IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Retribution

Resident Evil: Retribution More at IMDbPro »

Page 22 of 42: [Prev][17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [Next]

dumb fun!!

Author: fritzlang from Durham, NC USA
21 September 2012

This movie was fun.

Yeah, it was dumb.. stupid.. a lot of it didn't make any sense.

Honestly, does anybody go to see a Resident Evil film for logic? to gain insights into the meaning of life?

I hope not!

This is a Resident Evil film, a sequel, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

That means.

1) Visually beautiful. Personally, I think Paul W.S. Anderson has an incredible eye of cinematography. His films have scenes that are truly breathtakingly beautiful to me.

2) Great action!

3) Great over-the-top-defying-gravity-n-logic stunts!

4) Great creatures and special effects!

5) Mila Jovovich in skin tight leather kicking butt!

6) Great use of 3D! I personally find Paul's films have some of the best use of this technology.

7) A thin veneer of a plot, just enough to string together the action scenes.

8) Minimal character depth - just enough to keep you from hating the actors.

9) Plot holes that you can drive a mack truck through, and logic that will make your head hurt - if you spend any time really thinking about it.

Looking at this list, do you think 'Cool! I want to see it!" or do you focus on #7 through 9 and go "ugh, another dumb big action film."

I believe how you answer that question will decide whether or not you will like the film.

Me? I loved it. Saw it in 3D IMAX, which I really think helped.

7/10 for sheer entertainment value.

Great action movie, don't expect slow dialog.

Author: plantmanknowswhereplants from United States
19 September 2012

Milla Jovovich returns in Resident Evil Retribution, along with Michelle Rodriguez(Rain), Sienna Guillory( Jill Valentine) From the fourth movie, and Boris Kodjoe as Luther West from the second and third movies to name a few. I enjoyed the returning cast, Michelle Rodriguez has been one of my favorites that has been absent from every movie except the first one and whom I felt played a very compelling role in the TV series Lost.

The plot takes some reading between the lines, and I think an understanding that certain details are ultimately left out of the movie to build suspense for a later sequel, or at least I got that feel from a few details that were left open ended by the end of the movie. The movie does explain the previous movies in an acceptably short time frame to give just enough details so that a first time viewer can pick up on the Resident Evil story "so far" however I strongly recommend viewing the previous movies first for any new comers to the series.

There aren't a lot of character conflicts, There aren't a lot of overly long drawn out emotional scenes. I think these are all fine oversights because the movie focuses on what it is supposed to do and does well: Lots of action. It seemed like every moment of the movie something was happening to the point where there was no reason to slow down and clutter it up with a long dialog scene here or there. It was paced well, wasn't drawn out to long, and changed enough to avoid becoming tedious.

I thought the movie was okay on plot, it did enough to be a movie and support the action. It scattered in some new details about Umbrella and it's opposition. I felt like a few details were intentionally left out for sequel(s), and like the other Resident Evil movies this one also ends on a cliff hanger.

I think some of the other action movies this year have been a bit of a snooze because they tried to hard to be epic in every way with big dramatic characters and big dramatic dialogs, this movie picked action and did it well. I rated this movie based on the merit of being an action movie as a 7, maybe just below that but not quite a six.

Stylish and interesting entry

Author: quinnox-1 from United States
18 September 2012

This film is a departure from the other movies in the series in terms of the filming style and story sequence, its more experimental and unusual, which was refreshing even if not entirely successful. Although the stylism can get out of hand at times, and sometimes seems rather artificial, the movie does accomplish the feeling of being a video game, which is what I think they were going for more in this installment. The action sequences are overall pretty good, if repetitious, and the story line, although simple-minded, is a decent enough backdrop for the theatrical and showy action scenes.

While I still think the third movie, Extinction, is the best one by far, this one I liked a lot more than the last one - "Afterlife", which I thought really stank. Nice special effects and visuals, and the 3D was not distracting or annoying, which was welcome (I tend to dislike 3D movies in general)

The Return Of Sienna Guillory

Author: mike-little3 from United States
13 October 2012

A good entry but not great one . Milla once again is great as Alice but it's the return of Sienna Guillory that steals the film . The trend continues as it's more of a action film than a horror film since the first one. And no real surprises which is disappointing ,also Afterlife is a better film than this one . You get some familiar faces also returning which is good, but things do seem rushed as the running time is around 90mins. plus the writing is lacking a bit, mashed up with lots of chaos to hide the weak points of the film & a borrowed element from another sci-fi film in the mix . It's entertaining enough & the return of Sienna Guillory is awesome but you'll want more.

Not best in series but still a good addition

Author: sean-cowan1 from Canada
8 October 2012

I don't understand the people that have literally bashed every single RE movie that has been made. The movies are supposed to be about one thing, and one thing only, hot women accompanied by a series of random dudes demolishing hordes of zombies and fighting Umbrella.

This movie has a massive amount of that, with Li Bingbing, Sienna Guillory, and Milla Jovovich all looking extremely hot. The action is fast paced and cut well, the cuts are not so fast that you can barely see what is happening (like RE 3). The hand-to-hand between Alice and Jill at the end is quite good.

The battle with the Las Plagas zombies was rather over-the-top and reminded me of Planet Terror. I didn't particularly like this part.

Wesker having to abandon umbrella due to the Red Queen was interesting. I believe that at the end of the next film there will be a final battle between Wesker and Alice.

Overall it gets an 8/10 from me. Like I said before, the two main elements of the formula which makes these films work were there, and despite my displeasure with the Las Plagas zombies, overall the film was good.

Okay, just okay.

Author: Hanam Hamid from Malaysia
16 September 2012

Resident Evil: Retribution - Back to basis. I would certainly recommend this movie because it never disappoint us for its action. But one thing I think they should improve is the storyline. It was so 'game', which the story exactly remake the first Resident Evil chronology. It was okay, but somehow we need something more than just the same storyline and actions for a few episodes now. Stop recycling the already-good-elements and start produce something new and thrilling. Even the choreography was predicted enough. Too much of The Matrix and Underworld. Seriously, you're good. It's time to be better. 3 and a half.

Resident evil retribution!!!!;)

Author: Santamariadarlin from United States
15 September 2012

Loved the movie it was awesome cant wait for the next one this movie was worth my money loved it Alice was great n she was hot zombies looked sickkkkkkkk overall I give this movie 10 stars because it was that good best resident evil movie lots of action!!! If I could give this movie 100 stars I would it all the all the actors looked like the actual characters from the game Michelle Rodriguez is a really good actor I was really happy when they brought her back I like how the zombies weren't slow looking the evolved lol they look all crazy now but it's cool because I'm tired of watching slow looking zombies great great great movieeeeeeeeere u should definitely go watch it u won't regret it unless ur like 50 or something ;))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) I hope they make the 6th one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3D has rarely ever been that impressive!

Author: Benedict Histrio Nix
1 October 2012

Where does this new hype of vanity on the story's and character's profoundity of action movies come from? That's so ridiculous! I am actually not a fan of zombie movies (I've seen around 4 apart from the Resident Evil series), but this movie can not be counted as a regular zombie movie. The intention of this movie isn't telling a story or creating interesting characters that one can empathize with. But to me this is a totally wrong trend of Hollywood, since movies shall show us what we DON'T experience in our everyday life anyway. A movie is a piece of art, and not the biography and analysis of a character (although this can also be very entertaining if it's innovative).

This movie is a superb composition of compelling sounds and 3-dimensional pictures of an amazing quality. Resident Evil 5 constantly generates an atmosphere that I have hardly ever felt before.

Those low ratings here are nothing but what happens, if the regular action-slasher movie audience, who doesn't understand anything from arts, prides itself on being oh so intellectual and vain. So far too vain to enjoy something, that provides the best of its kind. There were many engraving scenes or even just pictures that have the potential of becoming standards.

People who now talk about how abstract or illogical this movie is are bonkers, action and horror movies mostly have a similar background logic to cartoons or operas, which means - non! But if Maggie Simpson shoots the mafia or if Don Giovanni suddenly begins to sing while in a dialog nobody complains! Because this is what it is all about, because nobody expects science there, nobody expects reality, still everybody is wonderfully entertained! Why do you suddenly expect it here? I hate this reality show trend, shall even our movies now lose all their creativity and fantasy? Movies are for gaining a distance from our boring lives by diving into a world where nothing is impossible. Movies shall not just become mirrors of our society...

This movie gripped me and only released me, when it ended. There were only very few seconds where the thrill wasn't perfect. As the title says, the 3D is ideal for this movie, I would even say this movie benefits from it more than Avatar. The parts of the Resident Evil series that I have seen before were boring and gray in comparison to this one. The creatures which appear are not really disgusting or shocking, you don't have to be afraid of bad dreams after watching Resident Evil 5. A few scenes could be a little too thrilling for some people though.

Good action flick but you'll wish there was a better plot!

Author: Bhavesh Bhatia from India
14 September 2012

Milla Jovovich butt-kicks her way into the undead territory in Resident Evil: Retribution, the fifth video game-based zombie catastrophe movie in the franchise.

Milla Jovovich moves from her usual skin-tight leathers and ugly buckle wear, and dons a jeans, with blond hair and a sweet cute little girl.

One does not have to wait long for evil to strike, sending property sale values plunging as zombies run riot around the city smashing brains and looking for blood.

How that happens, along with the rest of the messed up plot, doesn't really matter. Resident Evil was not always known for its story as much as it was known for its action-packed thrill-to-kill sequences. And the 5th edition does not disappoint. The flaws in the movie are covered up by narratives. It's the same blood curdling carnage as the first four movies, with 3D effects spilling blood, blades and body parts into the audience amidst a non-stop bombardment of gunfire and explosions.

Once again, determined Alice stands against the evil with whips and huge rifles from a backpack holster and takes out monsters, drooling zombies and bad guys employed by the ugly Umbrella Corporation. The deadly virus Umbrella designed for biological warfare is still out in the open and is now being tested on overseas population worldwide. Alice ends up globe trotting along with new side-kick Ada Wong (Bingbing Li).

Fight scenes are thrown very generously throughout the movie. Slow- motion digital graphics make bullets dance while Alice literally flies, jumping from one victim to the next with her guns blazing and using their bodies as if they were pommel horses.

Alice is helped by a few good men, some of whom she knows from earlier movies. A computer called the Red Queen, designed not to take no for an answer, make life difficult for the little band of fighters.

Writer-director Paul W.S. Anderson was not content to stick with drooling zombies and fountains of blood and he takes the movie a level higher with x-rays that show bones getting crushed and hearts getting ripped off from the arteries as one gets hit.

The special effects are imposing but they tend to become a pain to the eye after some time, making Resident Evil:Retribution a movie shot on a stage with a bloody digital world created around it as a backdrop.

When we last see Alice, she is standing on the roof of the White House with her gang while D.C. is ravaged by winged zombies. Prelude to a sequel? Let's wait and watch!

Greate animation, story...just soso

Author: yuan gao from Australia
13 September 2012

The animation is great, the movie worth a 3d ticket. The story is little bit easy, director want to expend the story of resident evil to a serial. Better to enjoy it in the cinema with at lease 3D. In the end of the movie, there seems something between libingbing and the Russian guy. I think they may be the double face between red queen and boss. Most of the shoot remind me of the Call of duty, it is almost the same with the game, when they fright with the zombie in the restrant. The biggest surprise is the RR, can you believe that even 007 did not have that fancy car. the fright during the riding is so amazing . I like that extrodenery fighting.