IMDb > "Bar Rescue" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Bar Rescue" More at IMDbPro »

Highly entertaining

Author: JoePaLives from United States
4 September 2011

My wife and I love Bar Rescue! John Taffer is really intriguing to watch work, and his interactions with the bar managers and staff range from cringe-worthy to hilarious to touching.

It's really cool to get some behind-the-scenes looks at why certain things in successful bars work too (such as menu placement, seating, and drink specials).

The show does seem a tad contrived at times, but doesn't every reality TV show?

Bottom line: Bar Rescue is awesome, check it out! I can think of several local bars near me that are in desperate need of a "rescue" by John and his team.

Great Show - Taffer is Incredibly and Refreshingly Blunt

Author: BobbyG from Tampa, FL
19 February 2013

This is a very interesting look at the competitive bar and restaurant business. Host Taffer pulls no punches with his incredibly blunt assessments which can make viewers cringe at times, but creates a lot of interesting reactions from the owners, managers and employees being berated. He never fails to blurt out, "this is the worst I've ever seen" about something in the business he's trying to turn around.

Although a lot of the show is scripted and contrived, it still pulls you in and keeps you watching. You may have a hard time eating out after seeing the deplorable condition of some of the kitchens. The only suggestion I would make is that they provide more detailed numbers as far as revenues and profits in all of the episodes. There is some of this, but it didn't occur in all the episodes I observed.

A Good TV Series

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
19 August 2012

I first heard of this TV series watching World's Wildest Police Videos on Spike TV. Then, I watched this show. Here's the premise: Jon Taffer is a night-life expert who helps failing bars and restaurants on the brink of going broke. Some bars are willing to accept Jon Taffer's help but some will never, ever listen. I think the bar that's unlikely to listen is the Piratz Tavern. Heck, I've heard on the Yelp reviews that Piratz Tavern has crappy food and poor service(Too bad I never found the review Jon Taffer read on the Piratz Tavern episode). Well, I guess they'll never survive the Modern Corporate World of Silver Spring, Maryland. But anyway, I think this is a good show.

Showing the bad side of bad bars

Author: zerosaviour from United States
29 July 2012

Love seeing how they expose why certain bars fail while others succeed.

Everything John says is pretty much spot on. I watched a marathon of it today and couldn't stop watching due to the fact that it just sucked me into it. I wanted to know what new disaster would happen and who was gonna step up to fix it.

If you love shows where you see the bad side of restaurants and bars, then this is the show for you. This show will change your opinion on what good bar service should be. I love that they bring in world class chefs and mixologist to actually bring everything up to par at the bars.

One of the biggest and most shocking aspects to me was just showing how filthy a lot of these places were.

I can't wait for season two and dealing with the Pirate bar and Tiki bar. Both appear to be train wrecks awaiting to happen.

Bar Rescue make me see where my bar went bad back in the 90's.

Author: djadrianleigh from United States
10 April 2013

Ever since I discovered Bar Rescue on Spike I watch it every time I can. John Taffer can be a hard headed S.O.B. but in the business of bar owning and operating you got to be damn near a General leading his troops into war against other Bars, Clubs, Pubs and All Night Spots. I used to work for a pub called Jenro's Classic Pub back in the mid to late 1990's. The owner boss and friend of mine Mike Lambaiso had the right idea but failed in a lot of other areas. What he got right was catering to the neighborhood the Pub was located in. A combination of Blue Collar, Armed Forces, and once in a great long while a few White Collar Corporate Types but not that many. Where he failed was not upgrading equipment and also not targeting younger hipper people with money. I worked every corner of the building. Bouncer, Barback, Doorman, Floater, House DJ, Kitchen Helper, Kitchen Cook when there was no cook, and Waiter if need be. Last position I held was outdoor Patio Bartender. I wish Bar Rescue had been around in 99 when the bar failed and was limping weakly towards 2000 when the name changed to Jenro's 2000. FAIL !!!! We had been booking bands and their friends and fans got too rowdy and out of control to the point of bar room brawl with bloodshed. I was the man who had the duty of calling 911 more than once and cleaned all the blood off the dance floor. We also had thieving Manager named Linda who was robbing the owner and customers blind deliberately. She finally quit when in August 99 she and the owner Mike had to work together behind the main bar. Talk about 2 Raging Bulls in a pin and he caught her more than once stealing from customers change and shoving it in her purse. She did her count out after work and left on an "F U Mike". Afterwards in September through October people she chased off started coming back but it was too little too late and Mike sold out in November 99 and Jenro's was history.

Excellently Planned and Executed

Author: weatherluvr1212 from United States
13 April 2014

This show on Spike is one of those shows that I will gladly watch reruns. Jon Taffer is an expert in the field and he consistently brings in the best experts for the bar/restaurant. I always love how hard Taffer goes down on the owners like a drill sergeant in the Marines. A lot of reviews stay that 90% of this show is staged, but I would change that number to about 20%. If you watch to the end of the credits, they list all the places that provided equipment/supplies for the remodel of the bar. The producers pay for the cost, almost like "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition". There is a lot of time compression, but what reality show does not have this? Overall, this show is an excellent one and I love watching it whenever it is on.

Great Show but parts are unrealistic

Author: Gary McElroy from United States
22 September 2013

I love watching Taffer and his "professionals" turn a bar around to be successful but I really find it hard to take when the do their "stress test" by letting in 100-200 people and then complain when the wait times are more than 20 minutes. What the heck do they expect? If you give the average drink order 3 minutes from the time that a patron at a table orders until the receive their drinks then it is going to take 20-30 minutes to get all of them served. I agree that things like name changes are though of in advance. Permits for things like electrical, plumbing, and structural don't happen that fast. One last thing, how does Jon expect to gain the owner's respect when he yells at them in front of bar patrons.

Some annoying fakery... but also some genuine interest

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
30 August 2012

It doesn't take long with watching an episode of "Bar Rescue" that the events we are seeing are being highly manipulated - sometimes to the point of blatant fakery. "Conversations" between people are edited from multiple camera angles, showing that these sequences were shot several times and edited together. Time seems also to be compressed to a ridiculous point. For example, I may not be an expert on business, but I know you can't change the name of your business overnight! Also, there are some very nagging questions, like: Just who is paying for all these bar renovations, especially since the bar owners seem to be broke the majority of the time?

Yet despite these and other manipulation touches, the show remains interesting. For one thing, the show manages to show the many ways that a bar can fail, and why. This may sound boring, but it's actually pretty interesting. Also, we get to see what touches can make a bar successful, from menu design to interior decoration. This is interesting as well. So despite the annoying fakery here, the show does have genuine interest.