IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Retribution

Resident Evil: Retribution More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 44: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Losing my interest

Author: christy-mack from United Kingdom
10 December 2012

Firstly I would like to say I am a Fan of the Resident evil franchise, and have enjoyed them as a collection. As you would imagine some have out done the others. After watching Afterlife, it had my Res E juices flowing again as it had impressive action sequences with new ideas.

Retribution - started out really cool Loving the slow mo reverse action as the opening credits rolled, although as cool as this was I felt it lingered a little too long and lost a little credibility.

Overall I was disappointed with the movie as a whole, some of the action seemed a little tired but on a positive note they did gain the computer game feel with the zone by zone stage by stage escape route.

Although i feel this one missed the mark slightly, they have most definitely left it open for a final movie so lets hope they rekindle the coolness that has dampened.

all in all an entertaining watch but nothing to shout about.

I'm a fan of the franchise...

Author: Sherazade from United States
28 April 2013

The Resident Evil franchise is very successful and relevant for a reason, it has a loyal fan-base and the movies are made in a way that avid gamers who play the video game version of the films can see and appreciate that the films were made with them (the players who have made the game popular) in mind. If you are not one of the people described in the previous sentence, then it's quite possible that you will have qualms with project Alice and the RE saga. I am a fan of both the video games and the film series so I did not have any problems with this edition, in fact I loved the idea of them bringing back villains and scorned characters from the previous series of films for Alice to face-off with. Leon S Kennedy has finally been cast but unfortunately he's not who we (fans) were thinking he would be. Sigh. Still it's a great watch and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Unbelievably Disappointed.

Author: GraveDigerGrace from United Kingdom
16 February 2013

As a number one fan of the Resident Evil Video Games and Books, when the first movie came out, I was most certainly not upset they had invented Alice - or changed the storyline. But this film, is a complete and utter insult to every single fan of the RE games. And Movies for that matter. Not only does is not have a single trace of a plot, but it each character must have around five lines throughout the incredibly short film. Also, the lack of zombies after the first twenty minutes is ridiculous - heck, isn't that what the whole thing is about? A Virus that turns people into hungry, flesh eating monsters, whilst the remaining survivors, police and military crew battle it out against them? Not this film. One very annoying thing about it was that the characters would carry out hard core fighting scenes (which are actually brilliant by the way) with numerous broken bones (ribs, arm bones, leg bones, the lot) - now surely this is a minor catch? On the bright side, the action shots were indeed brilliant and so were the first twenty minutes of the film - taking us back to a suburbia horror-zombie feel, it was very enjoyable but very scary indeed. So if you like action, some zombies and a lot of gun shots, then this is the film for you.

Waste of time

Author: MKProcks66
19 January 2013

I always like zombie movies. There are so many zombie movies that I like. But for Resident evil movies I always feel different. Zombies in this movie are different than other classical zombies. Though I liked 1st and 2nd movie of this series. But then later movies were not so impressive.

And now I watched Retribution and I can say that if it would have been a video game rather than a movie then I would have definitely enjoyed this. This movie was so predictable. While watching this movie you can tell what is going to happen next. Same old actions, same old monsters, same old faces .Paul W.S. Anderson was good in directing 1st movie, but I couldn't understand what he was thinking while creating this movie. If you like actions without bothering about story, then I hope you will like it... Yeah I just hope, I am not sure, even in that case also. Honestly saying, I didn't like any moment of this movie. It was completely wastage of time and a successful try to ruin this franchise at least for me.

Weakest Film in Series, But It Would Make a Terrific Video Game

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
7 January 2013

The Resident Evil movies have for years been a source of mindless popcorn fun, stylish, violent and fast paced. Retribution follows the same basic pattern, but it doesn't do it quite as well, resulting in a movie with some entertaining sequences that winds up feeling rather pointless and very nonsensical.

The film begins very well, with a big battle shown backwards in slow-mo. This is followed by a purposefully disorienting scene and then a few minutes of the traditional sight of Milla half-naked. Then we get some more wild, puzzling action scenes.

So far, so good.

The central gimmick behind the varied locations of the movie, which include the suburbs and Tokyo, allows for some cool scenes, but also put the movie in danger of feeling episodic, a danger blithely ignored by the director. It is also one of these gimmicks that doesn't make much sense, and as the movie progresses, the number of things that don't make sense multiply. The movie also has the least character development of any in the series, which is saying a lot.

This should not be a movie, this should be a video game. Video games, for better or worse, have low story requirements, and work well in an episodic format. In fact, the "greatest hits" quality of the action, which brings back old locations and old monsters, reminded me of the game The Umbrella Chronicles.

I still found this fairly entertaining, although I was torn between giving it 6 stars or 5. This movie looks like it's a set up for a series finale, but I'm not sure if the makers have any fresh ideas left for another movie; this one recycles a lot. Still, it wasn't so bad that I won't watch the next one when it comes out.

Lots of style and action

Author: kosmasp
3 January 2013

So there is not a lot of story in this. Are you really surprised? What made you think there would be a huge grand story hidden somewhere here? If that's what you're expecting, well you will be more than disappointed. If you go into this expecting to be entertained with great CGI and some good 3-D effects (better than the previous movie, obviously the technical advances come into effect, still not as good as in animated movies of course!).

You'll get some familiar faces (the reason why is explained pretty neat) and some deja vus thrown in. But it's not a best of, of what happened until now. It's a stepping stone to the next movie (don't tell me you didn't see that one coming either!). And it looks like that one might actually fulfill some of what people thought this would be like ...

They Shoot Zombies

Author: suburbandit from United States
24 December 2012

I don't know what everyone is whining about, but get over it. This movie is no worse than the past two or three RE movies that have come out, which admittedly were pretty awful. I actually found this one slightly more entertaining. I thought the acting was on par with previous RE films (take that as you will), except for the actress that played Jill Valentine, whose ham-handed line delivery stunk up the movie. Of course the plot wasn't anything groundbreaking (or all that interesting), but how is this different than any of the other RE movies we've seen since the first one? The premise has always pretty much been the same: Mila Jovovich gets in a hot outfit and lays the beatdown on zombies. You want depth, go rent Doctor Zhivago. You want auteurism, watch some Fellini. This is a very simple formula for a very simple franchise: hot chick, shoots guns, kills stuff. Are you really complaining about the realism of a movie inspired by a video game about mutant zombies? Take this movie franchise for what it is intended to be, and maybe you won't wet your pants with shock and disappointment when the next installment inevitably comes out.

Enjoy it for what it is... ENTERTAINMENT.

Author: tex308 from Sydney, Australia
5 April 2013

I have read lots of reviews saying this movie lacks plot and is like watching a video game! WELL......The whole "Resident Evil" movie franchise is based off a video game! There is not much plot, a tiny bit of character development, but that is not what you watch this movie for. Like many people say, turn off your brain and enjoy the eye candy. The 3D version is also excellent, with the 3D shot very well and not over used. Settings and CGI are all well created. Zombies look quite generic, but the "Boss" monster is pretty awesome! Not much else to say but highly recommended for any gamers or people wanting some brainless action eye candy!

very, very disappointed, what happened???

Author: George53092 from United States
24 January 2013

I thought this movie was pretty bad compared to the other 4 films. i am a big fan of the games and the movies. i enjoy them both and you can't compare them to each other. anyway, this movie had the potential to be one of the best in the series with all the returning actors, but seriously the acting wasn't terrible but it wasn't very good either. but, the movie just lost what it originally had in the first 4 films. the final fight at the end was just cringing to watch and the movie just failed to live up to my expectations. of course if i find the movie for like $5 i will buy it to complete my resident evil movie collection, but it is definitely my least favorite in the series next to Extinction. who else agrees? i was looking forward to this movie for like a year and a half, i am so let down.

"Resident Evil: Retribution" manages to be an action film many will find unbearable to sit through

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
29 December 2012

I always find it interesting when an action film feels weighted down in tedium. No matter how many things explode on screen or how much people jump around shooting with semi-automatic rifles, it just can't rile up any sense of excitement. These were my thoughts when reflecting on "Resident Evil: Retribution" after weathering through an hour and a half of tired action movie clichés, slow motion cinematography, and 3D gimmicks.

Alice (Milla Jovovich) wakes up in an underwater Umbrella facility where she must travel through different T-virus testing simulations to escape. Along the way, she meets up with an associate of Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts) named Ada (Li Bingbing). She informs her that Wesker is trying to help her escape to join his fight against the Umbrella Corporation and the undead. Wesker also put together a team made up of Leon S. Kennedy (Johann Urb), Barry Burton (Kevin Durand), and Luther West (Boris Kodjoe) to retrieve the two girls.

Alice and her rescuers come up against different varieties of the undead as well as a group of familiar faces the Red Queen (Ave Merson-O'Brian) is using to intimidate and fight against them. The team is led by a brainwashed Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory) and made up of clones of Alice's dead associates including Rain (Michelle Rodriguez), Carlos (Oded Fehr) and James "One" Shade (Colin Salmon). Can Alice get to safety and discover why her old opponent Wesker needs her help so bad?

I know the movie is based on a video game, but does "Resident Evil: Retribution" have to feel like I'm just watching someone else play it? A script is almost non-existent as the film takes viewers through different simulated "testing" grounds for at least an hour of the 95- minute running time. Just like in a video game, you go into a room with a character, defeat whatever monsters are in it, and then move on to the next one and do it all again. If I wanted to play the game, I would have just rented the latest version and skipped this mess.

Director / writer Paul W.S. Anderson found a way to shove as many of the old characters from the other movies into this one through his use of clones as assassins and gunners for the Umbrella Corporation. Besides Michelle Rodriguez's Rain, the other returning actors have little to do except shoot guns while running and jumping around on wires.

The CGI and visual effects aren't too bad. However, the final sequence of the movie looks like it was pulled straight off of Capcom's game. It looks ridiculously animated and really closes the film on a negative note. There also seems to be some kind of synthetic sheen over any scenes featuring Jovovich that give them an artificial air.

"Resident Evil: Retribution" is a disappointing entry in the franchise. I watched "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" after watching this and it just furthermore pounded home how laborious "Retribution" is. Many enthusiasts of these movies may find themselves feeling like they're sitting on a couch with their hands tied behind their backs while being forced to watch a friend play "Resident Evil 6" for an hour and a half. It's just not a very pleasant predicament to find yourself in.