible bad luck of the one kid is hilarious and sad! The athlete's death is rather funny. A good portion of the movie, mainly the characters' personality quirks, and the motivation behind it all are predictable..after about 15 minutes I was already calling out keys points to the plot. It was that obvious. But overall the movie is fun.I wouldn't watch it again but wasn't unhappy that I saw it once either. Last five minutes are interesting.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow
dinosaur_man20026 August 2012
Such an homage to the breakfast club and its great that Judd Nelson plays the principal. The acting is great you can't help but hate the kids. I really could not stand Amanda Alch's and Marc Donato's character by the end which is great acting on his part. I felt bad for Ali Faulkner's and Cameron Stewart's characters. It reminded me about high school and the school I teach at specifically some of the teachers I have to work with. It is always about cliques. Overall it is a great movie, I would have recommended seeing it. The acting from the young stars is fantastic, and all have a bright future. Adding Judd Nelson to the cast is sheer irony and added to the movie. I can't wait until it is wide release.
21 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Okay at best
SanteeFats29 September 2013
It is not that bad a movie but it is not that good either. Six kids stuck in detention at an elite school. One by one they start to die. Who is responsible? The ghost of the Indian whose house was taken over by eminent domain so the school could expand? The last student standing, the one with the axe? Seems like all the students have a dark something to hide. Dr. Day, the school shrink, is really weird, well outside the usual standards for such a character. Then again this is not that good a movie so who cares. Where do all the bugs come from in such an expensive school, the ghost? A little racism shows up when the juvie kid tells the black kid he would have been hung if he had been in the same place. It turns out that juvie kid actually seems to try to keep things together but of course he can't keep the privileged over pampered kids of the rich and powerful from doing stupid egotistical stuff. As their numbers decline the paranoia and fear increases. When it turns out that the perpetrators are the school shrink and his doxy I admit I was surprised. What I don't understand is why Rainwater's heir sets up the juvie kid, he was innocent.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thriller that had me on edge of seat until the end. Great acting and Really Funny.
nicholascarlton228 October 2012
I saw the movie at a special exclusive "Hell Night" screening on October 27 at one of the Studio Movie Grill locations that must have signed a deal to get an exclusive to show it in advance of the theatrical release date of December 7. I knew Judd Nelson was in it and I also knew that it had a really cool title. I'm not a comic book fan, but knew it was based on a really popular comic book series. I really didn't know what to expect. But, I'm so glad I went. It had my friends and me on the edge of our seats until the very unexpected ending (stay for credits). The acting was superb and not just from Judd Nelson and Ben Browder. The "Bad Kids" were cast exceptionally well. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of them in the future. And one of the most surprising talents was Jeffrey Schmidt, who played Dr. Day and until I saw the movie, I hadn't heard anything about him. His quirky character was hilarious, as were any of the unexpected music video style flashback scenes that had the whole audience laughing out loud. This is definitely one of those movies that you'll want to see with others. My friends and I left the movie not just quoting some funny memorable lines, but also asking questions about how some of the issues the movie addresses are really relevant to society today, especially in respect to young kids and their sense of entitlement. This movie is rated R. But I'd recommend it for teenagers and their parents. Go see this movie!
20 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Teenage Murder Mystery with Plenty of Gore
Film Watchin Fool25 July 2013
Watch this if...you enjoy murder-mystery films with some gore and teenage drama mixed in.

Acting/Casting: 5.5* - The acting is solid in some of the cast (Browder, Duke) and questionable and bad in some of the others (Edwards), which results in an average score to me. I've seen much worse in this genre and in this case it doesn't take away from the movie at all.

Directing/Cinematography/Technical: 6* - I will admit that the movie was confusing at times, but it had a pretty nice pace to it. It keeps the viewer engaged and the lighting and gore is done fairly well. A pretty good job done by Matthew Spradlin and his crew.

Plot/Characters: 4.5* - A group of students get locked in a library for detention and people begin to die after the group solicit ancient ghosts. This is a murder/mystery type story that isn't extremely well put together and at many points is hard to follow and hard to believe.

Entertainment Value: 5.5* - It was a fairly entertaining watch for a slow Sunday afternoon, but I don't think I will be watching the movie again. I also wouldn't tell anyone to go out of their way to see it, but it is an okay film.

My Score: 5.5+6+4.5+5.5 = 21.5/4 = 5.375

Email your thoughts to filmwatchinfool@gmail.com
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyed More Than I Thought I Would
Ani Blyth26 January 2013
Having read the novels (of the graphic variety), I felt obliged to give the film a try. The trailers are not entirely representative of what the film or the original story was, I will warn you. I will also confess, I know the 8 out of 10 to be generous, but I do it to balance out a few of the more critical reviews. This film is what it is; comedy horror done in a very stylized manner. The acting leaves a bit to be desired. Judd Nelson, I will say, puts in a decent performance for the material he was given - his inclusion being a nod to the original "club" imagined differently.

In short, it won't kill you to give this a try if you have the chance. Should make you smile more than once, which is more than I can say for some horror comedy I've seen.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good dark comedy
unsafefilms10 December 2012
I saw this on opening weekend and found it to be quite entertaining. The acting was above average, and the story reminded me of "Heathers". It was funny, and had some pretty nice eye candy. However, it was not perfect, (very few are), and if I had a major complaint, it would be that the sexy Chanel Ryan was totally underutilized. I thought her character could have, and should have been fleshed out a little more. Hopefully if there is a sequel, she will have a bigger role. Also, the Megan character was killed off too soon. I would have preferred that the the jock character had been killed off sooner. He was not a very strong character. That is really about all I can say, I just want to reiterate that I did however enjoy the film.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More like "The Breakfast Club" meets "Detention". Below average!
This movie is toted as "The Breakfast Club" meets "The Grudge". Thats not what this is. Its more like "The Breakfast Club" meets "Detention". In my opinion this movie is quite below average. Although the plot is revealed over the course of the film it left me feeling that they could have done more. The performances were average I guess (I've seen worse) and the effects were not that bad, but again I've seen better. It was your typical teen "horror" film with the gratuitous boob shot, it has a lot of clichés, but I do have to admit there were a couple of comedic moments in it too. I didn't go in to watching this movie with high hopes, and I'm glad I didn't as it was (as I said earlier) below average. For me it was something to have on in the background because there was nothing on TV. So all I can give this movie is a 2 out of 10.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I still like Ben Browder, but hope never to see the other actors again.
suite927 October 2013
Crestview Academy is a private school for upper crust brats. The film starts with the beginning of an eight-hour detention for six very entitled scumbag teenagers. Dr. Day locks them in, but not before Veronica poisons him (ongoing vomiting, perhaps not death). Within twenty minutes I was ready for all these useless bastards to be slaughtered. That's what I call successful writing.

Megan dies first from the inability to find her ventilator while under the stress of a séance.

They try to escape; they try to explain the recurrence of large roaches. They end up in round upon round of recriminations against one another, anti-enforced by flashbacks.

The adults are clueless; why don't they pull the plug on the bad behavior? Why not have the perpetrators arrested? Turn off the electricity to the sound system at events? There are ways to assert control non-violently. Even good old expulsion comes to mind.

After firing bullets at the bookcases to soothe his conscience, Craig Cook gets a nice piece of steel through his thorax. Nice.

Tricia assaults Matt Clark with a nail gun, but does not kill him.

Someone kills Veronica with a shard of glass, only it was a fake out. She was in alliance with Dr. Day, or so she thought.

In a last reversal of expectations, only Matt is left standing, and the cops pick that instant to enter the detention room. The cops immediately taser him, then muzzle him. Max explains what really happened, knowing Matt will never be able to credibly repeat it.

------Scores------

Cinematography: 7/10 OK, but little was done to disguise the bad casting.

Sound: 2/10 Unforgivable. Whoever mixed the sound did a bad job. The rotten music was set down much louder than the conversational tracks. To hear the conversations, I have to crank up to 50; to avoid blowing out my ears while the useless, irritating 'music' is on, I need to drop it down to 10. Ridiculously bad. The incompetence extends into the credits.

Acting: 0/10 Bad, except for Ben Browder. Judd Nelson might as well have phoned in his performance. You'd think actors in their twenties could do better jobs at playing teenagers. Amanda Alch (23), Mark Donato (24), Roger Edwards (32), and Ali Faulkner (over 22, probably by a lot) were the actors for whom I could find ages. Those may be their stated ages, but they look even older. Augie Duke looked about 40 in a closeup; searching on the net suggested she's 27. I think real teenagers could do a better job than this crew of non-actors. The extras were uniformly terrible.

Screenplay: 4/10 The rotten non-teenagers do get good and dead. On the other hand, the sequencing of current time versus endless flashbacks was poor. On the whole, this was a muddled piece of nonsense.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly Good
Mattie Nyte10 May 2013
I was up late with nothing to do so I picked a random movie on Netflix.

The name and the summary led me to believe it wasn't going to be anything special. I was very mistaken.

It really is a Breakfast Club(Halloween Version). Very tricky. Every other part a secret was revealed. Some easy to guess, others had me baffled.

Acting was great! Filming was good!

Ending is CRAZY! Didn't see it coming. Be ready to be shocked. =) Some parts are sad, funny, scary, and cool. It has it all wrapped in one. Just no love! But what's love go to do with it. ;)

-Mattie Nyte-