IMDb > Dirty Grandpa (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dirty Grandpa

Dirty Grandpa More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Know what you're getting into and you can have fun with Dirty Grandpa.

Author: Andrew Gold from United States
1 February 2016

Once the credits started rolling for Dirty Grandpa, the only thing I could say was, "Oh my god." It was shocking. From beginning to end the movie is shock humor, gross-out humor, crass, offensive, childish and stupid. But you know what? I laughed a lot. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entertained throughout most of this movie. Sure, it follows a lot of road trip movie tropes and the perfunctory fight/make-up conflict near the end, but one thing about Dirty Grandpa is that it's consistent. Dirty joke after dirty joke; some of them hit, some of them miss, but they don't stop. Some of these things I never thought I'd hear come out of Robert De Niro's mouth, but the fact that it's him saying it makes it all the more funny. People will say this is a slap in the face to his legacy, but it really isn't. The Family was. Little Fockers was. This movie knows what it is - a lewd, politically incorrect road trip comedy, and it succeeds in that regard.

What surprised me most about Dirty Grandpa is the chemistry between Zac Efron and Robert De Niro. They have a great comedic rapport that actually feels authentic, which helps the more insane scenes retain some semblance of realism (as thin as it may be). The rest of the cast is enjoyable too, especially Aubrey Plaza as the overtly slutty college girl who continuously surprised me with every grotesque statement uttered from her mouth. Oddly enough, De Niro feels right at home here. It's as if his character from Meet the Parents went off the deep end and decided to go on a spring break road trip with Zac Efron. Seriously, his character is ex-special forces and everything. Efron also proves once again that he's a comedic force to be reckoned with playing the straight corporate man put in awkward social situations.

I don't know what people were expecting from Dirty Grandpa. Look at the title, look at the trailers. Are you really surprised? It was marketed as a gross-out comedy from day one, and guess what? It's gross. It's vile; it's degrading; it's shockingly inappropriate. Is it a good movie? Not a chance in hell. But the goal of a comedy is to make the viewer laugh, and Dirty Grandpa made me laugh. Hard.

Now, if you don't like offensive humor, you should stay the hell away from this. Just know what you're getting into before seeing Dirty Grandpa and you can definitely have some fun watching it.

Dirty grandpa is not some French love story, nor is it pretending to be

Author: fauvederuiter from Amsterdam
17 April 2016

I usually don't feel compelled writing a review, but when reading most reviews already posted I needed to add the following: People complained about the movie being raunchy and containing too much dirty jokes, what else did you expect.. it literally has the word "dirty" in the title. It is not some French romantic love story, nor is it pretending to be. It is a funny road trip story filled with a lot of "fucks" and childish (hilarious) jokes which if you like these kind of movies will definitely keep you entertained until the end. And, ultimately it even has a small underlying message to teach you.

If you are looking for something more serious, then please don't go and then complain after, maybe try checking out something else.

Probably the most unfunny thing I have seen this year

Author: Micke Kuwahara from Sapporo Japan
12 May 2016

It's a real low for De Niro and Efron and I can not in my wildest dreams understand why this movie got green light... I can laugh at funny sexual jokes, but this was at a level of 5 year old's. Complete waste of money and the actor's and my time... unless the actors actually found it funny, and in that case I must admit I am a bit surprised and disappointed. Besides the large amount of bad jokes, stupid, unfunny characters, an appalling backstory and completely flat non-engaging character developments, the writing is also completely worthless. There is nothing really wrong with the actors performances, maybe even better that one would expect considering the material they had to work with. Maybe they all had a good time making the movie and getting a few laughs at work, but the result was no laughing matter, I am sorry to say.

Did everyone here watch the same movie as me?

Author: locutis123 from United States
15 April 2016

The wife and I absolutely loved this movie and can't wait for it to come out on bluray! Sure it has a crude sense of humor in it, but nowadays that is pretty common.Sure it is not Deniro's type of movie that he normally does, but I think he did a great job in playing his part. All my friends that went to see this absolutely loved the movie as well. Funny to me from the beginning to the end. Maybe a lot of the older crowd went to see this and found it too offensive or something? Not sure? I mean, it is not a movie that you want to watch with your kids, but I highly recommend this one if you are not easily offended and have a sense of humor like I do! Come on people! One star? Really? This movie was great!

Another commercial movie which attempts to be funny

Author: Gabs from Bulgaria
19 June 2016

This might be a great movie for some audiences, obviously there are enough people who like such things, considering that they keep making them and they become box-office hits. This movie relies on the typical American exclusive sensation, on its dirtiness and dark humour. I'm a person who is able to take a joke and understands dark humour, but this movie is purely dirty, banal and unfunny. Many of the actors are overacting in their characters' dirtiness. It is pretty much a messed up commercial sh*t like Ted 2, except that at least there is not a living teddy bear married to a slutty drug addict (thank God). It's lame how they mix up the banal sentimental moments with the tasteless humour and the totally disgusting dirty moments which are supposed to be entertaining. It's full of movies like this that have banal plots plus random dumb moments filled with massive drug use. Other than that, it's well-shot. At least this we could expect to be nice. It's not too bad if we take the fact I watched it at home and managed to watch until the end.

De Niro - what were you thinking?

Author: bob-the-movie-man from United Kingdom
29 January 2016

Michael "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" Caine has never been averse to starring in more than his fair share of turkeys. Talking about "Jaws: The Revenge" he once said "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!" One can only assume that Robert De Niro has a similar attitude for getting involved in this dross.

For that is what it is. Directed by Dan Mazar ("I Give It A Year"), its a desperate attempt at a Spring Break-style ribald comedy that misses at virtually every level.

De Niro plays Dick (an appropriate name) who after a lifetime of marriage and on the day after his wife's funeral asks his grandson Jason (Zac Efron) to join him on a road-trip to Florida, with the singular aim of getting laid by a fresher a quarter his age. (You can already tell that this is all in the best possible taste). Jason - an accountant - is due to be married in the following week to the prissy and controlling Meredith (Julianne Hough), against Dick's wishes. Needless to say with this paper-thin plot, (and given that America is obviously such a small place) he runs into an old (and naturally sexy and gorgeous) school friend Shadia (Zoey Deutch). With Dick applying a 'certain set of skills' from his previous work (hasn't this plot been worked before in a De Niro comedy?) he wreaks maximum havoc in Daytona Beach in trying to lead Jason astray. Will he succumb and find true love rather than fall into a marriage of boring expectation.

What's there to like in this film? Well, there is some almost amusing sexual banter between de Niro and the nympho-like Lenore (Aubrey Plaza, and probably the best thing in the film). The great Danny Glover has a short cameo. The music used is well chosen(although the music editing seems extraordinarily inept). And if you are female (or male but gay) then the extended scenes of Efron's almost naked body might do something for you.

But on the flip side, there are few groups that this film won't manage to offend. About 75% of the script is the F-word. It portrays extensive and casual hard-drug use. The film is offensive to gay people. Offensive to deaf people. Offensive to cancer patients. Offensive to black people. And deeply offensive to lovers of cinema.

I have used enough words on this trash. Those UK readers who are old enough to remember the older style of film classification will remember that there was an 'A' rating. I would bring it back for this film, the 'A' standing for "Avoid". In fact, it was so offensive, the rating should be 'AA' for "Absolutely Avoid".

I have a monthly cinema card, so I got to see this film for 'free'. I was significantly overcharged.

(Please visit bob-the-movie-man.com for the graphical version of this review. Thanks.)

Dirty Grandpa

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
22 June 2016

'I haven't had sex in 15 years and I wanna f*ck! f*ck! f*ck! f*ck!' 'Oh, so that's what this is all about??'

Yes this is what this movie is all about, Robert De Niro's dirty grandpa character who has just lost his wife of 40 years, is now revealed to be a foul mouthed, booze obsessed pervert who wants to f*ck young girls. Its up to the young, clean cut and unaware Jason (Efron) to escort him from Georgia to his Florida retirement home. Aaand that's your movie in a nutshell people, sound familiar? well that's probably because its been done a sh*tzillion times before.

I mean honesty, who thought of this? who green-lit it? The entire concept is so cliché and dated, an old grandfather figure that turns out to be a dirty, loud mouthed, profanity spewing perv who also just happens to be an ex-special forces type so he can also kick ass if needs be. This of course means you're gonna get a sequence where he does indeed kick someone's ass much to the surprise of Jason his grandson. Naturally of course, the fact that grandpa is an ass- kicking, alcohol machine, means that the grandson character must be a total goodie goodie, a real preppy nerd type because its the perfect equal polar opposite match-up. Completely and utterly predictable, clichéd, corny and unoriginal, the characters literally lay out the ground plan for the plot without even having to write a single word of dialog for them.

And yes you've guessed it, that plot simply revolves around lots and lots and lots of binge drinking at parties, girls in skimpy bikinis, pool parties, beach parties, drinking, drugs, lame pranks, drinking, sex, nudity, drinking, jail time, muscle flexing and plenty of drinking. This is basically the modern frat boy flick minus any originality because frat boy flicks were a staple diet back in the 80's. So this odd pairing drive off on this road trip of sorts in an attempt to reach Florida. God knows how far they actually get because the entire flick is taken up with the duo getting into various parties so grandpa can try and get laid. This is against the wishes of a shocked Jason of course but he usually ends up getting tricked or drugged into it, then winds up enjoying it, then winds up waking up somewhere hungover and naked...or in jail, take your pick. The whole time Jason is also trying to hide all this outrageous behaviour from his very sexy, yet very prudish fiancée and his conservative parents. Anyway all I know is at one point they get to Daytona beach in Florida, no clue how they got there or how far they still had to go, but who cares.

Now in all honesty the casting for grandpa Dick with De Niro is pretty good. De Niro is the obviously the perfect age and he has that perfect persona where you're not really sure what he's actually like, he could easily be a dark horse. To that extent De Niro does the job well, as we know he's great at swearing and being tough, he still looks pretty tough, and he fits the rough ex-services persona well also. For all intense and purposes he could easily be playing yet another mobster type in a comedy, he never really swings too far from that schtick. As for Jason played by Efron, well to be honest the guy is too good looking and too muscular for this part. He isn't too bad with his comic timing and everything (surprisingly!), but when it came to sequences like the 'flex-off' on the beach and when he's generally topless, he's way too ripped! That's not a bad thing but I really think to get the right comedic affect they should of cast someone without a good physique, with bad hair, someone who's a bit geeky looking. That would at least be a good opposite to the rest of beach/party going extras who are generally all sexy boys and girls. The fact that Efron is way hotter than all of them kinda makes most of the sexual innuendo gags fall flat.

I must point out one character played by some bloke called Jason Mantzoukas. Oh my f*cking God this guy was so f*cking annoying I could of killed him, literally killed him. Who is this guy? where did he come from? why is he being cast in movies? is he supposed to be a funny guy? Holy sh*tstains this guy was dreadful, completely unfunny, everything just fell flat or totally missed the target by miles. His whole drug obsession spiel was just so f*cking clichéd, so old, so not funny! Yeah its so cool and amusing to do drugs or pretend to do drugs ha-ha-ha! Jesus Christ I was giggling at sh*t like this when I was a kid back in the mid 80's. Then you have the two corrupt cops, one male and one female, played by whoever, I don't care. Once again, completely not funny, not even close, just cringeworthy on every level, literally amateurish.

Yeah so bottom line, this is a piece of sh*t, an unfunny piece of modern day movie garbage. Not even De Niro or Efron's perfectly tanned torso can save this, its dribble of epic proportions with not a laugh in sight. That is of course...the thought of seeing De Niro's cock in Efron's face sounds good to you? Or 72 year old De Niro's character having sex with a supposed 20 something college student (Lenore) and then having a kid together (making Efron's character the uncle to his grandfathers newborn son and a college slut his new grandmother). Oh and then there's the real classy dialog between grandpa Dick and Lenore...'You're gonna tsunami on my face', 'You're gonna flood like the Nile', Nice.

If there was a lower rating than awful, I would have used it

Author: johngarrett911 from United States
28 April 2016

Dirty Grandpa isn't just a awful movie, it's a horribly awful movie. I'm far from being a feminist but I found this movie denigrating and embarrassing to all women. When satire fails to be funny, its just crude and vulgar contempt. It was torturous and embarrassing for me to watch a legendary Hollywood icon conscientiously degrade himself in such a way. Was it an insatiable desire for money or an insatiable desire to express his outdated 1960s counter-cultural views that inspired Robert De Niro to lend his namesake to this awful movie? Its a low-point for everyone involved, especially for movie fans. Dirty Grandpa is one of the worst movies I've seen and it will likely end up near the top of my list of all-time worst movies.

A Time-wasting movie ... Don't Watch it !!!

Author: derarbat from France
12 May 2016

I never reviewed a movie before, but this movie deserves reviewing ... well, negative one!.

It is super bad movie, and simply it's not funny at all !!!. It's all about sex and some silly jokes. In addition, this movie was very racial in term of genders, races, religions, etc.

I wanted to stop watching it half-an-hour after it stared, but I said let's continue watching, and finally it was just a time-wasting movie. Please, Don't waste two hours of your life watching this film.

In fact, I regret that I watched this movie and I would give it 0/10 rating if possible :(

not that bad, actually, given the expectations

Author: stefanpuiuro from Romania
16 April 2016

This movie isn't actually that bad; it certainly doesn't deserve the endless line of 1-star reviews. I went to see it with very, very low expectations, after reading a negative review of it, and ended up enjoying quite a bit of it.

Even from the trailer you can tell this is a silly, childish comedy with plenty of toilet and/or sexual humor. I don't know what people came to expect from it - this certainly doesn't attempt to be anything else besides that. Maybe many people aren't used to seeing De Niro in such a role, but hey, he's done other silly comedies already. Not all the jokes are that great, but it was good fun nevertheless.

So, definitely childish, definitely silly, but also definitely funny in my book. I even ended up feeling for De Niro's character - hey, it's his last stand after all. So, if you don't expect much and aren't easily offended by jokes that sometimes are a bit too silly / gross /etc, you might even enjoy this!

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]