IMDb > Goddess (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Goddess More at IMDbPro »

We loved this film

Author: phil-633-815050 from Australia
15 March 2013

We really enjoyed this charming feel good film. The characters, songs and performances combine to take you on a whirlwind journey that doesn't fail to deliver. Laura and Ronan are refreshingly natural and there is real chemistry between them. Magda is an absolute hoot and the film just looks and feels great.The music is especially enjoyable and it's great to see a musical with fabulous original songs rather than relying on a collection of cliché sixties hits or old number ones. This films feels original from the ground up and that's one of the reasons we liked it so much! As well as the leads there is a great supporting cast cameos that are truly delightful.

Great little movie!

Author: franat6 from Sydney
15 March 2013

This is a great night out - enjoyable and unapologetically feel good - part Bollywood; part Hollywood; part Strictly Ballroom; part Mary Poppins; part desperate housewives. Tight performances all round. Good music, good choreography - .This movie is not what you think - unlike Muriels wedding, Priscilla etc - it does not rely on audience nostalgia for well known songs. The songs/choreography are original and work. It will be a great pity if this movie is not well publicised and I really hope word of mouth will do the trick. Backers - publicists - don't shirk - this is a gem. I have heard three separate reviewers also give it the thumbs up. do yourself a favour and have some fun.

I loved it!

Author: isaacglover_05 from Australia
13 May 2013

me (boy) and a best friend of mine (girl) went to the movies to actually go watch Iron Man 3, but there was a few people there that we wanted to avoid otherwise a fight would have started, so we tried to see what else was on, and the only thing that started at the same time was Goddess. We had no idea what the movie was about, and judging by the cover we thought it was going to be like a predictable little kids fairy tale movie. We were about to walk away, but decided we didn't want to go home just yet, so thought we might as well just go watch the movie.

As we walked in I was expecting to see parents with their little five year old in the cinemas to watch the movie, but as it turned out, WE were the only teenagers in the room.

So as we watched the movie we automatically started laughing! It was a crack up. I loved the music, original and I managed to listen to all of them through the end. I especially loved the choreography!!! It was amazing.

So I was glad that we skipped Iron Man 3 and watched this instead. It is an enjoyable film to any ages (in my opinion anyway) and you will not be disappointed :D

What a great surprise

Author: Samlong-633-344593 from Australia
15 March 2013

What a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Friday night. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this fun-filled, feel-good film. The cast are sensational and the music a revelation. I hope we hear more of Joanna Weinberg. If you loved The Sapphires, Muriel's Wedding, Strictly Ballroom or Priscilla, you will love Goddess. The production value is amazing. Sydney and Tasmania look sensational as does Magda! I couldn't believe it when the audience broke into spontaneous cheering and clapping over the closing credits. I thoroughly recommend Goddess to anyone who wants a to enjoy a great little pick-me- up. I am still singing a couple of those fantastic songs.

Just what we've been waiting for!

Author: hbateman-633-684387 from Australia
23 March 2013

What a great movie. I'm still singing the songs and I'm recommending it to all my friends. Goddess is funny, heartwarming and a pleasure to watch. The choice of the director (Mark Lamprell) to cast Laura Michelle Kelly and Ronan Keating as a young UK family transported into a new community in a new country is inspired. They simply "click" on screen and exude warmth. The director's choice of Magda is equally inspired. She is nothing short of a knockout.

The musical numbers are very catchy and expertly choreographed. This is the movie Australians have been asking for for years. All too often critics have complained that Australian movies take themselves far too seriously. Not so Goddess. No bleak navel gazing happening here. Goddess is quirky and fun from beginning to end.

Give yourselves a treat over the Easter break. Go and see Goddess and have great time.

Laura Michelle Kelly is really a GODDESS and she should keep up with the acting and singing!

Author: e-pappalettera from Italy
26 August 2013

A musical comedy about the history of Elspeth Dickens, who loves to sing and would like to be able to achieve fame thanks to her vocal capabilities. The problem is that she is stuck on a farm with her ​​twins. The installation of a web cam on her computer and the Internet allow you to embark on her journey to stardom, but there will be a pretty high price to pay.

Goddess is an original totally new musical very fun to watch and entertaining. It deserves a better rating than just a 5. The musics are OK but what it is extremely important about this title is the stand out of Laura Michelle Kelly which perform fantastically. It definitely IS a must watch for those who love musical genre. Definitely not a let down but it equals several other musicals plus all with its own style (australian "british" humor). Againg Laura M. Kelly was just great with her performance and she totally should be seen more often on screen moreover if she sings on it. 7 out of 10

Funniest moments are in the trailer.

Author: BBKSManager from Australia
21 August 2013

You'll probably enjoy this movie if you enjoyed Mamma Mia - but if you saw the trailer and thought that it looked like an uproarious comedy - well, you've already seen the funniest parts. This movie follows the unfortunate tradition of putting its' best jokes into trying to market itself - which means that the watch is ultimately a let-down. Though marketing itself as a comedy, it ultimately plays as a musical, and the music is quite average. Husbands - if you can keep it to yourself and spring the movie on your wife as a surprise watch, she may thoroughly enjoy it - the jokes will be new. But unfortunately, the higher a profile this movie & trailer gets, the more of a disappointment it becomes. Having heard the trailer on a loop-tape for the better part of a month before seeing it, the final experience of watching it was rather arduous. If you're a video-store employee or a hard-core trailer-watcher, you're better off viewing 'Burt Wonderstone' (released the same week) - some of the funniest moments are not in the trailer, making it a pleasant surprise!

if you like Mama Mia you'll love Goddess

Author: Erica Tikki Harding Graham from Sydney
24 March 2013

I so loved this movie. It is a great feel good comedy. The music and dance numbers are amazing. The story is really fun and as a mom I could so relate to it. Elspeth Dickens dreams of finding her "voice" despite being stuck in an isolated farmhouse with her twin toddlers. A web cam becomes her pathway to fame and fortune, but at a price.

For Nat Tran fans, come on guys, I love Nat but this is a grown-ups movie not a 16 year old teen drama.

I walked out of the movie feeling really great. I loved seeing Magda Dance and sing. She is such a delight. Ronan was great - who knew he could act.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss this movie. It needs to be seen on the big screen.

Small doesn't mean it can't still be beautiful

Author: fishingguru from United Kingdom
15 November 2013

I loved this film. I don't generally do musicals, but I do tend to like anything that is different from a lot of the mainstream bilge pumped out by Hollywood. I'm a big fan of Australian cinema precisely because it produces quirky, charming films like this. I agree it's unlikely to ever win any Oscars, but that is possibly part of its appeal. The "stars" are not A-list but who cares. Like champagne, the film is light and frothy and lacking in substance but, if you accept it for what it is, it's still thoroughly enjoyable. I saw this film on an international airline, so hopefully its gradually picking up a worldwide fan base and rightly so. Be proud Australia - your films are much better than you give them credit for!

Not what I expected, very satisfied !

Author: robert-lore from Australia
17 March 2013

Well, I have never written a review before, but after just seeing it at the Orpheum and chatting over it with friends, six of the seven of us really enjoyed it. At first I though we had a 'chick - flick' on our hands (well it is) and was prepared for a a bit of shut eye. It was however well worth seeing. The film warms up well and had me engaged completely from about fifteen minutes in.

Its a story about life, relationships, choices and sacrifices made, played out is a pleasing way. I kept on feeling the plot was going to turn down a less savory/disappointing path and it did not. The end result was better than that.

The wardrobe showed a very retro fifties/sixties feel and like the movie was light and fun.

It was light and fun ! The music was original, and performances excellent. My wife was very impressed with Dustin Claire, recently on TV's Spartacus. He sings pretty well too.

Magda Szubanski is a bit of an Aussie icon, and she was great, cast into her role brilliantly.

It was a musical, and I usually avoid musicals, but the sung parts were key to the movie, ie they didn't feel tacked on, and performed well.

I liked it, and it is worth seeing, but take your wife/girlfriend !