IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Retribution

Resident Evil: Retribution More at IMDbPro »

Page 26 of 44: [Prev][21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [Next]

Resident Evil: Rehash

Author: stravsky from United Kingdom
2 December 2012

Slick and stylish graphics couldn't elevate Resident Evil: Retribution above what is in essence a 2 hour platform game that fails to engage the audience beyond its visuals. Even more so than other Resident Evil offerings, this movie's plot carried no great suspense or foreboding. In fact, predicting what was coming next, who would survive and who would be killed off in order to dramatize the potential dangers faced by the main characters, couldn't have been more obvious had they been wearing a Star Trek redshirt.

Resident Evil: Retribution did, at least, have a few enjoyable scenes, such as the ones set in American Suburbia. Overall, however, this film felt like a very mild bit of foreplay ahead of the next installment hinted at at the end of this movie. I just hope that one goes off with a bang. (bigbadmoviereviews)

Is it really that bad?

Author: Golden Arts from Sweden
1 December 2012

There really isn't much to say about this movie in all honesty.

Its the worst of them all, and the story line is nonexistent.

But is it really that bad? Both yes and no.

Most RE fans will watch this movie regardless if had 0.1 out 10. Most of you will actually enjoy the 1.5 hour of entertainment if offers you.

However, it is hard to actually explain why this is so bad.

The characters are disappointing ( except Ada Wong ) The story line is disappointing.

However, the VFX is by todays standard quite amazing, and thats the main reason you go see this movie, well, and to follow the "story"

The action however, gets stupid many times, thats why the effects sometime feels like a waste of space and time.

6/10 is probably to high tbh, but I'm speaking mainly for the fans of the RE genre, and if you really think back after watching this movie you find out that the story really isn't that bad.

So why is it so bad yet it isn't?

The problem occurs here when the very very bad of music, effects, action, acting, story etc-etc gets mixed up with some of the very well made moments of the movie, you don't know what the hell to say about it at all and just finds everything confusing.

What bothers me most personally is all the unrealistic moments that occurs with movies like this tho.

For example: When the bad guys always miss with their weapons, people scream just to reveal themselves, or when the bioweapons activated by the red queen have spikes trough their entire body and a big bag around their face can see everything around them and have to carry a big axe as weapon instead of just using a super-big mini-gun with thousands of bullets. I guess there's a random reason for that as well ( after all they are inside umbrella and they control the entire environment )

Or... when they never go out of bullets, yet they are almost completely naked.

This is what you have to take tho, so many movies made loads of these big mistake's that they are commonly accepted probably.

Eaither way, the movie is worth watching for the end only tho, I promise.

Golden Arts scores this movie a 6/10. Its not worth paying for IMO, still worth watching when you have time to kill.

The kid

Author: Robert Lorentzen from Sweden
30 November 2012

I though this was a zombie film but disappointment was written all over me.

The kid was the only one that gave me some emotional response during the movie, hurray. Else this was a let down. Im a Resident Evil fan and I liked the new game that came out but this is just awful.

The zombies were... well, lets just leave it at that.

No point going into the depths of this film since you wont find it. I only started feeling a bit excited at the end scene.. shame.

Overall, the acting was robotic, the story wasn't really there and everything was way too rush.

This was just wrong, oh-so-wrong...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
30 November 2012

Wow, and just when you think it couldn't go any more wrong...

This movie was utter rubbish story-wise, plot-wise and character-wise. Basically, now everyone is a clone in the movie, or they have super-human abilities, which has gotten to the point where it is just painful to witness and has become a parody of itself.

The zombies in the movie, well they are either fast and agile, running around like marathon sprinters, or they have mutated tentacles sprouting from their mouths. And the licker, well it is abnormally large now, but oddly enough, still surprisingly easy to defeat. And let's not forget the giants with the giant archaic weapons. What is up with that? It was just stupid on a level that was offensive to everyone. And, of course, let's just finish off the movie with some strange mutated flying creature, because all the previous messed up stuff wasn't enough.

The story in "Resident Evil: Retribution" is the worst in the series so far, and it has gotten to the point where it has become an abomination and downright ludicrous. It has strayed so far from the core essentials of the Resident Evil legacy (much like the video games have done, as well) and it is all about super-humans, grotesque mutants and clones!

Was it nice to have old characters revisited from previous movies? No! Was it a good idea to let the audience believe that they were clones and apparently always had been? No! Did it work out on any level that The Red Queen was brought back into the frame and that a crappy CGI animation appeared with a sinister-little-girl's voice to do evil deeds? No!

I had very little expectations for this movie, as the movie franchise has been steadily sliding down a steep downward slope since part two. And this movie does absolutely nothing, and I do mean nothing, to try to correct upon the downfall or the horrible mutation that the movies themselves have turned into.

Well, it wasn't all bad. The action scenes and sequences were actually nice enough, well executed and nice enough to look at - if you can cope with the uncanny jumping abilities and super-human strength most of them seemed to possess.

"Resident Evil: Retribution" is a shallow action movie that tries to stay afloat with its 3D effects and on the fact that it bears the name "Resident Evil". As a fan of the first three games and the first two movies, I could only sit here shocked and horrified, shaking my head in complete disbelief at what this had turned into.

If you like zombie movies, then "Resident Evil: Retribution" is not a very good choice to sit down and watch. Was it a good addition to the franchise? Well I believe I hardly have to state that here (just read above).

With the pain and embarrassment of this movie, I dread what the next one will be like.

Waste of time

Author: neil-pimblett15
30 November 2012

To be honest this film is a complete yawn-fest from the beginning to the end. TOTALLY unrealistic action scenes do little to improve a boring and tedious plot line.

A film too far, by far. Have always found previous films in the series to be entertaining (in a rather mindless way), and have been worth the watch, but I am sorry to say that this film does not follow this pattern in anyway.

Although having polished CGI, these do little to improve the film with its wafer-thin plot line. You just sit there in the action scenes bored to tears as you have seen it all before.

A film for hard-core Resident Evil fans only I fear and there are far better films out there than this to spend your valuable time watching.

Cheaply Milking the Cow

Author: Vlad_the_Reviewer from Netherlands
30 November 2012

Retribution is the fourth installment of the Resident Evil saga. It's a zombie movie. A woman fights zombies and takes it up with Umbrella, an evil corporation.

The move doesn't have much going for it, despite some decent effects. Scenery was mediocre. There wasn't a budget for a decent writer though. I won't spoil it but the story-line is comparable with any b-movie.

I could more or less defend the storyline of previous episodes, but this last installment is just horrible. It has new outrageous monsters, but are engineered without much fantasy. Heck, the actresses couldn't even carry their guns. Their hands and arms were shaking in an effort to keep these things aimed properly. Really annoying for a person who pays attention to detail. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

Sienna Guillory plays the character of Jill Valentine once again. In her First incarnation she was a good cop with short dark hair and dressed like Lara Croft. In this movie she was the evil chick with long blond hair, wearing a way too tight jumpsuit with too much cleavage accompanied with an endless stream of bad acting.

In the end Jill and our protagonist duked it out. Wasn't worth it. So the camera perfectly presented Jill's cleavage at the same time. Needless sexualization is a mandatory thing in Hollywood, I get it, but I don't accept this excuse. Also Michelle Rodriquez is part of the scene again. She did what she does in almost all of her movies: her small share. Not noteworthy this time, although I realize she has her own fan-base. I like seeing her too.

And finally, our heroin had some help from some old friends: Luther and his gang. Man did they act bad.

It looks like only Mila and Michelle tried their best. What the heck was the rest doing? I have no reason to dislike any of the actors or their roles. So that's not it. I wish I could have been more enthusiastic. Their acting was plain and simple far below par.

I love the Resident Evil franchise. I was looking forward to see Retribution because I didn't think they were going to make it worse than the previous episode. I was wrong. There was no heart in this movie. I can live with the ending, though it's not a great one; A cliffhanger promising an epic next installment. Don't count on it.

My score: 4/10. I feel this is a straight-to-DVD release.

oh my good god...

Author: grasberger from Austria
30 November 2012

I think those were not Nazi Zombies....they were Red Russian Army Zombies.....on Motocross Bikes hunting the main characters in a car chase while firing at them....enough said ?? This movie was really the worst and dumbest (ok I didn't expect too much) in the whole series. what a waste of time. The first minutes were really well done - the idea of the reverse intro was good and the little scene in die suburban area was stolen from the Dawn of dead remake - but quite cool as well. This is what earns 3 of 10 - All the other parts (espacielly part 1)of the series were at least really good "brains off" fun. But I can't turn off my brains that much ;-)

Stupid, Stupid... Did I mention STUPID?

Author: Jamie-Grant from United Kingdom
21 October 2012

Dreadful, from start to finish. The opening scene played backwards, which I thought was pretty cool, exposing the audience to the plot. I said to myself "I really don't want to see this again played forward"... Low and behold, the entire sequence I JUST WATCHED played again in normal speed. Bullets didn't hit anyone, the Umbrella goons died almost exactly the same way every time, characters (or rather actors) were wooden, just a god awful film!

The plot... let's face it, there was no plot. "Escape from this massive Umbrella facility, by the way your friend is being brainwashed and will try to kill you." It felt very forced, like the script writers had run out of ideas, but Milla Jovovich hadn't run out of bullets yet.

The ending was bizarre, lazy and just plain silly. Rain, from the first film, reappears as a clone and is injected with some sort of worm. This worm allows her to bare sub-zero temperature without injury, literally PUNCH PEOPLE'S HEARTS, STOPPING THEM, dodge bullets... whatever.

Then we cut to the Whitehouse, where Wesker has become the President. Not surprised. It appears this is humanity's last ditch attempt to save itself from the undead hordes.... Wait a f*ucking minute - Umbrella has the resources to maintain hundreds of high tech facilities around the globe, command airship squadrons, clone FREAKING SOLDIERS, and is still locked in a battle with the undead?! And to top it off, what can only be described as ZOMBIE DRAGONS appear at the end. Yeah the soldiers were the ones with the flamethrowers, but boy were those flying things dragon-like.

In the words of the famous critic - THUMBS DOWN

Easily the worst RE yet.

Author: iateyourham
17 October 2012

The movie starts off with a promising beautiful shot of Milla floating surrealistically in the water. You start wondering what happened and you're eager for the story unfold and find out more. But then a badly done cgi opening sequence in reverse starts unfolding and all the mystery and suspense is just ruined. This movie is for people who have no appreciation for suspense being built up. The action just vomits on the screen endlessly without thought or build up. And the whole thing is made worse by the realization that all of what you are seeing is a hologram illusion created by the Red Queen AI trying to kill all humans. It's ridiculous because there is no explanation why the red queen couldn't just endlessly create Executioners. The fight with the licker is over in a pathetic 2 seconds. The old chemistry with rodriguez is completely missing. The RE franchise has been going downhill but this movie took it off a cliff and nosedived it.

Resident Evil 5

Author: camelat from Brazil
17 October 2012

Not like the other resident evil's movies, this sequence made me regret the money I spent at the movie theater. There is a weak plot and too many special effects and bullets in this movie. Sincerely, I fell asleep during the movie because it just didn't get my attention. But I really liked the resident evil 1 and the sequences 2,3 and 4. This movie also doesn't have the essence of Resident evil, the suspense, the thrilling things that happened in the other movies. I hope next sequence they put another director with better vision of the storyline since Resident evil 1. In order to succeed for the 6th sequence, I would say that the director should watch the 4 first Resident Evil movies before doing a lousy movie like Resident Evil 5.