Turbo (2013) Poster

(2013)

A lot of (mostly) innocent fun
Michael-9629 June 2013
I was lucky to see Turbo at a preview today, and had a great time. I don't want to give anything away, but suffice to say that I greatly enjoyed the movie. The plot's cute, the characters amusing, and there are some hilarious one liners. (As well as a few somewhat more risqué jokes for the adults, although they'll fly over most kids' heads.)

It's not going to rival Pixar at their best, but it's a lot of fun. I will say, though, that this isn't a film I'd bother with 3D for. It takes a back seat, and is little more than a gimmick. You won't be missing anything at all to watch in 2D.

But other than that, heartily recommended!
55 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A snail with a dream
tr9117 October 2013
'Turbo' is a snail that has a dream. He wants to race with the fastest cars in the world, but of course he is just a slow snail. After an accident where he falls onto the road, Turbo starts to turn into something fast; he has lights and nitrous speed. He is then found by a guy called Tito who has a lot of snails that he races. When he sees just how fast Turbo is he wants to enter him into the Indy 500 race (which is what Turbo wants too). He believes in him so raises the money to do so.

This film sounds like a pretty stupid idea but I thought it worked rather well. It's a whole load of fresh new characters and designs, excellent animation and lovely colours as usual with an animated film.

The story is a bit predictable of course but it was still an enjoyable film all round. Turbo and Tito are very likable characters. The supporting characters are also good too. I didn't know when I started watching it but you can tell straight away that Snoop Dogg and Samuel L Jackson voiced two of the snails; I liked them two in particular.

The race at the end is quite fast paced as well which was good and of course he couldn't do it without a little help from his friends.

It was quite funny overall. It had a really good soundtrack. Also some good quotes which you may remember for a while; 'Snailed it' 'That snail is fast'. It was a joyful way to spend 90 minutes and I think it's one that the youngsters will love, as well as the adults who like animated films in general.

One of the better animated films released this year (UK). Wreck it Ralph is my favourite but I enjoyed this as much as Monsters University.

8/10.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tito, not Turbo, is probably the better champion in the film
EBWired13 July 2013
In the traditional plot device for the kiddos, this is about the little snail that could. You don't get too many surprises.

The treat though is the clever parallel between the two sets of brothers. Tito, not Turbo, is probably the better champion of the film because his character has no superpowers. Rather, it's his naïve yet genuine idealism that's the driving engine behind the movie. In fact, the human characters capture my sympathies more than the quirky mollusks.

The film should be noted for its effort to present multiculturalism, especially with shout outs about the scene in Southern California.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Snail in Full Speed
Prince AJB27 July 2013
"Turbo" may not be the most original or inventive animated film ever but it's a good time and pretty fun. The story is pretty simple and one that a little child can imagine. But the way it delivers the story is gorgeous. It has lovable characters and sense of humor.

Theo (who prefers to be called Turbo) is a garden snail who lives as an outsider among his snail community. His dream of becoming the Indianapolis 500 champion makes him an outcast and his obsession with speed brings embarrassment to his brother, Chet. However, after an unexpected accident, Theo is granted incredible speed and also inherits some characteristics of an actual car (headlights, radio).

He is then taken by a chubby guy named Tito. Tito and his brother Angelo own a taco shop that is struggling. The other tenants in the area are also facing the same problem. Tito has this idea of registering Turbo into the Indy 500 in order to help his business prosper. And there are also other snails who become Turbo's buddies.

"Turbo" may not have as much depth as some of the animated masterpieces. But "Turbo" doesn't aim in being that. It wants to become a fun-filled adventure about a freaking-fast snail racing in the midst of an array of monstrous cars. And it doesn't disappoint. It's enjoyable, slick and plenty of fun.

The characters are likable too. Turbo is ambitious, funny, and adventurous. All the qualities of a fun character are embodied in him. Chet, his brother, is caring and more cautious but is also adorable in some moments. The other snails are also plenty of fun due to their ridiculous antics. Besides the mollusks, we also have the human characters. Tito, with his large build, is extremely chubby and funny. Tito's other friends are also a joy to watch.

"Turbo" also has a great sense of humor. I had a blast watching this film. Not all the jokes work, but most of them do. But I do want to mention that there's a joke concerning crows snatching one snail at a time, and to me it seems a bit extreme because the idea of a snail being eaten by a crow is kinda creepy, don't you think? Or maybe it's just me. But the bottom line is "Turbo" is plenty of fun to watch.

The animation is not the best I've seen but it's pretty good. It possesses beautiful sets and the colors are fluorescent. The voice cast was excellent too and Ryan Reynolds did a great job lending his voice to Turbo.

"Turbo" is a fun and rollicking adventure and it is plenty of joy to watch these lovable characters see what they're up to. Just don't expect too much from it and don't expect it to be a masterpiece.

Rating: 7/10

Final Verdict: It may not be original but "Turbo" is a hell of a roller-coaster ride that will provide plenty of joy and laughs with its lovable characters.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Need for speed
DarkVulcan2922 July 2013
A snail named Theo(voiced by Ryan Reynolds)loves to watch racing, and wishes he could race on the tracks, but his brother(voiced by Paul Giamatti) tells him that he is a snail, he was not meant to be fast, cause he is a snail. But one night Theo accidentally lands in a fast car, and gains the power of being as fast as the car. Now Theo has fun with this new found power, but how far will it take him?

a well made animated film, I mean it is no Wreck it Ralph, but still a fun movie. But it's not just a snail with super speed, but it's more of a ensemble, providing the voices Samuel L. Jackson, Michelle Rodriguez, and Michael Pena to name a few. They all really make this story quite a joy, and seem to be having a blast working on this film.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
And the Winner of the Indy 500 Is...
Claudio Carvalho17 July 2016
In Los Angeles, the garden snail Theo dreams on being the fastest racer in car races and worships his idol, the champion Guy Gagné, who has won the Indianapolis 500 several times. His brother Chet protects him most of the time from daring situations caused by Theo. When Chet rescues Theo from a failed attempt of recovering a prize tomato, Theo leaves the garden feeling humiliated. Soon he is accidentally sucked by the supercharger of a racing car and he drowns in the nitrous oxide injected to speed up the car. On the next morning, Theo finds that he has achieved speed power. When a crow picks Chet from the garden, Theo pursues them and rescues his brother. However they are captured the taco truck driver Tito and brought to a snail race. When Tito sees the performance of Theo, a.k.a. Turbo, in a race with the other snails, he decides to enter Turbo in Indianapolis, despite the disagreement of his brother Angelo. But his neighbors share the entrance expenses and they head to Indianapolis. Who will win the Indy 500?

"Turbo" is a silly and funny animation, with a snail that competes the Indianapolis 500 promoted by a Mexican young man. The plot is refreshing and creative and makes laugh in many situations. Guess who wins the Indy 500? My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Turbo"
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Turbo
Phil Hubbs1 October 2013
Dreamworks are on a roll here people, 'The Croods' 'Rise of the Guardians' and now this slick little number. Yet another insect tale and another creature checked off the to do list (will there be an animated flick about every creature?), this little story is so obvious and easy I'm amazed it hasn't been done already.

A simple snail is turned into a super fast snail when he accidentally gets sucked up into a modded cars turbo engine and he somehow mutates into this supersnail (yeah you missed this idea Marvel). So this story is gonna be even more outlandish than the regular insect animations.

At first the angle of the film is much like any other creepy crawly kids flick, its silly but its still based around how that creature actually exists in reality. In a garden munching on leaves, lettuce, tomatoes, getting eaten by birds and avoiding dangerous situations like evil kids. But as the film progresses it slowly morphs into a clear 'Fast n Furious' rip off for kids. At first I wasn't too sure if I was gonna like it but luckily the plot takes us into the realms of F1/Indycar racing...I feared an all out cheesy chav filled bling fest.

The visuals are filled with neon which tends to be a cheap way to try and make things look cool but admittedly it does look quite good here. I do like the neon snail trail Turbo leaves and how it follows the coils in his shell. Although the fact his little body made all sorts of car noises and his eyes lit up as headlights was a bit too far for me. I did also find myself liking his fellow snail friends with their ridiculous shells, it was totally daft but kinda cute at the same time. The snail crew were actually really amusing I must admit, S.L. Jackson really makes the most of his well known loud aggressive persona which was funny coming from a little snail. The rest were kinda clichéd with the obligatory hip hop snail in a small crew that were clearly a parody of the characters in '2 Fast 2 Furious', White Shadow was easily the best snail for me.

The story is insane though, this fat guy (Mexican?) finds Turbo and decides the best thing to do is enter him in the Indianapolis 500...yes the real Indianapolis 500. Now I have to say this concept is beyond surreal frankly but there we go. I can't really moan about it as this is in no way suppose to be taken seriously. I mean the snails supposedly only know of their little garden world, so how would they know what Mexican food is or anything in the outside world? oh right Turbo watches TV...I'll stop right here. Anyway if it were me I'd just get the snail on the news and travel the world showing him off, why risk getting the little fella crushed straight away?!

Its definitely more of a kids film but I'm sure adults will enjoy some of it, the whole thing is so cosy and cheerful how can you not like it?. The quick little quips from various snail characters kept me amused, Giamatti as Chet was good for that. The classic underdog (undersnail) tale, there aren't any surprises here lets put it this way. What happens in the race (the whole plot) is basic 101 story telling and you know what will happen a mile off. This isn't a problem though as the film is all heart, full of bright colourful visuals and some great little characters (crank up the merchandise machine).

8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unexpectedly nice movie.
Vijayanand Phad22 July 2013
There was no intention to watch this movie. Trailer and story didn't click to me. However, I accidentally watch this movie.

This movie is about a snail dreams about being Indy 500 race champion. How he get powers, how he enters into the race and finally what happens is a nice journey to watch.

Movie is short and sticks to the story. Animation is really good. I thought as Snail is the hero the movie from their perspective will be very slow but this is never the case.

Story is somewhat acceptable for children but watchable for elders as well. This is a nice movie to watch for 90 mins.

There is nothing best about the movie. So it is just a watchable. It won't bore you.

Overall Ratings: 6/10
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Bug's Life Version of Cars
Hollywood_Yoda17 July 2013
Here it is, a snail receives super speed, hence the name of the film being "Turbo." What the film makes me think of when I see it is a combination of Disney's "A Bug's Life" and "Cars". It is a great movie to take the 4-9 year old kids to see.

As an adult, it is great to see Ryan Reynolds taking a voice-over part in a family friendly film. However, I could have lived to watch it without many of the other actors. Paul Giamatti and Samuel L. Jackson are in so many different films these days, their voices are tiring.

A nice change of pace for Dream Works after seeing three "Madagascar" films and four "Shrek" movies. I was Shrekked out! That's why I gave this fresh film from DW Pictures a 9/10.
36 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Cars" for Younger Children
3xHCCH19 July 2013
The trailer of this new Dreamworks animated film did not really make me interested to watch because I thought the whole racing snail story would be corny. However, my kids insisted and there were some favorable initial reviews, so I reluctantly gave it a go and hoped to be pleasantly surprised.

"Turbo" is about Theo, a garden snail obsessed about car racing and being fast. He accidentally ingests nitrous oxide and develops amazing race car powers. A luckless taco shop owner Tito picks Theo up for his hobby of racing snails, and discovers Theo's incredible speedy abilities. Eventually, Theo (now re-named Turbo) actually qualifies to race against his racing idol, the five-time champion Guy Gagne, in the Indianapolis 500. Can this phenomenal little snail now finally fulfill his dream of winning a big league car race?

The topic of car racing had already been tackled very well in Pixar's "Cars". If "Cars" was for kids, "Turbo" is targeted for even younger kids. More than just the car racing, the side story about the deserted mini-mall in Van Nuys, California where Tito's taco shop is located, was also obviously inspired by the town of Radiator Springs in "Cars."

The scene showing how Theo got his powers, with the nerve axons and red blood cells being revitalized with nitrous oxide, was straight out of "Spider- Man".

I did not really get the whole snails working together to gather tomatoes thing. It might have worked in "Bug's Life", but I did not know snails ever worked like ants. I could imagine how encountering a huge army of snails in a small tomato patch like that would probably look pretty scary in real life.

On the positive side, "Turbo" manages to tell a good story about brotherly support in the parallel stories of Theo and his brother Chet, and Tito and his brother Anton. One brother is the whimsical dreamer, while the other is the more grounded practical one. They may see things differently, but in the end, brotherly love would prevail.

Of course, the showcase of the whole film is still the big race. The execution of the race sequence was thrilling and exciting, especially the final laps. While the climactic moment in "Cars" is still better, but this one in "Turbo" still manages to hold its own with its unique charm.

As a whole though, I found the film's pace leading to the climactic race quite slow for a movie about speed. I was disappointed about how the Guy Gagne character was developed as a stereotype, when it could have been more original. The voice work was by big stars like Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti and Samuel L. Jackson. They were all okay, but nothing really distinct and memorable stood out.

Kids will surely enjoy this cute little film delightful. Parents will just have to summon their inner child out in order to enjoy it with them.
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Audience love it a lot! Tons of fun and emotion! Terrific sound!
Luis Eduardo Moreno14 July 2013
As good as Pixar is making animated movies, the best counterpart is ,without no doubt, Dreamworks. And this guys bring this time a nice movie where they show how much are improving their works and how close they are getting their stuff to Pixar quality. Said that, this movie is a solid piece of work. Is entertained, heart warming but most important is very exciting. The pace of the movie is fast in a very good way. This are not the kind of movie to see looking for logic or anything like that. This is just about fun, about a product that give a moment of truly entertainment. As limited as the space in this plot idea could be, is remarkable how much emotion they can put in the movie. Very few times you see the crowd giving so much support to a screen character and this is what this little Turbo get, the whole audience loving him. I see Monster U and Despicable Me too but i believe that Turbo has more emotion than the other two and considering how good that ones are you will get a lovely speedy fun in your eyes.
22 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cute for kids, a smile for adults
kristen_skywalker3 October 2013
Keeping in mind that it's an animated movie targeting children I'd say this is a decent movie. It's cute, the snail idea itself is original, and I'd say there's probably several parts that would make a child laugh.

I wasn't laughing at any point in the movie, but i did smile a few times at some cute little things they did. I appreciate the clean movie that i could easily suggest to any family with young children.

Though I didn't mind watching this, I'd say for adults it's a bit of seen it before and not humorous enough to engage. There where several bits that were extremely hard to swallow. Such as a snail surviving getting bathed by some sort of engine fluid. A very neat garden where the owners just ignored the very large and obvious snail infestation. An adult running over a very large, ripe tomato with a lawnmower instead of picking it up.

I liked how they showed that though turbo's brother seemed unsupportive, he was actually just being protective. He wanted him to be safe and alive. And was there at the end to support turbo to finish. In contrast the 2 human brothers had a lot of issues. The one steals money from the other and that's never really dealt with. Leaving the impression that it's OK to steal if you're following your dreams and succeed. And the other brother doesn't support him until he actually wins the race. Making it feel that it was about success for him instead of his brother.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Humble Meme
Mek Torres22 July 2013
At glance, there's already a sense that Turbo suffers of being unoriginal. It is yet another "inspirational" film of an underdog trying to make his impossible dream come true, and the fact that the concept is about a snail wishing to be as fast as a race car, it's obvious that it's trying to resemble with Ratatouille. In execution, Turbo results differently. It's shallow when it's trying to be inspiring, but there's another message that can be much interesting than the iteration. Turbo is never ought to break some grounds nor bring any powerful drama, but it has its unique charm and humor that people may adore.

Turbo may not have the smartest idea, but it tells a somehow compellingly fun story. It mostly makes fun of its own conceit, because seriously it does sound like a big joke. The plot itself is just basic storytelling where it simply explores around the characters and pull off some random humor. It hardly gets to show much originality. The central message in the end is pretty much too familiar in this time. Other than those generic points, it's actually a large satirical meme, where bigger fame and money mostly goes to the weirder talents. But for a good cause; the real heart(yet still a joke) comes to the fact that the people who supports Theo/Turbo would actually risk their lives taking him into the race, because his dream is probably the absolute hope for saving their businesses. The film usually plays like that, there's a point when it sounds preposterous even if it's supposed to be heartwarming. It's strange, but that is one of the charms of the film.

The voices behind the characters can be too recognizable, but they're not distracting anyway. They all brought enough personalities in their animated counterparts. Although the story doesn't require any extraordinary or groundbreaking visual features, the animation still manages to display a lot of stylish spectacles. You can see them in the final race scene, the power line race, and the snails' imagination while slithering through their mini tracks. The 3D works great too, though it's not going to be too remarkable.

Turbo is never destined to be the best. As long as it's as humble as its scale and as its main character, it's all good. It's kind of hard to get over the lack of originality unless you're honestly entertained throughout the experience. The real point of the movie is to present how ridiculous the world they made where it mocks on whatever nature and today's society do, yet scatter some thematically endearing subplots. Besides, this is from Dreamworks. They are usually known for pop culture references and inevitable slapstick humor, but here they used those elements in a smarter way. The film still has the heart that good animated movies have and when it goes there, it tends to be sweeter. Turbo is basic stuff where the fun is more than just colorful images showing off on screen.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bit underrated.
Asadullah Khan8 March 2014
Well the story is very ridiculous BUT it is also fun if you don't take it seriously.

Turbo is a likable speed junkie BUT he is a SNAIL. Nature has played a cruel trick on him. But thanks to some NO2, he becomes fast and furious. And I gotta say, that whole speed thing was pretty cool whenever he does it, the movie captured the thrill of speed pretty well.

There are lots of side characters, some humans, some snails. Some good, some lame. Hell, there is a Samul L Jackson snail too, who obviously has the guy's enthusiasm. And then there is the snail, WHITE SHADOW. Honestly, he always cracked me up whenever he said that and dramatically backed into the shadows.

The CGI quality was great. Everything from the environment to the characters was detailed.

From the reviews, I would say, this movie is a little bit underrated. I had the impression that it will be mediocre but was pleasantly surprised that I liked and enjoyed it.

7.2/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Easy 10 star movie!!
LoboMaq61717 July 2013
Today it is my birthday and so I figured I'd bring my little brother to the movies, and I did. Turbo was on the top of my list and by God I'd go watch it again because this movie was funny, crazy, amazing, and had emotion in it. I am 19 and I enjoyed this movie as if I was a kid again, it was that good. If your having second thoughts about this movie, don't, go watch it, you will no feel let down. This is easily one of the best 2013 summer flicks to date. BELIEVE THIS HYPE!! I'm already waiting for it to release on blu-ray, I recommend this to this everybody. There is no age group for this movie and you won't get bored with it at all, it is for all age groups.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dumb, poorly-executed plot slows down 'Turbo'
gregeichelberger3 August 2013
Just because there is a wealth of animated feature films out there does in no way mean all of them are worthy of our hard-earned bucks. Only a few are exceptional, a few more are decent, while most just float on the surface of pop culture for a few weeks as a true homage to mediocrity.

The newest DreamWorks Animation production, "Turbo," directed by David Soren ("Madly Madagascar"), fits neatly into this category.

A paper-thin plot, but with enough vivid visuals and over-the-top action to distract the little ones during its 96-minute running time, Turbo is decent family fare — if the adults in that family are not asking very much to challenge their intellect or arouse their interest.

I suppose I could be more positive, however, and describe this picture as the "Citizen Kane" of movies in which a cartoon garden snail dreams of racing in the Indianapolis 500, but I will skip the hyperbole and just write that this storyline, while patently ridiculous, has been done — in other forms — many times before.

Poor, poor Turbo (voiced by Ryan Reynolds, "Safe House"), a snail who hopes for much more in life and strives to be fast. But alas, like most of his species he is burdened with a lack of speed and is hampered with a big brother, Chet (voiced by Paul Giamatti, "Rock of Ages"), who just doesn't understand his wishes.

One night, however, after breaking a television set and visiting a highway overpass, Turbo is sucked into an engine and overdoses on nitrous oxide. His dream of being the swiftest snail alive has come true.

Infused with such speed, he is able to save Chet from a murder of crows, but also peaks the interest of Tito (voiced by Michael Peña, "Gangster Squad"), a truck driver and taco salesman whose hobby is snail races (yes, just repeat that line a few more times and let it sink in . . .).

As he uses his mutation to defeat others in this enterprise, including Whiplash (voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, "Django Unchained"), Angelo (voiced by Luis Guzmán, "The Last Stand") and Smoove Move (voiced by Snoop Dogg, "Old School"), Turbo somehow communicates to Tito how much he wants to enter the Indianapolis 500 (even though that is a race for automobiles and he, of course, is a well, you know, not an automobile).

In an attempt to cash in on his popularity, if not his ubiquity, Turbo also features Ken Jeong ("The Hangover Part 3," among several hundred other movies this year) as the voice of an old Korean lady friend of Tito's who puts smug human drivers in their place. How DARE they not accept a shelled terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusk into their midst?

How it concludes is no secret, nor is the fact that this effort does not nearly rise to the level of "Despicable Me 2," or "Monsters University." Not even a healthy dose of an extra special 3D treatment adds to the enjoyment of this production (so save your money).

There is an upside, however.

After viewing this with your children, you can always save the experience for that one day when you can say in a guilt trip situation, "Look what I've done for you kids, I took you to see Turbo and stayed with you the whole time."
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fell Swoop
cultfilmfreaksdotcom28 July 2013
Since Disney, many years ago, provided a human-like Volkswagen Bug racing in Monte Carlo, perhaps the competing DreamWorks could have a Snail competing in the Indy 500 make sense. Even for a cartoon this premise is far-fetched and downright preposterous, but the worst scenes are those leading up to the big race.

Actually, the first twenty minutes aren't too bad: getting to know TURBO, a snail who dreams of being a race car driver… or rather, being the car and driver both… while working with his snail buddies in a community that lives a suburban home's vegetable garden.

While the movie works for kids during the initial setup in the colorful garden world, there are scenes where crows swoop down and quickly kill several snails. Of course we never get to know those particular characters to make those deaths sad, but they are shocking.

Although when Turbo's best buddy Chet (voiced with melancholy sarcasm by Paul Giamatti) gets snagged by one of the killer crows, Turbo, who gained the power of becoming a jet- powered hot rod after being sucked inside an engine during a local race, goes to the rescue and both snails wind up saved, or captured, or both, by one of the most annoying cartoon and/or computer-animated characters in history: a fat twenty-something Latino named Tito whose uncle owns a taco stand, one of several stores in a forsaken outdoor mall with shops run by other completely uninteresting characters. For some reason, Tito and his friends race snails in a mechanic's garage, and here they discover a lucrative potential for advertisement.

The commercials and trailers set up the other hot rodding snails, voiced by Sam Jackson and Snoop Dogg to name a few, as if they were actually part of the storyline, and yet they have hardly anything to do with Turbo's goal, instigated by Tito to save his uncle's store: competing in the Indy 500 against a conceited human superstar. All scenes leading up are tortuous and lame, and you'll be glad once the revving competition is underway since it means the end is near.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Completely unoriginal
Toblerone20 August 2013
Turbo is one of the worst movies I have ever watched. The plot line was extremely shallow and cliché, with virtually every element stolen from other kids movies – from the line "there's nothing in the rules that says a snail can't enter the race" (Air Bud came to mind immediately) to the extremely predictable ending ripped right out of the much better movie Cars. What's even more sad is that the makers of the movie didn't even try to make anything in the movie the least bit believable. Yes, we all know that getting sucked into a car engine cannot give you superpowers, but they could have at least made an effort to make it seem a tiny bit realistic.

However, perhaps the most disturbing thing about the movie was how far the writers took the "believe in yourself and anything is possible" fad, which is prevalent in every modern kids movie, but completely over-the-top in Turbo.

The only two positive things I can say about the film are the good animation (Dreamworks always has excellent animation) and two or three funny one-liners. But they don't make up for the overall terribleness of the movie.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Zoom Zoom
Brian Taylor18 July 2013
Everyone loves an underdog story. They are done so much in film, and it's such a common notion that the line is even spoken in the new Dreamworks film "Turbo". The best part in this instance though is, unlike other movies, it's genuine. You feel for this animated snail and his new friend a part owner of a taco shop. Both have dreams and do all they can to make them come true, even when their own family doesn't believe in them. The second best part is that it's fun for the entire family and could very well be the best animated film of the year.

Theo is a snail who wants to be fast, much like Tom Hanks wanted to be Big and Rocky wanted to be champion. After a freak accident of Spider- Man proportions, he gets his chance to compete in the Indianapolis 500. Along the way he finds a friend and fellow dreamer he never actually speaks with in Tito (Michael Peña). Together they both reach for the impossible dreams that live in us all. The filmmakers of "Turbo" use both wish fulfillment and the belief on oneself to tell a familiar story with most of the troupes we've seen before. What sells it here is voice actors ranging from the comedic Ryan Reynolds as Turbo, to the dramatic Paul Giamatti as his brother Chet. In between you have actors that have a foot in both dramatic works as well as comedy, like Luis Guzmàn, Maya Rudolph, Michelle Rodriguez, Richard Jenkins, and Samuel L. Jackson. It also tells its story with a singular goal in mind and still manages to have fun with sight gags, great one-liners, and involvement of the supporting cast.

My kids loved this film as did I, every year we get so many sequels there's quite a few this summer alone, and it's always refreshing to see a movie with the originality and the bravery to take a chance on a story that could have been a bad rip-off of Rocky, but instead reminded me of it in that good way. So go see "Turbo" this weekend, Adam Sandler and his pals have enough of our money, give it to real grown-ups who know how to make really enjoyable films like "Turbo".

--Robert L. Castillo

6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yes, you can light your farts. Its a real thing.
jessegehrig15 March 2014
Overwrought. Far too many hands touched the story and tweaked it, until it became a misshapen soulless thing.This movie was obviously written for 3-D, but the problem is the story is beyond ridiculous. Its like snails in a snail world but also in the human world, but it never establishes itself in either world, so the result is an uneven narrative. Then there is the "message" of 'you just gotta believe in yourself and follow your dreams' and all that stuff, which is nice don't get me wrong, but like a snail that races in the Indy 500, I mean there is no parallel to anything like that in real life, then the snail is only fast cause of some freakish act-of-God, I mean couldn't the real message of this movie be argued to be that you can succeed in pursuing any impossible dream provided you are bestowed with a power wholly beyond the laws of nature and physics? What kind of message is that?
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not an ordinary garden snail. He is fast.
m-venu821 July 2013
Turbo.

No dream is too big and the dreamer too small.

Plot is simple everyone gets that from the trailer. A garden snail accidentally falls into NOS engine and turns into a super fast snail.

But the movie took it to a whole new level. The animation and effects were brilliant.

Coming to the characters, The two brothers with a dream with their Taco shop. Turbo with a dream of going faster and it never gives up. The adventure starts when they both meet. The Whiplash and his crew members were awesome and funny. The way they do things and you people better watch out for White shadow.

Winning the Indy race is not too simple for Turbo even with its ability. The 3D is really great especially when the race starts. The viewers will be on the road along with Turbo. Its pure fun.

Adventure, Comedy, Relation between brothers, friendship and what not. This movie has everything. Its all about making dreams come true. Another epic from Dreamworks.

10/10.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Review by Vanessa
poetry-kid10 October 2013
I see the movie today. So, when i see it it was funny.

The movie had cool ideas such as the radio or the lights in turbo. Such ideas bring good entertainment in the film. However, the makers have made at the beginning of the film a bit too long. So that was still okay with the lawn mower but it went a little long until the film has begun.

The characters were well done. Especially the behavior. A good gag was when the Spanish man who took two slugs and then singing along to music in the car. When the worm was always something going on. Only that it would have been great that turbo's friends had played more in the story.

The conclusion was made great because you always thought "Will he now?", "Will he win?" At the end there was just adrenaline and this makes the moment even unique.

It was a good idea :) with really funny gags ;)
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
very inspirational snail
audrey-kurnia25 July 2014
i think Turbo had a good plot of story. This movie was good for all age. Turbo taught us to never give up and always believe in our dreams. Although, people around called us crazy, don't listen it, you just have to keep trying reach your dreams. Sometimes when you felt you want to give up because everybody was laughing at your dreams, remember from that things it can motivated you more higher. like Turbo he wasn't frustrated, he left his home to reached his dreams. He took many risk at his journey. But from his journey, finally he could reached his dream. His dream was he wished he could be fastest as the racing car. Until he found the taco's brothers, the taco's brother helped him to reached his dream so he could raced with the champion racer. so was Turbo won the race? or he loosed? you must watched by yourself :p it's a good movie to watched and very inspirational. Thankyou
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What it lacked in creativity, it made up for soul
TheFunkyBass17 July 2014
At first, I was having my doubts about this movie. The plot was just ridiculous and dumb. I was even chuckling at some points of the movie. It was as if I was watching a combination of Disney's "A Bug's Life" and "Cars".

But the storytelling kept me attached to my seat. The characters were really likable, the voice acting was top notch and the animation was so eye candy that I could not stop watching. What I most liked about the movie is that it had a lot of heart and soul. It had a good moral (never give up) and many feel-good moments.

It was unexpectedly a good movie.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this