IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Retribution

Resident Evil: Retribution More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 44: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A surprising fun ride

Author: JamesMitchell451
13 August 2013

I came into this movie prepared to hate on this movie, I was prepared to DESTROY it. Yet, in the end I actually dug this film. Is it a good movie? Oh hell no, but I had a blast with this installment, and it is one of (If not the) the best video game movies yet. The plot of Retribution has Alice captured by Umbrella Corporation and basically trapped in their underground facility which (Spoiler alert, for those who actually pay attention to the plot of these movies) is run by the Red Queen A.I from the first film, who has since then gone even more homicidal since then, now Alice must stop her from exterminating humanity. The story is dumb, yet it helps propel the film forward and the pacing is always moving forward, it never stops and that is a good thing here. The script has taken several huge leaps since the last installments, while its not "Good" it is more humane, funny, quirky, and entertaining. I also really like how they brought in almost everyone from the games, such as the swagged out Leon Kennedy and Barry Burton, along with some returning faces from earlier installments like "One" and "Rain". I found their interactions with each other interesting and they truly felt like characters from the game (Which is good or bad, depending on your point of view). The best part of this film (Which came as a surprise to me) was the action scenes. The battles are EPIC, and so much fun to watch, they had me by the balls and kept me engaged throughout. The special effects have also taken a major leap forward, and the constantly changing scenery helps keep things fresh. While I don't consider Retribution a good film, matter of fact: its stupid. Yet I had a massive amount of fun with it. It's the clear-cut place of a guilty pleasure for me, and now I'm curious to see how the next installment is. And as for those gamers mad that the movies aren't like the games I say this: Have you seen or played Resident Evil 5, or better yet Resident Evil 6? Those games are quite stupid, especially in their plot and dialogue, and if you disagree then I actually feel sorry for you.

Another great installment.

Author: Jake Creighton from United Kingdom
6 June 2013

As an avid fan of the Resident Evil video game series, I have enjoyed all of the Resident Evil films, including this latest installment. While this film may not, critically speaking, be a brilliant film, I personally enjoyed it. Despite the fact that the films do not follow the exact plot of the video games, they still contain plenty of the characters, monsters and elements of the video games, much to the delight of fans like myself, especially the first appearance of my favorite character from the video games, Leon Kennedy. I recommend this for movie goers who enjoy the occasional random action film and for the fans of the video game series. A fantastic reverse intro sequence and plenty of action.

Delivers what you would expect…action, action and some more action

Author: p-jonsson from France
3 February 2013

This movie is the 5th installment in the Resident Evil series. Why would you want to watch this movie? Why would you want to watch any Resident Evil movie come to think about? Good acting…nope. Intelligent and intriguing plot…absolutely not. Zombies…yep. Action…most definitely yes! Anything else…well if you're member of the younger part of the average male population you probably watch it for Milla Jovovich as well.

Now that we have established the baseline for the movie, does this movie deliver? The answer to that is, without a doubt, YES! This film delivered exactly what I expected of it. As I mentioned it is the 5th movie in the series and the entire series is sprung from a video game in the first place so it should really be no surprise that the film is one long video game action sequence sporadically interrupted with some dialog. Yet a lot of people seems to expect something else and judges the movie by those expectations.

I think those really low rating are quite unfair. The movie does indeed deliver what I think you should expect. A lot of the action scenes are marvelous. The slow motion scenes are well done and enjoyable unlike some movies where they are just annoying. The zombies and other monsters are good. And yes, I confess that, although I'm hardly among the younger part of the male audience anymore I do like watching Milla Jovovich jumping around in the scenes in those ridiculous skin tight suits.

If I should complain about anything it would be that I sat through half the movie being annoyed that nobody would get the, painfully obvious, idea to rip that red mind control gizmo off Jill's chest. When it was finally done in the end it was like "did you really have to take that long to get that idea into your head you dumb bastards".

I cannot really give the movie a top rating since it does lack much of a story after all but I certainly think it is worth 7 out of 10 stars. I enjoyed myself a lot while watching it. The ending is the usual video-game-movie cliff-hanger and I really hope they make another sequel now when Alice got her powers back. That she lost those was one of the big downers for me in one of the previous movies in the franchise.

"Resident Evil: Retribution" Rewards the Resident Evil Fans with Sci-Fi, Action, Horror, and 3D!

Author: Adrian Val Olonan from Philippines
17 December 2014

I simply don't get it that some people hate the Resident Evil film franchise for setting up a storyline different to the video game. If they have the same plot, the films will become a 90-minute cosplay skit or a live-action playthrough! The film snobs keep calling this "trash" and "terrible", but let's see if they can generate over $900 million in box office revenue. This is now the fifth film in the franchise and Paul WS Anderson definitely knows what he's doing.

Locations are more diverse than the predecessors. Alice finds herself in Los Angeles's seaside, Tokyo, New York, Moscow, an American suburb, Kamchatka, and Washington DC. The enemies are more and fiercer. The trailer boasts a very large Licker, which is so much better version against the 2002 monster. The 3D is maximized, unlike in Disney's "Frozen". The story runs smooth, though lacking in emotions at times. The action sequences are so better than Marvel's "The Avengers". Jump scares are present. Plot twists include location, characters' fates, and Umbrella's next moves, and they're all awesome. This is the "Resident Evil" film with the most stunts yet, making it high- octane.

Gun reloading is an issue here. But other action movies are guilty of this flaw, so I tolerate the illogic.

Milla Jovovich is an action star and her husband Anderson is an action movie director. Thus, "Retribution" is their best "baby" yet. A positive film reviewer said that this is the biggest and best "Resident Evil" movie yet, I entirely agree with him! I honestly cannot wait for the sixth and allegedly final film that I search for it every week for updates!

resident enough already

Author: torstensonjohn from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
15 December 2012

What can one say about beating a dead horse. Based off the ever popular video game series these movies started out as a super power in the syfy/action saga. Tapping Milla Jovovich (Fifth Element, Resident Evil, The Fourth Kind, .45) being the bad ass lead and being simply gorgeous to boot was clever. The first three films in the series were great success's and did superb at the box office, as I'm sure the rest will and have as well. However, the series has gotten off track and the last two films have been terrible in acting and the CGI is an abomination. Do not get me wrong I love me some Milla and the video game is killer, yet the series needs a drastic overhaul and re-boot if they are going to continue.

Did I mention Milla Jovovich is stunning.

Such a let down, this is what happens when..

Author: andyjcox from United Kingdom
23 October 2012

This film is such a let down and by far the weakest in the series, this is what happens when film directors listen to fans on the internet.

I love the Resident Evil franchise and have been a fan since the first game. I was looking forward to seeing Retribution as I knew it continued straight where the last film left off.

The last few films have been really enjoyable but after each film the forums are full of people voicing their own opinions to how the film should be more like the game. When will people realise films fully based on games are terrible! This film looks like the Director has unfortunately listened to the fans and made this film to be a game with level and lives which I feel ruined the film and seems to be any old excuse to get actors the director has worked with in the past back in the film even if they were previously killed off!

The opening sequence was good and I settled into the film but then it takes the route of computer game and the film takes a dive from here.

There is no tension in the fight scenes.

I hope they make another Resi Evil so they can fix everything that is wrong in this film.

RE: Retribution worth watching or totally useless?

Author: robiisgod from Croatia
19 September 2012

Well, how to even start? I was looking forward to seeing this film, but didn't have high expectations and that was a good start.

The initial trilogy had sense and a bit of realism, but the last two...well, to be quite honest I don't even know what the hell am I watching, except sexy Milla Jovovich and enormously high quantity of CGI and action scenes.

I remember when I've seen the first RE. It was different, scary, action packed, but about the T-virus, zombies and escaping the HIVE. The second one continued with the recipe and I was blown away when they introduced Nemesis. It was such an action movie with a soul and then they gave Alice super powers. Which was kinda cool. The whole concept of being a mutant in an empty, soulless world as shown in Extinction...was once again different and fun to watch. The fourth one, tricky at least, I was happy to see more characters from the game series, but somehow I feel new characters was all it brought. It managed to keep me on edge. i was waiting, expecting and at the end...NOTHING. Kind of disappointing, but it gave a hint that everything will be clarified in Retribution.

It gave a hint, but after the brilliant opening scene, recapitulating all the past events, we receive mindless CGI fighting scenes, no answers considering the Afterlife, just three questions; 1) How is Wesker ALIVE? 2) What the hell is this story about? 3) What's with the whole CLONE idea which was dumb even back in the 90s?????

This movie is fun to watch if you like mindless action, but if you prefer a good story and motivation for the characters, then you'll find yourself disappointed. Even the zombies became secondary in this title - weird, considering this is a horror/zombie franchise.

To conclude, i sure hope RE6 will return to its roots in some way and bring back REALISM and DEPTH to its story, considering it will probably be the last one, so at least don't screw it up, but conclude it in a respectful and decent way as it begun back in 2002.

Loved It!

Author: gerardphendrix from United States
10 February 2013

I'm not quite sure what all the negative reviews are about, except that some were expecting something other than classic Alice and great cgi, this is not a drama or a love story which we have enough of! To me this was a great movie, the script was good,cgi and of course the acting. Mila always comes through and i always love the directors not totally relying on her to carry a movie the other actors were great as well.If you want a crappy love story or some drama which we have enough of yea move on, But if you want an action-packed movie with big explosions blood and some gore with those crazy looking zombie like creatures we all love then by all means sit back and enjoy because this movie delivers.

Lots of action no substance

Author: john carter from United States
12 December 2012

The CGI was pretty good and Mila looks great, but the movie was silly and boring to watch. I've seen all of the Resident Evils and this one was the worst. Some of the fight scenes were good, with good Matrix like action. I never understood in some movies, how you can kick someone across the room and they get up like they were slapped and unfortunately this movie has that kind of fighting. Jill Valentine looked pretty hot in this movie, but her acting really sucked. I would put this one on the director and the writers. I am hoping the next Resident Evil is an improvement, but I am not holding my breath if they do not change directors.

One hour and an half without emotions

Author: ajejebrazov1000 from Italy
22 November 2012

I watched the first two movies of the Resident Evil series, then I jump to this, and I'm very disappointed. While the first movie was an innovation, and all scenery was well-made, this chapter looks like a movie that was shot in a empty room and all details are added using computer graphics. This is a loss of realism, I thought I was playing a video game instead of watching a movie. This feeling was amplified by the absence of mimic of the actors, and by the foregrounds, too often used by director.

Secondly, the story is poor: without adding any spoiler to this post, I can confirm that no scary scenes are included, no suspense or twists in the story, but only a great amount of spectacular (and unrealistic) shooting scene. Furthermore think that every spectator can easily predict the following scene.

Finally, the 3D version seen on theater is "flat": there are few scenes with a deep 3D (the opposite of "Avangers" for example), so if you want to see the movie in 2D you don't miss anything.

In conclusion, this movie losses the horror-thriller characteristics of the first chapter and the massive use of computer graphics divides the spectator from dynamic of the movie.

The only thing I can save is the beauty of the actresses.