IMDb > Barricade (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Good, Solid Movie with a TWIST

Author: davidfurlotte from Canada
28 November 2012

I enjoy the horror and thriller genre and this movie was well put together with enough twists to keep you guessing as to what was really happening.

Firstly, I signed in so I could give a positive review because I feel that many of the other reviewers didn't understand what they had seen.

*****SPOILERS HERE***** All throughout the movie you're piecing things together beginning with discovering that the wife was dead and for awhile at least you're not quite sure if the husband didn't in fact kill her. We discover early on that the husband and father is a doctor but we're not quite sure what kind of doctor until near the very end.

This movie makes you wonder if the cabin is haunted by the ghost of the mother or by some other presence. It makes you wonder if perhaps some strange force of nature has taken over or if there's something in the air around this winter home aka cabin. Finally, it all gets wrapped up in the end through a series of flashbacks. My favourite part of this movie is realizing that you should NEVER mix booze and drugs ESPECIALLY when the bottle tells you NOT to do it! LOL

All in all, if you enjoy watching a movie that makes you think instead of spoon-feeding you the plot, give this movie a watch and enjoy.

I'm Not Going to Judge Horror Movies by their IMDb Ratings Anymore

Author: politehere from Tabriz, Iran
13 May 2015

I've always been looking for horror movies with 6+ or at least 5+ ratings, but lately I've been watching a number of horror movies with ratings between 4 and 5, which I expected to mean the movie was terrible, and yet I found them to be some of the best and most effective horror movies I've seen thus far. On the contrary, I watched movies like The Conjuring, Mama, The Woman in Black, Sinister, etc. and was bored beyond what words can describe. It so happens that Barricade is yet still one of those overlooked hidden gems in this seemingly not so popular genre.

Not only did Barricade have likable characters with awesome performances but also it employed lots of effective jump scares and a really creepy atmosphere. It had more than one twist and every one of them came as a big surprise. It created false expectations and then proved me wrong. I totally love these kinds of movies and I wish there were more horror movies like this.

Judging by the reviews I can tell people gave it low ratings just because it confused them. I think it's not a good enough reason to judge a movie so poorly. The movie was meant to confuse the audience and did so effectively. Moreover, it didn't "leave the audience confused" like some other movies do and everything made sense in the end. The confusion did not in any way get in the way of its jump scares, so I can't really complain. Ironically, a movie such as "Stay (2005)" gets a very high score despite its being 100 times more confusing than Barricade. Why did people like it so much? Because it explained everything in the end. The same is true with Barricade, so I don't really understand all the hate.

As a horror movie fan, I strongly recommend Barricade. It's a great movie. I give it 8/10 and I'm not going to judge horror movies by their IMDb ratings anymore.

Eric McCormack as a family annihilator?

Author: gingerleigh1111
10 November 2013

~When you want to carefully review something, it's helpful to start with the end and work your way backward.~

So, imagine this: a nice old man shows up at a remote cabin in the woods to bring supplies to a family stuck in a winter storm. For his trouble, some lunatic beats shiz-nit out of him for no real reason, binds him with duck tape, and sticks him in the freezing attic for three days without food, water, or heat. The police finally come busting down the front door looking for this poor feller. Now: What do you think they are going to do with the offender? Allow him to just saunter out of the house, arms wrapped around his family? The movie is written just well enough not to let that happen.

So, if we agree the ending is not what it seems, let's use the clues given to us throughout the film to figure out what really happens to this man and his kids.

Hint: This is The Shining without the happy ending.

Honestly, here's my thoughts

Author: piperjet2012 from United States
26 June 2013

First off, let it be known that I was never a fan of this actor. The only exposure I've had was the one or two times I stumbled upon a Will & Grace episode.

With that being said, I think he did a good job and it was nice to see him step into this genre. He did well, although, the children were not a good match. As one person said, "children just don't act that way". I thought there was some provocation of thought. I am the type of movie watcher that likes to figure things out (Usual Suspects.... Awesome!) I don't think it was a bad movie and felt that it showed he has talent that is versatile and should be utilized in a wider range of films.

Overall, I can see how some watchers might be confused, but I enjoyed the movie, there were some good "jolts" in the movie. A parent, inexperienced, on medication, taking care of sick kids after losing his wife & mother of his children, in a cabin, in a snowstorm. Not the best setting for a Rockwell moment, huh?!

Think it was a good movie. Had the potential to be better but they did good with the budget they had to work with.

Not terrible, but VERY familiar

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
2 February 2013

A grieving widower decides to reconnect with his kids by taking them out to the wilderness to an isolated cabin. Not long afterwards, strange things start to happen and... what, you've seen all of this before? So have I. While the movie does try to inject a surprise twist towards the end, even that twist will come across as VERY familiar to many viewers. In short, there is very little originality in this movie. On the other hand, the production values are pretty good for a low budget movie made by WWE Studios. There is also some genuine atmosphere here and there. The acting is acceptable, even with the child performers. And the movie runs at a reasonable running time of just a little over eighty minutes. This movie certainly is not one you should be seeking out, but if it comes on your television during an especially slow night, you could do worse.

Plain Jane

Author: wayofthejeep
1 October 2012

If I could describe this movie in one word it would be...plain. Its your run of the mill low budget thriller, and if you've watched 10 horror movies in your life, you've already seen everything this movie has to offer. Its full of "boo!" scares mixed in with someone standing outside the window one second, and gone the next double takes. Also if you can't stand the disruptive flow of stories where you watch a scene, then all the sudden the character is back on the couch and the last two minutes didn't really happen, you will not like this, because it does that a lot. But it is better that you'd expect for a WWE direct to video movie so watch it only if you come across a free copy and have some time to kill. Lastly, as for all the "confused" reviews- this movie does leave you with a lot of questions, but there is one scene where it zooms in on something for a pause, and that will answer most of the questions. You will know it when you see it.

Not the best, but some good elements in it

Author: jackmeat from chicago
5 October 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXNWWlp3N0 Shocktober continues:Well it is nice to see a WWE film that doesn't involve wrestlers.That being said, now the movie.The acting was very good, especially the kids.Scenery when you got to see it was also great, but the majority of the movie was isolated to the house.That being said the plot and story itself was not very well done.There were so many ways this could've been a good film and it just fell flat.I was hoping they could utilize the high points that flashbacks were alluding to throughout the movie and it just never happened.For a rental it is fine but beyond that I wouldn't much bother. 4.6/10 IMDb 4.7. Bonus for my readers http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1627915033/

Who Goes There!

Author: kapelusznik18 from United States
2 April 2014

***SPOILERS*** After the tragic death of his wife Leah's ,Jody Thompson, Terry Shade, Eric McCormack, decides to take his two children Cynthia & Jake, Lonner Dwelly & Ryan Grantham, to the great outdoors for a Christmas vacation. Terry a workaholic was very distant to his children when Leah was alive and wants to make that up after her death. It in fact turned out to be a vacation in hell with Terry flipping out and losing his grasps of reality. The setting takes place in this out of the way cabin cut off from civilization as well as phone service. It's there during a major blizzard that Terry and the children experience a series of encounters that are out of this world that in the end drives them out of their minds.

Much like the Stanley Kubrick 1980 classic "The Shinning" the film "Barricade" has to do with for the most part a man, Terry, slowly going out of his mind due to severe isolation as he barricades and puts himself and his family into a bunker like existence. The film goes back and forth to when Leah was alive and after she died that gives us an understanding of Terry deteriorating mental state. It's much later that we get a glimpse of what's really happening to Terry who by then is more then ready to spend the rest of his life in the funny farm. Which after what he went through in the movie he's more then qualified to be in.

Even though the movie ends abruptly we still can see what trials and tribulations Terry went through. He wasn't really a bad guy but his brain had been so fried and messed up that only shock treatment and a padded cell were the only way he could be cured. That's before he'll end up killing somebody which could very well be himself.

omg

Author: maryfeather80 from Greece
3 November 2012

what the hell was that all about?If the director didn't have an inspiration then why even bother making a movie?Just to make another movie?The plot-what plot?-was awful, the set up awful,the dialogue inspiring, the actors didn't know what they were doing there and i was wondering why am i watching this movie?The end was so silly that a ten year old would do it better,much much better.The movie was pointless and the rating approves that,i really had high hopes for that movie but it all went down the hill.If you are bored out of your mind do not watch this,try wrong turn 5,at least you will laugh...I am a really bad reviewer but this is a really bad movie people, even though the lead actor is pretty good..just not in this movie

DVD box is more interesting then the movie

Author: shawnspo82 from United States
26 September 2012

Not sure if this movie is about a guy having a mental breakdown or about a house that is haunted. This movie is so dark and was really hard to see on my TV. Seems like you end up just looking at a lot of darkness that the creators thought you should be scared by. I am a lover of pretty much any movie and usually don't give a movie a bad review. This movie i am sad to say is one that i have to give a bad review to because of a story line that isn't really the easiest to follow and and ending that really doesn't give closure to the last hour and a half you spent watching it.

My advice is to "Barricade" this DVD in the four walls of the red box or store that you got it at and keep it away from your DVD player!!!

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]