IMDb > Barricade (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Barricade

Barricade More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Familiar territory with a few unusual elements...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
1 September 2015

Widower dad Eric McCormack, nervous and self-conscious about his ability to raise his two preteens by himself, takes the youngsters into the Colorado mountains for a vacation at a cabin once owned by his deceased wife's father. Combination ghost story/mental breakdown scare-flick pretty much scuttled by confused, jumbled screenplay, full of dead ends. Small cast also includes two child actors who are utterly flat, and Donnelly Rhodes as a weathered sheriff with a bad cough. McCormack gives it a try, but there's no character for him to play, and his constant running from room to room grows wearisome (and negates any suspense in the scenario). Andrew Currie is responsible for the mediocre direction, from a thin, derivative script by Michaelbrent Collings. There's really only one well-directed sequence in the picture: a flashback to the wife's death. Genre entry shows potential as a jittery, who's in the house-type thriller, but results are ultimately tepid. *1/2 from ****

Weak Follow-Up

Author: gavin6942 from United States
31 October 2014

A father's quiet retreat to the woods with his two children turns into a fight for survival.

Director Andrew Currie studied under Norman Jewison and wowed horror fans with his film "Fido", which mixed George Romero and Jacques Tourneur, with a dash of humor. This time around he does not quite reach that same level. Although he has some modest star power (Eric McCormack of "Will and Grace") leading the way, it may not matter.

While there is obviously decent production value and nice use of color (the tints and shadows make the cold just a little bit colder), something seems off and caused this one to go under the radar and be quickly forgotten. What does this mean for Currie? A 50-50 batting average means his next one has to be great. Bring it on, Currie.

A little of this a little of that

Author: xhidden99 from United States
27 June 2014

Not terrible. They seem to have thrown a pasta strainer of horror flick clichés at it to see what sticks. Two things stand out 1) a huge reliance on a massively overblown soundtrack. 2) Annoying kids who with 100% certainty argue with their dad over everything and/or instantly wander off like wind up dolls. But overall an OK effort. A family goes into the mountains to a 'cabin' their mom grew up in. A cabin that's about 3x the size of my house. Right away the the kids start their Autistic wandering and shortly thereafter there's requisite telephone failure and snowdrifts. Weird thumping noises abound, etc etc. A little bit haunted house a little bit Stephen King otherworldly-ness.

I'm not a huge fan of Eric McCormick. But the problem with "Perception", his TV show isn't the acting it's the writing. In this piece he's playing to type, a slightly frenetic over amped maybe nuts paranoid who talks really fast and scares people. On the upside it's barely 80 minutes end to end. So make it a double-header with another meh horror flick.

A bit confused and a little lost

Author: wishtell98 from New Port Richey
13 July 2014

My husband watched the movie earlier today and said it was pretty good so I thought I'd give it a shot.Good movie, it had me on my toes the whole time and I was pretty curious throughout the whole movie. However I am completely lost and really couldn't tell you what the movie was about.In the beginning I remember the wife talking about going to the cabin, however I got lost right after that. One year later, I see the father driving in the mountains with his kids, they go to this cabin, the kid starts to cough, the father believe they are all sick and bam the movie goes in another direction. I feel that some unleft answers could've been answered in the movie, What happened to wife, what was all the scare from and what the heck was the ending about. I was left with questions which I don't like in any movie,but overall it was a good movie, it could've been a little better. I believe it needed a bit more of a twist with all the creepy things that kept happening. I would like to say thumbs up to the three main characters in this movie, excellent acting. In my opinion, it's your thought about the movie, I liked it and would probably watch again.

What the hell did I just watch ?

Author: boynascar from United States
12 February 2014

What the hell was that ? I thought I knew what was going on (father taking the drugs, hallucinating and all whacked out on drugs) then it jumped all over the place without explanation AT&T all. Why this? Why that ? Couldn't follow this movie from the start. It was building up for the grand finally and fell far short of thrilling. "He will get what's coming to him"... And they let him go to the Hospital with his kids after he kidnapped and almost killed a man while on drugs ? Don't want to live near these police.. All and all. Very disappointing movie that had potential but didn't take advantage of the money spent on it. What a shame I wanted an hour and change on this one..

I Wanted To Turn It Off

Author: haunt_freak from United States
28 October 2013

For a movie that's only 75 minutes, "Barricade" feels like it's 2 hours. This movie was a chore to sit through. The acting and dialogue are horrible. Eric McCormack should stick to playing a gay guy. He's good at that. And how many freaking exterior shots of the cabin do we really need? We get it. They're in a cabin. The "twist" is so cliché, you'll have it guessed within the first half hour. Note to self: in thrillers, if the main character is ever shown taking medication, it usually means the "twist" is that they're crazy/a good portion of the story didn't really happen/the main protagonist is actually the antagonist... you get the idea. Well, this movie isn't any different. All the characters get into situations that are supposed to be scary and intense, but we don't really care because these scenes are so close together that they lose suspense and any sort of build-up in between. Nothing special here, just pass on this one.

What the?

Author: MisterE2108 from United States
26 September 2012

Another film I was in anticipation to see, only to be disappointed. Very misleading film that boils down to a father and his two children who end up getting the flu. As the fevers start the set in, the hallucinations and hysteria begin. I went into this film thinking it was going to be an awesome haunted house film or in the case a haunted cabin film. All my presumptions were based on the great promo trailer that I've seen almost daily. The thing about having a really bad fever it is possible to have vivid hallucinations, because I can still recall the three witches that I swore were plotting to cook and eat my mother when I had a really bad fever. During my hallucination I damn near killed our cat 'Buster' because during my fever I thought he was one of the witches who were in this plot against my mother and were now out to kill me because I knew what they were plotting...lol (True story). Barricade is like buying a bag of sweet juicy plums only to find out when you get home and open the bag, it's nothing but a bag of dried up prunes. Don't be fooled by the promos or trailer or even the box cover, this is not a ghost or haunted story, it's nothing but a father and his two children who get the flu and start having hallucinations. And if you do happen to watch this film, wait until you see what the dummies who made this film had the nerve to do at the very end of this movie, as if they wanted the viewer to say, "Oh no, the cabin was really haunted". Get the you know what outta here. I'll never tell a person not to see a film, so go ahead watch this film if you're curious to see for yourself.

I got it,but it still was awful

Author: oh03 from United States
11 February 2015

I am writing to say.. even if you know exactly what is going on. Even if you get that the father is nuts. Even if you know most of what you see is dear old dad,pretending it's not him. This movie is awful. I gave it 1 star, because I had to give it a star. This is worst than awful. This movie found it's way to my TV. I watched it. Several times I thought the third rerun of Supernatural, even if I saw it earlier today still would of been more surprising than anything in this movie. It's confusing, and seriously people, the nut case would of been handcuffed and thrown into the cop car for kidnapping the caretaker. He wouldn't been able to ride with his kids to the hospital. He would of been treated as dangerous. The face in the window, didn't cause me to jump. It read delusion, because of how the dad was acting when he saw it. It didn't even look like it scared him, just surprised him. Than after seeing the hand print on the window the next morning. He was like Let's go outside and play. It's a Yawner. It makes stupid sense. The writer needs to not quit his day job. The curtain at the end says Just in case you figured my stupid movie out, here's a twist. Or possibly the sequel to the worst movie ever. My advice is skip the movie and take a nap. Believe me, your dreams will be much more interesting and exciting than this awful movie.

Don't waste you time!

Author: rcschran from United States
30 December 2013

I love a good suspenseful horror movie as much as the next person but this was awful. In the beginning of the movie it has a decent start, but that is as far as anyone should watch. The first 80% of the movie is a man running in circles. This movie is very hard to follow and leaves you asking "what the heck?" every 5 minutes. It is totally lacking a good plot. It was so hard to watch but i endured. I was hoping for an ending that would kick butt and make it all worth while. Not such the case. The ending was terrible. They could've made so many other endings that would've been better. However it does tie the movie together and explains the movie but after watching it, it needs the description of horror or suspenseful ripped from it. Trust me, don't waste your time.

Could have been better & longer

Author: bob-hepworth from Lancaster, UK
10 June 2013

I downloaded this film from a torrent, and I am glad I did now! I like my horrors as does my fiancée but this was a disappointment. I suppose I was expecting a cross between House (2008) and the Grudge 1 (2004) but alas this film lacks the storyline. Surprised to see it was created by the WWF??? I haven't watched that stuff since the days of the nWo.

The film was a bit short (75 mins) say compared to Hellweek (2010) at 95.

This film centres around a man who has become a widower and takes his kids for a holiday in a remote location (cliche?). He suffers from delusions. I have had a fever before and NEVER suffered from delusions. Probably the medication! lol The end is, in my opinion, terrible.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]