IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Retribution

Resident Evil: Retribution More at IMDbPro »

Page 24 of 44: [Prev][19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [Next]

Simply amazing, Awesome cast, and astounding special effects.

Author: vadim1110 from United States
17 September 2012

I first seen the Resident Evil series in 2010, when Afterlife came out, so I watched the entire series...and I must say, I was counting the days when I heard Retribution was coming out. And I Sep. 14 I went with some friends and we had a blast. The movie was amazing, Milla was kick ass as usual. and you can see Paul Anderson's touch in the film. I loved it, nonstop action and gorgeous babes kicking ass....Retribution was made as a Action/Horror film, so all you people complaining that there's not enough character build up and blah blah, shut up!, its not a drama and its prob. not gonna win an Oscar, but if your a RE fan, you'll simply love Retribution! 15/10 :) enjoy

Mind Blowing

Author: andrealoian from United States
15 September 2012

Resident evil retribution is the best one of all of the other movies the special effects where amazing Milla and the whole cast did a great job. It does not look the way you think when you first start to watch the move but then it starts up and then it never slows down. This movie keeps you in your seat the whole time. When the movie ended I was very sad that it was over I did not want it to end. You should never listen to the gamers or critics they don't know anything the gamers always complain that the movie is not like the games or things like that don't listen to them this is a must see movie! Milla never disappoints she is great go see this movie!!

Good action flick but you'll wish there was a better plot!

Author: Bhavesh Bhatia from India
14 September 2012

Milla Jovovich butt-kicks her way into the undead territory in Resident Evil: Retribution, the fifth video game-based zombie catastrophe movie in the franchise.

Milla Jovovich moves from her usual skin-tight leathers and ugly buckle wear, and dons a jeans, with blond hair and a sweet cute little girl.

One does not have to wait long for evil to strike, sending property sale values plunging as zombies run riot around the city smashing brains and looking for blood.

How that happens, along with the rest of the messed up plot, doesn't really matter. Resident Evil was not always known for its story as much as it was known for its action-packed thrill-to-kill sequences. And the 5th edition does not disappoint. The flaws in the movie are covered up by narratives. It's the same blood curdling carnage as the first four movies, with 3D effects spilling blood, blades and body parts into the audience amidst a non-stop bombardment of gunfire and explosions.

Once again, determined Alice stands against the evil with whips and huge rifles from a backpack holster and takes out monsters, drooling zombies and bad guys employed by the ugly Umbrella Corporation. The deadly virus Umbrella designed for biological warfare is still out in the open and is now being tested on overseas population worldwide. Alice ends up globe trotting along with new side-kick Ada Wong (Bingbing Li).

Fight scenes are thrown very generously throughout the movie. Slow- motion digital graphics make bullets dance while Alice literally flies, jumping from one victim to the next with her guns blazing and using their bodies as if they were pommel horses.

Alice is helped by a few good men, some of whom she knows from earlier movies. A computer called the Red Queen, designed not to take no for an answer, make life difficult for the little band of fighters.

Writer-director Paul W.S. Anderson was not content to stick with drooling zombies and fountains of blood and he takes the movie a level higher with x-rays that show bones getting crushed and hearts getting ripped off from the arteries as one gets hit.

The special effects are imposing but they tend to become a pain to the eye after some time, making Resident Evil:Retribution a movie shot on a stage with a bloody digital world created around it as a backdrop.

When we last see Alice, she is standing on the roof of the White House with her gang while D.C. is ravaged by winged zombies. Prelude to a sequel? Let's wait and watch!

Greate animation, story...just soso

Author: yuan gao from Australia
13 September 2012

The animation is great, the movie worth a 3d ticket. The story is little bit easy, director want to expend the story of resident evil to a serial. Better to enjoy it in the cinema with at lease 3D. In the end of the movie, there seems something between libingbing and the Russian guy. I think they may be the double face between red queen and boss. Most of the shoot remind me of the Call of duty, it is almost the same with the game, when they fright with the zombie in the restrant. The biggest surprise is the RR, can you believe that even 007 did not have that fancy car. the fright during the riding is so amazing . I like that extrodenery fighting.

Resident Evil: Retribution is by far the best sequel in the series

Author: scott_1589 from Australia
14 September 2012

I've followed the Resident Evil film series since it started in 2002. I am also a big fan of the video game series and have played and finished every main game in the series since it started way back in 1996. Trust me when I say I am a fan and take my word for it. This is the best Resident Evil film to come out since the 2002 original.

Now let me start by saying that I prefer the video games over the films. But I'm fine with the main character Alice being an exclusive character to the movies and the films being set in separate universe. In fact I've always argued against the idea that movies should be set out EXACTLY like the games. Where is the fun in that? These movies are meant to be a different version to the games universe. Comic books do it all the time.

Resident Evil: Retribution is not to be taken too seriously. The movie is meant to be fun and thrilling and it succeeds! It has the thrilling jump scares and tense moments known from the original and 'Extinction' and the campy fun factor of 'Apocalypse'. While the 4th entry Resident Evil: Afterlife's special effects, stunts and camera work were impressive, its story served as bridge between 'Extinction' and 'Retribution'. It followed up on 'Extinctions' main plot points while setting up the 5th film with a cliffhanger. Unfortunately I thought 'Afterlife' was the worst entry in the series though, even though i found it quite enjoyable.

Paul W.S Anderson takes 'Afterlife's direction and does everything right this time round with 'Retribution'. The slow-motion isn't over the top this time and the action sequences are so much better. The plot isn't AMAZING, but THERE IS A PLOT! MINOR SPOILERS: Alice is held prisoner in an Umbrella Facility until a a spy and a elite squad move in to rescue her. It sounds like a recreation of the first film, and trust me there is plenty of homage to it. But 'Retribution' is much more imaginative this time around as it uses more monsters from the video games and makes use of the quirks exclusive to the series such as 'the clones' and 'Alices Gift'. Characters dead from the previous films make a return. The whole film works so well as a sequel because it mixes elements of nostalgia along with fantastic stunt work and special effects.

This film rocks. Its the best sequel in the series! If you want to know how I rank them 1:Resident Evil 2.Retribution 3.Extinction 4:Apocalypse and 5:Afterlife. I'm a fan of great plots in films, and the trick is not to take these Resident Evil films too seriously. Give 'Retribution' a go its a lot of fun!

If you liked the other RE movies (not just saying you did) you'll love this one

Author: damonous from United States
16 September 2012

Since I've loved the prior RE films (save maybe #2/Apocalypse), and I thought Retribution was on par or a notch better then #4/Afterlife (which I considered the best to date) I feel I have to give this an Excellent rating.

You have to consider for yourself what camp you're in, before you can digest my rating or this review. Are you in camp that has complained for 10 years now like a broken record that the movies aren't a carbon copy of the video game storyline (which, as I recall, started out as essentially a haunted house type of game)? Are you in the camp that has complained for 10 years now that this isn't a studious courtroom drama? or Are you in the camp that thoroughly enjoys the always-inventive, always-surprising & twisting plot line that Paul W.S. Anderson has consistently brought to screen (either as writer or director, or both as in this one)? If you're in the latter-most camp, I think you'll enjoy Retribution. The budget is higher, the action set-pieces more numerous and over-the-top, the zombies are faster and more-varied, the 3D more in-your-face, and Milla just somehow keeps looking hotter with each film. What's not to love?

Having just seen this in multiplex-theater Imax, I was remarking with my friends that what's really cool about the RE films is how they add something subtle to each movie, which can make you look back on the previous ones in a slightly different viewpoint. Maybe not every plot-point is cleanly 100% covered every time in the series, but I give the film makers an A+ for having gotten to #5 and still having this much energy & purpose (with a #6 obviously being setup). Name another franchise with as much vigor & fun that has arrived at #5, hasn't been rebooted, and is this good.

And to any true RE Movie fan who might be hesitant to see this based on rumors about returning characters who were previously killed-off: rest-assured that it's handled in a cool way which is definitely not the most obvious.

Plot - OK; Graphics, animation, 3D - AMAZING

Author: Alex Thorpe (alex_thorpe_d@yahoo.com)
14 September 2012

I suggest that you go watch the other four Resident Evil movies (Resident Evil, Apocalypse, Extinction, Afterlife) before you go see Retribution. You will not understand the movie if you don't see the movies that lead up to Retribution. The plot may not be the best, but the action and the graphics, the 3D, everything that was filmed turned out to look and be amazing. It's as simple as this: If you watch the earlier movies and don't like them, don't see this movie. If you are a fan and like/love every single movie in the franchise, definitely go see it! I'm not joking. If you have NOT seen the other movies, you most likely will not understand nor like this movie. In my own personal judgement, I thought this movie is the best of all the sequels, and I definitely hope they make a sixth one! So, if you haven't seen any of the Resident Evil movies, go watch them. If you like them, go see this one. If you don't, don't see this movie. Simple as that.

As far as my review of this movie goes, I LOVE IT. I love Milla Jovovich and the rest of the characters. I love that every movie brings those fighting scenes that are just INCREDIBLE. This fifth movie definitely has THE BEST and the most fighting scenes with other characters and the infected! I hope all the fans went or are going to see this movie because I know for a fact that the fans will love this movie! I send my thanks to Paul W.S. Anderson and everyone else that worked on this movie series!

Absolutely ridiculous

Author: industrija666 (industrija666@vip.hr) from Croatia, Zagreb
13 September 2012

After a major insult by Paul Anderson's latest, "RESIDENT EVIL: Retribution", there's a few words I must say about it. This could be Anderson's worst, perhaps even worse than the mega-flop "AVP". It's a no-brainer, but not a good-to-enjoy no-brainer. It's simply so terribly bad and poorly written, it could easily be compared to some of Uwe Boll's worst. Not to mention the constant and ongoing Paul's masturbation over Jovovich in tight outfits shot in irritating slow-mo, the OVER-THE-TOP-BAD plot. To make things worse, the CG/green-screen scenes are ridiculous, even more than usual. The fourth film installment is actually watchable compared to this one. And I'm not even overreacting. Oh....and Jill Valentine's character seemed to have bigger breasts in the second film. I literally yelled "NO,F****** GOD NO", when I saw the ending. Paul Anderson was sometimes a dirty pleasure for me. But not anymore.

No Retribution

Author: view_and_review from California
23 January 2017

The Resident Evil series jumped the shark with Afterlife and I thought Retribution would be just that: retribution. I thought they'd use this movie as a means of making amends, righting the wrongs, correcting the blunders and all that good stuff. Instead they laid another egg.

Again the acting was poor, the story half-brained and the fight sequences putrid. There was nothing redeeming about exposed gun fights with high powered automatic weapons yielding no target hits (besides the faceless goons), or the slow motion, bordering paranormal fight sequences that were horribly choreographed and terribly executed. And is it too much to show someone actually running when they're running? You know: arms moving, head bobbing, face contorted with heavy breathing and other known characteristics associated with running. Instead we get glamour running. Hair neatly flowing in the wind, face at ease and arms and legs moving symmetrically all in slo-mo.

This movie did nothing to atone for Afterlife. This was no retribution.

These movies make money... that's all that matters.

Author: paulandersonpuss
25 November 2016

Why is there no zero in the options? If I could give it -10 I would.

I don't have to say anything negative about this movie because others have done it.

I would like to say something about the upcoming sequel resident evil the final chapter.

That movie is going to suck big time, just like the other ones of this franchise.

You might ask, "It hasn't come out yet so how can you tell?"

The answer is, judging from previous movies namely afterlife and retribution, you can just see W S Anderson doesn't give a s..t about storytelling. This franchise is Anderson's attempt to keep his wife, Jovobitch, employed.

In an interview many years ago, Jovobitch said with a smug face, "We make these movies to make money."

The question is, are you going to keep letting Anderson and his wife serve moviegoers this crappy franchise and get your money?

Enough said.