IMDb > "House of Cards" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"House of Cards"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"House of Cards" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Pioneering Perfection

Author: Jimmy Ryan from New Zealand
2 February 2013

I firmly believe that one of the major aspects of what makes House of Cards so good is the ability to watch all the episodes back-to-back with no commercials or programming schedules to get in the way. This small but hugely significant idea will be an industry game changer and I am certain that this is just the beginning

To me, the biggest advantage that this idea contributes to House of Cards is that it frees up significant time during episodes because it makes things like flashbacks or repeats of events almost completely redundant. There's simply no need for them because everything is so fresh in your mind, which leaves all that extra time for more story, more action, more conspiracy, more drama, more of the stuff that viewers really want to see. However it must be said that it does take a few episodes to get used to this, and you have to be really switched on and completely focused to ensure you don't miss a beat, because you really will pay a price if you do because what's said is never repeated, only referenced further down the track

As for the show itself, I can't sum it up any better than by saying it's incredibly good to watch. The one aspect of the show I enjoy the most is the monologue, or removal of the fourth wall, between the viewer and Underwood. It's an incredibly effective method of storytelling as well as the expression of emotion or opinion, and Kevin Spacey does a superb job at pulling it off, along with every other aspect of his complex and intriguing character.

The quality of writing, directing, and storytelling is as good as you'll ever see on the best shows in the world right now. Underwood has a massive ship to steer, and it is fascinating watching how he does it, through manipulation, blackmail, greed and determination. Each and every character has a critical role to play - there's no characters you could cast aside as being irrelevant or unnecessary to the story. That is a very difficult feat to achieve, and House of Cards easily passes that test

If you're going to pioneer something, like Netflix have with how viewers can watch House of Cards, you have to do it well. Everything has to be perfect, otherwise it will flop. A top quality show in House of Cards coupled with the worlds best internet streaming service is a very very good place to start. Netflix and the House of Cards team deserve a huge round of applause for daring to go places where no one has gone before. The $100 million gamble has definitely paid off, and I cannot wait for more

Needless to say, House of Cards earns a 10/10 rating, and an absolute must-watch from me

An American Twist on a British Classic

Author: geekster-6 from Canada
1 February 2013

When I thought about Francis Urquhart of the original House of Cards series, I could not help but imagine Kevin Spacey in a way that was similar but a role of his own making. Spacey's role of Francis Underwood, in Netflix's original series, is nothing short of a tour de force. The convenience of being able to watch the whole season right away is also something to mention as a new, fresh and exciting method of television excellence. No longer do we have to wait and be fed slowly the episodes as we wonder what might happen and find ourselves somewhat disappointed -- now we can be swept away. And that's exactly what will happen to you when you sit down to watch this. 13/10.

Netflix's Foray into Original Programming is off to a Promising Start

Author: Caterpillar_City from Pennsylvania
1 February 2013

Fans of David Fincher and Kevin Spacey have been eagerly looking forward to House of Cards. Not only is this an opportunity to see an elite Hollywood director and actor take on a new medium, but it represents Netflix's first attempt at original programming (I guess Lilyhammer came first, but House of Cards is a much bigger investment for Netflix). The CEO of Netflix has said that House of Cards is meant to be a show on the quality level of the top cable stations, such as HBO, and the final product delivers on this promise.

House of Cards follows several characters involved in the political scene in Washington D.C., including politicians of various rank and influence (Kevin Spacey is a House Majority Whip in the House of Representatives) and an upcoming reporter played brilliantly by Kate Mara, who you may recognize from the first season of American Horror Story. The cast in uniformly excellent and thrives under Fincher's direction. Occasionally, Kevin Spacey's character will talk directly to the camera and offer some narration, which is the only area where the show stumbles, but it isn't too distracting. Speaking of Fincher's direction, it shouldn't come as any surprise to know that House of Cards looks great. The atmosphere is moody and resembles a tone somewhere between The Game and The Social Network. The music is equally good, complementing the mood of the show without becoming overbearing.

Being a political drama, one could be understandably weary of taking the plunge into a 13 episode season if they don't find politics interesting, but that shouldn't be a concern. The writing is sharp, engaging and clear, and the characters are interesting and well developed. The editing helps: it is tight and keeps the plot moving briskly, making the political intrigue both exciting and easy to follow.

Netflix has really created something impressive with House of Cards. When hearing that an online streaming service was creating an original show, some may have been concerned that it would be cheap looking and generally not on par with what AMC, FX, Showtime, and HBO are offering. Well, Netflix got some talented people and gave them the money to make something good, and the product speaks for itself. House of Cards comes highly recommended.

Excellent!

Author: Ryan Butler from United States
1 February 2013

Just watched the first episode. It is outstanding in every sense of the word. Fist of all I'd like to say, Kevin Spacey is amazing. He's not the dull politician we're used to seeing, he's a deeply written character with nuances to his actions and speaking. You can definitely see Fincher's style in the first episode, at least. It contains some of the similar themes he has tackled before in his film and adds to those. He crafts the story very tightly woven and complex. Kate Mara is also great, she adds to the list of modern Fincher characters. I love the points of satire in Spacey's character and some of the symbolism used. The show is outstanding in every aspect, unlike a lot of other political dramas on TV, can't wait to watch the next episodes.

Definitely a must watch for any fan of TV or Fincher or anyone interested in this.

As good as the original

Author: howard-88 from United Kingdom
2 February 2013

I was so looking forward to this, having been a big fan of the original BBC series, with its masterful central performance by Ian Richardson. In fact when I logged in to Netflix (like a lot of people, this show is my sign-up moment), I realised that my expectation level was really high.

Within the first 30 seconds, Kevin Spacey's character Frank Underwood has killed something- in this case dispatching an unfortunate dog which has been hit by a hit and run driver. And as the political intrigue starts to develop around him, Spacey just fills the screen. By the end of the first episode, it isn't so much that you have forgotten Ian Richardson as Urqhuart, Underwood's British cousin, but realised that Spacey is taking us somewhere different.

With Francis Urqhuart you got the impression he was always a psychopath, waiting for the trigger to start his Macchiavellian and murderous rise. Underwood seems to be just a more clever, more ruthless and less hypocritical politician than those around him. The fundamentals of the show - the scorned and bitter political back room fixer, the Lady Macbeth figure of Francis' wife, the ambitious young woman journalist, but all updated.

Mrs Underwood is no Tory wife, waiting "in the country" while her husband charts his rise to power. She is the one giving him the backbone to do it. And as we see her brutally wielding the axe at the charity in which she works, it becomes clear she is no slouch in the ruthlessness stakes herself.

The character of Zoe Barnes, the young reporter, is in a lot of ways more rounded than Matty Storin in the British version. Here she is ballsy, ambitious and a bit ruthless herself. While she retains the innocence of the character, she gives the impression she thinks she knows what she is doing. Which will make later episodes much more juicy as she realises she is way over her head.

The show is shot beautifully, as you'd expect from the calibre of the team behind it, and the production values are excellent. Supporting roles are great. It looks like a movie or The West Wing before they ran out of money.

But the undisputed joy of this series is Spacey, who is a more world-weary, more cynical Francis, and who is setting about his task of revenge and ambition much like he destroyed the unlucky dog at the start of episode 1: its an unpleasant task but someone has to do it.

Spacey is every bit as good as Ian Richardson in this show and Netflix's big gamble deserves to pay off.

Breathtakingly good show

Author: mflynn-4 from United Kingdom
2 February 2013

From the start, Kevin Spacey captivates & impresses with his his portrayal as the Machiavellian chief whip. The dialogue is superb, the editing tight, & the plot moves at just the right pace.

I'm 7 episodes in at the moment & so far it hasn't missed a beat. I remember the original house of cards on the BBC in the early 90's, & at first hearing there would be a US remake, had some concerns, how would they ever match up to the quality & acting, would they still do the Jacobean theatre style breaking of the 4th wall speaking directly to the audience? I needn't have worried, Kevin Spacey handles the role with aplomb, although Ian Richardson originally had a hint of a twinkle in his eye when about to pull peoples strings, Kevin Spacey is far more emotionless, cold blooded & menacing. Both work equally for the part.

Launching on Netflix was a brave move & I really appreciate being able to binge on episode after episode, of this exciting intelligent new drama.

Best political drama since the West Wing

Author: njwaldera19 from United States

Outstanding! Outstanding!

After watching the first episode I had to continue watching all the episodes. It's edgy, sexy and with a bit of dark humor. Francis Underwood is the first democrat I would ever vote for. The characters are well developed and extremely well casted. Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey are phenomenal and the supporting cast keeps the show moving smoothly and with no drop in continuity. With only a minor amount of policy discussed, it is easy to follow for the non political enthusiasts. Congrats Netflix and I hope there's more like this to come.

Delicious plot, cast, and design

Author: markers-2 from Los Angeles
3 February 2013

As I was describing the show to a friend, I couldn't help but use the adjective "delicious." The characters are so strong, manipulative, and persuasive. Viewers come to "House of Cards" for political thrills, for back-door deals, and for machinations, and the series feeds your appetite.

Spacey's performance is, of course, phenomenal. I was particularly impressed by Wright, I found her character the most intriguing of the series.

The series is filmed beautifully, each scene screams production value, and this is perfect.

The series has some occasional and blatant product placement that definitely ruined the tone; however, if these infrequent advertisements enabled the creation of the series: advertise away.

Great, great, great

Author: Morgan Krane from United States
1 February 2013

This is an excellent effort by Fincher and Netflix, and helped reestablished some long waning confidence I've been having in the modern movie/TV studios model. They have finally given us what we want, good shows without forcing loud, obnoxious commercials down our throat, and at a reliable price. The real question is, is it sustainable? I think it is, but we'll have to wait and see. I was really excited to find out about this show and yet surprised that I hadn't found out about it sooner. Netflix hardly did any marketing on this series, and as a Netflix subscriber, I never came across it on their site or elsewhere. I only found out about this reading through David Fincher's IMDb page looking to find what his next project would be. Today is the first day the series is available, and there are banner ads on websites like the NY Times, but wow, I can't believe they didn't try to build up more buzz than this. Well, with a new revolutionary series model, I guess Netflix determined they also need a new marketing model as well. I can't wait to see the rest of season 1, but am also looking forward to more offerings from Netflix. Finally, a party just for the viewers and the creators, but without those annoying middle mad men.

First three episodes: No expense spared

Author: Film-Slave from United States
2 February 2013

This is a splendid production, top notch casting, Spacey is back on his game after a recent career of missteps, boondoggles and occasional brilliance.

Robin Wright as Claire Underwood, wife to Spacey's character, is stunning -- even Underwood's office manager Evelyn (not credited) brings credence to the cast.

Kate Mara (older sister of Rooney Mara) is fantastic as a go-getter of a reporter who manages to push through what Spacey's character knows will benefit both of them. She knows her assets, but just barely.

There are numerous directors involved, it will be interesting to see how they handle their segments, and if the series can persist in making reprehensible characters intriguing, and earnest characters look clueless.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]