IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Retribution

Resident Evil: Retribution More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 43:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Spend your money elsewhere!

Author: ironhead32 from Canada
16 September 2012

I first like to say that I am a fan of the Resident Evil Franchise. I've watched all the movies and played all the games. That being said, this movie is horrible. The whole movie seems like a opening scene, just bullets and explosions for 95 minutes.

The new characters are forced, the dialogue is horrible. The only reason anyone seemed to like this movie was because they got to stare at Mila for an hour and a half. If all you want is to stare at Mila use a Google images search.

They could have cut this whole movie down to 20 minutes and given us a real story for the next hour. But that would require writing a decent script. If the dialogue in this movie was more that 20 pages I would be surprised.

How any one can defend this movie baffles me. Please spend your money elsewhere, if I could go back in time I would watch something else. You can wait until it's on Netflix, trust me. If they make money on this film they will continue to puke out this drivel banking on fan loyalty.

This movie was a serious disappointment.

A waste of my theater going dollars

Author: stevemontebello from United States
15 September 2012

I have enjoyed previous installments of this franchise and went to see this most recent entry in 3D. Not having seen anything in the new 3D format I felt this action movie would be the one to showcase this technology. I was wrong. I found the 3D effects were most prominent on the periphery of the screen and distracted from the foreground action.

As far as the film itself, little plot development to the franchise theme, pretty vapid dialog (when there is any dialog)and no character development.

I enjoy action movies but can do without 90 minutes of frenetic action that does not really forward a story.

Hollywood - Please return to story telling without all the unnecessary gimmicks.

Avoid like the T-virus plague

Author: TiredCamel from United Arab Emirates
14 September 2012

There are so many things wrong with this film that it's difficult to know where to begin, but let's try:

1. It's confusing

2. It's confusing

3. Did I say it's confusing? Well, it's confusing

4. The acting. The acting in this film is so bad I'm sure it will be shown in acting school as a warning. One exception is the big monster thing, who I felt brought a sorely needed subtlety and pathos to the character

5. Someone says: "Synchronize watches"

6. Someone says: "OK, let's do this"

7. Almost every idea is an unoriginal one: the clones (Matrix), the simulated environments (Truman Show), the angry zombies (Twenty Eight Days Later), etc

8. The gunfights. In a world of endless violence, do we really need another Hollywood film with a fetishistic display of guns?

9. It has a car chase in it...yawn

10. It has females dressed in latex suits and fighting each other...yawn

This film pretty much sums up the state of Hollywood in 2012: it is a tired, unoriginal and ultimately cynical attempt to get your cash.

good movie for res fans

Author: trscg11 from United States
7 December 2012

is it a movie for film snobs? nope. is it for people who watch a film a week?. nope. what is this film? it's a cgi filled video game on wheels.

what gets me is all the negative reviews of this movie. what did you expect? an award winner? a picture that leaves a deep feeling of "wow what a thought provoking piece of art"? this is a video game put to the really big screen.

this is a movie to watch for big 'splosions and huge action.the best part of this movie is that people won't like it. are you a res fan? check. do you like movies that just entertain without pretense? check. like a movie that just kills a couple hours and makes you happy? check.

lets let the nature of this movie stand. it is what it is it's not high art, but f*** it 'splosions are awesome!

Here's what went wrong!

Author: lorenzon from Canada
26 December 2012

This is what happened when the crew decided to make this movie. Paul S. Anderson met his crew and asked them:

"OK people let's get some ideas about what this movie will have."

Staff#1 "-hey, how about we make it like the new games and make it a shoot fest?"

Paul S. Anderson- "Sounds good, Done!"

Staff#2 "Wouldn't it be cool if the zombies could drive cars and motorcycles and carry weapons and chainsaws?"

Paul S. Anderson- "Sounds good to me, Done!"

Staff#3- "you remember when Claire and Alice fought that giant axe guy in the fourth film? How about this time we let Alice fight two of them?"

Paul S. Anderson- "Good idea, Done!"

Staff #1-"You know the fans want to see other characters so why not introduce a few more like Leon, Ada and Barry?"

Paul S. Anderson- "Sounds good, Done!"

Staff#2-"Aren't we going to have too many characters running around? How about we kill off one or two?"

Staff#3-"We'll kill off Barry. Anyway he's an expendable character in the game."

Staff #1-" Yeah but make it a heroic death. Let's have him go out in a blaze of glory brandishing his famous magnum. Fans like that sort of thing"

Paul S. Anderson- "Sounds good, Done!"

Staff#2-" Hey I was watching Aliens the other day,wouldn't it be cool if Alice became a mother figure to some unknown little girl who gets kidnapped by a lichor and Alice has to save her like Ripley did?"

Paul S. Anderson- "Sounds good but we'll have to rework the lichors somehow. Done!"

Staff#3- "People liked the characters from the first film. It would be cool if we could bring them back somehow. It's a shame they got blown off with raccoon city."

Staff#2-"Hey if they can clone Alice why not her friends?"

Staff#3-" You're so right man. But where did hey get the DNA?"

Staff#2-" Does it matter?"

Staff#3-" It's just another Umbrella mystery. What do you think Paul?"

Paul S.Anderson- "Sounds good, OK people let's make this movie."

In the bathroom next to the meeting hall you hear a toilet flush. The fourth staff person comes out.

Staff#4- "Hey guys, sorry I'm late but I have a great idea for the story. If ties up all the loose ends. Umbrella finally falls. The cure for the plague is found and the world is saved. I also worked on a great script and intelligent dialogue. I even have a great idea for coaching some of the mediocre actors into believable ones."

Paul S. Anderson- "What are you talking about? We just worked out some great ideas. Lots of action, explosions, new characters. We have everything the fans want. As for acting? Did you see the first game? The lame voice acting did not deter its fans. These actors will do plenty fine for the fans. C'mon let's make this movie!"

And this is why this movie turned out the way it did.

5th Resident Evil film... not too bad

Author: sonicfan5715 from United States
4 January 2013

I would like to point out that these films (based on the hit video-game series) have been made for basically showing us zombies, lickers, and a variety of bad ass undead getting their asses handed to them by a smoking-hot Milla Jovovich in tight black spandex or skimpy dresses... And that's why we love them! But the major complaint about these films are the confusing story lines and such, people go in to see a movie like this and wonder wtf is going on (unless you've actually seen the first 4 films). As for Resident Evil: Retribution... I liked it, I probably liked it almost as much as Afterlife, probably my favorite in this series. It is very confusing at first, even for a follower of the films like myself, but it eventually comes together and you understand very quickly what was going on. And (I don't want to give away any of the awesome action scenes here) after they fight through everything in the film, they eventually join an old enemy, and clearly states without a doubt that there will be one more, possibly final film, with the humans taking their last stand against the mutant undead. (I am hyped!) It's actually nostalgic watching this film because it brings in a couple of old faces from the first three films, but it's for a reason that'd you'd have to watch the movie to understand. And we finally get Leon, from the games, into the movies, and it's great to see him. I'm actually not sure who plays him as I'm typing this, but he looked fine enough as Leon, and surprisingly had the hairstyle down too. Now the action and undead/mutants... fantastic, some of the best the franchise has to offer. We get a giant, mutant licker (harkening back to the original with a licker hunting them down), soviet Russian zombies that can actually shoot guns and ride motorcycles, a showdown with not one, but TWO Axemen, and one sexy cat fight scene (you'll see what I mean at the end of the movie.) Visual effects were very impressive, I would have liked to see this in theaters in 3D, especially the genius beginning credits when everything was playing backwards. All in all, 8 out of 10, just because the action was so damn awesome, but people get thoroughly confused during the storyline, and that kind of brings down the experience, but not by much. Very fun, and awesome movie if you're just looking to see undead becoming, well, dead!

This is a pure action 1hr SCI-fi movie, not a drama!

Author: legioner8800
7 December 2012

I am surprised, and kind-a disturbed by the ignorance of many of the viewers here. You should familiarize with what you are paying for before you spend money on movie tickets, return at home and criticize without understanding the concept.

Let me get some things clear:

* This is an action SCI-FI(=NOT REAL) movie - don't expect realism! This movie could only be compared to the 90's action movies with lots of cool effects. The first movie already set the tone that this is unrealistic story (do you believe that zombies actually exist?). If you want realism, become a volunteer in Iraq or Afghanistan.

* This is a part of s sequence - threat this as another part of the series. Why would you otherwise expect 1hr of references to the old movies, if it is supposed that you already watched them? This is not Star Wars! This part was a pure 1hr action instead of 1hr talks and clichés and like <1 min action. Find out what <<< holism >>> is and apply it to this movie franchise. Maybe then you will understand it.

* Why would you still compare it to the games? If you played the games and expect a movie on the games, basically you will be watching a game play-through. (Then I will be laughing on comments like "well spent money")

The only criticism that I have about the series is that Paul drifted away from the zombies being the main issue to being no obstacle at all and focusing on bigger issues like Wesker and stronger mutants. But I understand his decision. If he dramatizes the zombies every new episode the script would be trivial like those TV zombie series. After all , the main character matures and learns how to kill zombies better.

This is a pure action SCI-fi movie, not a drama!

Are you still confused? Then, probably the RE movie franchise isn't for you.

What. Was. That?

Author: Phlebotinum87 from Australia
16 September 2012

I have just finished watching the fifth installment in the Resident Evil series with my house-mates after getting psyched for the next bought of cameos, action sequences and a view into the ever popular theme of 'Zombie Apocalypse'. I've come away not only feeling robbed of the overpriced 3D glasses, but confused and angry, much like fat kid with no jelly. The movie opens with a fantastic sequence including a slow motion rewind of the fallout from when the Umbrella Corporation located our hero (Alice) aboard the supposed safe zone, a ship called Arcadia. After watching the battle unfold, including the first (of what soon becomes tiresomely many) Tom and Jerry-like showdowns between Jovovich and Guillory (Valentine), the audience is treated to several relayed shots of action scenes from the previous movies, all of which is conveniently explained by Alices latest unkillable female friend, Ada Wong (Bingbing Li). Helping the ladies escape are a team of male characters, some referencing previous movies (Boris Kodjoe as Luther West) and some as a nod to the original video games (John Uurb as Leon Kennedy) What follows is two hours worth of unfinished plots, confusing references, sudden appearances of cast members playing multiple parts (Good Rodriguez, Bad Rodriguez) and more stock henchmen, some of which are undead Nazis (yes, really). Large scale battle scenes take place in famous cities like Moscow and New York while the invincible ladies and their male friends (who get shot, but thats okay. 'Cause they're MEN) stumble closer together to finally make their way out of the newest Umbrella base, which is of course located in Russia. Underwater. And ice. And there's submarines. Confused? Good. So after a lovely Dawn of the Dead Esq scene that takes place just after the credits, Alice and Wong find themselves discovering a clone child, who thinks Alice is her mum. Alice decides to keep her brand new clone child, because, your face, thats why. The addition of a sudden maternal bond from the erstwhile stone cold undead killing machine feels out of place, so much so that the wooden interactions between the cast from that point on tells us that even the characters simply aren't buying it. The whole movie plays out uncomfortably, somewhere between seeing a train crash and hearing an old lady try to muffle a queef with her handbag. I strongly advise you to wait for DVD.

It's nothing about global!

Author: GabrielGray from China
15 September 2012

Frankly speaking I was a little concerned that I didn't watch the last (two?) episodes might have given me some trouble following the lines. Nah, it turned out fine anyway... Huge thanks to the opening "Previously on R.E." minutes, didn't expect to recall my shocked memory one decade back (that scientist headed off by elevator, ouch!)

Back to our new story, Milla stays the same strong, charming and loving Alice as we knew she would be. Pretty new face (here in this movie) Li presents another style of oriental sight which suits her just fine.

That's all I have to talk about this movie, thanks for reading... No? Oh, almost forgot about the "story". Well you know, they gave you the map, weapons show up just before you finish your last bullet, monsters never die easy, and so are the leading characters, talk to NPCs for necessary help and keys to the next level then through them out of your mind unless you need to use them later (yeah lady Ada in red I'm talking about you). Baseline: watch it the way you play R.E. the game without hitting your game pad and you won't be disappointed by the childish storyline or pale dialogues and the way they read them.

But don't get your pillow ready yet, I'm not saying this isn't worth watching. Visual effects and 3D usage are cut and finely designed. Throughout the movie you'll find it enjoyable and comfortable to watch, well except when Barry (or is it him?) busted one head of strawberry jam right on your face. And moreover, the backwards scene at beginning is truly brilliant and sparkle of the movie.

One last thing, for real now, what the hell do you mean by GLOBAL in big font on your poster when the most global thing I see are the empty theme parks 100 meters under the sea? Or next time you'll build a planetarium and claim it universal?

Fifth sequel with nonstop action , violent combats and spectacular images by computer generator

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
20 July 2013

The Umbrella Corporation's deadly T-virus continues to ravage the Earth, transforming the global population into legions of the flesh eating Undead. The human race's last and only hope, Alice (Milla Jovovich is the only actor to appear in all five films) , awakens in the heart of Umbrella's most clandestine operations facility and unveils more of her mysterious past as she delves further into the complex . Again Alice fights alongside a resistance movement (Boris Kodjoe, Johann Urb , Kevin Durand , Robin Kasyanov) in the continuing battle against the Umbrella Corporation and the undead . Meanwhile , Alice rescues her daughter Becky (Aryana Engineer , this role was not originally to be hearing-impaired, but after an outstanding audition, the role was given to Engineer) from starving zombies . Alice along with the valiant group rush to The Hive, where The Red Queen plots total destruction over the human race .

Fifth spectacular , action-packed and thrilling installment of the ¨Resident Evil series¨ , adapted from the video games characters produced by Hiroyuki Kobayashi . Yet another noisy film rendered from a video game which never gets as eerie as a Zombie picture should . Unstopped-action gore-feast that provides for high-octane escapist entertainment with some eye-catching visuals and pulsing soundtrack by Tomandandy . This exciting picture contains thrills , chills , action-filled with fierce combats and lots of gore and guts . The horror and action moments are fast moving and compactly realized , being the first movie of the series not to feature undead dogs . This sequel takes more , more approach , more fights , more blood and gore . The creepy images of wide range from the genuinely fantastic to the bizarre along with scary and amazing frames . It's predictable but we have seen the previous chapters , as there are 3 scenes from ¨Resident Evil : Afterlife¨ that were reused in this movie , but also its predictability is redeemed in part by the charismatic acting from the action-women , as Milla Jovovich , Michelle Rodriguez , Sienna Guillory and Bingbing Li . The flesh-eating mutants appearance deliver the goods , plenty of screams , shocks and tension . The make-up assistants create a truly horrible zombie cannibals and state-of-art FX won the Canadian Screen Award for Achievement in Visual Effects . Horrifying and astonishing images about apocalyptic events with destroyed cities, such as the fantastic scenarios in Washington totally inhabited by flesh-munchies creatures and White House surrounded by millions of zombies . Cool , luminous cinematography using Steadicam by Glen MacPherson and haunting , pulsing Techno-musical score by Tomandandy ; during the car chase with the Zombie Russian army the music playing is called 'Phantom Chase' , this references music from the original Bio Hazard video game. The motion picture was professionally directed with startling visual style , though with no originality , by Paul W Anderson.

The complete saga is formed by the following films : ¨Resident evil¨ by Paul W Anderson with Milla , Eric Mabius , Michelle Rodriguez , James Purefoy , Colin Salmon ; this is the best , dealing with a group of containment specialists are sent in and have to fight employees who have been contaminated , while A.I. computer instigates a series of defensive measures to contain the virus . It's followed by ¨Resident evil II : Apocalypse¨ by Alexander Witt with Jared Harris , Iain Glen , Oded Fehr , Sienna Guillory . Furthermore , ¨Resident evil III¨ by Russell Mulcahy with Ali Larter, Ashanti , Mike Epps , Oded Fehr and of course Milla Jovovich and ¨Resident Evil : Afterlife¨ by Paul W Anderson with usual actors along with Kim Coates , Sergio Peris Mencheta , Boris Kodjoe and Wentworth Miller .

Page 2 of 43:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]